Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Satisfied are you with Your Team's Draft? Highlight? Low Light?

Girlzarefanstoo

(MODS: I MEANT TO PUT THIS IN THE DRAFT SECTION, ALTHOUGH MOST IN THERE IS COLTS' RELATED.  PLS MOVE IF YOU NEED TO) 

We watched probably 80% of the draft over this week.  It's always such fun to see massive, semi-grown men cry!  

I hated that we were picking at #3 - hope never to be there again, but it did make things fun.  Like walking into a candy store and wanting it all.

I loved our #1 pick of Joey Bosa.  Everyone expected us to go OL or CB, but we have lacked a disruptive presence on D for too long.  We have enough other pieces that can get after the QB really well if this final piece is in place.  We finally have a true NT after losing J Wall (Jamaal Williams) 5 or 6 years back.  The last couple years' drafts have been toward the D and if we can get off the field more quickly and more often, Rivers will take care of the rest.

A lot of Chargers fans weren't happy at not going OL, but King Dunlap is a solid and effective LT and we have some good players there.  Yes, our OL needed strengthening, but mostly it just needs to be healthy.  Who we have are not terrible, you just can't go through 20 different combinations in a single year and stay competitive.  We're just fortunate that Rivers' head is still attached to his body.  

#1 TE on the board, Henry Hunter to eventually replace Antonio Gates (can't even think of him being gone but he will be in a year or two).

#1 Punter on the board, Drew Kaser.  Looks like Mike Scifres only 23 instead of 36.  Sad to see Mike go (Colts fans won't be though ;-) )

Center, Max Tuerk, only fell to us because he's rehabbing from an ACL injury but he should stabilize the center position which has been in flux since losing Nick Hardwick 2 years ago.  

LB Jatavis Brown can likely move to the safety as we lost Eric Weddle to the Ravens.  His pick was gushed over by all the commentators including Mike Mayock as being one of the top steals of the draft.

There's more but those are the highlights.  

In all honesty I don't think we had a low light this year.  No reaches.  We took every pick and got value at each level.  Signed 20 UDFAs and last year 6 UDFAS from the draft played for our team, some even started.  

I hope we're back on track.  How are you feeling about your team.

Is is August yet???!!!

35 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

(MODS: I MEANT TO PUT THIS IN THE DRAFT SECTION, ALTHOUGH MOST IN THERE IS COLTS' RELATED.  PLS MOVE IF YOU NEED TO) 

We watched probably 80% of the draft over this week.  It's always such fun to see massive, semi-grown men cry!  

I hated that we were picking at #3 - hope never to be there again, but it did make things fun.  Like walking into a candy store and wanting it all.

I loved our #1 pick of Joey Bosa.  Everyone expected us to go OL or CB, but we have lacked a disruptive presence on D for too long.  We have enough other pieces that can get after the QB really well if this final piece is in place.  We finally have a true NT after losing J Wall (Jamaal Williams) 5 or 6 years back.  The last couple years' drafts have been toward the D and if we can get off the field more quickly and more often, Rivers will take care of the rest.

A lot of Chargers fans weren't happy at not going OL, but King Dunlap is a solid and effective LT and we have some good players there.  Yes, our OL needed strengthening, but mostly it just needs to be healthy.  Who we have are not terrible, you just can't go through 20 different combinations in a single year and stay competitive.  We're just fortunate that Rivers' head is still attached to his body.  

#1 TE on the board, Henry Hunter to eventually replace Antonio Gates (can't even think of him being gone but he will be in a year or two).

#1 Punter on the board, Drew Kaser.  Looks like Mike Scifres only 23 instead of 36.  Sad to see Mike go (Colts fans won't be though ;-) )

Center, Max Tuerk, only fell to us because he's rehabbing from an ACL injury but he should stabilize the center position which has been in flux since losing Nick Hardwick 2 years ago.  

LB Jatavis Brown can likely move to the safety as we lost Eric Weddle to the Ravens.  His pick was gushed over by all the commentators including Mike Mayock as being one of the top steals of the draft.

There's more but those are the highlights.  

In all honesty I don't think we had a low light this year.  No reaches.  We took every pick and got value at each level.  Signed 20 UDFAs and last year 6 UDFAS from the draft played for our team, some even started.  

Is is August yet???!!!

Bosa isn't a NT.  He is a DE.  Way too small to play the interior of the D line .   He will play OLB in San Diego

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Bosa isn't a NT.  He is a DE.  Way too small to play the interior of the D line .   He will play OLB in San Diego

Of course he isn't a NT, we secured a NT in free agency, sorry I didn't make that clear.  Our Nose Tackle is Brandon Mebane.    

How was your draft?  

15 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Of course he isn't a NT, we secured a NT in free agency, sorry I didn't make that clear.  Our Nose Tackle is Brandon Mebane.    

How was your draft?  

Lots and lots of o line, me happy.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Lots and lots of o line, me happy.

Andrew NEEDS that protection - without it I don't want to see him injured again like last year :-( 

The draft is too overwhelming for me to keep track of everyone else's picks and what it means to each team.  I wish I was like Mike Mayock or these guys that can keep track of all of it but I can barely focus on our team, lol!  I do not know how anyone does it!

27 minutes ago, Jules said:

Chargers vs. Colts early in the year this season. Oh no.......if we can't do it now we never will. lmao 

LOL!  I thought of you yesterday when Mike Scifres (punter) was let go.  I remember how much you hated him after the 2008 playoff game.

32 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

LOL!  I thought of you yesterday when Mike Scifres (punter) was let go.  I remember how much you hated him after the 2008 playoff game.

lmao Good times!

I think I overreacted a bit after that game on the forums LOL.

I was pretty satisfied with the Colts draft, we got one of the best center prospects in a long time with Ryan Kelly and with the amount of time we've seen Luck on the ground and no holes in the run game, it was a much needed addition. 

T.J. Green has all the intangibles to be one of the top safeties in the league, and Pagano came over as a DB guru, so I'm confident when he gets his hands on him he'll turn him into a very good player.

Le'Raven Clark, to be honest, I don't know a lot about him. But he's apparently a G/T so i'm not going to complain about more offensive line. 

In the 4th, we grabbed Hassan Ridgeway who can play all over the defensive line but looks to be more of a DE in the 3-4, and I was stoked about him. He'll be a very good player as long as he stays motivated and should be a rotational player immediately. We also drafted ILB Antonio Morrison, which truth be told is the pick I don't understand. He's undersized and slow, meaning at best it looks like we may have a 2 down LB, but Grigs and Pagano raved about him post-draft and specifically his attitude/mindset, so I'll wait and see on him.

Don't know enough about our later picks/UDFA's to really say a whole lot about them but all in all I was satisfied with what we did. 

57 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

All colts fans hate scrifes.  He had a great run

1 hour ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

How was your draft?  

Ah,  ok. Makes sense now.  I was sure you guys were going o line after the trouble last year.    I'm not a big fan of bosa,   but I'm not an expert.     Actually.  Most college players outside of qb I'm a fan of don't work out.  Now that Peyton is retired,   I'm hoping you guys take that division 

I liked the Ravens draft, but I was shocked with they took Stanley over Tuensil, then didn't take Jack or Spence and traded back. Still they had a ton of draft picks, got some linemen , and pass rushers , but I would have liked to see them get Mac Alexander, instead of the 5'9" corner they got in the fourth round. 

Ask me this question in a couple of years. None of us really know how any draft is going to turn out. There are bust players every draft just like there are players who out perform what is expected of them. Opinions are plentiful but none are facts.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ask me this question in a couple of years. None of us really know how any draft is going to turn out. There are bust players every draft just like there are players who out perform what is expected of them. Opinions are plentiful but none are facts.

So true... all of us have had our hearts broken a time or two :(

Yet as fans we always dare to hope again - we're crazy or dedicated or both!

On 5/1/2016 at 1:12 PM, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I loved our #1 pick of Joey Bosa.  

Just took out the stuff I didn't plan on addressing to save space.

You enjoy watching massive grown men cry?  How horrible! lmao

One of hte funniest parts of the draft is when they showed Jerry Jones and the Dallas war room after the Chargers picked Bosa.  If only looks could kill.  That guy was positive he was going to get Bosa.  That's how it looked to me anyway.

HUGE Tuerk fan.  I did a write-up on him back in February and I saw him as a 3rd round prospect - but my more optimistic side thought he could sneak into the second round despite what the tape said about his power.  I still think he will wind up being the 2nd best center in the draft.  I'm not all that high on Martin.  So I think that you got a really good player and I was pretty happy to see that he even went about where I projected him.  I'll be following him.

Our draft, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but the abridged version is, glad to  address the OL so heavily, but I wish we could have paid a little more attention to the pass rush.  I knew we wouldn't fix everything in one year (who really does?).  But it is what it is.  We have some high ceiling/low floor players we took in the 2nd and 3rd that will probably be picks that in hindsight will have lead to Pags/Grigs being retained beyond 2 years or fired at the end of the 2 years.  I tend to be aggressive in my arm chair GM'ing, so I like that strategy.  It just puts you behind the 8-ball if you miss on more than you hit on.

OffensivelyPC; We weren't home to watch the draft on the first night and I screwed up the recording so when we got home it wasn't there (my VERY bad!!!!)  We watched it live on the internet at our daughter's house and didn't get to see the Dallas war room, DANG that would have been fun ;-)  Thanks for sharing that, it makes my day!

I like Luck a lot, so I hope that OLine will improve and he'll have a chance to become all he can be - and stay in one piece while doing it.