Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens and Pats Looking At Reggie Wayne

King Colt

I would love to see him in Denver with Peyton.

I tried looking for it, but I can't find it.  He might not have said it, but I thought he did

It would seem like an odd quote from him as most players understand the business so you don't say things like that as you may be looking for employment one day like he is now and that team may come knocking as the Pats seem to be right now for him.

He kind of reminds me of Rice at the end of his career.  He just didn't want to quit.  He wanted to keep playing and playing.  Of course, Rice was 43 then and Wayne is now 36, but the leg injury and shoulder injury is a sign that football is just too abusive for his body now.  He will most likely be last on a team's depth chart and is risking another injury that could cause problems in years to come.  Reggie is a legend among NFL and Colts fans, and should retire now.    

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/ThankYou87-Reggie-Wayne-Tribute-Video/16798bf9-ef6e-473b-a013-477bd5ae84cd

I just could not imagine any other team's fans chanting REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE.  

He kind of reminds me of Rice at the end of his career.  He just didn't want to quit.  He wanted to keep playing and playing.  Of course, Rice was 43 then and Wayne is now 36, but the leg injury and shoulder injury is a sign that football is just too abusive for his body now.  He will most likely be last on a team's depth chart and is risking another injury that could cause problems in years to come.  Reggie is a legend among NFL and Colts fans, and should retire now.    

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/ThankYou87-Reggie-Wayne-Tribute-Video/16798bf9-ef6e-473b-a013-477bd5ae84cd

I just could not imagine any other team's fans chanting REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE.  

Rice was very productive when he went to the Raiders. He was not at an elite level but still very productive. Reggie could easily be the same assuming the injuries don't continue which is always risky with any player over 35. I get that Colts fans don't want to see him in another uniform as I felt that way about Wilfork but players should play as long as they absolutely can and I am happy Vince is with a team where he can be successful even if in a limited role. I think Reggie could be good for the Pats but I am not sure of his fit given he would be behind both Edelman and Amedola. His position is not a need but I could still see Bill brining him in on the cheap just for his leadership and limited contributions on the field.

Just like with Harrison, who kind of floated out there a bit before finally just fading into memory...I really hope Reggie doesn't play in another uniform, I don't want to see him put a different jersey on. As selfish as that may be...

And maybe rivalries in the NFL aren't as strong as they used to be...really all sports have had a little drain on rivalries due, in some part, to free agency and what not...but you don't sign with a rival like that. You fought tooth and nail to destroy those guys every year of your career basically, don't put that jersey on now...

Rice was very productive when he went to the Raiders. He was not at an elite level but still very productive. Reggie could easily be the same assuming the injuries don't continue which is always risky with any player over 35. I get that Colts fans don't want to see him in another uniform as I felt that way about Wilfork but players should play as long as they absolutely can and I am happy Vince is with a team where he can be successful even if in a limited role. I think Reggie could be good for the Pats but I am not sure of his fit given he would be behind both Edelman and Amedola. His position is not a need but I could still see Bill brining him in on the cheap just for his leadership and limited contributions on the field.

I'm sure he has a little left to give to a football team, but the injuries I think are the most concerning.  Had he not torn his ACL at 35 and injure his shoulder at 36, I think he would be a good option for any team.  That one game last year was hard to watch when Reggie dropped like 4 passes in the same game.  If Reggie would like the leadership role and be a team's #5 WR then that's okay, I just don't know if he would be able to agree with the idea of not being a main option as a WR anymore.  If he joined the Pats, he would be behind Edleman, Amendola, LaFell, and most likely Dobson/Gibson/Tyms (whoever the #4 WR will be), that would be an okay situation given he would not have to risk injury.  I'm still going to support him no matter where he goes, I would just hate to see him injure himself again trying to play another year. 

You think that the Reggie Wayne that was on the field at the end of last season could contribute anything physically to a contender this year?

He was playing through injuries at the end of the season. 

He's not as fast as he used to be of course, but for a team that is WR deprived, I think he's still got something to offer as a slot receiver. 

Radio Houston just said Reggie is being looked at by the Ravens and Pats. Seeing Reggie in a Pats uniform for me is like Texans fans looking and Andre Johnson in a Colts uniform. Oh, the pain!

I would disown Reggie if he signed with the Patriots!!

I get that Colts fans don't want to see him in another uniform as I felt that way about Wilfork but players should play as long as they absolutely can and I am happy Vince is with a team where he can be successful even if in a limited role. I think Reggie could be good for the Pats but I am not sure of his fit given he would be behind both Edelman and Amedola. His position is not a need but I could still see Bill brining him in on the cheap just for his leadership and limited contributions on the field.

Look, NE is a premier franchise who always competes for a title nearly every year & I know BB respects Wayne tremendously & just from a mentorship mental toughness aspect would be an incredible asset. 

I just need to be selfish here & say that 87 needs to retire as a lifelong Colt. Your post was valid & well written AMF, but Reggie is a 1 team guy plain & simple. 

It's like when I watched Joe Montana in Kansas City under HC Marty Schottenheimer. Joe still could play, but something just felt horribly wrong seeing him in Arrowhead red colors. Reggie's horseshoe blue thru & thru to me & there's no need to alter that dynamic. JMO. 

True, I hated to see Manning get released from INDY too, but Peyton actually stayed in the same mascot equestrian symbolic family exchanging the horseshoe for a horse head & I knew how much 18 revered Elway so the move was made easier for me in the longrun. 

Sounds like a contradiction.

It kind of does sound that way lol.  What I meant was, I would be surprised if we went to the Pats, but I would understand.   I can't imagine him being on a team thats not a contender.  I see him in the AFC and the Pats, Steelers and Broncos are arguably the 3 best teams outside of the Colts.  Maybe Ravens.

If he can get healthy again I think he would be a good fit for a team like Seattle that could use that veteren leadership at the wideout position or even a good fit for the Saints or another similar run offense that revolves around running good routes and timing and being where your qb needs you to be. It all comes down to health...but he can help some teams. He isn't a 1000 yd receiver but he can be a guy that gives you a couple big games a year and hopefully count on for those 3rd down conversions....I just think for the money and the role he would likely be asked to play...he probably will choose to retire.