Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

depression

OLD FAN MAN

23 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I heard an idea somewhere that was actually intriguing.  Instead of making them play extra games, you limit each player to only 16 games meaning you have to sit out 2 games each season.  You could use a week where someone is dinged up and thus it's good not to make them play anyway., or you could give a healthy player an extra bye week.  It would mean you'd have to have a larger roster with a solid back up in every spot.  It would reward good teams who could rest their players late in the season while providing more parity which the league wants anyway.   It would retain all the relevance of NFL records since people wouldn't get 2 more games to add stats, (like what happened when they went to 16 games from 14) 

I think at the least it is interesting and a little radical, but moving the extra point was a good move, perhaps something like this would work.  It would really test coaching decision making.  

I was thinking about that idea, it really is interesting.  Of course, it will never happen but it would require some great strategy.  Do you wait until the end of the season for Luck's BYE weeks, hoping the games would be meaningless?  Do you put your back up QB in games because you know at some point they'll have to start?

It's more of a fantasy football type of idea, and again, it will never happen. But you'd think the players wouldn't mind if they did got to an 18 game schedule.

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was thinking about that idea, it really is interesting.  Of course, it will never happen but it would require some great strategy.  Do you wait until the end of the season for Luck's BYE weeks, hoping the games would be meaningless?  Do you put your back up QB in games because you know at some point they'll have to start?

It's more of a fantasy football type of idea, and again, it will never happen. But you'd think the players wouldn't mind if they did got to an 18 game schedule.

Well, you're right, it may be too radical for the NFL to do it, but keep in mind that right now you're getting only 16 games out of starters anyway... and you get 4 garbage games of elevated practice mostly for guys who won't even make the team.  The money would go WAY up with 2 more games that count, plus imagine if they did one more thing to REALLY make it exciting... they didn't require teams to report WHICH games were going to feature which players until say 2 hours before kick off.  The people who would lose big in this situation is the gambling industry and to be honest in my opinion, the power of those people would keep this from happening.  But if "safety" is really an honest concern, they can never make the case that adding 2 more live fire games to players is safer.  But doing this would actually keep people just as safe (actually healthier because they'd get more rest and recovery during the season) and would financially expand the income for teams, which owners wouldn't really have to share with players because the players aren't being asked to play more.  BUT, and this is a huge plus for players, it would likely add say 7 roster spots open per team taking it up to 60 (more than a 10% increase in opportunities to either make a team OR extend your career).  That would have to be really interesting to players I'd think.  

Imagine the exciting strategy decisions that would need to be made.  Do you rest your best players against teams you figure you can't beat, or just the opposite, risk it against teams you think you can beat WITHOUT your best players.   DO you rest your QB and WR's the same weak and just focus on running the ball all game? DO you try to predict what the other team will do etc.   I think it keeps players healthier, makes more money for the owners while giving more opportunities to more players to play in the NFL or extend their careers.  It gives fans something really exciting where a borderline playoff team might catch a great team on a QB off weak to help them make the playoffs.  It also would help with player development a great deal, say by having the practice squad players get to play in 2 live NFL games during the season far more often than now.  It would likely also facilitate more trades so people use a fill in and then trade them to another team for their fill in needs.  It helps the media a great deal and their ratings.   I only see the gambling and fantasy football worlds balking at it.  And those likely would be enough to stop it.  But the more I think about it, the more exciting it seems.  

'

On 8/8/2016 at 6:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I apologize when I get off topic sometimes on certain Threads but it happens. I just had to get my mind off of Football for a while after what happened LOL.

No Problem dude  my remedy is U.S.A starting with Mens BB & Womens Soccer topped of with Men & Womens Swimming & a side order of U.S Womens gymnastics that'll put a smile on anyones mug .:D

On August 7, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Malakai432 said:

Hah you got that right, Luck probably would've played on it also if they let him. 

Uh huh. Luck was was ready to "Let er roll. Let er roll, let er roll!" man. 

I still can't believe paint chipping in the end zone canceled a pre season HOF game. It's absurd isn't it? 

I have this app on my TV where you can check sports scores at any time & I was like why the hades is the box update blank? LOL! 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Uh huh. Luck was was ready to "Let er roll. Let er roll, let er roll!" man. 

I still can't believe paint chipping in the end zone canceled a pre season HOF game. It's absurd isn't it? 

I have this app on my TV where you can check sports scores at any time & I was like why the hades is the box update blank? LOL! 

Yeah I still am kind of like how can you mess something like this up lol.