Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Conklin high on the Colts wish list

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

My thinking would be that the new OL coach would see Holmes as a good fit and give him another shot, while seeing Harrison as a more of a nose tackle than a center, and be ready to move on. That's how I see it...

Especially with the weak free agent and draft class for centers I also could see Holmes given another shot. They may switch over to a ZBS which suits Holmes better. 

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I do believe he will be our pick especially if jaylon smith is gone. we can always get carl nassib in the second and scooby wright in the third to re-vamp our LBs 

I really hope Indy doesn't settle for Carl Nassib in the 2nd. That is when Indy should take advantage of this great DL class and get someone like Vernon butler or Sheldon Rankins. This draft is a good opportunity to add great talent to the DL to create havoc for opposing offenses.

By taking a DT round 2, you're likely getting a player with a round 1 grade with how deep this class is.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope Indy doesn't settle for Carl Nassib in the 2nd. That is when Indy should take advantage of this great DL class and get someone like Vernon butler or Sheldon Rankins. This draft is a good opportunity to add great talent to the DL to create havoc for opposing offenses.

By taking a DT round 2, you're likely getting a player with a round 1 grade with how deep this class is.

we dont need d-line help though we need pass rushers

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

we dont need d-line help though we need pass rushers

I disagree with the bolded.  The D-Line was much improved, but we can be much better in that area IMO.  Getting a talented D-Lineman early could really make that group deep.  I am not saying that pass rusher isn't a need (or bigger need), it certainly is, but that doesn't mean we should pass up on a deep DL group.  Also, you can get guys who provide pass rush from the DL, and it appears that there are at least a few in this draft that should be able to do just that.

1 minute ago, Traines said:

I disagree with the bolded.  The D-Line was much improved, but we can be much better in that area IMO.  Getting a talented D-Lineman early could really make that group deep.  I am not saying that pass rusher isn't a need (or bigger need), it certainly is, but that doesn't mean we should pass up on a deep DL group.  Also, you can get guys who provide pass rush from the DL, and it appears that there are at least a few in this draft that should be able to do just that.

art jones henry anderson and kendall langford can all stop the run and get the to the QB, add in guys like parry and mcgill and its not needed. we would wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy that will never see the field. theres no one, but mathis that can provide a consistent pass rush and hes 34

Just now, CR91 said:

art jones henry anderson and kendall langford can all stop the run and get the to the QB, add in guys like parry and mcgill and its not needed. we would wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy that will never see the field. theres no one, but mathis that can provide a consistent pass rush and hes 34

Jones is coming off his second season in a row with an ankle injury, Anderson coming off an ACL, Langford was great last year IMO.  Parry and McGill had decent rookie seasons, but are mostly unproven with only so much upside. You're settling for mediocrity if you're satisfied with that.  Have you watched or studied any of the DL guys in the draft yet?  There is no reason to think that there aren't at least a few of them who if drafted by the Colts couldn't find playing time with the current talent or depth on our roster (that's before factoring in the odds that the injury bug will bite as it usually does).  Obviously we need pass rushers, but that doesn't mean we don't need in other areas...and just because you take a DL guy doesn't mean you cannot get a pass rusher as well in the draft...or 5 others if you wanted.

4 minutes ago, Traines said:

Jones is coming off his second season in a row with an ankle injury, Anderson coming off an ACL, Langford was great last year IMO.  Parry and McGill had decent rookie seasons, but are mostly unproven with only so much upside. You're settling for mediocrity if you're satisfied with that.  Have you watched or studied any of the DL guys in the draft yet?  There is no reason to think that there aren't at least a few of them who if drafted by the Colts couldn't find playing time with the current talent or depth on our roster (that's before factoring in the odds that the injury bug will bite as it usually does).  Obviously we need pass rushers, but that doesn't mean we don't need in other areas...and just because you take a DL guy doesn't mean you cannot get a pass rusher as well in the draft...or 5 others if you wanted.

imo our two biggest needs are oline and pass rush and those are the two positions we need to address early. you said yourself there is plenty of talent in the dline in this draft so why cant we wait til the 3rd or 4th round

Just now, CR91 said:

imo our two biggest needs are oline and pass rush and those are the two positions we need to address early. you said yourself there is plenty of talent in the dline in this draft so why cant we wait til the 3rd or 4th round

Those are certainly two of our needs, no doubt, but I'm not drafting an inferior player just to fill a spot.  Just because there is plenty of talent doesn't mean you can't take one early.  In my ideal world we're taking Spence at 18, but I think he'll be gone.  I'm not impressed with Floyd or Lee...Lawson/Dodd maybe...but not really at 18.  I don't mind Conklin and Decker in the first, but you'll be passing up more talented defensive players IMO...whether that be DL, CB, ILB (Smith).  I think if you want to find guys to fill specific needs do it in Free Agency so you don't have to pass up on talent in the draft.

24 minutes ago, Traines said:

Those are certainly two of our needs, no doubt, but I'm not drafting an inferior player just to fill a spot.  Just because there is plenty of talent doesn't mean you can't take one early.  In my ideal world we're taking Spence at 18, but I think he'll be gone.  I'm not impressed with Floyd or Lee...Lawson/Dodd maybe...but not really at 18.  I don't mind Conklin and Decker in the first, but you'll be passing up more talented defensive players IMO...whether that be DL, CB, ILB (Smith).  I think if you want to find guys to fill specific needs do it in Free Agency so you don't have to pass up on talent in the draft.

nassib in no way is a inferior player. look him up

4 hours ago, Superman said:

My thinking would be that the new OL coach would see Holmes as a good fit and give him another shot, while seeing Harrison as a more of a nose tackle than a center, and be ready to move on. That's how I see it...

I'm still trying to figure out who was the bufoon that decided Harrison was a better option than Holmes?  I'm still simmering over that one.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm still trying to figure out who was the bufoon that decided Harrison was a better option than Holmes?  I'm still simmering over that one.

to his credit, harrison was pretty good at run blocking. god awful at pass blocking. cant recognize a stunt to save his life

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I seem to remember a Colts.com article that asked who was the strongest guy on the team.  At least 1 person mentioned Harrison.  Just goes to show you that weightlifting strength doesn't necessarily dictate dominance on the field.  I always thought we should move him to guard if he's that strong.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The world may never know...

Well....    on some level the buffoon was.......    Khalid Holmes.      Again,  he couldn't stay healthy and when he was healthy and didn't play all that well.      So, Holmes I would think has mostly himself to blame.

That said,   there have been times over the last two years when he was healthy when he probably should've played more.        

Can we really afford to do NOTHING about the center position?     Can we afford to give him another shot in the 4th and final year of his contract?      I don't think so.     And I say that as someone who is among the biggest Holmes' fans here on this website......

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    on some level the buffoon was.......    Khalid Holmes.      Again,  he couldn't stay healthy and when he was healthy and didn't play all that well.      So, Holmes I would think has mostly himself to blame.

That said,   there have been times over the last two years when he was healthy when he probably should've played more.        

Can we really afford to do NOTHING about the center position.      Can we afford to give him another shot in the 4th and final year of his contract?      I don't think so.     And I say that as someone who is among the biggest Holmes' fans here on this website......

There's actually two lines of thinking supporting going with Holmes. Maybe three.

1) We're presumably going to a ZBS. Holmes is far better suited for a zone scheme than for the man scheme we were playing. Add to that his mental capacity -- he knows the protections better than any center we've had since Jeff Saturday -- and he technically should be a very good fit. 

2) Him being in a contract year might be favorable for the Colts. Some players hit their stride after a couple of years on the field, and some players have really good years right before free agency. Maybe it's human nature, maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't know, but if Holmes happens to have a great contract year performance, the Colts would benefit.

3) Center is the least physically demanding position on the line. It's traditionally not a position that requires big resources to fill. I'm not saying that center doesn't matter, just throw someone out there; it's obviously been our worst spot, and has probably held the offense back. But I get not treating it as a priority position.

All that said, I would really like to have the position fixed finally, one way or the other. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on Alex Mack or someone like that, but I wouldn't be upset if the team went that route. It's been a major issue since 2012. And like you said, even if Holmes plays well, he gets injured often, and the staff doesn't seem impressed with his rehab work.

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

nassib in no way is a inferior player. look him up

I know who he is, and I agree with you on that, but he wasn't a name I mentioned.

If you haven't done it yet, I would check out some of those DL prospects, I think you'll be impressed by at least a few of them.  Not saying it'll sway your opinion, but they're worth the look either way IMO.

Just now, RealityIsLuck said:

Why? This guy is so average it hurts. He's a meh pass blocker and only a decent pass protector. If your going OL early I'd rather have Dekker, much more length and potential to make him what you want.

Really? I rank Conklin as a top 10 prospect in this class.

9 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Why? This guy is so average it hurts. He's a meh pass blocker and only a decent pass protector. If your going OL early I'd rather have Dekker, much more length and potential to make him what you want.

Dekker has a high center of gravity and looks slow and clumsy. JMO
 We already have 2 of those. Yek!!

None of us know what Grigson will do that's for sure. But I am curious at to why some have a problem with taking a center in the first round. It's like it's some kind of unwritten law or something. The center touches the ball on 100% of all offensive plays. He also calls what lineup sets the offensive line makes. The larger part of the pressure put on our QBs last season was right up the middle. Games are won and lost in the trenches, always have and always will. I wouldn't have a problem at all if the Colts drafted the best possible center if he is there at #18. We have yet to replace Jeff Saturday's talent and Luck needs a center as good as Peyton had in Jeff.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

None of us know what Grigson will do that's for sure. But I am curious at to why some have a problem with taking a center in the first round. It's like it's some kind of unwritten law or something. The center touches the ball on 100% of all offensive plays. He also calls what lineup sets the offensive line makes. The larger part of the pressure put on our QBs last season was right up the middle. Games are won and lost in the trenches, always have and always will. I wouldn't have a problem at all if the Colts drafted the best possible center if he is there at #18. We have yet to replace Jeff Saturday's talent and Luck needs a center as good as Peyton had in Jeff.

I would have to agree. The constant shuffling at center has really hurt us. Holmes has been ok but can we really depend on him to start 16 games at this point? We need a solution there more than any other spot on the line.