Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 50 Free Agents...to Bring To The Colts

bap1331

In fact Andrew Brandt who works for ESPN and is a former Packers front office guy said that he is a build threw the draft kind of guy. So personally I am not expecting a big change on how we do free agents. Also the fact we don't have money doesn't help either.

Good to hear. Well not the "no money" part, but I obviously knew that already.

Wayne's age isn't an issue in my opinion. His route running and hands and durability makes him one of the best in the league. He's at a position that is one of the hardest to fill. We still need a speedster deep threat on the opposite side if Garcon isn't going to be the answer. It seems that D. Jackson & P, Hillis "locker room" problems stemmed around not having contract extensions. New contract on a new team probably takes away the "problem". I don't think any team is strictly a "draft" or "FA" style. They fill needs from the best place possible. The task is to win NOW. Because of the CBA, players and caps are changing every year making it darn near impossible to "build" a team over a 3 to 5 year period. You start with the most important elements and fill in from there. QB is the MOST important. A healthy Manning with an adequate defense and running game is a threat to win a Super Bowl any "consensus" not withstanding. An unhealthy Manning means sacrifice whatever necessary to get a super bowl quality QB and start filling other positions from there. It's a puzzle that has to fit pieces together under the restriction of the salary cap. Without knowing all the contracts and cap numbers all we can do is wish and suggest who would be a good fit. Landry would fill the need of the veteran in the secondary. Wonder how bad the knee injury is to the Bear's Forte. He was playing without a contract. He might be had for a steal assuming he can be re-habbed.

The way that reads is that we are going to let Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzo all walk? Or did you mean out of the three Gonzo is gone? No way we lose all three. Austin Collie would become our premier receiver?

Well wayne is almost a no brianer and you can put Gonzo on that list... Garcon i believe will be retained just because he was the most to produce with not much of a QB.

Wayne's age isn't an issue in my opinion. His route running and hands and durability makes him one of the best in the league. He's at a position that is one of the hardest to fill. We still need a speedster deep threat on the opposite side if Garcon isn't going to be the answer. It seems that D. Jackson & P, Hillis "locker room" problems stemmed around not having contract extensions. New contract on a new team probably takes away the "problem". I don't think any team is strictly a "draft" or "FA" style. They fill needs from the best place possible. The task is to win NOW. Because of the CBA, players and caps are changing every year making it darn near impossible to "build" a team over a 3 to 5 year period. You start with the most important elements and fill in from there. QB is the MOST important. A healthy Manning with an adequate defense and running game is a threat to win a Super Bowl any "consensus" not withstanding. An unhealthy Manning means sacrifice whatever necessary to get a super bowl quality QB and start filling other positions from there. It's a puzzle that has to fit pieces together under the restriction of the salary cap. Without knowing all the contracts and cap numbers all we can do is wish and suggest who would be a good fit. Landry would fill the need of the veteran in the secondary. Wonder how bad the knee injury is to the Bear's Forte. He was playing without a contract. He might be had for a steal assuming he can be re-habbed.

One would assume a GM's style comes partly from his team owner. Irsay had no problem with Polian doing it through the draft. Who knows? Maybe Jeffrey Lurie was wanting to win now, and has his personnel reaching on FA's.

Well wayne is almost a no brianer and you can put Gonzo on that list... Garcon i believe will be retained just because he was the most to produce with not much of a QB.

Gonzo is for sure gone. Down the stretch a couple of games he was a healthy scratch. And he's obviously either a wimp or injury prone. We might get Wayne to stay, and even on a home cooking discount. I get the vibe that he doesn't want to play for another team, and especially not for a qb other than Manning. The problem I see is a Garcon with no Wayne. Wayne typically drew the best defender, and even then as much as a burner Garcon is, wasn't exactly lighting cb's up. If he drew prime coverage? Will probably never hear his name.

It seems that D. Jackson "locker room" problems stemmed around not having contract extensions. New contract on a new team probably takes away the "problem".

I disagree. The man is simply a self-absorbed nincompoop. There have been numerous incidents of him getting into trouble either with his mouth or his actions on the field because he is only concerned with himself - not what's good for his team. The holding out was just the most recent example (he also missed a voluntary camp last year. Show me one Colts receiver who has ever passed up an opportunity to sharpen their timing with Peyton.) Compare and contrast with how Reggie acted when he wanted to renegotiate. He is also quite small and has had multiple concussions - and with his contract situation he is becoming known for being useless over the middle because he's afraid of getting hurt. It's hard to find a writer or sportscaster in Philly who is standing up for him. They're talking about what possible replacements are available. In short, the man is as damaging to a team as Terrel Owens, but he isn't half the player Owens was.

I disagree. The man is simply a self-absorbed nincompoop. There have been numerous incidents of him getting into trouble either with his mouth or his actions on the field because he is only concerned with himself - not what's good for his team. The holding out was just the most recent example (he also missed a voluntary camp last year. Show me one Colts receiver who has ever passed up an opportunity to sharpen their timing with Peyton.) Compare and contrast with how Reggie acted when he wanted to renegotiate. He is also quite small and has had multiple concussions - and with his contract situation he is becoming known for being useless over the middle because he's afraid of getting hurt. It's hard to find a writer or sportscaster in Philly who is standing up for him. They're talking about what possible replacements are available. In short, the man is as damaging to a team as Terrel Owens, but he isn't half the player Owens was.

Just to add to this he loves to show boat. I know of at least twice he's scored a "touchdown" and dropped the ball before he crossed the goalline and the refs just didn't catch it because he was trying to show off. I've looked at Jackson for a while and thought he's not the kind of person I want in my lockerroom.

Just to add to this he loves to show boat. I know of at least twice he's scored a "touchdown" and dropped the ball before he crossed the goalline and the refs just didn't catch it because he was trying to show off. I've looked at Jackson for a while and thought he's not the kind of person I want in my lockerroom.

I would like to add something that may have gone unnoticed by many. With the extraordinary duress placed on our team this year, our locker room held together fantastically. A lesser organization would've unraveled with great speed under such circumstances.

Gonzo is for sure gone. Down the stretch a couple of games he was a healthy scratch. And he's obviously either a wimp or injury prone. We might get Wayne to stay, and even on a home cooking discount. I get the vibe that he doesn't want to play for another team, and especially not for a qb other than Manning. The problem I see is a Garcon with no Wayne. Wayne typically drew the best defender, and even then as much as a burner Garcon is, wasn't exactly lighting cb's up. If he drew prime coverage? Will probably never hear his name.

I wouldnt say Gonzo is a wimp at all, Moala didnt see playing time until his second year... i have no idea why the colts do that... Wayne looks like he wants to leave.. after the last game it was reported that he cleared his locker (not sure if all the players do that or not).

As for garcon the guy has faced plenty of good corners and he has burned them, that includes Talib, cromartie and others.. he's becoming more consistent when it comes to catching the ball.

if they even make a splash i doubt there going to get landry...we have bullit who i believe got a contract last year there not going to invest money where there already is money invested..i can see them investing some money on the o line being that u have a 28 million dollar qb there..also on wide outs, i think the colts will have a new wr core next year...could u imagin gettin carl nicks ,hillis and djax also drafting defensivly in the draft Wow! guess what where back..with a manning paycut and clearing up some guys for cap space its possible is it..?

So we aren't expecting any 'real' FA, and only expecting to land a few of ours back? Lets assume Mathis/Garcon. That leads our roster to look like.

Manning/?

AC/?/?/Diem/Illijana

Garcon/Collie/White?

Clark/Tamme

Brown/Addai

Freeney/?/Nevis/Mathis

Sims/Angerer/Wheeler

Powers/?/?/Bethea

So we are easily looking for QB/OL/DL/DB/SS....and possibly WR, TE?

I would like to add something that may have gone unnoticed by many. With the extraordinary duress placed on our team this year, our locker room held together fantastically. A lesser organization would've unraveled with great speed under such circumstances.

Largely because we've kept trouble makers out of it. Remember we cut Tommie Harris because the Colts didn't like his attitude. It's been the fact that the Colts care as much about things like that as they do your talent level that has helped keep the lockerroom together.

If the Eagles proved anything, it's that filling a locker room with free agents isn't a good idea and it's not a good way to build a team. I think the Colts just need to do a better job of drafting. Although now maybe we will see this team actually use free agency to add necessary pieces and spend the money to get the best players. I really hope the free agency free for all isn't the direction this team is going, it doesn't work in the NFL of these days and it can cripple a team for a years.

another good thing about grigson is that he use to play offensive line. Hopefully he puts a long thought into getting a solid guard in free agency or the draft. interior offensive line is still an issue. as much as i dont want to see them go, i think its about that time ryan diem and jeff saturday parted ways. i expect castonzo and ijalana to improve at the tackle positions next season