Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Offseason 2.0

Back at it again (Not a damn Daniel reference), after doing some more research on prospects, etc.

Releases:

Andre Johnson

Trent Cole

D'Qwell Jackson 

Arthur Jones

Bjoern Werner 

Resign:

Adam Vinatieri

Coby Fleener

Jerrell Freeman

Extensions:

Andrew Luck

Team Outlook/Needs: Wanted a section where I can kind of show you my outlook at how the team is now so you can get a better feel for how I would handle FA and the draft.

Offensive Line: Argument can be made for an EDGE rusher, but I think protecting Andrew Luck is currently bigger need. If Mewhort stays at LG we need to replace everyone from the center position all the way through the right side.

LB Corp: Aside from Robert Mathis who is getting on the wrong side of 30, we don't get a lot of pressure on the QB. Definitely need a premier edge rusher and someone to groom to replace Mathis once he retires. Assuming we keep Jerrell Freeman we need another ILB as well.

Secondary: Vontae Davis is the only guy we have here that I like honestly. Mike Adams has been great, but he is getting old as well. So we have question marks at both safety positions as I'm not 100% Geathers will be a quality all around starter and we need to find quality DB's to play across from Davis and in the slot.

Running Back: Again Gore is going to be okay for a while, but we don't have a long term solution for a #1 RB or for a committee IMO.

Defensive Line: People are probably going to argue this should be higher up on the list, but I honestly don't think this is a HUGE need currently. Sure we could be better at all three positions, but we have some quality starters here. Langford isn't terrible and Henry Anderson showed a lot of promise and should serve us well if he can come back and stay healthy. David Parry showed some flashes as well, but I wouldn't be against trying to find a replacement either.

Tight End: Fleener is one of those TE's that can stretch the defense, but is a bit too inconsistent, if he can find some more consistency. Finding a replacement for Dwayne Allen wouldn't be a bad idea, but not a pressing need.

Wide Receiver: This may just be nitpicking, but I hate the fact that we don't have a true #1. Someone like a Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Odell Beckham, etc. Someone that I can throw to all over the field and they can make plays after the catch, but someone with the size and hops to get the ball in the red zone. I think TY fits more of a Emmanuel Sanders role when he first joined the Broncos a couple years ago. Moncrief shows some promise, but not quite sure hes a true #1 and Dorsett hasn't been on the field enough. I REALLY wanted the Colts to draft Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd round in 2012, but we opted for Coby Fleener instead. So in short if there is a bigger WR with some speed later in the draft I wouldn't mind picking one up.

Special Teams: A position of strength. Pat is one of the best if not the best punter in the League and AV is as good as you can get nowadays, he is getting a bit old, but until he retires I don't see us looking for a replacement.

Quarterback: Obviously set for a long time hopefully, may look into getting a cheaper option at backup, but Hassellbeck has been pretty alright.

Free Agents:

Olivier Vernon, OLB: Its still not 100% that he'll hit the market, but if he does I would dish out the money to acquire his services.

Stefan Wisniewski/Ben Jones, C: I prefer Wisniewski as I think he is better in pass protection, but only want him at the right price. Ben Jones could be a cheaper option for C.

Jeff Allen, OG: Someone that didn't really get to shine until the 2nd half of the season, but he is one of the younger better guards in the League and would come cheaper than someone like Osemele.

Morris Claibourne, CB: Okay, I know he hasn't lived up to where he was drafted and has dealt with injuries, but if we are able to sign him for 2 years at a cheap enough price he could be a quality nickel corner and could maybe revitalize his career. I think hes more of a press/man cover corner whereas the Cowboys played a lot of zone. Hes young and has a lot of potential, low risk high reward signing.

*Trumaine Johnson, CB: I put an asterisk as I know he may get transition tagged, but if hes available and we have the cap space signing him would help our secondary tons.

NFL Draft

Round 1: Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio State

Okay, just hear me out for a second. I know another offensive player what am I thinking? Well if free agency works out the way I want like above, unless Noah Spence is available, there really isn't another need here that we would absolutely need to take. Maybe Reggie Ragland here to fill our other ILB spot, but Elliot shows all the signs of a #1 back. He shows great vision and decisiveness, ran a 4.47. Hes basically built like Adrian Peterson and has similar speed while also sporting better hands and pass blocking abilities. He would balance out our offense and would make us a true dual-threat offense that would keep the defenses on their toes.

Round 2: Shilique Calhoun, 3-4 OLB, Michigan State

Calhoun has good size and length and has had a productive season at Michigan State. Hes a leader in the lockroom and can be groomed to replace Mathis after he retires to play alongside Vernon.

Round 3: Austin Johnson, NT, Penn State

Big bodied DT, but shows a lot of energy and hustle with 78 tackles and 6 sacks. Reminds me a bit of Geno Atkins in terms of size/athleticism.

Round 4: Deiondre' Hall, CB, Northern Iowa

Long and lanky corner that doesn't shy away from contact and helps in run support had 84 tackles as a corner last year.

Round 5: Willie Beavers, OT, Western Michigan

Quick, loose, and fluid athlete. I think after a year of strength and conditioning he could be our starting RT.

Round 7:James Bradberry, CB/S, Samford

I don't know if you've figured it out yet, but I love tall lengthy DB's. Hes another one that is probably better suited to play safety. Mike Adams is getting older and we can groom him. Shows great athleticism and closing speed, needs to work a bit on his coverage skills and is solid in run support.

Regarding the draft, I'd rather have NT A'Shawn Robinson in the 1st, Alex Collins in the 3rd, DE Jihad Ward in the 4th, Deiondre Hall in the 5th, then trade into the 6th to take OLB Victor Ochi.

And I'm not huge into Calhoun as a pure pass rusher. Would rather have Jaylon Smith or Sean Spence here if they fall. 

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Regarding the draft, I'd rather have NT A'Shawn Robinson in the 1st, Alex Collins in the 3rd, DE Jihad Ward in the 4th, Deiondre Hall in the 5th, then trade into the 6th to take OLB Victor Ochi.

And I'm not huge into Calhoun as a pure pass rusher. Would rather have Jaylon Smith or Sean Spence here if they fall. 

Well....     Jaylon Smith is not going to help anyone in 2016,  or maybe ever....

And the question now abut Spence, is will he be available at pick 18.....   and now you hope to get him at pick 48 in the middle of the 2nd round?        Seriously?

I agree with you on Elliot.  In fact I think he will be our pick.  I hope so.  I wouldn't  be surprised if we moved up to get him if they succeed in filling a couple of holes in FA.  He might not drop to 18.  He is that good of a prospect.  Read what Urban Meyer said about him at the combine.  A special player.  

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Picking up Jaylon Smith in the 2nd would only be good if his injury isn't that serious. Spence I highly doubt is going to drop to the 2nd round he may, but I doubt he does. 

I don't see how drafting a NT in the first round really helps us all that much. Our D-Line is probably the strongest group on our defense to be honest. Our pass rush and secondary needs a lot more help, but without the right talent at the spot I would probably take Elliot who doesn't fill an immediate need, but has a bigger impact on our team.

If I were to draft a RB not named Elliot, it would probably be Kenyan Drake from Alabama around the 3rd.

Ochi wouldn't be a bad pick, but you're willing to not draft a pass rusher until the 6th round because you don't like his pass rushing ability? Calhoun is already better equipped as a pass rusher than Ochi struggles in coverage especially being so small and doesn't have the length so I question his ability to be able to get around longer armed and quicker tackles.

With the issues we have on the OL and basically throughout our entire defense, why would we take a RB at 18? I mean man, we gotta bring in some young playmakers on defense and fix the OL. We can get a good RB in the 3rd. Howard, Perkins, Collins, Procise, Williams, Dixon, and a few more. I mean look at a guy like Leveon Bell who was I think a late 2nd rounder. Or David Johnson this year with Zona. He was a 3rd rounder. You can get an elite, feature back in the 3rd round. We'd be better off getting Spence, Floyd, or a DT at 18.

14 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I have seen Ochi as high as 3rd rounder no way do we get him in the 6th. Hall is gone before the 5th too I think.CB is deep who knows i would love him in the 5th. 

I'm not sold on Calhoun standing up either 

if Spence falls let him go there's a problem would be my take Smith the nerve damage you don't know who he is. I would not touch either of these guys in the 2nd.

Back to his mock no way are we signing all those players. Wiz Allen and Clairborne is more realistic IMO. Then grab a CB in the 2nd Let Smith Clairborne and the rookie battle it out.

I do not mind Clairborne CB. That can  be pricey position in FA. Is it possible he is any worse than what we saw on that side last year? Maybe we get lucky Chuck does some whispering. We would need to grab a CB in the draft but this class we should be leaning that way anyway..

I really liked Allen earlier in the year but as his bandwagon grows and I look more closely at his injury history I am thinking Brooks now  

A guy I have seen fall to the 5th I would jump on is Russell CB from Notre Dame.i would try him at FS. You might have something special there if not I think he is a. #2,will play on the outside. He was mocked as a 2nd before the broken leg. I'm sure his lost yesr because of academic fraud didn't help his csuse. ND was hit hard this yr

Smith has nerve damage, he's out for 2016 and may never be the same, I'd take a flyer in the 5th at best.

If we're going to take a RB I'd prefer trading down from 18 to say 25 and pick up another 3ed. With our 3ed we could get a quality back like Collins or Howard (Indiana)..

With the late 1st I'd take Ryan Kelly, C, Bama.

With the 2ed I'd take Fuller, CB, VT

With the extra 3ed rounder I'd look at Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford

So our 3 round draft would look like:

1. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

2. Fuller, CB, VT

3. Alex Collins, RB, Ark

3. Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford..

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

There seems to be many colts fans who are still living in 1987.  Freaking Elliot lol.  But hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

What? You don't think he will be the next Eric Dickerson (sarcasm) In all seriousness if we don't take a Pass Rusher or a solid O.Lineman I think 90% of Colts fans on this Site will freak out.

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

With the issues we have on the OL and basically throughout our entire defense, why would we take a RB at 18? I mean man, we gotta bring in some young playmakers on defense and fix the OL. We can get a good RB in the 3rd. Howard, Perkins, Collins, Procise, Williams, Dixon, and a few more. I mean look at a guy like Leveon Bell who was I think a late 2nd rounder. Or David Johnson this year with Zona. He was a 3rd rounder. You can get an elite, feature back in the 3rd round. We'd be better off getting Spence, Floyd, or a DT at 18.

If you read my post at all, in free agency I filled 2 of 3 needs on our O-Line and filled on EDGE rusher with Vernon. My draft was based on us getting that free agency. I previously in my other mock filled 2 of 3 needs on our o-line and then drafted Conklin in the 1st, but then that was too much on our o-line. Can't please everyone. I don't see Spence making it to us and if DT is the best spot we can fill and Elliot is still available I'd pick Elliot.

37 minutes ago, BOTT said:

There seems to be many colts fans who are still living in 1987.  Freaking Elliot lol.  But hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

I don't see the problem here? If I get the free agents we want we get to solidify our CB spot, fill 2 of 3 needs on our o-line, and get another pass rusher to play along side Robert Mathis for this next year. I expect Spence to be gone when we pick, and don't see many other options at EDGE rusher at 18 and picking up someone like Jack Conklin people didn't like us filling at 3 spots needed at o-line.

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What? You don't think he will be the next Eric Dickerson (sarcasm) In all seriousness if we don't take a Pass Rusher or a solid O.Lineman I think 90% of Colts fans on this Site will freak out.

Its like I fill our main two needs in free agency and when I don't fill those same two needs with our first round pick everyones all upset, but when I have the same expected free agency and then draft like an o-lineman people don't like that fact that we spent too much on the o-line in one off season, what?

If we fill a couple of our needs in FA I don't think the board will freak out at all.  There will always be some disagreement But the board freaking out, I doubt it.  From what I am reading there are a lot of people being okay with it or are warming up to the idea.   We probably won't have to worry.  Some other team will probably take him before us.  I just hope he doesn't go to another team in our division.  That's all we need. 

8 hours ago, Stillen said:

If you read my post at all, in free agency I filled 2 of 3 needs on our O-Line and filled on EDGE rusher with Vernon. My draft was based on us getting that free agency. I previously in my other mock filled 2 of 3 needs on our o-line and then drafted Conklin in the 1st, but then that was too much on our o-line. Can't please everyone. I don't see Spence making it to us and if DT is the best spot we can fill and Elliot is still available I'd pick Elliot.

I don't see the problem here? If I get the free agents we want we get to solidify our CB spot, fill 2 of 3 needs on our o-line, and get another pass rusher to play along side Robert Mathis for this next year. I expect Spence to be gone when we pick, and don't see many other options at EDGE rusher at 18 and picking up someone like Jack Conklin people didn't like us filling at 3 spots needed at o-line.

Its like I fill our main two needs in free agency and when I don't fill those same two needs with our first round pick everyones all upset, but when I have the same expected free agency and then draft like an o-lineman people don't like that fact that we spent too much on the o-line in one off season, what?

Because filling all those needs is a pipe dream.  The colts have been attempting to fix the Oline and pass rush for 4 yrs now.

Even if they filled all,those needs, I still wouldn't take Elliot.