Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WG 2016 Rookie Watch: Preseason Week 1

WarGhost21

This week, the Indianapolis Colts defeated the Buffalo Bills 19-18 in their first preseason game of 2016. In this article, I will cover what I saw from Ryan Kelly, Hassan Ridgeway, Josh Ferguson, and TJ Green. These 4 rookies all got the start on Saturday night. Here's what I saw:

Ryan Kelly, C

For the first time since the Jeff Saturday era, the middle of the line looked nice. A big part of this was due to first round pick Ryan Kelly. He showed great footwork and movement for a rookie, always moving forward in the run game and not letting anyone through the middle in the passing game. He showed outstanding mental processing for a rookie, always picking up the right block when needed. All in all, a great first showing for the first rounder.

TJ Green, FS

No matter how many people think Green was a reach and won't pan out, you can't deny his flash of potential Saturday. He finished tied for second on the Colts with 4 tackles, and had touchdown-saving coverage in the middle of the first, chasing a man down and denying the ball. He looked good and is seemingly catching on to our defensive scheme quickly. Don't be surprised if he shares the position with Clayton Geathers when he returns.

Hassan Ridgeway, DT

Like the first two, Ridgeway also looked good in the first game of the preseason. He pushed the pocket, and while it doesn't show in the box score, he really put the heat on the quarterback a few times. He showed good speed and power, and definitely showed us why some people considered him a first-round prospect.

Josh Ferguson, HB

Disappointing night for the Colts offseason hype man Ferguson. He rushed for 3 yards on 8 attempts. For those that don't understand, not good... He also missed a key block that allowed a sack deep in our own territory, ultimately leading to a punt block and safety for the Bills. He really proved that he still needs work before he can be as good as we thought.

Hope you enjoyed. Keep in mind that this is what I saw. Thanks for reading!

Nice summary man. I'm loving Kelly, and I was a big Ridgeway guy from back months before the draft. Mark my words. He could be one of the best DT's from this class when we look back in 2-3 years. I wasn't big on Green and I didn't like the pick, but he's already starting to prove me wrong. Hopefully we've found something special in him.

55 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Nice summary man. I'm loving Kelly, and I was a big Ridgeway guy from back months before the draft. Mark my words. He could be one of the best DT's from this class when we look back in 2-3 years. I wasn't big on Green and I didn't like the pick, but he's already starting to prove me wrong. Hopefully we've found something special in him.

The funny thing about Ridgeway is that people were upset that we passed on Malcolm Brown in 2015 but we got Ridgeway (who most analysts think is better) in 2016 and it only cost a 4th.

48 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The funny thing about Ridgeway is that people were upset that we passed on Malcolm Brown in 2015 but we got Ridgeway (who most analysts think is better) in 2016 and it only cost a 4th.

You're right, but no one knew that they could get Ridgeway with that pick when they passed on Brown and he did prove to be a really good player for the Pats.  

I think for me the biggest happy surprise was how good both the Stanford guys turned out to be for 3rd and 5th rounders.  We'll never know how Brown might have fit in with those guys, but hopefully we'll get a chance to see them thrive with Ridgeway! 

Nice summary OP.  I agree with all of it.  What concerns me most about Ferguson is his blocking abilities.  I've said this in enough threads but to me it's the most important part of a RB's game.  If he misses a block, Luck could be taken out for the year.  It happened to Montana.

But to be fair to him, there were no running lanes and they didn't take advantage of his best talent - catching the ball out of the backfield. 

26 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You're right, but no one knew that they could get Ridgeway with that pick when they passed on Brown and he did prove to be a really good player for the Pats.  

I think for me the biggest happy surprise was how good both the Stanford guys turned out to be for 3rd and 5th rounders.  We'll never know how Brown might have fit in with those guys, but hopefully we'll get a chance to see them thrive with Ridgeway! 

Brown wasn't that good IMO. He might break out this year, but we got the better player in Anderson.

5 minutes ago, tikyle said:

What about Blythe?  Has he played?  I haven't heard anything about him since the draft.  We need depth at OLine and any draft pick (even a 7th) I'm interested in even if he's the 3rd C.

At the time it looks as if he is battling with Harrison for the #2 C spot, and both of them are also putting in work at right guard. It will be close, but if we do only keep 2 centers, I would predict it to be Kelly and Blythe. Blythe has more youth and potential overall, and although Harrison has the experience, Blythe is the better talent.

On 8/15/2016 at 1:41 PM, JPFolks said:

You homers are just not watching the 5th rounders play with an open mind.
 We will see about year two. I know an o-coordinator would like game planning for him being On the field against the run and the pass.

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You homers are just not watching the 5th rounders play with an open mind.
 We will see about year two. I know an o-coordinator would like game planning for him being On the field against the run and the pass.

Homers? No idea what you mean by that? Is it a slur"