Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy Reid is still defending his terrible clock management

Superman

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/andy-reid-clock-management-is-important-and-we-handled-it-right/

“I think clock management’s very important,” Reid said. “Every situation’s different. It’s a fluid situation on the spot and you’ve got to go off of feel. . . . This situation, I think, was handled right.”

Reid noted that the Chiefs still had all three timeouts after they scored, and he thought that if they had recovered the onside kick they would have been in good shape.

“I thought we handled it right,” Reid said. “You give us a minute on the clock and three timeouts, we feel like we can move the ball pretty good.”

Reid said that he didn’t feel the need to hurry up the play calling because he thought it was more important to call plays that would be effective than to call plays quickly.

This would be maddening to me if I were a Chiefs fan (or an Eagles fan, since they just hired Reid's former OC). It's already bad enough that you totally mismanaged the situation. You're making it worse by refusing to acknowledge your mistake.

I can live with a coach who has some learning to do. But when you don't even understand why what you did is so wrong, there's zero hope that you'll get it right next time. It's like when Caldwell called that stupid timeout against the Jets, and then both he and Polian defended it for weeks. You're going to make the same mistake again. Andy Reid has been mismanaging the clock for fifteen years, and a similar lack of urgency burned the Eagles in the SB against the Pats. He's easily one of the worst game management guys in the league.

By way of contrast, the Colts called that stupid fake against the Pats. Pagano said 'that's my fault, we'll never run that play again.' 

haha Funny you bring this up, Supes. I've mentioned my 11 year old granddaughter as an avid NFL fan here before like knowing the plays to come from Pep's offense. As to what is noted in this article & your comments, she was extremely upset at this very thing. She couldn't help but notice the Chiefs dire situation of clock management & was overly LOUD exclaiming, "What in the blazing he** are you doing, Reid? Do you understand that, GrandPaw?" I told her, "No sweetie, I don't!" 

:) 

and Pederson's explanation:

“It took us time because, No. 1, we did not want to give Tom Brady the ball back,” said Pederson, the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator for the past three seasons before being hired by the Eagles. “We knew we were going to score. We knew we had timeouts and time. We were also limited with the number of receivers. Jeremy Maclin was out of the game at the time. We were down numbers. We felt like at that point (it would have been a mistake) to give the ball back to Tom Brady.

“We still had timeouts and time even with the onside kick to put ourselves in a position to win the football game.”

Hellooooo, Doug!!!  How about the more time left on the clock the better the chances of getting the ball back if you don't recover the onside kick? Heck, you could even give up one first down and still get the ball back if you stop the Pats from getting a 2nd first down. 

Hard to believe these guys are at the top of their profession. 

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

and Pederson's explanation:

“It took us time because, No. 1, we did not want to give Tom Brady the ball back,” said Pederson, the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator for the past three seasons before being hired by the Eagles. “We knew we were going to score. We knew we had timeouts and time. We were also limited with the number of receivers. Jeremy Maclin was out of the game at the time. We were down numbers. We felt like at that point (it would have been a mistake) to give the ball back to Tom Brady.

“We still had timeouts and time even with the onside kick to put ourselves in a position to win the football game.”

Hellooooo, Doug!!!  How about the more time left on the clock the better the chances of getting the ball back if you don't recover the onside kick? Heck, you could even give up one first down and still get the ball back if you stop the Pats from getting a 2nd first down. 

Hard to believe these guys are at the top of their profession. 

Exactly, exactly, exactly! Why are they acting like scoring with 3 or 4 minutes left means that they couldn't kick it onside just like they were going to anyways? So stupid.

And like you said, if you have more time on the clock, you can actually give up a first down and still get the ball back. You would have had the two minute warning and two more minutes on the clock. Just dumb.

Teams practice two minute situations all the time. That they ended a play with 2:25 on the clock and couldn't run a play before two minute warning is an egregious offense. It's some of the worst clock management I can remember, and it's bad that they don't know that, or won't admit it. It's actually an insult to our intelligence, IMO.

He was basically saying he had no faith in his defense to hold Tom Brady, basically he was banking the entire time on recovering an onside kick, it makes sense now, but I still think it was the wrong call, but then again, I think the pats going for it on 4th and 2 on our side of the field was also dumb, and arguable the greatest coach of all  time called that play.

Agree that he had no faith in his defense, but there are two ways to get the ball back:

1. recover the onside kick (very low % when the other team knows it's coming)

2. don't recover the onside kick and force a 3 and out, or with proper clock management, give up 1 first down and then force a punt. 

The % of #2 happening is way higher than #1, but they were giving up on #2 so they could take their time down by 14 points. They even huddled up! 

How can Pederson and Reid not see this? Can you imagine what eagles fans were thinking listening to his explanation! 

21 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

He was basically saying he had no faith in his defense to hold Tom Brady, basically he was banking the entire time on recovering an onside kick, it makes sense now, but I still think it was the wrong call, but then again, I think the pats going for it on 4th and 2 on our side of the field was also dumb, and arguable the greatest coach of all  time called that play.

The Pats 4th and 2 is defensible. If you make it, the game is over.

There's no defense for the Chiefs playing so slowly. They are completely ignoring the fact that more time remaining increases their chances of getting the ball back. If you don't get the onside -- statistically speaking, you're probably NOT going to recover an obvious onside kick -- you still have time to get the ball back. The sooner you score, the more you can handle giving up a first down on defense. By milking the clock like they did, they drastically reduced their chances of getting the ball back.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Pats 4th and 2 is defensible. If you make it, the game is over.

There's no defense for the Chiefs playing so slowly. They are completely ignoring the fact that more time remaining increases their chances of getting the ball back. If you don't get the onside -- statistically speaking, you're probably NOT going to recover an obvious onside kick -- you still have time to get the ball back. The sooner you score, the more you can handle giving up a first down on defense. By milking the clock like they did, they drastically reduced their chances of getting the ball back.

Yep, I agree it was dumb, but I can see why he thought it might be a good idea, lol.

Also, I think having so little time on the clock influenced the Pats decision to throw on second down. Knowing that one big play would end the game definitely had an impact on their play calling. 

One more thing, the fact that the Chiefs almost took the ball away on defense is further evidence that Reid should have put a little more faith in them to get the ball back. They had a good stop on first down, and then tipped the ball in the air on second down. They also had forced a punt on the previous Pats possession. The idea that they had no shot to get a defensive stop is kind of dumb, especially from a coaching standpoint. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

It's like when Caldwell called that stupid timeout against the Jets, and then both he and Polian defended it for weeks.

What makes that defense even more hilarious is even Peyton Manning on the sidelines was putting his hands up in the air, like he was thinking, "What are you doing!?" I lost a lot of respect for Caldwell that day.

Andy...

ThatIsWhyYouFail-2.jpg

You pulled a Pete Caroll.

When some do not understand what you are doing it might be a clever strategy.

When 99.999999% of the world is wondering what in blazes you're doing, it means you're a damned fool, not a genius.

Refusing to acknowledge such a ludicrous error means you're doomed to future failures. Which is a shame, because that team is pretty darn good when you're not doing stupid stuff and making simple mistakes. (Like dropped INTS)

This clock management has been terrible for a long long time. And sadly McNabb got too much blame at times by Eagles fans.

But, this game vs. NE had me laughing so hard at times.

This woman could move faster then the Chiefs offense did vs. NE:

235823_952bd4bed28eb00080564278a0436561_

4 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I'm about to blow everybody's mind. Reid didn't trust Smith in the 2 minute offense. I say that's the real reason that went down and nobody's admitting it.

I thought McNabb once even said he didn't know much about the 2 minute offense. Along with not even knowing really that a game in OT could end in a tie.

I put more blame at times on Reid and it's actually amazing how many games his teams have won in general.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

I thought McNabb once even said he didn't know much about the 2 minute offense. Along with not even knowing really that a game in OT could end in a tie.

I put more blame at times on Reid and it's actually amazing how many games his teams have won in general.

Andy Reid is kind of more of an X's and O's Savant than a true football genius. He struggles with the basic stuff 99% of coaches get and understand, and often fails to communicate the basics or prepare for basic scenarios like... down by two scores with 7 minutes to go. His schemes and more advanced planning are so good though, that he can ensure his team is largely able to maximize it's talent, particularly on offense (certainly revitalized Alex Smith's career.)

Ultimately with Andy Reid, you take the good with the bad. You'll never worry about scheme or play design, but any time of management situation is just going to fly over his head. I honestly believe he's best served as just a pure offensive coordinator, but with the clout he's garnered as a head coach, there's no reason he would ever go back to that lesser position.

for anyone who knows Dragon Age, Andy Reid pictured here: 1245377-270px_npc_sandal.jpg

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I'm about to blow everybody's mind. Reid didn't trust Smith in the 2 minute offense. I say that's the real reason that went down and nobody's admitting it.

I think you're right. Hence why he said he wanted to run more "effective" plays; Alex Smith isn't effective in the hurry up offense. Why run the hurry up offense if you can't score when you need to? Might as well bank on that onside kick because that's your only hope.

I'm sure Andy Reid, a professional football coach, understands time management concepts...

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Alex Smith is conservative to a fault. Earlier this season, they were at 62 consecutive games without a two minute drill TD. He throws short of the first down more often than anyone else. If anything, Reid should be pushing Smith out of the nest, not handcuffing him. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000541913/article/what-we-learned-rodgers-continues-to-raise-his-game

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Alex Smith is conservative to a fault. Earlier this season, they were at 62 consecutive games without a two minute drill TD. He throws short of the first down more often than anyone else. If anything, Reid should be pushing Smith out of the nest, not handcuffing him. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000541913/article/what-we-learned-rodgers-continues-to-raise-his-game

Lol maybe he just sucks and isn't a very capable QB?

39 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I think you're right. Hence why he said he wanted to run more "effective" plays; Alex Smith isn't effective in the hurry up offense. Why run the hurry up offense if you can't score when you need to? Might as well bank on that onside kick because that's your only hope.

I'm sure Andy Reid, a professional football coach, understands time management concepts...

To the bolded, all evidence points to the contrary.

And to your premise, how does that make sense? You have 6+ minutes to score twice, period. If you take five minutes to score, now you're asking your QB that you don't trust in the hurry up to score again in one minute. You squandered time on the positive side of the two minute warning, putting your QB even more under the gun in the event that you do get the ball back.

"I don't trust my QB in the hurry up, so I'm going to ensure that if he does get the ball back again, he has as little time left as possible." Nah, I'm not buying that.

Not to mention the already stated fundamentals about leaving as much time on the clock as you can to increase your likelihood of getting the ball back in the first place. 

Either Andy Reid (and/or Alex Smith) was totally shell shocked and unprepared for the situation, which is inexcusable for a 17 year head coach and 11 year QB, or he simply tried to outthink the room, and in doing so, failed to maximize his chances. It's not that hard to understand that you ought to be able to run more than two plays a minute when you're down by two scores late in the fourth quarter. It's awful time management, any way you look at it.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Splat...would be the result imo

This has been Andy Reid's kyptonite his entire career. 

We will never forget that SB where they let that clock run when they needed to get it together and start moving, down by 10 points. I have felt bad for McNabb all these years, cause he got so much flack, and was always the fall guy for those close playoff losses. 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

I feel bad for McNabb, and have for years. He got laughed at all those years for not knowing the 2 minute offense or the OT tie stuff, but it's starting to appear like that was more on Reid than it was on McNabb.

I'll never forget that SB, where everyone jumped on McNabb for the blame, but Reid coached a poor game, and Philly's offense was dead, not hurrying up to do anything once NE got up to a 10 point lead. It was amazing how well they played that game no one really gave them a chance in that SB. I thought they'd get blown out, and was surprised how well they hung in the game. 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

This clock management has been terrible for a long long time. And sadly McNabb got too much blame at times by Eagles fans.

That SB goes on McNabb because he couldn't keep up the pace. He was dying out there, couldn't catch his breath, etc. At least, that's what TO said.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's the result either way, in this case. Except this way, the coaching restricted the players' chances of getting back in the game. 

O I agree...just saying there was a method to the madness this time unlike when the Packers seemingly try to blow it conservatively. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That SB goes on McNabb because he couldn't keep up the pace. He was dying out there, couldn't catch his breath, etc. At least, that's what TO said.

Yep and nobody ever tells the truth like TO did. 

wl3smgp.gif?w=614

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, all evidence points to the contrary.

And to your premise, how does that make sense? You have 6+ minutes to score twice, period. If you take five minutes to score, now you're asking your QB that you don't trust in the hurry up to score again in one minute. You squandered time on the positive side of the two minute warning, putting your QB even more under the gun in the event that you do get the ball back.

"I don't trust my QB in the hurry up, so I'm going to ensure that if he does get the ball back again, he has as little time left as possible." Nah, I'm not buying that.

Not to mention the already stated fundamentals about leaving as much time on the clock as you can to increase your likelihood of getting the ball back in the first place. 

Either Andy Reid (and/or Alex Smith) was totally shell shocked and unprepared for the situation, which is inexcusable for a 17 year head coach and 11 year QB, or he simply tried to outthink the room, and in doing so, failed to maximize his chances. It's not that hard to understand that you ought to be able to run more than two plays a minute when you're down by two scores late in the fourth quarter. It's awful time management, any way you look at it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right; it isn't hard to understand that you should be able to run more than two plays a minute. And of course, the slower you score the chances of you winning becomes slimmer; I'm sure Reid knows that. 

When I saw how slow they were running that offense I knew that they were going to lose. But the bottom line is that you have to score. And that in and of itself increases your chances of winning. IF going slower is the ONLY way they can score, then you might as well do that and pray for some lucky play to occur; because once you score maybe Tom Brady might throw a pick, like he almost did, and then the game might have had a different outcome.

Of course a slow offense isn't ideal, but so is enploying Alex Smith as your starting QB. I 'm not saying I would choose to employ a slow offense, but, assuming that Alex Smith is incapable of running a hurry up offense, I can understand the tactic. Alex Smith just isn't a very good QB, so you can't expect him to score twice in such a short period.... They were pretty much screwed... 

I don't think anyone climbs the ranks of coaching without understanding rudimentary concepts of time management... And there must be something that made him take that route;  like, for instance, the belief that his QB sucks. Of course he can't just say that. Lol That's really my point. 

But maybe Alex Smith is capable and Reid just doesn't understand the importance of a hurry up offense and/or when to use it? 

I don't know...

But I'm betting on the former.

4 minutes ago, Bogie said:

THIS is why I am thankful we have Cam Newton today to dance around and give us awesome pictures! T.O. was a lot of fun in times. 

I know as a Saints fan you have a built in dislike of Cam Newton, but he's nowhere near as bad as TO was.

22 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, you're absolutely right; it isn't hard to understand that you should be able to run more than two plays a minute. And of course, the slower you score the chances of you winning becomes slimmer; I'm sure Reid knows that. 

When I saw how slow they were running that offense I knew that they were going to lose. But the bottom line is that you have to score. And that in and of itself increases your chances of winning. IF going slower is the ONLY way they can score, then you might as well do that and pray for some lucky play to occur; because once you score maybe Tom Brady might throw a pick, like he almost did, and then the game might have had a different outcome.

Of course a slow offense isn't ideal, but so is enploying Alex Smith as your starting QB. I 'm not saying I would choose to employ a slow offense, but, assuming that Alex Smith is incapable of running a hurry up offense, I can understand the tactic. Alex Smith just isn't a very good QB, so you can't expect him to score twice in such a short period.... They were pretty much screwed... 

I don't think anyone climbs the ranks of coaching without understanding rudimentary concepts of time management... And there must be something that made him take that route;  like, for instance, the belief that his QB sucks. Of course he can't just say that. Lol That's really my point. 

But maybe Alex Smith is capable and Reid just doesn't understand the importance of a hurry up offense and/or when to use it? 

I don't know...

But I'm betting on the former.

If that's the best your staff can come up with, you might as well just kneel it out and go home. They ran that situation about as poorly as they could have.

As bad as Cam seems, lets take this opportunity to remind ourselves of the true diva crybabies. T.O, Keyshawn Johnson, Ricky Watters, etc. Atleast Cam doesn't turn into a girl every time the game gets a little rough. I do believe he'll have the same reaction when somebody puts him in his place though.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know as a Saints fan you have a built in dislike of Cam Newton, but he's nowhere near as bad as TO was.

You're totally right. I dislike Cam cause I'm a Saints fan and hate the Panthers in general, but I do have a respect for him as a player, and as a person. You're totally correct that he's nowhere near as bad as TO. I think Cam gets a bad rap most the time. He seems like a nice guy off the field, when the game is over. 

If he played for another team that was outside the NFC South, he'd instantly be in my favorites, since he is fun to watch. 

8 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

As bad as Cam seems, lets take this opportunity to remind ourselves of the true diva crybabies. T.O, Keyshawn Johnson, Ricky Watters, etc. Atleast Cam doesn't turn into a girl every time the game gets a little rough. I do believe he'll have the same reaction when somebody puts him in his place though.

He's basically like the diva receiver version of a QB. Compared to other QBs, he's kind of flamboyant, but compared to actual diva receivers, it's nothing. 

8 hours ago, ColtRider said:

haha Funny you bring this up, Supes. I've mentioned my 11 year old granddaughter as an avid NFL fan here before like knowing the plays to come from Pep's offense. As to what is noted in this article & your comments, she was extremely upset at this very thing. She couldn't help but notice the Chiefs dire situation of clock management & was overly LOUD exclaiming, "What in the blazing he** are you doing, Reid? Do you understand that, GrandPaw?" I told her, "No sweetie, I don't!" 

:) 

I think Chiefs Nation would welcome your 11 yr old granddaughter as their new play calling OC CR. She'd probably improve their chances of winning in crunch time next year. At least, she'd know when to light a fire under Alex Smith's backside & force him into a high tempo mode vs a huddle.

I couldn't believe how much time Smith & co. let roll off the clock. Are you kidding me man? Move it & get the lead out! Now not next week.