Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts O-Tackles set,...now to replace the guards.

Lawrence Owen

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/9/16/9338051/chuck-pagano-colts-right-tackle-jack-mewhort-was-outstanding-in-debut

"Mewhort spent 53 snaps in pass protection on Sunday and allowed just one hurry on quarterback Andrew Luck.  The only other tackle in the entire NFL who played that many snaps and didn't allow a hurry?  Fellow Colt Anthony Castonzo."

Guess week 2 of preseason was just a learning curve for Mewhort.  Seems he got some recognition as playing VERY good vrs a VERY good defensive unit.  Granted, it's one game, but he is new to the position in the NFL and will only get better as he gets more experience.

Now the Colts need to worry about the interior of the o-line when next draft comes around.

I thought that Herremans didn't have a bad game. Pretty sure he graded out decent too with PFF something like +1.8. Louis seemed to have problems during the game, and Holmes flashed both good and bad. I am looking forward to this next game to see how the line responds before I base my judgement. The tackles did play very well though and Mewhort really impressed me especially taking on Mario Williams. Not going to lie though due to his preseason play I was somewhat bearish on Mewhort at RT. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Edit: Link PFF: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/14/ind-buf-grades-qb-andrew-lucks-high-powered-offense-struggles/

RT Jack Mewhort +2.6
LT Anthony Castonzo +2.1

RG Todd Herremans +1.8

I kind of wish we would have looked elsewhere for a RT and kept he left side solidified with Castanzo and Mewhort, that way at least one side was hands down covered, now its kind of a hodge podge with the edges set nicely but the entire interior looks shady half the time

I thought that Herremans didn't have a bad game. Pretty sure he graded out decent too with PFF something like +1.8. Louis seemed to have problems during the game, and Holmes flashed both good and bad. I am looking forward to this next game to see how the line responds before I base my judgement. The tackles did play very well though and Mewhort really impressed me especially taking on Mario Williams. Not going to lie though due to his preseason play I was somewhat bearish on Mewhort at RT. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Edit: Link PFF: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/14/ind-buf-grades-qb-andrew-lucks-high-powered-offense-struggles/

RT Jack Mewhort +2.6

LT Anthony Castonzo +2.1

RG Todd Herremans +1.8

I was not saying Herrimans was bad, but he is getting old, and will need to be replaced soon....aka..drafting 2 guards.

Finding a good tackle is MUCH harder than finding a good Guard

Mewhort isnt going back to LG.........

I believe he will just keep getting better (Hope)

You can see the progression already

The line looked worse, because Buffalo would send 6-7 guys every play as blitzers

No line can consistently look good in that world

Our bigger problem at Buffalo was the WRs not getting separation AND Luck being WAY off the mark

It will get better as we game plan for this stuff

There are two positives to Mewhorts performance. As said above, Tackles are harder to find than Guards, and it looks like we may have found our 2 tackles. With that being said, no one is likely to reach on a guard in the NFL draft next year unless that guy is an incredible talent. We may be able to pick a mid-first round talent in the end of the 1st round if he's a guard. I wouldn't mind doing this and leaving Mewhort at RT if he continues to perform well. You can't do this the opposite as the Tackles in the 1st round will be drafted quickly.

There are two positives to Mewhorts performance. As said above, Tackles are harder to find than Guards, and it looks like we may have found our 2 tackles. With that being said, no one is likely to reach on a guard in the NFL draft next year unless that guy is an incredible talent. We may be able to pick a mid-first round talent in the end of the 1st round if he's a guard. I wouldn't mind doing this and leaving Mewhort at RT if he continues to perform well. You can't do this the opposite as the Tackles in the 1st round will be drafted quickly.

I would draft 2 guards next year...  we need them

Our future talent at guard IS NOT on this team

I would draft 2 guards next year...  we need them

Our future talent at guard IS NOT on this team

I think it goes without saying we need more O-line talent. Depending on how Holmes does I'd be thinking we should keep our eyes peeled for a guard (if he plays well) or a center (if he doesn't or he gets injured again) in the early rounds of the draft. Obviously you don't pass up on a real difference maker at another position, but adding an interior O-lineman who can step in and produce would be awesome. I also think we should be in the market for a swing tackle in the mid rounds, so we could start Joe Retiz at one of the guard positions. Obviously there's a whole season and off season to evaluate stuff between now and then, but that's what I would be thinking now. 

Good I think can be a great back up to either tackle

I do think that Reitz needs to move IMMEDIATELY to LG

He has the power to push the pile

I truly dont understand the love for Mewhort at Left Guard and the constant clamoring for his return there.

If you watched the games, Mewhort did a very good job at pass protect at the left G position

HOWEVER

He was a liability in the run game...... he NEVER pushed the pile, he could never open a hole

He was a HUGE contributing factor to our run game being a joke

As a Guard, he needs to be able to move a 310-350Lb DT or NT out of the way

(He couldnt)

As a Tackle, he needs to be able to move a 245-295lb OLB or DE out of the way........ This he can do

I appreciate the love for the guy at LG...... but I dont see it ever happening

He will a be an excellent RT

Good I think can be a great back up to either tackle

I do think that Reitz needs to move IMMEDIATELY to LG

He has the power to push the pile

I truly dont understand the love for Mewhort at Left Guard and the constant clamoring for his return there.

If you watched the games, Mewhort did a very good job at pass protect at the left G position

HOWEVER

He was a liability in the run game...... he NEVER pushed the pile, he could never open a hole

He was a HUGE contributing factor to our run game being a joke

As a Guard, he needs to be able to move a 310-350Lb DT or NT out of the way

(He couldnt)

As a Tackle, he needs to be able to move a 245-295lb OLB or DE out of the way........ This he can do

I appreciate the love for the guy at LG...... but I dont see it ever happening

He will a be an excellent RT

Your comparison of Mewhort to Reitz is exactly the opposite of how Joe Staysniak described them. Doesn't mean he's right.....

I was not saying Herrimans was bad, but he is getting old, and will need to be replaced soon....aka..drafting 2 guards.

Gotcha well yes he is getting old and will need to be replaced soon. I am hoping that Robert Myers on our practice squad or Hugh Thornton can finally step up. However, I think Grigs needs to be a little more active this offseason on the O-Line.

Gotcha well yes he is getting old and will need to be replaced soon. I am hoping that Robert Myers on our practice squad or Hugh Thornton can finally step up. However, I think Grigs needs to be a little more active this offseason on the O-Line.

If I'm not mistaken, we released Myers for David Arkin a few days ago.

Right here's what I would do. I would draft a guard in probably the 2nd round to come in and start day 1. Then I would throw buckets of money at one Marshall Yanda. Or if we cant get Yanda for some reason then we should sign his teammate. Oseleme. (Cant spell that last name lol)

Yes we're finally set at both tackle positions. Now we gotta get some guards. Herremans may be alright this season, but Lance Louis needs to go. And now! Joe Reitz could be a really good LG IMO. Why isn't he starting?

I think they were saving Reitz as a backup RT, however, Good may be a decent RT with more reps and could go in a pinch. 

In my opinion, put in Reitz now and draft his replacement in the spring.

I saw this a little different on my TV...

The tackles were protected from inside rush moves Sunday by a scheme that skews the tackle grades a bit. Both guards and center dropped an extra step deeper into the pocket on pass plays to protect the tackles from the inside rush moves. This may have made their grades better, but the inside bull rushing by the defensive tackles created from the deep drop caused the pocket to fold from the inside. The result made the tackles look good, the interior pocket look bad and the scoreboard look worse.

Our RT is not set.  If the TEs and Backs have to chip on almost every play, it affects the Offense.

I agree are Guards are not set.  Mewhort should be moved back to Guard.  There was a reason he was drafted as a Guard instead as a Tackle (has to do with lack of foot speed).

Our RT is not set.  If the TEs and Backs have to chip on almost every play, it affects the Offense.

I agree are Guards are not set.  Mewhort should be moved back to Guard.  There was a reason he was drafted as a Guard instead as a Tackle (has to do with lack of foot speed).

Mewhort to LG is bad for us right now. We have no player who can play RT as good as him. Reitz is putrid at RT, Good is a rookie. While Mewhort looked promising at LG, he also shows progress at RT. We can't afford to gamble by putting an inferior player at RT.

I saw this a little different on my TV...

The tackles were protected from inside rush moves Sunday by a scheme that skews the tackle grades a bit. Both guards and center dropped an extra step deeper into the pocket on pass plays to protect the tackles from the inside rush moves. This may have made their grades better, but the inside bull rushing by the defensive tackles created from the deep drop caused the pocket to fold from the inside. The result made the tackles look good, the interior pocket look bad and the scoreboard look worse.

This. I see some posts on here sighting PFF grades and analytics about how the pass protection was solid last week. From what I saw the Oline didn't do well inside and there a lot of clean pockets to step up into.

Mewhort to LG is bad for us right now. We have no player who can play RT as good as him. Reitz is putrid at RT, Good is a rookie. While Mewhort looked promising at LG, he also shows progress at RT. We can't afford to gamble by putting an inferior player at RT.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is he needs help almost on every play.  RT should have been addressed earlier.  He shouldn't be showing progress, he should be playing well without help as he played tackle in college.

What has been forgotten was, that Mewhort was moved to guard for a reason, his footwork.  It showed every time he tried to pull on a run play.  IMO, moving him to RT could be costly.