Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could This Change Things?

WoolMagnet

New Def cood, new GM, maybe new coach?Does this sound like a team "making a final run" with a Vet? (assuming he IS gonna be healthy)

On the bright side, if we are adding a new head coach, having the #1 pick and the Manning option has to make it one of the more attractive jobs in the league.

The firings of GM smells to me like Irsay wanted to "discuss" this year's results and the lack of overall talent. My gut says Polian took offense to this and went apecrap.

In the last few years we have lost OC and OL coaches(2 of best in league), defensive coord, RB coach, and countless people on scouting personnel.

This is a TOTALLY different coaching tree than the SB year.

Does this make Indy less attractive to Peyton? (assuming he's healthy)

New Def cood, new GM, maybe new coach?Does this sound like a team "making a final run" with a Vet? (assuming he IS gonna be healthy)

On the bright side, if we are adding a new head coach, having the #1 pick and the Manning option has to make it one of the more attractive jobs in the league.

The firings of GM smells to me like Irsay wanted to "discuss" this year's results and the lack of overall talent. My gut says Polian took offense to this and went apecrap.

In the last few years we have lost OC and OL coaches(2 of best in league), defensive coord, RB coach, and countless people on scouting personnel.

This is a TOTALLY different coaching tree than the SB year.

Does this make Indy less attractive to Peyton? (assuming he's healthy)

It doesn't matter how attractive Indy is to Peyton. As Peyton said himself he's under contract for four more years. It's not his choice if he'll be here next year. It's the Colts. The only option Manning has is to pull a Carson Palmer which is beyond out of charcter for him but if he did that doesn't help him because it forces the Colts to take Luck.

It doesn't matter how attractive Indy is to Peyton. As Peyton said himself he's under contract for four more years. It's not his choice if he'll be here next year. It's the Colts. The only option Manning has is to pull a Carson Palmer which is beyond out of charcter for him but if he did that doesn't help him because it forces the Colts to take Luck.

I know, but do you see my point?

There isn't nearly as much experience in our coaching and front office as just 2 or 3 years ago.

I have an opinion of whats gonna happen but i think I'll keep it to myself. I'm sure it would tick sombody off.

The big question (as big as #1 pick imo) is who's gonna be the next GM? Polian will be tough to replace. Funny too cuz I kind of liked this years draft.

What about caldwell? Too bad harbaugh didn't wait a year to go into coaching. How cool would that have been?

A lot depends on who the GM chooses as the new coach. If it is Jeff Fisher or Jon Gruden, both of whom would love to coach Peyton Manning, you can take that as being the Colts will stick with Manning. But they will probably draft Luck also.

But, at any rate, as I stated in another post, I believe, because of the way Irsay feels about Manning, he will be a Colt for life in some capacity. And it will always be a high paying capacity. Look who is running the Denver Broncos now: John Elway. The same situation will exist with the Colts. Put it in your pipe and smoke it.

Well, you know , a few years ago I remember almost being bored every week. 85% chance of a win, almost boring seasons. Then, the usual out in playoffs before expected.

One thing is for sure , this season hasn't been boring. And I think things will get a little more interesting quite soon.

Anyone have ANY ideas on possible GMs?

There isn't nearly as much experience in our coaching and front office as just 2 or 3 years ago.

I have an opinion of whats gonna happen but i think I'll keep it to myself. I'm sure it would tick sombody off.

The big question (as big as #1 pick imo) is who's gonna be the next GM? Polian will be tough to replace. Funny too cuz I kind of liked this years draft.

What about caldwell? Too bad harbaugh didn't wait a year to go into coaching. How cool would that have been?

Well I think the coaching staff is flux to say the least. I am kinda wondering how this effects the DC search. I don't think Caldwell will get to hire someone till Irsay decides if he's going to be the coach next year or not. Even if he can go looking for one who would take the job till the know if Caldwell is going to stay in place or not because they can get fired when a new coach comes in.

As for the top pick all bets are off at the moment. I will say I think based on what he said today and what he said earlier this year Irsay wants Luck but a new GM might change his mind.

As for Manning, before today I thought Irsay wanted him as well (assuming he's healthy) but after today I am a little less confident about that but I still lean that way. I can see a way no where Manning is not a Colt next year but if he's not it's going to be the Colts call not Mannings. I am not trying to be rude when I say this but frankly Manning's feelings on the subject don't really matter because he's under contract for four years. If he doesn't like the idea of the Colts taking Luck the only thing he can do is hold out or pull a Carson Palmer which is going to force the Colts to take Luck. I mean yes he can ask for a trade or to be released but the Colts can say no you have to honor your contract. So if he leaves the Colts have to agree to it, of all the people in this situation he has the least amount of power at the moment because if Luck doesn't want to sit he can go back to school (I am not saying he will) and the Colts can trade the pick if they don't want Luck or release Manning if they wish. At the moment Manning is pretty much stuck with the will of the Colts.

Well I think the coaching staff is flux to say the least. I am kinda wondering how this effects the DC search. I don't think Caldwell will get to hire someone till Irsay decides if he's going to be the coach next year or not. Even if he can go looking for one who would take the job till the know if Caldwell is going to stay in place or not because they can get fired when a new coach comes in.

As for the top pick all bets are off at the moment. I will say I think based on what he said today and what he said earlier this year Irsay wants Luck but a new GM might change his mind.

As for Manning, before today I thought Irsay wanted him as well (assuming he's healthy) but after today I am a little less confident about that but I still lean that way. I can see a way no where Manning is not a Colt next year but if he's not it's going to be the Colts call not Mannings. I am not trying to be rude when I say this but frankly Manning's feelings on the subject don't really matter because he's under contract for four years. If he doesn't like the idea of the Colts taking Luck the only thing he can do is hold out or pull a Carson Palmer which is going to force the Colts to take Luck. I mean yes he can ask for a trade or to be released but the Colts can say no you have to honor your contract. So if he leaves the Colts have to agree to it, of all the people in this situation he has the least amount of power at the moment because if Luck doesn't want to sit he can go back to school (I am not saying he will) and the Colts can trade the pick if they don't want Luck or release Manning if they wish. At the moment Manning is pretty much stuck with the will of the Colts.

You are right of course in most of what you say. Except I do not believe Irsay will treat Manning with total disrespect after all he has meant to the Colts. The Saints treated Archie with disrespect when they traded him, but he was never to the Saints what Manning has been to the Colts. I know it is all big business, but I believe Irsay wants to retain the good will of Manning, and if Manning does go to play somewhere else, he will still return to the Colts at the end of his career in some major front office or coaching capacity, if that is what he wants to do. He may, on the other hand, choose coaching in college or even broadcasting. Who knows? But, bottom line, the Colts are not going to disrespect Manning.

You are right of course in most of what you say. Except I do not believe Irsay will treat Manning with total disrespect after all he has meant to the Colts. The Saints treated Archie with disrespect when they traded him, but he was never to the Saints what Manning has been to the Colts. I know it is all big business, but I believe Irsay wants to retain the good will of Manning, and if Manning does go to play somewhere else, he will still return to the Colts at the end of his career in some major front office or coaching capacity, if that is what he wants to do. He may, on the other hand, choose coaching in college or even broadcasting. Who knows? But, bottom line, the Colts are not going to disrespect Manning.

I didn't say they would treat Manning with disrepect infact I think Irsay is going to show Manning the upmost respect. With that said it's the Colts that hold the power here not Manning. What I was saying is Peyton Manning can dislike the Colts drafting Luck all he wants he doesn't have a realistic out. It's not up to the Colts to have to do what is best for Manning here. It's up to the Colts to do what is best for the franchise and if they feel that is having Manning as a Colt next year and Luck on the bench getting ready for the future that's what they will do regardless of if Manning doesn't exactly like that. With that said I am sure Manning and the team are going to be respectful of each other as they talk about it. Manning isn't dumb he knows where he stands and if you caught his interview yesterday he pretty much said he's a player here and he will get along with whoever the Colts draft and will do what is right for the team because he's a team guy.

Perhaps I'm not understanding it properly, but I thought he's only under 4 more years of contract if they pay him the $28 million in March. If they pay him the $28 million that means they want him to stay. If they don't pay him that, then the contract is void and he's a free agent. I can't see them giving him all of that money just to trade him. The money is due before the trading window opens. The only way the Colts can trade Manning is if Peyton agrees to push back the 3/8 deadline date and I don't know that it's in his best interest to do so.

Major changes are on the way, so anything may happen. Even manning may leave Colts (oh Lord, please don't let it happen!!!) or we will have Manning/Luck/Orlovsky QB troika, or #1 pick will be traded.

New GM will have to take serious decisions...Manning/Luck...#1 pick...Caldwell's job...just to mention most serious ones.

They will not pay Manning 28 million and trade him. The 28 million is a roster bonus and the Colts would be stuck with that on their cap. He also gets 7 million in salary which would not hit our cap if he is traded. Manning will either be a Colt in March or he will be a free agent. There will not be a trade unless Manning totally restructures the contract to enable a trade.

I want to know what you think might happen. I don't care if it ticks people off, its not your responsibility to keep their feelings in check. Plus if it will make people mad, then it should be interesting! Lol. I may not agree with what your thinking but I still I like to read conflicting opinions.

They will not pay Manning 28 million and trade him. The 28 million is a roster bonus and the Colts would be stuck with that on their cap. He also gets 7 million in salary which would not hit our cap if he is traded. Manning will either be a Colt in March or he will be a free agent. There will not be a trade unless Manning totally restructures the contract to enable a trade.

Yep

Well, you know , a few years ago I remember almost being bored every week. 85% chance of a win, almost boring seasons. Then, the usual out in playoffs before expected.

One thing is for sure , this season hasn't been boring. And I think things will get a little more interesting quite soon.

Anyone have ANY ideas on possible GMs?

You mean an 85% chance of losing every week wasn't boring?

I dont see how it's possible to keep Manning, Draft Luck and still have money to pay quality players to be competitive. If it turns out this way I dont know why, other then maybe a sense of loyalty, Peyton would want to stay here for the remainder of his career.

I dont see how it's possible to keep Manning, Draft Luck and still have money to pay quality players to be competitive. If it turns out this way I dont know why, other then maybe a sense of loyalty, Peyton would want to stay here for the remainder of his career.

well, we can do it for 1 or maybe 2 years because of the adjusted rookie pay scale. Luck will make far less under the new collective bargaining agreement. The only reason Irsay fired the Polians is to get a new coach. I like the idea that Caldwell (who wasn't terrible) might stay on as QB coach. I don't know what Irsay is thinking, but I do remember he was a horrible GM and we need another good one like today. I also know that we have a talented mature man named Jim Tressel on staff who I could respect as either GM or head coach.