Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How the colts can become a contender again

Footballlax31

Basically, we need to stop falling behind 14-0 to start every game. Luck has some problem where he starts off terrible and falls behind early in games, then has to put the team on his back to make up the points that he cost them originally. This wasn't just last year due to his injury either, this has happened since his rookie year. We may of won a lot of those games, but if it continues, the laws of averages will catch up. 

We also need to have the offensive line improve this year. A lot of that will be on Ryan Kelly as he will be starting on day 1. If he busts, then we are in for a tough year, if he dominates, Luck can be a top 5 QB easily and we have a shot at the SB.

Personally, I think we go 9-7 or somewhere close. No pass rush and an iffy O-Line again along with the AFC South improving makes me think we are fighting for either a division win in week 17, or a wildcard spot. It would be nice if LaRaven Clark started day 1, but I don't think it'll happen.

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically, we need to stop falling behind 14-0 to start every game. Luck has some problem where he starts off terrible and falls behind early in games, then has to put the team on his back to make up the points that he cost them originally. This wasn't just last year due to his injury either, this has happened since his rookie year. We may of won a lot of those games, but if it continues, the laws of averages will catch up. 

We also need to have the offensive line improve this year. A lot of that will be on Ryan Kelly as he will be starting on day 1. If he busts, then we are in for a tough year, if he dominates, Luck can be a top 5 QB easily and we have a shot at the SB.

Personally, I think we go 9-7 or somewhere close. No pass rush and an iffy O-Line again along with the AFC South improving makes me think we are fighting for either a division win in week 17, or a wildcard spot. It would be nice if LaRaven Clark started day 1, but I don't think it'll happen.

The one problem is with that is Clark hasnt played in a pro style offense and is used to a two point stance. I wish Grigson got some more pro ready draft picks (ie Tj Green, Clark) especially with the 2nd and 3rd round picks, but im not the gm.

22 hours ago, Footballlax31 said:

The one problem is with that is Clark hasnt played in a pro style offense and is used to a two point stance. I wish Grigson got some more pro ready draft picks (ie Tj Green, Clark) especially with the 2nd and 3rd round picks, but im not the gm.

That is correct, which is why I was confused on why Grigson chose him. He is a player I really like, but we needed a player that could start immediately like Cody Whitehair. The future is supposed to be now with Luck, but it seems the future keeps being delayed. Hopefully the team can do well, it couldn't be worse than last year. I love most of the players we have, so I should get interested when camp rolls around as long as there's some progress shown.

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That is correct, which is why I was confused on why Grigson chose him. He is a player I really like, but we needed a player that could start immediately like Cody Whitehair. The future is supposed to be now with Luck, but it seems the future keeps being delayed. Hopefully the team can do well, it couldn't be worse than last year. I love most of the players we have, so I should get interested when camp rolls around as long as there's some progress shown.

He stated we have to draft for the future as well as the present. What was going on wasn't working with the band aid free agents. Just my guess anyway.

22 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Why couldn't it be worse than last year? Every team in the South improved and many experts believe 2 will pass the Colts. I do not think that but it would not surprise me if they are .500 or a little under. This team is going through a major overhaul.

41 minutes ago, Ollonesomeme said:

Why couldn't it be worse than last year? Every team in the South improved and many experts believe 2 will pass the Colts. I do not think that but it would not surprise me if they are .500 or a little under. This team is going through a major overhaul.

What experts say mean nothing to me. It meant nothing during the draft as I always do my own research, and it means nothing now as I think for myself. I agree every team improved and even if we go 7-9, as long as Luck doesn't get injured and our players develop well, I would still argue it would be a better year then the garbage dump that was last year.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He stated we have to draft for the future as well as the present. What was going on wasn't working with the band aid free agents. Just my guess anyway.

Luck's going to be close to 30 before the future is ready, which is really irritating to me. Kelly was a great pick, and you follow it up with two guys in TJ Green and LaRaven Clark who are projects. They may be great, but it won't matter this year, and it may just waste a year of Luck's career while 31 other teams are getting better as well. This is a big mess we are in, I hope training camp proves me wrong.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What experts say mean nothing to me. It meant nothing during the draft as I always do my own research, and it means nothing now as I think for myself. I agree every team improved and even if we go 7-9, as long as Luck doesn't get injured and our players develop well, I would still argue it would be a better year then the garbage dump that was last year.

So having a WORSE record than last year constitutes a better year? How in the world does that work?

There's a feeling that with Luck we will continue to be a contender or a winning team. After doing some research (albeit very inconclusive and short), it turns out that there is data that could be used as a counter argument.

Many would consider the following QBs to be in the top tier, or second tier of QBs (similar league as Luck):

1. Drew Brees

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Matt Ryan

4. Eli Manning

5. Philip Rivers

All of these QBs and their respective teams have had incredibly good seasons and also losing seasons. The Saints have finished 7-9 the last two years. The Falcons have finished 4-12, 6-10, and 8-8 the last three years. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers had an 8-7-1 season in 2013, while the Giants just finished 6-10 and the Chargers 4-12.

Having a good/great QB is of course helpful, however, it does not mean that those teams with these QBs are automatically contenders. It takes much more than just having a good/great QB. You have to have the right system, a complete team, and the division that you play in makes a big difference. I think the Colts can be contenders to be the AFC South champions, but not Super Bowl champions -- not with the defense they have.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

So having a WORSE record than last year constitutes a better year? How in the world does that work?

I thought you were smarter than that. A year where Luck is injured for the year and Hasselback is carrying a pathetic Colts team with no hope is much worse than a 7-9 record (both would miss the playoffs btw, so you have no argument that either is worse) where Luck can develop Chemistry with Moncrief and Dorsett, maybe the team can gel the way it potentially can when it gets to be SB contenders. 

The team you saw last year was a fake because Hasselback isn't our starting QB, with Luck, it's genuine, and an example of how the team will be ran in the future. If the team develops under Luck and goes 7-9, it's much better than a 8-8 hasselback team that has no bearing on the future.

For the past 3 or 4 years, my concern has been the disconnect between the strategy (strategies - if there ever was one) and the tactics (i.e. play calling and execution). To be a contender, we need better strategic planning and tactical alignment. We'll see if this problem has been fixed with the new coaching, but I remain unconvinced.

55 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I thought you were smarter than that. A year where Luck is injured for the year and Hasselback is carrying a pathetic Colts team with no hope is much worse than a 7-9 record (both would miss the playoffs btw, so you have no argument that either is worse) where Luck can develop Chemistry with Moncrief and Dorsett, maybe the team can gel the way it potentially can when it gets to be SB contenders. 

The team you saw last year was a fake because Hasselback isn't our starting QB, with Luck, it's genuine, and an example of how the team will be ran in the future. If the team develops under Luck and goes 7-9, it's much better than a 8-8 hasselback team that has no bearing on the future.

You're making no sense. If Luck is healthy and they win LESS games than they did last year without him, then something is seriously flawed with the team. The roster is overall better than it was last year as well, atleast on paper.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck's going to be close to 30 before the future is ready, which is really irritating to me. Kelly was a great pick, and you follow it up with two guys in TJ Green and LaRaven Clark who are projects. They may be great, but it won't matter this year, and it may just waste a year of Luck's career while 31 other teams are getting better as well. This is a big mess we are in, I hope training camp proves me wrong.

It takes time for any rookies to develop. Every player taken in the draft are projects because the have no NFL experience. That holds true for every GM in the league. I just don't see the doom and gloom you see but we will wait and see I guess.

On 7/3/2016 at 3:44 PM, SilentHill said:

1. Play 2016 Season

They are already contenders, IMHO having a QB like Luck makes any team a contender. A QB that can take the entire team on his back and win a game. I'd consider the Browns a contender if they had Luck.

Those were the first words in my mind. No defense will want to play the healthy Colts. A little successful balance in the play selection and IMO they will be a load. Also this defense plays much, much better with the lead so running the ball will help them stop the run. Plus we will have some full grown men coming back on D.

On July 8, 2016 at 0:47 PM, Restored said:

Simple. Enlist Donald Trump as acting GM.

Make The Colts Great Again

lmao Thanks for the good belly roll laugh. I needed that Restored. Thank you. 

Things could always be much; much worse. Touche. Point taken. 

On 7/8/2016 at 1:44 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

and you follow it up with two guys in TJ Green and LaRaven Clark who are projects. They may be great, but it won't matter this year, and it may just waste a year of Luck's career while 31 other teams

I usually understand peoples takes with their opinions, and the counter stances.  But the supposed 'wasting' of a year from Luck's career is one I cannot see.  Luck himself is still growing and learning. He was improving every year in 1-3, then fell of severely (injury notwithstanding) last year.  He has a ways to go to elevate his play to expectations of a #1 overall pick mentioned to be the best prospect since P. Manning / Elway.  Others learning their craft while Luck learns and improves alongside them does not appear to be wasting a year for anybody. I just hope Luck has nearly reached his pinnacle by 30.  Then he will likely have 7-9 ultra productive years barring injury.

Many elite QB's have their most production and highest statistical years after 30.  I pulled one (my favorite) stat for Peyton and Brady; yards per attempt.  This seems to make a case for keeping Luck healty, get him to peak, and have surrounding cast groomed  and in place for when he does hit 30 and beyond-

QB%20prime%20years_zpstcfrkzlo.jpg

So I get it, you want results, and now.   But from where I sit, The Colts, and Luck himself, are still in improvement mode.  And rookies that play at a pro bowl level first year is quite rare; especially in game critical situations versus a good vet.  Most all draft picks are projects at some level and sometimes the later round players develop into better all around players down the road.

But I get fro where you are coming from.  I was never a fan of the Bjorn Werner pick.  Some asked for me to be patient (reasonable) then it finally just didn't work.   But I won't say Grigs/Werner pick wasted 3 years of Luck's career either.  It's a team game.  And Bill Polian has always said you can't have the mindset that 'You are just one player away'.

To me, there's 53 on the roster, 48 on the sidelines, and injuries, large and small happening somewhat frequently. To draft picks and Vets alike. It's a team game.

Oh, speaking of Polian philosophy-

http://www.theonion.com/article/report-most-nfl-teams-just-1-or-2-overpriced-free--35516