Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016-2017 Indiana Pacers season (and the rest of the NBA)

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have this one in the bag, 3 straight wins which puts us ahead of the Bulls at 40-40. Bulls lost to the Nets, they are now 39-41! Heat and Wizards are currently tied at the Half 52-52. Go Wizards tonight. Pacers have looked great Offensively tonight, and beating a team they should beat. Since Lance came aboard this team is totally transformed into what many of us envisioned. I am hoping we draw the Celtics in Round 1 because I just think we match up really well with them in a long series. Their Big's are nothing to brag about (Turner could possibly have a huge series) and we can throw Lance on Thomas at times to disrupt him. Crowder is a good player but I don't think he can handle PG.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have this one in the bag, 3 straight wins which puts us ahead of the Bulls at 40-40. Bulls lost to the Nets, they are now 39-41! Heat and Wizards are currently tied at the Half 52-52. Go Wizards tonight. Pacers have looked great Offensively tonight, and beating a team they should beat. Since Lance came aboard this team is totally transformed into what many of us envisioned. I am hoping we draw the Celtics in Round 1 because I just think we match up really well with them in a long series. Their Big's are nothing to brag about (Turner could possibly have a huge series) and we can throw Lance on Thomas at times to disrupt him. Crowder is a good player but I don't think he can handle PG.

When I saw the Bulls lost to the Nets of all teams, I said things are definitely going the pacers way right now.

2 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

When I saw the Bulls lost to the Nets of all teams, I said things are definitely going the pacers way right now.

as hard as we are to figure out..the Bulls are every bit as confusing..

They had Wade and Jimmy Butler today..led by 11 in the 4th..and couldn't walk it home

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

If Lance is what this team needed, then why didn't we sign him this past offseason?

Not sure Bird even thought the team would respond like this to Lance coming back. Bird deserves huge credit for this gamble. This may turn out to be one of the top moves of the season if we win a Playoff series.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hes done better than I thought he would. Team seems to play with more fire.

I think Larry will admit he should have signed him at the start of the year...

..even though we had Rodney Stuckey ....and Glenn Robinson was coming on a bit..

........Larry never wanted Lance to go

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's just some history for everyone. The Pacers are arguably the best franchise that has never won an NBA Title.

thats an interesting discussion, i think the only team that can make argument against us is the utah jazz

like us, they have lost a lot of playoff games to some really good teams.  i just read they are the only nba team to have never lost more than 60 games in a season

still think the pacers have been better overall

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats an interesting discussion, i think the only team that can make argument against us is the utah jazz

like us, they have lost a lot of playoff games to some really good teams.  i just read they are the only nba team to have never lost more than 60 games in a season

still think the pacers have been better overall

I agree 100%, what Stockton and Malone accomplished during the 90's was off the charts. The 1997 Jazz were really awesome and had the Bulls on the ropes in the Finals when that series was 2-2, Game 5 was the flu game where Jordan squeaked out a win.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree 100%, what Stockton and Malone accomplished during the 90's was off the charts. The 1997 Jazz were really awesome and had the Bulls on the ropes in the Finals when that series was 2-2, Game 5 was the flu game where Jordan squeaked out a win.

Those Malone and Stockton teams have to be the best teams who never won a title. Those teams were absolutely dominate.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Those Malone and Stockton teams have to be the best teams who never won a title. Those teams were absolutely dominate.

Yeah I think the 1997 Jazz and our 1998 team was pretty even. The 2002 Kings were pretty special too, had Robert Horry not buried a game winning 3 at the Buzzer to even that up 2-2, Kings would've probably beat Kobe/Shaq in that WCFinals. I don't think LA overcomes 3-1.

Does anyone not think Paul George isn't a Top 10 player in the league now? It's Playoff time now baby! Paaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuul Georrrrrrge! If we draw Boston I think we win that in 6 or 7 and we avoid LeBron at least until the Conference Finals.

I look at all the players in the league and the only players that have an argument to being better than George are:

LeBron, Westbrook, Leonard, Harden, Durant, Curry, A. Davis = 7, I would give the nod to George over Cousins, Hayward, I.Thomas, Irving, DeRozan, CP3, Griffin, Lillard, Butler, and Wall. If I had to choose between PG and Leonard, I would actually take PG, PG is better Offensively, I would take PG over Harden as well. Harden is a flopper lmao 

I would say by the eye test, my top 10 players as of now in todays NBA are:

1. LeBron

2. Durant

3. Curry

4. Westbrook

5. A. Davis

6. Paul George

7. Kawhi Leonard

8. James Harden

9. I. Thomas

10. CP3

-these are basically the players I would want in that order, this list isn't based on Stats but it is just who I think is better than who in this order. Westbrook should win MVP though because he has averaged a TDB and OKC is 10+ games over .500 = 6th in the tough West.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say by the eye test, my top 10 players as of now in todays NBA are:

1. LeBron

2. Durant

3. Curry

4. Westbrook

5. A. Davis

6. Paul George

7. Kawhi Leonard

8. James Harden

9. I. Thomas

10. CP3

-these are basically the players I would want in that order, this list isn't based on Stats but it is just who I think is better than who in this order. Westbrook should win MVP though because he has averaged a TDB and OKC is 10+ games over .500 = 6th in the tough West.

That's a good differential.  Who would you/I want

I don't have Curry as a To-5 player because his defense is average on a good day..But I'd want him because the rest of te team could compensate for his defense

I have Leonard ahead of Paul and the Milwaukee kid with the name nobody can pronounce is in the Top-10

Isaiah is a great scorer but everybody targets him defensively

The problem with the MVP race is that James Harden almost averages a triple double, too.

His numbers are arguably equal to Westbrooks. Westbrook (31.7 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 10.4 apg)  leads the NBA is scoring. James harden (29.2. ppg, 8.1 rpg, 11.1 apg.) leads the league in assists. Hardens team has a significantly better record

Id pick Westbrook but its close

26 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's a good differential.  Who would you/I want

I don't have Curry as a To-5 player because his defense is average on a good day..But I'd want him because the rest of te team could compensate for his defense

I have Leonard ahead of Paul and the Milwaukee kid with the name nobody can pronounce is in the Top-10

Isaiah is a great scorer but everybody targets him defensively

The problem with the MVP race is that James Harden almost averages a triple double, too.

His numbers are arguably equal to Westbrooks. Westbrook (31.7 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 10.4 apg)  leads the NBA is scoring. James harden (29.2. ppg, 8.1 rpg, 11.1 apg.) leads the league in assists. Hardens team has a significantly better record

Id pick Westbrook but its close

If I was doing the MVP voting, I am not so sure I wouldn't put LeBron 2nd and then Harden. Westbrook is my pick though. The Greek Freak is the Milwaukee guy and he is without a doubt a Top 20 player in todays league, maybe Top 15. Between PG and Leonard it's a toss up really. I like PG's offensive game a tad better but Leonard does average more points a game. Leonard playing for POP really helps him in that system.

15 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

How about the Bulls with Bob Love, Chet 'The Jet' Walker, Jerry Sloan and Norm Van Lier?

'71 Bulls won 51...'72 Bulls won 57.

Bob Love averaged 25 points a game

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

How about the Bulls with Bob Love, Chet 'The Jet' Walker, Jerry Sloan and Norm Van Lier?

'71 Bulls won 51...'72 Bulls won 57.

Bob Love averaged 25 points a game

The 1997 Jazz probably shouldve won the Championship. They lost 3 games by 2 points to Chicago in that Finals and it took Michael Jordan to pull that off. The 1998 Pacers took Michael 7 games and was up late in Game 7 in Chicago before losing at the end. I have them as 1 and 2 regarding best teams not to win it all. The 2002 Kings would probably be 3rd, they had more overall talent than the Lakers had but the Lakers had Kobe and Shaq + Horry who was Mr Clutch!

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1997 Jazz probably shouldve won the Championship. They lost 3 games by 2 points to Chicago in that Finals and it took Michael Jordan to pull that off. The 1998 Pacers took Michael 7 games and was up late in Game 7 in Chicago before losing at the end. I have them as 1 and 2 regarding best teams not to win it all. The 2002 Kings would probably be 3rd, they had more overall talent than the Lakers had but the Lakers had Kobe and Shaq + Horry who was Mr Clutch!

Bulls won 50 games four years in a row in the early 70s...4 Hall of Fame players not counting Nate Thurmon who was added in the final year

It depends on what we're talking about when we say     'best team to never win'?

Best team for one year?. Obviously, that's the Golden State Warriors last year or the 76ers with Wilt in the 1960s (many years)

But over an extended time....? Those Bulls established the Chicago franchise

Tom Boerwinkle, Bobby Weiss

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Bulls won 50 games four years in a row in the early 70s...4 Hall of Fame players not counting Nate Thurmon who was added in the final year

It depends on what we're talking about when we say     'best team to never win'?

Best team for one year?. Obviously, that's the Golden State Warriors last year or the 76ers with Wilt in the 1960s (many years)

But over an extended time....? Those Bulls established the Chicago franchise

Tom Boerwinkle, Bobby Weiss

When I say best team not to win, I mean franchise to clarify. Warriors won it all in 2015. I just didn't clarify what I meant. The Jazz have never won it all, so their 1997 team is the best IMO franchise wise to never win one. The 1998 Pacers are 1b. The Pacers franchise as a whole is probably the best that hasnt won one though because they also had the 2013 team that lost to LeBron in 7 games. Paul George, David West, and Lance were pretty solid but when you face LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Allen that is a little much.

58 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I understand.

Houston, Orlando, Utah, Sacramento and Indiana are virtually the only franchises not to win, arent they?

its a bit more than that, the list from wikipedia is

suns

clippers

jazz

nuggets

nets

pacers

magic

t wolves

hornets/cats

grizzlies

raptors

pelicans

the kings and hawks both got their only title back in the 50s, before the merger.  Cleveland was on the list before last year

wonder what a pacers vs jazz all time, all star match up would look like

id make the pacers line up

PG- mark jackson

SG- reggie

sf- pg13

PF- george mcginnis

c- ric smitts? not sure who to put here

what would the jazz team look like?  they better come strong, this pacers line up is pretty ridiculous

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

wonder what a pacers vs jazz all time, all star match up would look like

id make the pacers line up

PG- mark jackson

SG- reggie

sf- pg13

PF- george mcginnis

c- ric smitts? not sure who to put here

what would the jazz team look like?  they better come strong, this pacers line up is pretty ridiculous

The Jazz would probably roll with

PG John Stockton

SG Pistol Pete Maravich

SF Gordon Hayward  

PF Karl Malone

C Mark Eaton