Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts projected starting lineup (Mike Wells)

TKnight24

Didn't know that Chapman doesn't have an NFL sack yet, that's pretty bad

I couldn't care less that he has no sacks. That's not his game. I care that he hasn't been all that good at the one thing he was brought here for. Clogging lanes, occupying blockers, and freeing up linebackers.

In and by itself it's really not. In the scheme he's not really there as a pass rusher so you could live with the 0 sacks if he was doing his primary job of being the anchor point of the D-line and occupying 2 blockers. So far he's not. 

Not too surprising to me.  Sure, I think he could have 'lucked' into a sack or two by now, but I don't really expect that out of Chapman.

There are plenty of folks on here that follow the D alignments and how each is used in our Hybrid 3 - 4.  But I do know Josh was likely the best Zero tech, two gap NT coming out in the draft in 2012.  He played through an ACL (which Dr. James Andrews fixed at season end).  This dropped his potential draft stock to late 2nd or early 3rd round.  Grigson snagged him when he was still around in round 5! (ACL freaks GM's out, even for D lineman).

Typically two gap NT's have to be patient and read and react to direction before committing to action.  This impacts a pass rush ability.  Chapman is a lane clogger, and not an explosive pass rusher (especially having come off ACL in his first season).  When we go 1 gap 3 - 4, (I'm sure we do some type of that too) the pass rush can be unleashed a bit better.  But I don't know how well Chapman's technique is in that scheme.  It wasn't his strong suit in college. 

In essence I'm not too surprised, and some D alignment guru here that has been charting such things will likely chime in to exactly how and what Josh Chapman has been used in and why.

Not too surprising to me. Sure, I think he could have 'lucked' into a sack or two by now, but I don't really expect that out of Chapman.

There are plenty of folks on here that follow the D alignments and how each is used in our Hybrid 3 - 4. But I do know Josh was likely the best Zero tech, two gap NT coming out in 2012. He played through an ACL (which Dr. James Andrews fixed at season end). This dropped his potential draft stock to late 2nd or early 3rd round. Grigson snagged him when he was still around in round 5! (ACL freaks GM's out, even for D lineman).

Typically two gap NT's have to be patient and read and react to direction before committing to action. This impacts a pass rush ability. Chapman is a lane clogger, and not an explosive pass rusher (especially having come off ACL in his first season). When we go 1 gap 3 - 4, (I'm sure we do some tyoe of that too) the pass rush can be unleashed a bit better. But I don't know how well Chapman's technique is in that scheme. It wasn't his strong suit in college.

In essence I'm not too surprised, and some D alignment guru here that has been charting such things will likely chime in to exactly how and what Josh Chapman has been used in and why.

I mean I get all that.... but at least one sack. We play bad QB's 6 times a year. Just get one haha

I like it.  All though I would love to see Geathers starting instead of Lowry but I strongly believe both players are better than Landry.

I get it, and we have some other youngsters too we all want to see contribute.  But the tradition is, a rook has to significantly outplay the vet above him to even sniff a chance at starting.  If they play somewhat equal, the vet starts and the rook sits and learns.  Vets have intangibles (and situational football instincts) that rooks haven't digested yet. So even if talent appears to be on par, other factors lean toward the experienced guy. If Geathers is a s good as we hope, he'll get his chances to display it.

Not a fan all told of that line up, aside form the obvious starters I disagree with:

Cherilus - Still would have preferred to cut him as a post June with Mehwort moving to RT

LG - With moving Mehwort I'd still give Thornton a shot but I have a gut feel Heenan is going to be good for us. Maybe not a day 1 starter but I'm pulling for the guy.

NT - I'd rather start Hughes than Chapman, if Kerr can develop further than than the flashes he showed last season he's another possibility. I don't think Parry will be good enough this year to hold down the starter role.

OLB - Walden over Cole?

CB - Just because I can't trust Toler to stay healthy I could see Smith being in a position to grab a starting role. 

S - I'd hope Geathers is good enough to be a starter, eventually, but I'm not as down on Lowery as others.