Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mario Williams released by Bills after four seasons

shakedownstreet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640441/article/mario-williams-released-by-bills-after-four-seasons

Mario Williams' time in Buffalo has ended.

The linebacker was informed of his release on Tuesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source close to the player.

ESPN's Josina Anderson first reported the news.

The move was expected after a down season in which Williams repeatedly attacked coach Rex Ryan's defense, openly questioning his role.

don't say it... don't say it... :)

He seemed to play pretty good before Rex showed up registering 10.5, 13, and 14.5 sacks in the three seasons leading up to Rex Ryan's hiring. It could have just been a internal conflict between Rex and Mario. I wouldn't mind the Colts looking at him if the money was right. His age is a concern, and that may be a factor in the Colts not signing him.

29 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He apparently became really lazy and quit on the Bills last year.  "No, thanks" to signing him.

What about the productive seasons prior to Ryan being hired. As listed above he had three 10+ sack seasons leading up to last year. I wouldn't call that lazy.

Good pass rushers are at a premium in free agency, so I wouldn't mind overspending if we have to get him, especially if we can line him opposite with someone like Robert Mathis. He's gotta make sure he's comfortable with our 3-4 scheme though.

59 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

i would rather try to outbid Miami for Vernon they only transition tagged him, if any team offers 13 mil+ they likely will be forced to let him walk

If Grigson is willing to open then checkbook then yeah Vernon would be great. We are running out of options for pass rushers this year in free agency, and the draft isn't looking very good either IMO. The reason why Williams might be more of a Grigson signing is because I don't think he is going to command the money that Vernon is. If Williams wants close to the same money as Vernon then we have to go Vernon or another route.

5 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

i would rather try to outbid Miami for Vernon they only transition tagged him, if any team offers 13 mil+ they likely will be forced to let him walk

That'll be expensive... and of course there is no way we'd give up 2 first rounders to pry him away ... I'd say the cost will be too prohibitive...

I'm not that hot on getting Williams either after last season and the whining on top of the lack of production. 

6 hours ago, SDakColts said:

What about the productive seasons prior to Ryan being hired. As listed above he had three 10+ sack seasons leading up to last year. I wouldn't call that lazy.

He'll demand a lot of money.  I'd rather go after Nigel Bradham, who would be much cheaper.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

He'll demand a lot of money.  I'd rather go after Nigel Bradham, who would be much cheaper.

What do you think of Derrick Shelby? 6'2" 266 DE from Miami. He hasn't had a lot of playing time, but is a pretty good pass rusher. I think a player with possible breakout potential.

2 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

What do you think of Derrick Shelby? 6'2" 266 DE from Miami. He hasn't had a lot of playing time, but is a pretty good pass rusher. I think a player with possible breakout potential.

Not a bad player.  But I think he'd be more of a rotational/early down guy whereas Bradham has the physical tools to play all 3 downs.  From what I understand about Shelby, he's more of a run defender than an established pass rusher.

Williams like Clowney on the Texans never reached his potential or what the teams he played for believed his potential was and they both are victims of their own lack of desire. Maybe the bucket of money paid out has something to do with this, I don't know but what could have been simply never happened.

Vernon is the hot topic for over paid FA's for 2016. Miami just dumped a truckload for Suh and he turned into a nothing player. In his time in the NFL Vernon never had more than 7 1/2 sacks, and he's lined up with another great DE and DT's to take pressure off of him.

I'll take Williams with a 3 year contract at 10 million a year over Vernon's 15+ million  5 year deal..