Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greatest postprime performances

BloodyChamp

I'm still thinking about Peyton's Sunday night game. Where does it rank to all the hardcore Peyton fanboys? It has to be in the top 10, maybe even top 5. Games like that are some of my favorites. There's just something about an old football player who people say should be took out and shot like old circus animals having a game like that out of nowhere.

This is my personal favorite. It's wrongfully overshadowed by 2009 imo. The Packers, particularly Favre, were written off not only before this game but several minutes into it when it was 0-14. That's when Favre took over.

Other good ones were Montana vs the Broncos in 1994 and Dave Kreig's Thanksgiving day clinic off the bench.

I think nothing can top the AFC Title Game in 2006/Jan2007 coming back from 21-3 down to capture the crown on a clutch final drive at that. At that time nobody thought Brady could do no wrong and Peyton was a choke without a Ring. To finally beat them in a Big game was crucial for Peyton's legacy and a huge relief. Also the game I went to in 2009 when the Colts were down 34-14 with 8 minutes to go and we came back and won 35-34 against the Patriots on a last second pass from Peyton to Wayne. That kept us undefeated too. The comeback against the Bucs in 2003 on that Monday night game was another one way up there. Down 35-14 with 5 minutes left and comeback and win 38-35 in Tampa and Tampa were the defending SB Champs.

My Top 5 Peyton games would be:

1. 2006/Jan 2007 AFC Title Game vs the Patriots

2. 2009 vs the Patriots

3. 2003 at Bucs

4. 2009/Jan 2010 AFC Title Game vs the Jets = Peyton had 377 Yards, 3 TD's, No INTs

5. 2003/Jan 2004 Divisional Game at KC. We won 38-31. I cant remember but I don't think we even punted that game!

These were 5 Peyton masterpieces.

I think nothing can top the AFC Title Game in 2006/Jan2007 coming back from 21-3 down to capture the crown on a clutch final drive at that. At that time nobody thought Brady could do no wrong and Peyton was a choke without a Ring. To finally beat them in a Big game was crucial for Peyton's legacy and a huge relief. Also the game I went to in 2009 when the Colts were down 34-14 with 8 minutes to go and we came back and won 35-34 against the Patriots on a last second pass from Peyton to Wayne. That kept us undefeated too. The comeback against the Bucs in 2003 on that Monday night game was another one way up there. Down 35-14 with 5 minutes left and comeback and win 38-35 in Tampa and Tampa were the defending SB Champs.

My Top 5 Peyton games would be:

1. 2006/Jan 2007 AFC Title Game vs the Patriots

2. 2009 vs the Patriots

3. 2003 at Bucs

4. 2009/Jan 2010 AFC Title Game vs the Jets = Peyton had 377 Yards, 3 TD's, No INTs

5. 2003/Jan 2004 Divisional Game at KC. We won 38-31. I cant remember but I don't think we even punted that game!

These were 5 Peyton masterpieces.

I think he is just talking Top 5 performances by an older post-prime qb...not just a Peyton performance.

Personally there were a couple playoff games by Montana and Marcus Allen that stick in my head in KC and a couple Elway performances late in his career....the leap lol....although he didn't really do a lot in those games it will always be remembered.  Be nice to see Peyton go out with a memorable moment like that.

I think he is just talking Top 5 performances by an older post-prime qb...not just a Peyton performance.

Personally there were a couple playoff games by Montana and Marcus Allen that stick in my head in KC and a couple Elway performances late in his career....the leap lol....although he didn't really do a lot in those games it will always be remembered. Be nice to see Peyton go out with a memorable moment like that.

Yeah, both Elway superbowl runs have to be way up there on the list. Or 2013 manning, the whole regular season was pretty crazy

Personally there were a couple playoff games by Montana and Marcus Allen that stick in my head in KC and a couple Elway performances late in his career....the leap lol....although he didn't really do a lot in those games it will always be remembered.  Be nice to see Peyton go out with a memorable moment like that.

Yeah you are right I misread it haha. I thought he meant Peyton's top performances so I gave my Top 5.

I think the Packer game is in Peyton's top 10 altogether. Top 5 I'm not sure, but I'd put it above the KC playoff game. The reason I'm still not sure though is because there's many other games I'd put over the KC game.

It was a big win. Reason probably may be because it was against a Packers team that has been playing outstanding Defense + Peyton had to deal with Rodgers doing his thing too. Packers were undefeated too. That was pretty impressive in winning 29-10. I thought Denver would win but not like that. I had it 24-20 thinking it could go either way.

Brady's having a great year. Almost makes you wonder if, even at the ripe ol' age of 38, Brady is past his prime or IN his prime.

He has been playing sublime since week 5 last year right through the post-season with two historic comebacks on his way to his third SB MVP. And this year he is having one of the best seasons of his career. As you say, it almost seems as if he has not had a post-prime at all.

He has been playing sublime since week 5 last year right through the post-season with two historic comebacks on his way to his third SB MVP. And this year he is having one of the best seasons of his career. As you say, it almost seems as if he has not had a post-prime at all.

Indeed...so did Peyton in 2013...and half way through 2014 and then nagging injuries and father time stepped in. He is still good enough to get it done but he isn't himself anymore.....kinda like the ol Toby Keith song...."I ain't as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was." Implying Peyton can be Peyton for stretches and games and make enough plays to help Denver win it all...but he can't do it every game carrying them. So as fast as Peyton fell off it could happen with Tom as well...of course he doesn't have the career threatening injury Peyton has to deal with but time too will catch him....although not before I suspect an MVP season and a whole trunk full of records and Lombardis.

Indeed...so did Peyton in 2013...and half way through 2014 and then nagging injuries and father time stepped in. He is still good enough to get it done but he isn't himself anymore.....kinda like the ol Toby Keith song...."I ain't as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was." Implying Peyton can be Peyton for stretches and games and make enough plays to help Denver win it all...but he can't do it every game carrying them. So as fast as Peyton fell off it could happen with Tom as well...of course he doesn't have the career threatening injury Peyton has to deal with but time too will catch him....although not before I suspect an MVP season and a whole trunk full of records and Lombardis.

Yeah, Peyton had a great run really from 2012 through mid point of 2014. I think with Brady his post-season run to the title is what separates him from the other post-prime performances and honestly, I did not think he had that type of run in him. Throwing for 50 times each vs Ravens and Hawks and leading two historic comebacks. I figured if he was going to win another ring it would come from his team carrying him and it was just the opposite. He seems to be playing with such poise and determination this year. I think the 4th championship as you and I have discussed before has motivated him to get another as he had a taste of again of being a champion.

As always, just have to enjoy it while we have it as nothing does last forever. :)