Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Move To A 3-4 (Hypothetical)

JWF

Ok so Im just speculating that we do move to a hybrid 3-4/4-3.

Who do you think on this roster fits into it?

Sorry if there is a duplicate thread. I looked but didnt find anything.

My quick list:

DE's:

Moala - played the position in college

Anderson - a better run defender who probably has the size and strength to play there

Nevis - he's more of a 3-tech guy but he's a talented player and worth a look at the spot

NT:

Johnson - I think he's the only guy on the roster with the strength to hold up. Probably not starting material though.

OLBs:

Mathis - I think he can make the transition

Hughes - worth giving the kid a shot to see if he can give us something there.

Wheeler - was a talented pass rusher in college and might be able to bring something to the table.

ILBs:

Angerer - talented player and could probably be a good fit at the WILB spot where he'll be protected.

Sims - probably a good fit at the WILB spot too. Not sure if he's big enough to handle the SILB

I think pretty much most of the DBs can fit in as really the 3-4 is only different on the front end but this team def. needs to get another safety to go with Bethea.

Looks to me like if Pagano does want to run the 3-4 we're going to need quite a bit of rebuilding to get it up to speed.

I agree with you, and if we do switch to a 3-4 or a hybrid, then rounds 2-7 in the draft will probably be defensive heavy. Maybe we'll pick Jared Crick from Nebraska. He's a big guy who according to scouts can play DE in both the 3-4 and the 4-3. If not for his injury he may have been a top 15 pick but we'll be able to get him in the 2nd.

I agree with you, and if we do switch to a 3-4 or a hybrid, then rounds 2-7 in the draft will probably be defensive heavy. Maybe we'll pick Jared Crick from Nebraska. He's a big guy who according to scouts can play DE in both the 3-4 and the 4-3. If not for his injury he may have been a top 15 pick but we'll be able to get him in the 2nd.

Which is going to leave us with a huge hole at WR and on the o-line...

That's why I think is going to be a more than one year rebuilding process even if we do go to the 3-4.

Which is going to leave us with a huge hole at WR and on the o-line...

That's why I think is going to be a more than one year rebuilding process even if we do go to the 3-4.

Exactly. It's going to take a few years to make the switch, which I'm fine with if we truly are rebuilding. But if Peyton stays then we should stick with the 4-3 for now.

Exactly. It's going to take a few years to make the switch, which I'm fine with if we truly are rebuilding. But if Peyton stays then we should stick with the 4-3 for now.

Right. Honestly if we go to a 3-4 I think you are going to see us do a ltitle work on the secondary because it needs work regardless but the main focus will be on finding a DT because we don't have anything close to what you need for a DT for a 3-4. The rest of the draft will be be focused on finding the tools you need for Luck, namely the o-line, because what's the point to having a franchise QB if you can't protect him?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens because there are so many directions the Colts can go in in so many areas.

i cant really see us signing most of our guys that will be fas so that will clear some space

Not much most of it is tied up in guys who are already under contract.

Think about it right now if we keep Manning, draft Luck and keep Freeney that's almost 70 million or almost half the cap for three players.

Think about it right now if we keep Manning, draft Luck and keep Freeney that's almost 70 million or almost half the cap for three players.

well luck is 25 mil but the hit is only 5. freeney i think we need to recontruct so his contract is more cap friendly and as for manning well thats up in the air.

well luck is 25 mil but the hit is only 5. freeney i think we need to recontruct so his contract is more cap friendly and as for manning well thats up in the air.

I don't disagree with you. That's why I said as it is now. I was just saying right now it's going to be hard to make moves in free agency till we do some works on the contracts we have at the moment.

If we extend Freeney and cut Manning we are going to have a lot more money to work with. Lots of things are up in the air right now.

So the nose tackle position definitely needs to be upgraded. Worthy from Michighan State should be available in the 2nd round for the Colts. He was great at the position there although they ran a 4-3 defense, I think he is talented and big enough to become a nose in the NFL. Not sure what teams in college ran the 3-4 that would actually have NFL level talent, would be worth a look to see if they have any NTs coming up in the draft. But for the most part I agree with the OP. The only problem I see is Mathis might not be retained considering the situation. If Manning leaves, I see the Colts letting alot of the veterans walk and go into complete rebuild mode, especially if they are implementing a completely different defense. Regardless, it will interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think your assessments are pretty accurate based on physical size and adaptability. Essentially our DT's would be DE's in a 3-4 and we need to get someone big enough to anchor the middle...maybe Dontari Poe or Alameda Ta'amu if either is still available...they might not. If both are off the board then maybe a WR or CB would be best. Mister Cobble would be a good pickup if still available in the 3rd or 4th rounds. My biggest concern is if Mathis and our LB's can rush the passer. This is a major requirement in a 3-4 and something they haven't done from a standing position.

I think Freeney is the odd man out...he is a 5 technique all the way and I don't see him rushing from a LB spot like an OLB. He is as much power and technique as he is speed...but speed is what's required here. I actually think Mathis is a faster pass rusher and can make the adjustment more easily.

The defense should be more 4-3 regardless of Manning.

It depends on who we keep on defense. Specifically if we keep Mathis or even Freeney. I hope we keep both but Freeney might have to take a step back in pay and his role on the field.

I do believe Mathis will get a contract he's willing to take. Mathis proved he's a valuable asset because he can take over the defense at times and literally take lead by example. Anytime the defense was making a stop or tackle he and Angerer were the first ones there, not to mention the sack fumbles. Pay him now if he doesn't workout long-term, cut him later.

Im not so sure about Bracket either. He's become very injury prone. The DBs,other than Bethea, will be looked at closely

I think your assessments are pretty accurate based on physical size and adaptability. Essentially our DT's would be DE's in a 3-4 and we need to get someone big enough to anchor the middle...maybe Dontari Poe or Alameda Ta'amu if either is still available...they might not. If both are off the board then maybe a WR or CB would be best. Mister Cobble would be a good pickup if still available in the 3rd or 4th rounds. My biggest concern is if Mathis and our LB's can rush the passer. This is a major requirement in a 3-4 and something they haven't done from a standing position.

I think Freeney is the odd man out...he is a 5 technique all the way and I don't see him rushing from a LB spot like an OLB. He is as much power and technique as he is speed...but speed is what's required here. I actually think Mathis is a faster pass rusher and can make the adjustment more easily.

We'll see what happens with a 3-4.

I will say this I think losing Dwight Freeney and Peyton Manning the two men the team has been built around for the past 10 years or so would be a huge blow for a lot of fans but I don't think that's a break point.

If the Colts dump Freeney and Manning and lose guys like Saturday and Wayne they aren't rebuilding they are blowing the whole thing up and starting over and it'll be interesting to see how the fanbase as a whole responds to that.

almost $70 million? Peyton's cap hit will be $17million...Luck's cap hit is expected to be $5 to $5 1/2 million...and Freeney's is $19 million...as it stands, that is at most $41.5, not even CLOSE to $70...

also keep in mind that Collins/Painter/Orlovski combined to make almost as much as Luck will...and i know that if Peyton is healthy, i would much rather Luck be our back up than Collins/Painter/Orlovski...

with that said, Freeney's contract was back loaded like that with the intention of redoing the deal when we got to this poing...i mean when you look at it, the franchise tag next season for DE is barely over $10 million and thats the average of the top 5 highest paid at the position, i believe

almost $70 million? Peyton's cap hit will be $17million...Luck's cap hit is expected to be $5 to $5 1/2 million...and Freeney's is $19 million...as it stands, that is at most $41.5, not even CLOSE to $70...

also keep in mind that Collins/Painter/Orlovski combined to make almost as much as Luck will...and i know that if Peyton is healthy, i would much rather Luck be our back up than Collins/Painter/Orlovski...

with that said, Freeney's contract was back loaded like that with the intention of redoing the deal when we got to this poing...i mean when you look at it, the franchise tag next season for DE is barely over $10 million and thats the average of the top 5 highest paid at the position, i believe

According to this it would cost 50 million for Manning and Luck. That's the number I've seen reported with them. Also based on this story Luck's contract is slotted at 15 million for the up coming season.

http://nfltraderumor...s-50-5-million/

Freeney is scheduled to make 19 million so add that together and you get almost 70 million.

With that said clearly you can work on deals to lower that number but right now the Colts could be in place to pay nearly half the cap to three guys. If things don't change we aren't going to have money to go for free agents.

All I am trying to point out is that at the moment we don't have money to go play for free agents. Again that can and probably will change.

Now with that said maybe I am miss understanding these stories here and those aren't the cap numbers. If they are you add them together and get 50 million. Either way cap or no cap 70 million for three players isn't exactly pocket change.

According to this it would cost 50 million for Manning and Luck. That's the number I've seen reported with them.

http://nfltraderumor...s-50-5-million/

Freeney is scheduled to make 19 million so add that together and you get almost 70 million.

With that said clearly you can work on deals to lower that number but right now the Colts could be in place to pay nearly half the cap to three guys. If things don't change we aren't going to have money to go for free agents.

All I am trying to point out is that at the moment we don't have money to go play for free agents. Again that can and probably will change.

that is the actual dollars perhaps, but the ONLY # that matters is the SALARY CAP #...and that # is around $41million for Manning + Luck PLUS Freeney even without restructuring his deal.

that is the actual dollars perhaps, but the ONLY # that matters is the SALARY CAP #...and that # is around $41million for Manning + Luck PLUS Freeney even without restructuring his deal.

Real money is still real money and I got news for you 70 million for three players is going to be alot even for Jim Irsay. With that said I wouldn't be shocked if he pays it.

If Pags is going to a 3-4 right away then a fat NT is all that is needed to get going. Freeney would be released or traded, because he cannot play the run. Mathis can play OLB, and I see Hughes playing OLB also along with Conner and Sims.

Brackett ?

Angerer

Wheeler and whoever else inside.

Pags has coached the DB's his entire career so this position worries me least.

I love the idea of an aggresive D with this hire. But the unknowns on Pags HC "qualities" scare me just as much... Oh well, gotta get your start somewhere and sometime.

This entire off season and upcoming regular season will not be dull.

If Pags is going to a 3-4 right away then a fat NT is all that is needed to get going. Freeney would be released or traded, because he cannot play the run. Mathis can play OLB, and I see Hughes playing OLB also along with Conner and Sims.

Brackett ?

Angerer

Wheeler and whoever else inside.

Pags has coached the DB's his entire career so this position worries me least.

I love the idea of an aggresive D with this hire. But the unknowns on Pags HC "qualities" scare me just as much... Oh well, gotta get your start somewhere and sometime.

This entire off season and upcoming regular season will not be dull.

In a 3-4 defense you want your outside linebackers to rush the passers as much if not more than you do your d-ends in a 4-3 defense. You count on your front three and two middle linebackers to be the run stoppers in a 3-4.

For what it's worth Herm Edwards thinks we will go to a 3-4 and expects us to keep both Freeney and Mathis and expects them to make the move to outside linebacker and thinks they will do just fine.

The biggest thing standing in the way of us going to a 3-4 is really don't have any of the front three for a 3-4. We could move a guy like Moala to end but then he is out of poistion. A guy like Anderson is probably going to be undersized for a 3-4 end. With that said if we make the move to a 3-4 we might have to live with that for a year or two till we get the peaces in place because you don't get all the peaces needed for a 3-4 in one off-season. The biggest MUST if we are really going to a 3-4 is that we have to find a couple of really big guys to play in the middle one to start to and at least one to back them up because right now we really don't have anyone big enough for a 3-4 DT.

In a 3-4 defense you want your outside linebackers to rush the passers as much if not more than you do your d-ends in a 4-3 defense. You count on your front three and two middle linebackers to be the run stoppers in a 3-4.

For what it's worth Herm Edwards thinks we will go to a 3-4 and expects us to keep both Freeney and Mathis and expects them to make the move to outside linebacker and thinks they will do just fine.

The biggest thing standing in the way of us going to a 3-4 is really don't have any of the front three for a 3-4. We could move a guy like Moala to end but then he is out of poistion. A guy like Anderson is probably going to be undersized for a 3-4 end. With that said if we make the move to a 3-4 we might have to live with that for a year or two till we get the peaces in place because you don't get all the peaces needed for a 3-4 in one off-season. The biggest MUST if we are really going to a 3-4 is that we have to find a couple of really big guys to play in the middle one to start to and at least one to back them up because right now we really don't have anyone big enough for a 3-4 DT.

Right On... a couple fat NT's and Indy will be in business... And if Indy really is going to a 34, we will find them.

But I think Freeney will be gone unless he restructures his contract.

Real money is still real money and I got news for you 70 million for three players is going to be alot even for Jim Irsay. With that said I wouldn't be shocked if he pays it.

\

my whole point is that all three as it stands now would make $41million vs the salary cap...yes, it is real money, but my point is that what counts is the salary cap # as far as being able to sign players to the team...

and i also pointed out that Freeney's contract was back loaded like this specifically to be cap friendly in the first few years and then be re-worked at the end (now)....so if you subtract Freeney from the picture, Peyton + Luck will count roughly $22.5 million vs the salary cap...this past season, Peyton + Collins + Painter + Orlovski counted nearly the same amount vs the salary cap.

We will either restructure/extend Freeney's deal, or he will likely not be on this team. a $19million salary cap hit for him is unacceptable no matter how you look at it...however if healthy, a $22.5 million cap hit for Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck is very reasonable.

Right On... a couple fat NT's and Indy will be in business... And if Indy really is going to a 34, we will find them.

But I think Freeney will be gone unless he restructures his contract.

I think they are going to work on Freeney's contract and he'll probably get it extended. That's what the local media seems to think is going to happen at least. The early number I've seen floated out there is that it would lower his cap number down to about 13 million. Again though we've seen in recent weeks that the local media isn't always right.

I think it is also worth mentioning that losing Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney would be a huge blow to the fanbase as a whole. I am not saying it'll stop the Colts from doing it if they think it is best but I think it would be hard for the fanbase as a whole to say good bye to the two faces of the franchise and probably their best two players over the past 10 or so years in one off-season. Add to that maybe also losing Saturday and Wayne as well and it's just going to be hard for the fanbase to swallow. Again I want to be clear I am not saying it WONT happen because of that.

\

my whole point is that all three as it stands now would make $41million vs the salary cap...yes, it is real money, but my point is that what counts is the salary cap # as far as being able to sign players to the team...

and i also pointed out that Freeney's contract was back loaded like this specifically to be cap friendly in the first few years and then be re-worked at the end (now)....so if you subtract Freeney from the picture, Peyton + Luck will count roughly $22.5 million vs the salary cap...this past season, Peyton + Collins + Painter + Orlovski counted nearly the same amount vs the salary cap.

We will either restructure/extend Freeney's deal, or he will likely not be on this team. a $19million salary cap hit for him is unacceptable no matter how you look at it...however if healthy, a $22.5 million cap hit for Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck is very reasonable.

It might be reasonable the question then becomes does Irsay think the 70 million for three players (as it stands right now) is something he can pay. Like I said in my previous post it wouldn't shock me at all if he does pay it. At the sametme though that's not pocket change even for Jim Irsay even if the cap numbers do work.

I also agree with you that I think something is going to be done with Freeney's contract. It wouldn't shock me at all if the Colts decide to keep Peyton that once they do if Peyton doesn't agree to rework his deal a little bit to free up money. I was talking in terms of how things stand today. I freely admit those numbers can and probably will change.

The biggest MUST if we are really going to a 3-4 is that we have to find a couple of really big guys to play in the middle one to start to and at least one to back them up because right now we really don't have anyone big enough for a 3-4 DT.

The Ravens backup nose tackle Brandon McKinney is a free agent. If they go to a 3-4, I suspect he'll be here, even if just for the short haul.

The Ravens backup nose tackle Brandon McKinney is a free agent. If they go to a 3-4, I suspect he'll be here, even if just for the short haul.

hey if we have the cap space and go to a 3-4 he would probably be a free agent that would make sense. We still have to find probably at least one more DT which maybe we could do in the draft. I am not saying we can't go to a 3-4 I am just saying we have a lot of peaces to get to make it happen.

It might be reasonable the question then becomes does Irsay think the 70 million for three players (as it stands right now) is something he can pay. Like I said in my previous post it wouldn't shock me at all if he does pay it. At the sametme though that's not pocket change even for Jim Irsay even if the cap numbers do work.

I also agree with you that I think something is going to be done with Freeney's contract. It wouldn't shock me at all if the Colts decide to keep Peyton that once they do if Peyton doesn't agree to rework his deal a little bit to free up money. I was talking in terms of how things stand today. I freely admit those numbers can and probably will change.

you have to take into account that the salary cap # isnt always the real dollar amount paid/owed...Peyton's actual salary for next season is only a little over $7million...and Freeney's base salary is far smaller than the $19 million that is his cap hit....with that said, it is entirely possible that Freeney was already paid his bonus money and is now only owed his base salary, but the bonus is pro rated for the duration of the contract...you follow what i'm saying? just because Freeney's cap hit is $19million, its likely that his bonus money was already paid and he is now only owed the base salary # even though it's lower than the cap #

it is still almost certain that Freeney will either redo his deal to make it cap friendly, or he will not be here next year, so the $70million # you mention becomes a moot point

guys, we don't need big fat guys to play on the Dline for a 3-4. Look at the Texans' line. JJ Watt is 6'5 288 lbs, Shaun Cody (their NT) is 6'4 301 lbs and Antonio Smith is 6'4 280 lbs. Yes size would help but it's more about technique. Moala played DE in a 3-4 at USC so he would not be "out of position" moving there and I think Antonio Johnson, Anderson, Nevis and Ricardo Matthews could also be used in a 3-4 DL rotation though Johnson probably is the only one suited as NT. We could add another NT in Josh Chapman or Dontari Poe who both have played NT in a 3-4 or go with someone like Kawann Short, Kendall Reyes, Brandon Thompson etc etc. Freeney, Mathis and Hughes would have to move to LB positions or be cut/traded. We should be able to get a pretty good draft pick for Freeney if they wanted to go that route and trade him. I'm not sure how willing he and/or Mathis would be to learn a new position at this point in their careers.

The question is not whether our guys are big enough, but rather whether these guys could learn the new positions and be effective.

guys, we don't need big fat guys to play on the Dline for a 3-4. Look at the Texans' line. JJ Watt is 6'5 288 lbs, Shaun Cody (their NT) is 6'4 301 lbs and Antonio Smith is 6'4 280 lbs. Yes size would help but it's more about technique. Moala played DE in a 3-4 at USC so he would not be "out of position" moving there and I think Antonio Johnson, Anderson, Nevis and Ricardo Matthews could also be used in a 3-4 DL rotation though Johnson probably is the only one suited as NT. We could add another NT in Josh Chapman or Dontari Poe who both have played NT in a 3-4 or go with someone like Kawann Short, Kendall Reyes, Brandon Thompson etc etc. Freeney, Mathis and Hughes would have to move to LB positions or be cut/traded. We should be able to get a pretty good draft pick for Freeney if they wanted to go that route and trade him. I'm not sure how willing he and/or Mathis would be to learn a new position at this point in their careers.

The question is not whether our guys are big enough, but rather whether these guys could learn the new positions and be effective.

This is an extremely solid point (or set of points).

To me, there are questions that still loom:

Will we re-sign Mathis? Wayne? Etc? Will Freeney restructure?

To me, all of these above questions may not be in our favor, as this major changes that have taken place could be unsettling to our veterans who are not used to the 3-4.

But, as for the rest of it, I would think we are absolutely capable of running a 3-4. We'll probably pick up a few no name FAs just like we did this year, and cap money will be moot because the guys they'll have the chance to go after won't be 3+ million dollar a season guys most likely. Someone had suggested Brandon McKinney, which I think is a sound thought. It's no different than when we raided the Titans PS for guys like Johnson, or the Packers PS for a guy like Muir. All the staff has to do is a look around and find some unproven guys that need a shot. Chances are, our 3-4 won't magically be the best the league's seen, but it will likely be an improvement over what we had... I mean, really, what wouldn't?

But, as for the whole cap discussion... the staff will grab the guys they can with the money they have. If it's a FA or a rookie, they'll find guys.

And, as I see it, we have plethora of options for DE with our current group of smaller DTs. We have a good number of options for OLB with Mathis, Freeney, Wheeler, Hughes, etc. And we have a guy who has a shot to be something special in the middle with Angerer. I don't see Brackett fitting in with this scheme, and I don't see us having a true NT. Though, we will find someone if we go that route. I certainly hope we do.

The Texan's front 7 are ALL a min of about 6' 4" and LBers all go 250, and DL are all 290 min. And Cody @ 301 is a very conservittive number. Not to mention they are ALL but 1 first and second round draft choices, they are a talented group.

Most all 34 NT' are "stout" .... ie chubby run stuffers. They have to be. The smallish NT's are by far the exception, not the norm.

Actually he is out of position as a 4-3 DT, he played 3-4 DE in college and was better suited there. He doesn't have the strength in the middle but can stand up and provide an edge.

I think He would be far more valuable as a 3-4 DE than as a 4-3 DT

I think the 4-3 under which is a 5-2 front would provide the best formation for the colts. I have been calling for this. It's similar to a nickel defense. Two middle lbs essentially.. And 5 on the line, Mathis could be that Sam lb who blitzes or covers the te, the you put big boys on the front with freeney still as the RDE, then bigger dt's maybe Nevis and Thompson and either a drafted de or Anderson as lde who can pass rush but that player needs to set the edge.