Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Payton stays with Saints

bababooey

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

Were you happy that the Colts retained Chuck and Grigson?

I am okay with Pagano getting another shot. I am not as happy with Grigson. But, I can deal with it and stuff. It's better then dealing with the rumors and I always said it can get worse then what we currently have. 

I also thought if you kept one you might keep both. If you let one go you let them both go.

I am okay with it though. We are getting a new defensive coordinator so thats good news.

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Makes sense. Few years left, still has Brees, makes a ton of money, gets along with Loomis for the most part, and no one wanted to pay a draft pick for him.

Per Rapaport, press conference at 3 pm EST.

Brees said SP was staying 2 weeks ago and nobody listened to him

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

You think so? Brees strikes me as a guy that wants every cent. I can see him still wanting $20 mil + per season. What do you think happens? Do the Saints give him that or does he take less?

That's an assumption. But it doesn't matter. The contract is backloaded and can easily be stretched out, creating cap space and flexibility for the team, and giving Brees guaranteed money. It's standard fare.

12522991_980615601986005_870576177173656

Dream on, I said it all along that he wasn't leaving and only Jules believed me. 

The Saints offense was getting hot in the last few games of the season. Brees did not throw another interception for the rest of the season after the Carolina game, and they were averaging much more points than they scored last year.

Our offense has a few future play makers like Watson and Coleman, and I know Saints fans will give me hell for saying this, but Hightower has out played Ingram so far. I hope we stick with him, and not Ingram so much next season. 

If we can get a new offensive line, this team could be dangerous again. I'm looking forward to the future. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That's an assumption. But it doesn't matter. The contract is backloaded and can easily be stretched out, creating cap space and flexibility for the team, and giving Brees guaranteed money. It's standard fare.

Brees' contract really is not the problem. The Saints have a lot of dead money in the cap with Junior Gallette who is not on the team anymore, and they also overspent on Jarius Byrd and Brandon Browner who have been major disappointments. If it weren't for that, they really wouldn't have issues at all. 

17 minutes ago, Bogie said:

12522991_980615601986005_870576177173656

Dream on, I said it all along that he wasn't leaving and only Jules believed me. 

The Saints offense was getting hot in the last few games of the season. Brees did not throw another interception for the rest of the season after the Carolina game, and they were averaging much more points than they scored last year.

Our offense has a few future play makers like Watson and Coleman, and I know Saints fans will give me hell for saying this, but Hightower has out played Ingram so far. I hope we stick with him, and not Ingram so much next season. 

If we can get a new offensive line, this team could be dangerous again. I'm looking forward to the future. 

Believe it or not I believed you too. I didn't think he was either. Once you said he wasn't leaving and from other stuff I was hearing I had a feeling he was staying.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Believe it or not I believed you too. I didn't think he was either. Once you said he wasn't leaving and from other stuff I was hearing I had a feeling he was staying.

I didn't buy it at all that he was going to leave. I think these rumors sprouted up since this was a rough year with a losing season. If they were winning, I doubt any of these rumors would have surfaced to begin with. 

This team really was coming together towards the end of the season. Those last 5 games, the offense was peaking and they had a groove going. 

The Saints started over 40 rookies this year. They have a new young team, and I didn't think at all he was going to just leave after all this work had been done molding out rookies. There's still a lot of work to be done, but the future is looking bright for a new young team. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Maybe I am missing something here but Brees is in his final year of his contract which will pay him $19.7 mil in 2016 with a cap hit of $30 mil. In 2017 he is UFA. So what exactly is being stretched out? Do you foresee him doing a Brady-like extension?

Just now, amfootball said:

Maybe I am missing something here but Brees is in his final year of his contract which will pay him $19.7 mil in 2016 with a cap hit of $30 mil. In 2017 he is UFA. So what exactly is being stretched out? Do you foresee him doing a Brady-like extension?

They can add years to the contract. A simple extension, convert salary to bonus, and reduce the cap hit. How many years and for how much money is a point of negotiation, but I'm sure Brees would welcome an extension. I doubt the Brady deal will be a consideration.

Just now, Superman said:

They can add years to the contract. A simple extension, convert salary to bonus, and reduce the cap hit. How many years and for how much money is a point of negotiation, but I'm sure Brees would welcome an extension. I doubt the Brady deal will be a consideration.

Yes, they can add years which is my point. For how much? He is 37 and injuries started to pop up this year. Do you continue to pay him $20 mil a year for the next 3-4 years? I can't imagine him taking less given there are other desperate teams that would easily pay him that.

3 hours ago, Bogie said:

I didn't buy it at all that he was going to leave. I think these rumors sprouted up since this was a rough year with a losing season. If they were winning, I doubt any of these rumors would have surfaced to begin with. 

This team really was coming together towards the end of the season. Those last 5 games, the offense was peaking and they had a groove going. 

The Saints started over 40 rookies this year. They have a new young team, and I didn't think at all he was going to just leave after all this work had been done molding out rookies. There's still a lot of work to be done, but the future is looking bright for a new young team. 

I am glad he and Payton will be together. He is only about 10,000 yards and just over 100 TDs behind Manning for the all time marks. He can look at breaking those over the next 3 years.

In my opinion this makes sense to both Sean Payton and Drew Brees as they have enough about them in terms of knowledge, ability and experience to make that organisation great again.  The must have been involved in getting rid of Jimmy Graham, so they do know something.  He ain't the next Gronkowski!