Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

C449's Ideal offseason. FA, Draft, & etc

Ok so we all pretty much agree we have to get a new GM and coaching staff. There's no way I can predict who that'll be so I'll just assume its a major upgrade.

Cut

Arthur Jones

Trent Cole

Andre Johnson

Bjorne Werner

Jonathan Newsome

Re-Sign

Andrew Luck

Coby Fleener

Dwayne Allen (1year deal)

Billy Winn

Sign in Free agency

Von Miller (I think he'll want to reach the open market for numerous reasons. 1) He's the only game changing OLB in this class and he knows he'll get paid. I think we have to go all in and make him a Colt. He's one of those guys who will be worth every penny. He's one of the best Edge Rushers in the NFL and he completely changes our Defense.

Sean Smith (Putting a big physical corner like Smith next to Davis would give us one of the best CB duos in the league. And Smith is a borderline elite corner IMO.

Kelechi Osemele (We have to FIX the offensive line finally. Osemele will be available and is one of the best RGs in the league)

Matt Schaub (gotta have a backup QB and I don't see any way Hasselbeck comes back after the beating he's taken this year.

Draft

1) Myles Jack ILB (We'd have to trade up for Smith, but Jack should fall to 12-15) Maybe we'd have to trade up a spot or 2 but he's worth giving up a 3rd next year IMO)

2) Nick Martin Center

3) Paul Perkins RB

4) Devontae Fields EDGE

5) Yannick Ngakoue EDGE 

7) Devon Johnson RB

And this year if a 1st round talent falls out of the draft we need to go after him as an UDFA. Or just draft him in the 7th round to ensure we get him. I don't care what position he plays. If another 1st or even 2nd round talent falls out of the draft we need to make him a Colt.

14 minutes ago, Booker23 said:

Newsome disappeared this year but I wouldn't cut him

If we signed a guy like Miller then drafted 2 OLB's who's probably already better than him then there wouldn't be a spot for him. He'd probably be like one of the last cuts though. He'd make it until we trimmed down to 53. And its possible we may even be able to trade Werner for a 6th rounder or so. Some teams may think he hasn't had a fair chance or is better suited as a 4-3 DE or whatever. There's probably a team or 2 out there that would give up a 6th for him.

I don't see Allen signing a 1 year deal, especially if we sign Fleener first. Other than that I like it for the most part.

I doubt Von Miller reaches the market, but If he does I hope the Colts go after him pretty hard. I'm not going to pretend to know much about contracts, cap space, or how much a player is worth, but it seems to me the Broncos might be in tight spot this off season. Their free agents include: Von Miller, Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, Danny Trevathan, & Brock Osweiler, and some others. I don't see how they can resign them all, but maybe someone who knows more about that can chime in. 

I've read several places that say Miller is expected to hit the open market. And there's several good corner's available. Led by Josh Norman. So Smith isn't the best available. If Miller does hit the open market I think we have to sign him. And if we pick around 15th we should be within reach of Myles Jack. And it would be worth trading up 3-4 spots to get him.

47 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I've read several places that say Miller is expected to hit the open market. And there's several good corner's available. Led by Josh Norman. So Smith isn't the best available. If Miller does hit the open market I think we have to sign him. And if we pick around 15th we should be within reach of Myles Jack. And it would be worth trading up 3-4 spots to get him.

You said Smith was an elite CB, so I'm assuming he'll command elite money (unless you expect our GM to be persuasive enough to sign an elite player for nonelite money).  Miller will command elite money, as will Osemele.  And trading up to get Jack might cost you the opportunity to select Martin.

I think its more realistic to expect to sign only one elite money player per offseason, either the CB or Miller, and draft the other position in the 1st.  Which means you wouldn't be drafting Jack since he's not a three down edge player or a CB. 

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Ok so we all pretty much agree we have to get a new GM and coaching staff. There's no way I can predict who that'll be so I'll just assume its a major upgrade.

Cut

Arthur Jones

Trent Cole

Andre Johnson

Bjorne Werner

Jonathan Newsome

Re-Sign

Andrew Luck

Coby Fleener

Billy Winn

Sign in Free agency

Von Miller (I think he'll want to reach the open market for numerous reasons. 1) He's the only game changing OLB in this class and he knows he'll get paid. I think we have to go all in and make him a Colt. He's one of those guys who will be worth every penny. He's one of the best Edge Rushers in the NFL and he completely changes our Defense.

Sean Smith (Putting a big physical corner like Smith next to Davis would give us one of the best CB duos in the league. And Smith is a borderline elite corner IMO.

Kelechi Osemele (We have to FIX the offensive line finally. Osemele will be available and is one of the best RGs in the league)

Matt Schaub (gotta have a backup QB and I don't see any way Hasselbeck comes back after the beating he's taken this year.

Draft

1) Myles Jack ILB (We'd have to trade up for Smith, but Jack should fall to 12-15) Maybe we'd have to trade up a spot or 2 but he's worth giving up a 3rd next year IMO)

2) Nick Martin Center

3) Paul Perkins RB

4) Devontae Fields EDGE

5) Yannick Ngakoue EDGE 

7) Devon Johnson RB

Why in the world would you want to cut Newsome?

He's on a rookie contract.     We gain NOTHING by cutting him and risk losing him and then he turns into a good player elsewhere.     He's got 2 more years to go on his rookie deal.    He stays and even if he's not great he can play special teams.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Cut

Arthur Jones

Trent Cole

Andre Johnson

Bjorne Werner

Jonathan Newsome

Re-Sign

Andrew Luck

Coby Fleener

Billy Winn

Sign in Free agency

Draft

2) Nick Martin Center

3) Paul Perkins RB

4) Devontae Fields EDGE

5) Yannick Ngakoue EDGE 

7) Devon Johnson RB

I wouldn't assume a major upgrade with a change in GM and or coaches. Different does not mean better. It seems like most think changes will fix everything in that area. After what the people in place did in their 1st three years any rebuild will take us back to square one. Yes there were some coaching blunders but injuries have had more effect than any coaching mistake. It is a pretty good wish list with the exception of Newsome.

I would love this but as others have said it is unlikely. I agree with the Von Miller signing. I think Sean Smith might be doable without breaking the bank. We definitely need a new #2 cb. We don't need the top guard if that is what Osemele is. We just need a decent one. I think we should try to get a top center in FA as well. I think we should target a tackle in the top 3 rounds. I hope we would try to redo Arthur Jones contract. We will need guys on the d line. I hope we don't draft 1 rb let alone 2. We have to many other holes right now to worry about. Gore and any of our other rbs can make it through another year just fine. Top priorities should be to protect Luck, rush the passer, and improve coverage. Offensive linemen, Outside linebackers, corners. These should be the guys we are looking at. Of course other top talent could fall and we shouldn't get tunnel vision but these positions need help. IMO.

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

I wonder if it would be worth trading up to get Jaylon Smith. We would have to give our 2016/2017 1st Rd. picks and maybe a 3rd also to move up to #5 or #6. We could hire Jim Leavitt to be our LBs coach.  This guy has Patrick Willis 2.0 written all over him!

Let's say Indy is picking 17. I think this year's 1st and next year's 1st should do it to move up and get him. I think he's going around pick 7-10.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Let's say Indy is picking 17. I think this year's 1st and next year's 1st should do it to move up and get him. I think he's going around pick 7-10.

#17 is worth 950. next season's first round pick would probably be 700 to 590 points. Idk if he gets past San Fran @ #5 though.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

For your consideration.....

Our first round picks since 2012:

-- Andrew Luck

-- Bjorn Werner

-- Trent Richardson

-- Phillip Dorsett

My point is I don't think the Colts, as a franchise,  are in a position to send their next TWO 1st round picks for one great defensive player.     Because unless Smith is great, and I mean Von Miller-level great,  then he's not worth it.    And the Colts simply can't afford to not get enough impact out of their 1st round picks.  

I might feel different in a few months once I see Smith tape and testing.....   but as of now,  I'm not prepared to give up two first round picks for anyone in this draft.      Not enough bang for you draft pick buck.

If we cant sign an impact OLB in FA then we'll have to use our 1st rounder on that anyways. And Noah Spence will be there when we pick. And say what you want about him. He's the best pass rusher in this entire class. Then I'd still want us to pick up Fields or Ngakoue in the 4th round or so. So here's another possibility

Sign

Sean Smith

Kelechi Osemele

Malik Jackson

Draft

1) Noah Spence

2) Nick Martin

3) Paul Perkins

4) Yannick Ngakoue

5) Jordan Swindle

7) Devon Johnson

In this scenario we'd obviously have to do something about ILB. I guess we'd re-sign Freeman. I'd like Derrick Johnson but he'll be like 34 next year. Even so he's still a good LB. Or maybe gamble a little and see if we could pull off a trade with the Eagles for Kiko Alonso since they have somewhat of a wealth of ILB's.