Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jason spriggs IU

Who knows, I really doubt Jason Spriggs is sitting there at #18 given the combine and given so many franchises' needs for tackles. Tackles typically get overdrafted too.

But if he is there and is BPA on Grigson's board, I would have no qualms, to be honest. We can definitely bolster our RT position easily with him.

Rankings based on game tape and history so far do not have him rated that high on so many draft sites but then, I am not an NFL scout or GM :) . However, I did start this thread on him even before the NFL playoffs:

It's possible that they really love Spriggs and would take him at 18, but I wouldn't expect it. I've become more convinced after Pagano's comments that if they take a tackle they're going to want it to be a guy who has the skill set that would mean he's probably also suited to playing guard in addition. Which is why I think if we do take an O-lineman at 18, Jack Conklin is the most likely. But I could also see them waiting till the second day to add an O-lineman too, especially because we don't know what's going to happen in free agency. 

I've been reading about him for a couple weeks. At first he was a 2-3 round draft pick until the Senior Bowl. He worked out great and a ton of podcasts were talking about how well he moved and sound fundamentals. Now I see pretty much all first round rankings for him.

Anytime you can lock a tackle spot down long term on your roster you do it.  Tackle isn't a need this year but it is a long term need.  Furthermore, freeing up Reitz to be a utility guy or start elsewhere makes the line better also.  Additionally,  if the staff is high on Good at RT then there is a great chance he'd perform well at guard.  

In other words, you can draft a tackle and improve the interior of your line at the same time without adding other players.

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Who knows, I really doubt Jason Spriggs is sitting there at #18 given the combine and given so many franchises' needs for tackles. Tackles typically get overdrafted too.

But if he is there and is BPA on Grigson's board, I would have no qualms, to be honest. We can definitely bolster our RT position easily with him.

Rankings based on game tape and history so far do not have him rated that high on so many draft sites but then, I am not an NFL scout or GM :) . However, I did start this thread on him even before the NFL playoffs:

He will be there at 18 and we shouldn't take him then IMO. He had a good combine, but he has many technical flaws that, to me, will keep him out of the first. He could be an LT, but I see him as more of an RT with the potential, slight potential, to slide over to LT several years down the road.

48 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Anytime you can lock a tackle spot down long term on your roster you do it.  Tackle isn't a need this year but it is a long term need.  Furthermore, freeing up Reitz to be a utility guy or start elsewhere makes the line better also.  Additionally,  if the staff is high on Good at RT then there is a great chance he'd perform well at guard.  

In other words, you can draft a tackle and improve the interior of your line at the same time without adding other players.

Yes.  I would also add that if we keep drafting quality guys like Mewhort, Conklin (and Good) then we'll have tackles that can play guard and vice versa.  It would be a solid well rounded group.  I believe Howard Mudd believed in this principle...guys that can play multiple positions.  I'm just not sure Spence will be there at 18 and whatever pass rusher is there, I'm not sure he would be BPA over Conklin.

32 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The dude is chiseled. But only 301.
Great footwork at the combine.

If Good is working hard this off season and healthy,  i would expect Zero chance Spriggs is a Colt
 Chazz is gonna get him some D.

I really hope we shore up the o-line, injury bug is major problem almost every year. Would be nice to have some talent in the bank. Sounds like the quality of the defense is pretty high this year(draft). Can probably get some good, athletic talent in the later rounds.

18 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I really hope we shore up the o-line, injury bug is major problem almost every year. Would be nice to have some talent in the bank. Sounds like the quality of the defense is pretty high this year(draft). Can probably get some good, athletic talent in the later rounds.

But by your same point, there is a very deep class of OL, We could go OLB, ILB, DL, or DB in the first and still have plenty of rounds to pick up more than one quality OL. We could go center in the 2ND and get a G in the 3RD.