Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Andrew Billings

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/5/2016 at 2:36 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear about something.....    

I haven't been down on Billings because I'm so high on Parry,  and certainly NOT because Parry went to Stanford.    I just don't happen to like under-sized nose tackles,  whether it's billings or Parry.     Parry can be a back-up, I'm fine with that.

But in the middle, I prefer size.    I'd like someone who is closer to 325+.  

But if Billings can play larger than his size, then I'm a buyer....

Ok, but here's the thing...the Colts were far more a 1 gap defense last year than in years past, so that closer to 325+ lb NT you prefer wouldn't necessarily be the best fit for the colts defense unless he had Dontari Poe like athleticism.  That's why the smaller Parry worked out as did Jay Ratliff in Wade Phillips' defense.  So I don't think Billings' size would matter at all.  In fact I'd say that in that 1 gap 34 front, Billings could probably play any position on the DL.  I'm not as enamored with Billings from the limited videos I've watched but I wasn't really blown away by any of the other DL either.  I thought many of them looked good, but didn't see anyone as being consistently dominant.  Actually Nkemdiche is probably my favorite but too much off the field baggage for the Colts to likely consider drafting him.

25 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Ok, but here's the thing...the Colts were far more a 1 gap defense last year than in years past, so that closer to 325+ lb NT you prefer wouldn't necessarily be the best fit for the colts defense unless he had Dontari Poe like athleticism.  That's why the smaller Parry worked out as did Jay Ratliff in Wade Phillips' defense.  So I don't think Billings' size would matter at all.  In fact I'd say that in that 1 gap 34 front, Billings could probably play any position on the DL.  I'm not as enamored with Billings from the limited videos I've watched but I wasn't really blown away by any of the other DL either.  I thought many of them looked good, but didn't see anyone as being consistently dominant.  Actually Nkemdiche is probably my favorite but too much off the field baggage for the Colts to likely consider drafting him.

You may be right regarding the 1-gap defense....   but Parry only worked out for so long, and then the long NFL season and his small frame added up and the 2nd half of the season he was much less effective.    That's why we got gashed by a number of teams.

As for Billings,   he's 6'0" 5/8 inch....    and he's got sub-33 inch arms....    I don't see him being a fit anywhere except nose tackle.      And I hate using our 1st round pick on a small nose tackle.      I think that's a very poor use of valuable assets.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right regarding the 1-gap defense....   but Parry only worked out for so long, and then the long NFL season and his small frame added up and the 2nd half of the season he was much less effective.    That's why we got gashed by a number of teams.

As for Billings,   he's 6'0" 5/8 inch....    and he's got sub-33 inch arms....    I don't see him being a fit anywhere except nose tackle.      And I hate using our 1st round pick on a small nose tackle.      I think that's a very poor use of valuable assets.

Parry's Size had very little to do with him not being effective later. It had more to do with his ceiling, which he's probably already reached. That's why Billings would make sense. He has elite power and rare quickness. He can be Aaron Donald if he puts it all together.

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Parry's Size had very little to do with him not being effective later. It had more to do with his ceiling, which he's probably already reached. That's why Billings would make sense. He has elite power and rare quickness. He can be Aaron Donald if he puts it all together.

I would say Parry is close to his ceiling but I will not say he reached it in his Rookie year.  He will have an offseason to get a little better and stronger.  IMO Billings will be solid in the right system but I am not going as far as saying he is a future Aaron Donald.  A little high on that comparison for a 4-3 guy and Billings coming to 3-4 system if we draft him.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm sorry.....   but you know this......      how?

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Parry played in less than 60% of Stanford's defensive snaps his Sr. year, and then started 16 games as a rookie with the Colts.  I think he just plain wore down with the longer NFL season against bigger and stronger athletes.  This year should be better, but ultimately I do like him more as a rotational guy than a full-time starter.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry.....   but you know this......      how?

He wasn't overly powerful in college or showed exceptional quickness. He won with leverage and technique. We've basically seen him do that in the NFL.

There really isn't much else he can do. Maybe better conditioning but I think we've seen just about all Parry has to offer.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He wasn't overly powerful in college or showed exceptional quickness. He won with leverage and technique. We've basically seen him do that in the NFL.

There really isn't much else he can do. Maybe better conditioning but I think we've seen just about all Parry has to offer.

You are so quick to pull the trigger on almost everything....

Few here on this website jump to as many conclusions as you do based on so few data points.

And it doesn't even occur to you.

Let me ask you a question:   Does the expression,  the biggest jump a player makes is between year 1 and year 2 mean anything to you?     Have you not heard this or read this?     It's only one of the most common expressions in coaching and scouting.    It's true in the NFL,  it's true in college.   

And yet you've already decided that you know that David Parry has reached his ceiling?!?      Holy cow.....          :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Few here on this website jump to as many conclusions as you do based on so few data points.

Let me ask you a question:   Does the expression,  the biggest jump a player makes is between year 1 and year 2 mean anything to you?     Have you not heard this or read this?     It's only one of the most common expressions in coaching and scouting.    It's true in the NFL,  it's true in college.   

And yet you've already decided that you know that David Parry has reached his ceiling?!?      Holy cow.....          :facepalm:

I don't think he's alone in thinking Parry is at or close to his ceiling. Not a knock on the guy whatsoever but it is what it is. He'll be a quality rotational piece for us and probably see a good number of snaps every year. Not bad for a walk on college athlete!

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well it's not just me who feels that way. Pretty much everyone in this topic who wants Billings believes the same thing.

It doesn't matter what leap he makes. It won't make him a better projection than Billings. Billings has more tools. Tools that Parry won't ever have, even with experience.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well it's not just me who feels that way. Pretty much everyone in this topic who wants Billings believes the same thing.

It doesn't matter what leap he makes. It won't make him a better projection than Billings. Billings has more tools. Tools that Parry won't ever have, even with experience.

I'm not arguing Parry over Billings -- not in any way, shape or form.

Billings is better than Parry every day of the week...   24/7/365.

All I'm saying is don't judge Parry -- or ANY PLAYER for that matter -- after only one year.     You might be right,  Parry might not get any better.    But more times than not you're going to be wrong.    Because the vast majority of players get better in the 2nd year and even in their 3rd year.      That's the typical progression of players.

Just some food for thought.....

P.S. -- I'm sorry I got personal with you.    I shouldn't do that.     I try hard not to do that,  but sometimes I fail.   And today is one of those days.    I'm a little frustrated with things that are 2,000 miles away from you.   Again, I'm sorry........

where are you getting THAT from?  I just reread the thread just for fun...SP_21 is literally the only person that even came close to agreeing with you about Parry reaching his ceiling.  

Many have said that Parry could be upgraded, but literally no one in this thread said specifically that they agree that he's reached his ceiling.

Just to be fair and to cover all bases...DaColts85 did say Parry was probably close to his ceiling...which is close, but not quite.

where are you getting THAT from?  I just reread the thread just for fun...SP_21 is literally the only person that even came close to agreeing with you about Parry reaching his ceiling.  

Many have said that Parry could be upgraded, but literally no one in this thread said specifically that they agree that he's reached his ceiling.

Just to be fair and to cover all bases...DaColts85 did say Parry was probably close to his ceiling...which is close, but not quite.

On 3/5/2016 at 8:39 PM, danlhart87 said:

In general 

Billings will not only help open lanes for the pass rush but will help in run D too.

I doubt Floyd or Spence could do both.

Most NFL teams would disagree with your assessment about the OLB position.  OLB is considered the premier position on the defense and that will be more true for the next couple of years with the impact Miller and Ware had in the playoffs and Superbowl.

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Parry has hit his ceiling. Billings would be a great pick. 

Do you know who the biggest proponent of David Parry was?      It wasn't me, the Stanford guy.

It was you.      You had him mocked to the Colts.   Parry and/or Jarrett from Clemson.

So, deciding after one year that Parry has reached his ceiling doesn't help you -- quite the opposite.

You should probably keep those views to yourself.     Most players get better after year 1.    Except for possible injury,   there's no reason why Parry shouldn't be one of them.

And none of this has anything to do with Billings.   As I've said in a number of posts,  Billings is very good,  much, much better than Parry.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know who the biggest proponent of David Parry was?      It wasn't me, the Stanford guy.

It was you.      You had him mocked to the Colts.   Parry and/or Jarrett from Clemson.

So, deciding after one year that Parry has reached his ceiling doesn't help you -- quite the opposite.

You should probably keep those views to yourself.     Most players get better after year 1.    Except for possible injury,   there's no reason why Parry shouldn't be one of them.

And none of this has anything to do with Billings.   As I've said in a number of posts,  Billings is very good,  much, much better than Parry.

I wasn't a big proponent. I liked him but he's a rotational guy and we'll never be a high level starter. I didn't say cut him, but there's a ton of room for improvement.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

And now Dustin as well. My general point was that Parry could be upgraded, which means that people probably feel he's hit his ceiling.

That's essentially what "he could be upgraded" or "He's just a rotational guy" means. If he hadn't hit his ceiling and had a ton of potential, there wouldn't be a call to upgrade him. You don't see anyone calling for an upgrade for Anderson.

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And now Dustin as well. My general point was that Parry could be upgraded, which means that people probably feel he's hit his ceiling.

That's essentially what "he could be upgraded" or "He's just a rotational guy" means. If he hadn't hit his ceiling and had a ton of potential, there wouldn't be a call to upgrade him. You don't see anyone calling for an upgrade for Anderson.

A player can still improve on his rookie year and there can still be a better player in the draft.    It's not one or the other.      The two views are not mutually exclusive.

Parry can get better,  and Billings or another rookie DL can be a better starter for the Colts.    Win-win.

I'm fine with Parry as the back-up.     I'm sure many here would be fine with him as the back-up.     But that doesn't mean he can't get better........

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A player can still improve on his rookie year and there can still be a better player in the draft.    It's not one or the other.      The two views are not mutually exclusive.

Parry can get better,  and Billings or another rookie DL can be a better starter for the Colts.    Win-win.

I'm fine with Parry as the back-up.     I'm sure many here would be fine with him as the back-up.     But that doesn't mean he can't get better........

My argument wasn't that he couldn't get better but his "better" won't be enough for the Colts not to take Billings. Billings has a higher ceiling than Parry which means he'll be enough to start over Parry if drafted. 

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My argument wasn't that he couldn't get better but his "better" won't be enough for the Colts not to take Billings. Billings has a higher ceiling than Parry which means he'll be enough to start over Parry if drafted. 

Fair enough.

I don't dispute the Billings vs. Parry comparison at all.     My love for my Stanford guys has limits when it comes to the Colts.     I always want what is best for the Colts.     Always.   If we can get a better nose in this year's draft -- whether it's Billings or someone else, and Parry becomes the backup -- I'm completely fine with that.......

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

My argument wasn't that he couldn't get better but his "better" won't be enough for the Colts not to take Billings. Billings has a higher ceiling than Parry which means he'll be enough to start over Parry if drafted. 

No...your argument was that parry had hit his ceiling. That literally means that he won't get better. 

Now everything in your most recent post I agree with. Had you changed your story sooner, much of this debate could have been avoided. :P