Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Irvin unlikely to leave Seattle

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14597808/bruce-irvin-says-take-less-stay-seattle-seahawks

"I was asked that," said Irvin, a pending unrestricted free agent. "Pete [Carroll] and John [Schneider] asked me that when I met with them today. If it came to that, I would definitely come back. $3, $4 million? $3, $4, $5 million? I would definitely come back because I'm established here.

"These are my brothers. I honestly can't even imagine myself playing with anybody else, being in a different meeting room, listening to different pregame speeches. It's just crazy to me. I would definitely come back if they matched or if it was a little less. I would definitely come back to Seattle."

You can take him off your free agent wish list.

I doubt he truly means that. He isn't playing to his strength in Seattle. With us he'd be rushing the QB 90% of the time and probably put up 10-12 sacks every year. He may return to Seattle but I'm not gonna say this definitely means he wont be playing elsewhere.

If he's willing to stay in Seattle for less than $5m/year, then he won't hit free agency. They'll make that offer sometime before free agency starts, and that will be that.

So unless he's just blowing smoke, he's not going anywhere. And there's zero reason for him to say this, especially putting numbers to it. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Would it make a difference if Seattle is having a cap problem? I am not too sure off the top of my head where Seattle is with that.

They'll be tight on the cap, but for less than $5m/year, they won't have a problem fitting him in. 

Seahawks have $124m committed in 2016. The cap is expected to be above $150m. Noteworthy free agents are Irvin, Okung, Mebane, Rubin, Kearse, Ryan, Lane, Lockette, Bailey, etc. There's speculation that they'll release Lynch, which frees up $9m in cap space. Michael Bennett wants a new contract, as does Kam Chancellor. Doug Baldwin has one year remaining, and has earned an extension.

They're in great shape, capwise. I thought they were tighter than they are. Keeping their most important free agents shouldn't be a problem, especially if Irvin is going to take less money to stay in Seattle.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I wasn't that high on him anyway; I have opened up to him a little more at least until this article hit.  Good player who's shown improvement.  But his ups and downs always made me hesitant to pay him the $8-$12 mill a year he probably would have gotten on the FA market. 

I'm hoping that the Dolphins let Dion Jordan go because I'd really like the Colts to take a look at him.  I know the history and all that - Vontae Davis had a similar history.  Sometimes its just getting in teh right place and I think Davis could really be a mentor for that guy (even though I they never set foot on the same field together).  Not to mention Jordan has a tie to Joe Philbin; whether that is good or bad I make no representation.  But Jordan fits the 3-4 mold OLB and if it all works out right, he could be a bargain.  

Whether the Dolphins cut him really depends on his contract tolling due to the suspensions.  Reading about it made my head spin, but I think the bottom line is, if they cut him they will save $4million-$7million depending on whether they recover the 2015 signing bonus (they could also trade him, in which case it gets even more convoluted, but I doubt the Colts would do that anyway).  Obviously not a guy that we'd want to get in the offseason and look at the OLB position as locked down, but with his talent, he could be an asset if he gets his head on right.  And we've always been a locker room that guys have talked highly of.  Despite 2015, I think what how Irsay backed Pagano will be something that works toward keeping it a strong locker room (if not making it more attractive, but that's just me).  The Dolphins culture during the 2013 or 2014 seasons - referencing the whole Incognito saga - were not something to write home about. 

I've had him as the only FA possibility to improve our Rush OLB position, but I've flip-flopped on whether I'd want him.  He's a big loudmouth who likes Pete Carrol's leadership style and the Seahawks' lockeroom dynamic/in-your-face attitude.  I don't think he'd fit in well with us, but he'd definitely be a double digit sack guy in our system.  I suspect his current statements are an emotional reaction, and he'll take the best money he can get (which shouldn't be in Seattle).  But we'll have to get Mathis' eventual successor in this year's draft (hopefully Spence).

49 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I wasn't that high on him anyway; I have opened up to him a little more at least until this article hit.  Good player who's shown improvement.  But his ups and downs always made me hesitant to pay him the $8-$12 mill a year he probably would have gotten on the FA market. 

I'm hoping that the Dolphins let Dion Jordan go because I'd really like the Colts to take a look at him.  I know the history and all that - Vontae Davis had a similar history.  Sometimes its just getting in teh right place and I think Davis could really be a mentor for that guy (even though I they never set foot on the same field together).  Not to mention Jordan has a tie to Joe Philbin; whether that is good or bad I make no representation.  But Jordan fits the 3-4 mold OLB and if it all works out right, he could be a bargain.  

Whether the Dolphins cut him really depends on his contract tolling due to the suspensions.  Reading about it made my head spin, but I think the bottom line is, if they cut him they will save $4million-$7million depending on whether they recover the 2015 signing bonus (they could also trade him, in which case it gets even more convoluted, but I doubt the Colts would do that anyway).  Obviously not a guy that we'd want to get in the offseason and look at the OLB position as locked down, but with his talent, he could be an asset if he gets his head on right.  And we've always been a locker room that guys have talked highly of.  Despite 2015, I think what how Irsay backed Pagano will be something that works toward keeping it a strong locker room (if not making it more attractive, but that's just me).  The Dolphins culture during the 2013 or 2014 seasons - referencing the whole Incognito saga - were not something to write home about. 

I think he'd be on the lower end of that $8-12m range, for sure. He doesn't have a ton of production, which is what concerns me.

Dion Jordan's guarantees are voided due to his suspensions. And that's the only reason I have a problem with him. It's not like he's just a malcontent; if he fails another drug test, he's suspended indefinitely, and whatever you've invested in him -- money, roster spot, coaching, whatever -- is basically wasted. He's also shown basically nothing on the field since he's been in the league. I have no problem with taking a flyer on him, I just wouldn't count on him. We need a pass rusher, and even if we added Jordan, we'd still need a pass rusher.

Just now, Superman said:

I think he'd be on the lower end of that $8-12m range, for sure. He doesn't have a ton of production, which is what concerns me.

Dion Jordan's guarantees are voided due to his suspensions. And that's the only reason I have a problem with him. It's not like he's just a malcontent; if he fails another drug test, he's suspended indefinitely, and whatever you've invested in him -- money, roster spot, coaching, whatever -- is basically wasted. He's also shown basically nothing on the field since he's been in the league. I have no problem with taking a flyer on him, I just wouldn't count on him. We need a pass rusher, and even if we added Jordan, we'd still need a pass rusher.

To the bolded, I couldn't agree more.  

I think Seattle has more important issue to address than Irvin. They are going to have to address the interior of their DL as both Mebane and Rubin are FA's. They'll at least re-sign 1 or sign somebody else. Then maybe draft a DT in the 1st. Then they need to bring Kearse back. But a huge issue is their OL. The almost have to bring back Okung or sign another good LT because they aren't going to find the answer at the end of the 1st round. And then they need to bring in at least one good guard. They'll probably draft a Guard early too because their line was pretty bad. But releasing Lynch would help. Rawls is good enough to be their guy and they can draft a back in the 3rd or 4th to pair with him. They'll probably bring in a corner too. But I just think the other issues they have will come before re-signing Irvin. So it think he'll probably be available.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd love to bring in Dion Jordon. Kid's got tons of potential. Like Demarcus Ware type potential. He's just had issues and like you said he didn't fit their scheme. He's a natural 3-4 rush LB. We could probably trade Werner for him straight up. Werner is best suited to play DE in a 4-3 so it could possibly work out well for both teams. Getting Jordon and drafting a pass rusher in the 1st would be fine with me.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, Archer said:

I've had him as the only FA possibility to improve our Rush OLB position, but I've flip-flopped on whether I'd want him.  He's a big loudmouth who likes Pete Carrol's leadership style and the Seahawks' lockeroom dynamic/in-your-face attitude.  I don't think he'd fit in well with us, but he'd definitely be a double digit sack guy in our system.  I suspect his current statements are an emotional reaction, and he'll take the best money he can get (which shouldn't be in Seattle).  But we'll have to get Mathis' eventual successor in this year's draft (hopefully Spence).

IMO that's the exact type of players we need. We some nastiness on defense. IMO We desperately need some overly aggressive, hard hitting, in your face type players. Guys like Irvin, Janorris Jenkins, etc. JMO.

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd love to bring in Dion Jordon. Kid's got tons of potential. Like Demarcus Ware type potential. He's just had issues and like you said he didn't fit their scheme. He's a natural 3-4 rush LB. We could probably trade Werner for him straight up. Werner is best suited to play DE in a 4-3 so it could possibly work out well for both teams. Getting Jordon and drafting a pass rusher in the 1st would be fine with me.

Good god, people really need to let this go.