Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm not saying I'm ready to fire Pagano...

Indi Warrior

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Could've but also don't ignore that the Colts have started slow many times with Luck at the helm.  Heck...it happened just last week.  lol  So this suggests to me that the slow starts are indicative of a larger problem not just who is starting at the quarterback position. 

As I've said a million times, the biggest factor was Dumb Chuck hiring an OC with a flimsy resume. I know, you disagree.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

As I've said a million times, the biggest factor was Dumb Chuck hiring an OC with a flimsy resume. I know, you disagree.

We have to respectfully disagree BOTT.  I know we have clashed several times on a few topics.  lol

I will just say that...we have changed offensive coordinators and the slow starts still persist...at least for now.

We have played under multiple quarterbacks (not by choice) and have seen that all have been prone to the slow starts as well.

The one constant in this is Chuck Pagano.  So in a way...I agree that "Dumb Chuck" is the biggest factor.  Pep was his scape goat but he is running out of them if things don't change quickly.

As far as flimsy resumes go...Chuck had no previous head coaching experience when hired by the Colts and Griggson had no GM experience.  So Pep's resume was par for the course for this organization of late.

8 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Pagano is a nice guy who gets behind his players but he's not a coach that's going to bring you SB rings. The Colts need a change and it starts with Grigson and Pagano. We'll never host the Lombardi with these guys running the show.

I really wish Harbaugh came back to the NFL. He would be a perfect fit here in Indianapolis.

I don't know about that.  There aren't too many head coaches still coaching in the NFL with a SB ring.  The others are trying like hell to get one.  The players play hard for Pagano and he has a great QB.  I think he has a better chance than most.   We were one of the favorites last year before the Luck injury and we still won 8 games.  Pretty amazing considering all of the other injuries.  

11 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We have to respectfully disagree BOTT.  I know we have clashed several times on a few topics.  lol

I will just say that...we have changed offensive coordinators and the slow starts still persist...at least for now.

We have played under multiple quarterbacks (not by choice) and have seen that all have been prone to the slow starts as well.

The one constant in this is Chuck Pagano.  So in a way...I agree that "Dumb Chuck" is the biggest factor.  Pep was his scape goat but he is running out of them if things don't change quickly.

As far as flimsy resumes go...Chuck had no previous head coaching experience when hired by the Colts and Griggson had no GM experience.  So Pep's resume was par for the course for this organization of late.

Well, we can agree on Chuck and Grigson.  It's odd that Irsay went with those two in the first place.  It's the exact opposite of what he did when he knew they were landing Manning....getting guys with experience.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Well, we can agree on Chuck and Grigson.  It's odd that Irsay went with those two in the first place.  It's the exact opposite of what he did when knew they were landing Manning....getting guys with experience.

Exactly BOTT...that is something that has really perplexed me about this new era.  We did a complete 180 in regards to getting coaches and front office personnel with experience.  Just because you want to change from one franchise quarterback to another and from one GM to another...doesn't mean that you discard the fundamental precepts that has elevated this franchise from joke to contender over the years.  Irsay seems like he is trying to prove that he is smarter and knows better than everyone else...conventional wisdom be ******. 

9 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Pagano is a nice guy who gets behind his players but he's not a coach that's going to bring you SB rings. The Colts need a change and it starts with Grigson and Pagano. We'll never host the Lombardi with these guys running the show.

I really wish Harbaugh came back to the NFL. He would be a perfect fit here in Indianapolis.

I don't get the love for Harbaugh.  I get that he had plenty of success in San Fran, but there's a reason why he was fired.  He wanted too much control over too many things, and his act can get pretty tiresome pretty fast

47 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don't think previous HC experience guarantees you success.  The list is long on the number of HC's who have coached multiple teams with little success.  They were all assistants at one time.  I believe Don Shula was a linebackers coach before we made him our HC.  They don't all work out of course. Some will move to another team and find success, like Belicheck and Dungy.  Same goes for GM's.   No guarantees.  I read where if we fired Chuck a few teams would have had immediate interest.  I am not for rushing to judgement.  I would like to give them a chance with a healthy team.  

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't get the love for Harbaugh.  I get that he had plenty of success in San Fran, but there's a reason why he was fired.  He wanted too much control over too many things, and his act can get pretty tiresome pretty fast

I totally agree. I like Jim but he is best fit for the college game IMO.

Right now Jim is smoking at Michigan with a 3-0 record so it's all good now.

The reason for the slow starts is:

First drive Colts reach the 46 yard line making it 1st and 10. The very next play Reitz gave up a sack for a 6 yard loss making it 2nd down and 16 from the Colts 48 yard line. The very next play Luck did not have time to complete his drop back or even make his first read before he was under pressure and had to get rid of the ball. The last play of the drive was a 3rd and 15 shovel pass to Turbin from the Colts 49 yard line which I didn't really like. There was a couple attempts to go deep on that first drive and move the ball in chunk yards but a penalty by Good, A sack off Reitz and immediate pressure all killed that drive

2nd Drive: That just came down to a couple of bad play calls and a 3rd down where the Lions just covered well and forced a 3 and out

3rd drive: Was the 2nd 3 and out in a row. I didn't like the first play design which was a run up the middle by Frank Gore. It called for Kelly and Good to double team the DT. Kelly stayed on the double team to long instead of chipping him and head up to the ILB.

The second play of the drive Luck had Moncrief out wide to the left 1 on 1 but Luck threw to Allen who was well covered by the LB who forced the incompletion.

The 3rd and final play of the drive Levy just read Lucks eyes on the route to Hilton and made a good play on the ball forcing the 3 and out. Wasn't a conservative play call. Everyone deep was well covered. Luck looked deep 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

What did Harbaugh want control over?

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think previous HC experience guarantees you success.  The list is long on the number of HC's who have coached multiple teams with little success.  They were all assistants at one time.  I believe Don Shula was a linebackers coach before we made him our HC.  They don't all work out of course. Some will move to another team and find success, like Belicheck and Dungy.  Same goes for GM's.   No guarantees.  I read where if we fired Chuck a few teams would have had immediate interest.  I am not for rushing to judgement.  I would like to give them a chance with a healthy team.  

I once read that Pep Hamilton was a hot HC prospect lol

20 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

From what I recall, he wanted more say in personnel decisions, but Trent Baalke didn't want to give him that control.

I think it was just because Jim is a nut.  But you should know that upon hiring him lol

How in the hell has pagano let us have so many secondary players with substantial injuries and not make any trades or pick up free agents? And gore is done we need a damn running back ! We are now 0-2 with nothing looking good going for us. Our sideline looks like a little league atmosphere with no direction. It's time to make a change at coach. Why in the hell did we sign him to a 4yr extension?

Same old same old... The Texans I can see taking this division by 5 or 6 games easy...Well at least over the colts.

I just don't see anything different in this team the last bunch of years??? Been a fan since 1958 and now its just getting boring. Until they win a game I just can't see them winning a game against the worst unless we get some lucky and I don't mean him we got that already and no real luck yet??????????????? OH, well Thank The Good Lord for my Music playing are I would be really bored and sick. 

PS. At least I always feel better when my most hated team loses!!!! The Ain't  s   !!!!!!

Edited by Coltsince4
thought of something

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

Good to know. haha

Thanks for keeping me laughing in chat today..   What a frustrating, disappointing day.

Hahah thanks!  Yeah I just made sure to set my expectations EXTREAMLY low especially after last year which helps.  I'm already done with this loss but absolutely have 0 confidence in their abilities.  If they do manage to do well, I'll be pleasantly surprised and very estatic.