Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game planning

Jdubu

I have no idea what the game plans are for the Colts or how they come up with them but how in the world do you not have a single target to a TE (at least through the 3 quarters I stayed at the game)? Blitzing the kitchen sink and what are we trying to do time after time? Throw long. I don't pretend to be an OC but how do you not use the pass catching TE instead of leaving him in to block? Why are you throwing long instead of slants or crossing routes or underneath stuff to a rb or TE? Either Pep is in over his head in developing game plans (which is my belief) or Luck is incapable of figuring out what a defense is trying to do to him. To not have receivers getting open frequently, unlike the opposition, that's just smells of a bad OC getting people in opportunistic spaces. I don't know what this team wants to be really. It's frustrating to watch. Killed by 2 QB's we had no business losing to. I realize Fitz didn't kill it but both opposing qb's have looked better on the filed than our guy now 2 weeks running. I think someone needs walking papers very soon.

I have no idea what the game plans are for the Colts or how they come up with them but how in the world do you not have a single target to a TE (at least through the 3 quarters I stayed at the game)? Blitzing the kitchen sink and what are we trying to do time after time? Throw long. I don't pretend to be an OC but how do you not use the pass catching TE instead of leaving him in to block? Why are you throwing long instead of slants or crossing routes or underneath stuff to a rb or TE? Either Pep is in over his head in developing game plans (which is my belief) or Luck is incapable of figuring out what a defense is trying to do to him. To not have receivers getting open frequently, unlike the opposition, that's just smells of a bad OC getting people in opportunistic spaces. I don't know what this team wants to be really. It's frustrating to watch. Killed by 2 QB's we had no business losing to. I realize Fitz didn't kill it but both opposing qb's have looked better on the filed than our guy now 2 weeks running. I think someone needs walking papers very soon.

Opposing teams DCs are figuring out Pep after getting a couple years of tape on his playcalling. He is becoming too predictable with his play calling and it shows. They know where our team is the weakest and they take full advantage of it. Plus our situational playcalling is terrible. We are always going for the home run ball, or we are running it. We don't know what a intermediate/short passing game is. I believe we dumped a short pass off to Hilton once, a TE once, and hit a RB twice. That is a bit ridiculous to me especially against a blitzing defense.

After watching the last two games, it's clear that every team will blitz against the Colts. Especially  double A-gap blitzes. The O-line has shown that it cannot hold up against these blitzes. For that reason, we are using our TEs as additional blockers. 

Pep and Luck's game plan appears to be to stand in the pocket and let plays develop -- let the receivers work their way open downfield. For two weeks in a row, it hasn't worked. I was expecting a lot more screen passes and draws, and roll-outs. None of that happened. We saw more of the same from the previous game. It was so bad that the announcers were saying "someone has to get open." 

Luck has been playing bad, really, really bad. He's rushing his throws and has been very inaccurate. Much of tonight's loss is on Luck.

Let's analyze the plays that did work for big gains:

1. A deep in-route from Moncrief. The outcome was good, but it's such a basic route, 1-on-1..

2. A come back route for T.Y. where he stiff armed Revis and got hurt. Simple route, 1-on-1.

3. Comeback route to Dorsett along the sideline- Blown coverage, 1 on-1.

4. Moncrief- Z-in route for the TD. 1-on-1

We simply have no route concepts. We are asking the receivers to win 1-on-1 match ups. If they don't, like tonight, we are left with 4 notable plays, as noted above.

There have been plenty of teams that have suspect olines. Those teams have offensive coordinators that scheme roll outs, outlet passes, quick slants, TE rubs off the block, screens and occasionally that deep strike. We seem to deep strike with an occasional short pass. If this team had Manning under center, we would be at least 1-1 if not 2-0 because Manning would have learned to not keep throwing these 40 yard attempts time after time whereas Luck keeps making the same bad throw. Im not bashing Luck on this, he is young but he bears some blame for continuing to do it. I blame Pep for not drawing up plays to take advantage of these all out blitzes and a wide open center field 5 yards away from the Los.

My question with this is how in the world can everyone else see these issues with plays and the team not see it and adjusting to it? If nothing else, you tell the QB to quit looking deep and take the dump offs and over the short middle passes or better yet, design the roll outs to avoid this rush and allow the blocking TE come out for a pass off the roll out. I just can't believe how basic these plays have looked since Pep has shown up. Good or bad online, you can scheme plays to cover up issues to a way better degree than we have. Luck has to use his brain better than he has as well or we are going to be beat all year.

Well you have been watching Luck for 3 plus seasons holding onto the ball, making time in the pocket so he can do what HE WANTS, throw Long.

It Ain`t Pep.

Andrew has had wide open receivers flash across his face from day one, and if any of you Homers were watching the ___ game you had to see him ignore these open receivers to look for the long ball.

And when he has Tried to throw it shorter he was throwing high and behind his receivers. He is a little more accurate in the short game than he was as a Rookie, given Time. But he has a long way to go.

Jim Harbaugh LIED like a Dog when he said Andrew could make all the throws. He still isn`t throwingBBZ like we were Sold on.

Gotta believe it will come by sometime in year 6... Go Colts!!

There have been plenty of teams that have suspect olines. Those teams have offensive coordinators that scheme roll outs, outlet passes, quick slants, TE rubs off the block, screens and occasionally that deep strike. We seem to deep strike with an occasional short pass. If this team had Manning under center, we would be at least 1-1 if not 2-0 because Manning would have learned to not keep throwing these 40 yard attempts time after time whereas Luck keeps making the same bad throw. Im not bashing Luck on this, he is young but he bears some blame for continuing to do it. I blame Pep for not drawing up plays to take advantage of these all out blitzes and a wide open center field 5 yards away from the Los.

My question with this is how in the world can everyone else see these issues with plays and the team not see it and adjusting to it? If nothing else, you tell the QB to quit looking deep and take the dump offs and over the short middle passes or better yet, design the roll outs to avoid this rush and allow the blocking TE come out for a pass off the roll out. I just can't believe how basic these plays have looked since Pep has shown up. Good or bad online, you can scheme plays to cover up issues to a way better degree than we have. Luck has to use his brain better than he has as well or we are going to be beat all year.

I'm really confused why Luck isn't rolling out more or dropping back further.

I'm really confused why Luck isn't rolling out more or dropping back further.

I can understand why he is t dropping back further because his oline isn't consistent with time given and when teams are blitzing 50% of the time, it doesn't afford him the 5-7 step drops. Now roll outs, idk why. Pep is the problem. Is t designing plays well at all. It almost looks like school yard ball at times. Just tells Luck to go make something happen. It's not acceptable either way, offensive coordinator and head coach either reel in the qb or draw up better plays.

It is amazing how the Patriot's can come together and dominate (three rookies on the offensive line and a several players on the street the previous season), but the Colts cannot do anything with their supposed talent.  I understand the Jets were blitzing most of the night and that is why the tight ends were on the line to help block, but why are the tight ends not being used more to open everything up?  I hate the Patriots.  SMH!!!

It is amazing how the Patriot's can come together and dominate (three rookies on the offensive line and a several players on the street the previous season), but the Colts cannot do anything with their supposed talent.  I understand the Jets were blitzing most of the night and that is why the tight ends were on the line to help block, but why are the tight ends not being used more to open everything up?  I hate the Patriots.  SMH!!!

Was there a reason you posted that bold line in your post. :dunno:  Didn't apply to game planing at all. :sip: My bad if I didn't understand what your point was. :sorry: