Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Von Miller finally strikes deal with Denver

RockThatBlue

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And some thought Luck is being over paid? At least he is a quarterback.

One is being paid off of what he could potentially become and the other dominated an entire playoffs and Superbowl. With the recent defensive player contracts, I find it hard to argue against what Miller was asking for considering what he's done. Luck? He better turn out to be that guy that most hope for with his new contract.

22 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

One is being paid off of what he could potentially become and the other dominated an entire playoffs and Superbowl. With the recent defensive player contracts, I find it hard to argue against what Miller was asking for considering what he's done. Luck? He better turn out to be that guy that most hope for with his new contract.

It don't matter at this point. Joe Flacco got his huge contract and what has he done since the super bowl? These QB contracts are the norm now. Getting a big pay day was deserved by Luck IMO because of what he has already done in his first 3 1/2 years. After the 3rd year Lucks contract more than likely will turn out to be pretty team friendly with the raise in the cap.

4 hours ago, bayone said:

its only 70 million guaranteed & 114.5 overall, chump change 

Von Miller agrees to six-year, $114.5 

Is Von's new nickname "the cash register?" It sure sounds like it. 

Pink Floyd is that you I hear? "Money...Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash New car, caviar, four star daydream; Think I'll buy me a football team" lmao

It all depends on how it's structured, but I never expected Von to leave Denver.  I'm sure all sides are happy to get that deal done with.  I personally don't like paying non-QBs that kind of money, but:

1) Elway can build his team however he sees fit

2) Von was a huge piece in them winning the Super Bowl

41 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It all depends on how it's structured, but I never expected Von to leave Denver.  I'm sure all sides are happy to get that deal done with.  I personally don't like paying non-QBs that kind of money, but:

1) Elway can build his team however he sees fit

2) Von was a huge piece in them winning the Super Bowl

Paying Von 20 mil for one or two years is fine.

Here's the problem.

You have bargain QBs. Mark Sanchez is on a cheap deal....and they drafted the tall rookie..

Lets say Mark Sanchez has a Pro Bowl year (don't laugh..Rex Grossman led the Bears to the Super Bowl, right?) .

Sanchez wants Pro Bowl QB money next year..  $20 mil.

You've got the WR locked in at $15 mil...your new left tackle locked in at $15 mil.

Derek Wolfe got $10 mil....all 4 in tour secondary have good money deals..

and you have to pay Emmanuel Sanders elite money

You cant sign your own QB .......in a 'window' when you are a playoff team

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Paying Von 20 mil for one or two years is fine.

Here's the problem.

You have bargain QBs. Mark Sanchez is on a cheap deal....and they drafted the tall rookie..

Lets say Mark Sanchez has a Pro Bowl year (don't laugh..Rex Grossman led the Bears to the Super Bowl, right?) .

Sanchez wants Pro Bowl QB money next year..  $20 mil.

You've got the WR locked in at $15 mil...your new left tackle locked in at $15 mil.

Derek Wolfe got $10 mil....all 4 in tour secondary have good money deals..

and you have to pay Emmanuel Sanders elite money

You cant sign your own QB .......in a 'window' when you are a playoff team

Yeah, that's what the salary cap does.  However, even if Sanchez has an incredible season and wants $15+ mil a year, they'll have Paxton Lynch on a rookie contract, so I don't think that's overly concerning to them.  Lynch will have a year to learn and have Kubiak and Sanchez to teach him the nuances of being a pro QB.

24 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yeah, that's what the salary cap does.  However, even if Sanchez has an incredible season and wants $15+ mil a year, they'll have Paxton Lynch on a rookie contract, so I don't think that's overly concerning to them.  Lynch will have a year to learn and have Kubiak and Sanchez to teach him the nuances of being a pro QB.

Very true.....and the flip side of my scenario is that Lynch develops quickly...takes over at QB in late 2016 or pre-0season 2017 and the Broncos have a high-upside, low cost QB through 2019, at which time they can re-do- Von's deal or move on from him...

Denver could have called Von's bluff on his 'I wont play for a $14 mil franchise tag' , I think, because their backup OLBs (Shaq Barrett and Shane Ray) are not average players by a long shot...but, if Miller doesn't get hurt their defense should be as good as it was last year.

1st 3 games are Carolina , the Colts and Cincy, right?    With 'Magic Mark' at QB, maybe they do need all hands on deck defensively right away

14 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Elway obviously believes in what won him 3 SBs. It could blow up in his face eventually but until he quits winning SBs...lol

I don't think Elway has any hard and fast plans..on how to build a team...

He seems to react and respond...

Too much patience and too much loyalty probably hurt you as a GM