Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning & Records

Hoosier

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2015 - off topic
Hidden by Nadine, July 9, 2015 - off topic

Every year Brady hasn't won the Super Bowl we hear about some nagging injury he had during the season.

Does not happen too often given he has four and has played in six ...

Yeah it happens a good bit. It even happens when he makes the Super Bowl and loses. He's really a jerk when it comes down to it. I know you have some sort of weird infatuation/obsession with the guy that stretches well beyond the realm of normalcy when it comes to fandom, but quite honestly when it comes down to it he really is just an arrogant excuse making cheating jerk off. The line between fact and opinion on that is very thin

Don't use too much logic you might hurt somebody.

Oh my. You really need to take a look at all 32 teams. There were a lot more than 2 teams that were committed to the run - KC, Jets, Bills, Dallas, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Houston, etc ...

None of those teams ran the ball like Dallas and Seattle, even the team whose WRS were TDless last year. Heck didn't Ben throw 6 TDs twice in a row?

None of those teams ran the ball like Dallas and Seattle, even the team whose WRS were TDless last year. Heck didn't Ben throw 6 TDs twice in a row?

That was not your point though. You said, "ok it's every team's plan to run the ball but they end up throwing it except for the 2 teams with the 2 best OLs and RBs. 2 good running teams has got to be a record itself for this era."

That is patently untrue. Many teams were committed to the run last year and were successful.           

The Bronco's plan to run the ball is every team's plan every year. Then every team ends up throwing it. They might as have 2 record books. The old one and one that starts in 2010 because every top 10 record chart will soon be filled with records since then soon.

I think the 2006 is the cutoff year.  That is when Goodell started punishing defensive players for otherwise legal plays.

I imagine he gets them all....I actually believe if he finishes the year healthy and the Broncos are successful he will finish out his contract next year. The only way I see him hanging it up is with a SB win or a really horrible season or from injury.

I imagine he gets them all....I actually believe if he finishes the year healthy and the Broncos are successful he will finish out his contract next year. The only way I see him hanging it up is with a SB win or a really horrible season or from injury.

Sadly injuries is what often does great players like Peyton in.  They just get to a point where the body can't bounce back anymore and little nicks and scraps add up and become more serious injuries than they would have been.  With that said I think Peyton gets all the major passing records this year.  Clearly in a perfect world for him he would get all the records and win a Super Bowl and ride off into the sunset.  However, sports very rarely work like that. 

Sadly injuries is what often does great players like Peyton in.  They just get to a point where the body can't bounce back anymore and little nicks and scraps add up and become more serious injuries than they would have been.  With that said I think Peyton gets all the major passing records this year.  Clearly in a perfect world for him he would get all the records and win a Super Bowl and ride off into the sunset.  However, sports very rarely work like that. 

Indeed....I think he looks at Derek Jeter and hopes he can go out with grace and with a few more memorable games. I don't think he has anything to prove...just enjoy it and hopefully leave with a couple more memories. The NFL owes Peyton nothing and he owes it nothing. He has had an incredible career full of so many amazing moments...he has done it all. Won a championship....carried his teams to amazing finishes....accomplished everything any qb can accomplish...his masterpiece is complete....imo all i want is a few final brush strokes by an amazing artist and he can sign his name. When that happens I'll be the first to give him a big Thank you for all the memories!!

Remember what Will is saying here when you hear pre-season talk of how the Broncos are going to run the ball more

I think they will run it more if they are having success, but he isn't going to continue to hand it off if they are getting stuffed over and over

I was thinking about this topic and came to the conclusion that Peyton will very likely end up with a whole slew of records...and the game will always remember him and his contributions....much like Unitas, Marino, and Favre....I do have to concede though that history tells us one thing is that records are made to be broken...and especially passing records for qbs. Time will degrade that legacy of Peytons just as it has Favres and Marinos to an extent. History has a way of remembering the Champions like Bradshaw and Montana and likely will Brady..in a more favorable light because Championships hold more reverance than records in this sport. It isn't baseball....it isn't 755. It isn't 61. It isn't 4256 or even 300 wins. Baseball holds records holy I guess you would say....football it seems championships. I mean we hear about Namath as much if not more than many of those contemparies because of his SB when guys like Tarkenton and others were so very very much more talented. All said what does make Peyton special is that he does have a championship...he has taken his team to that mountain top and has all these records too. He has had a very special career. It might saden me that he may not be remembered as favorably down the road as some others because he didn't win that final game as often....but then I think about his career off the field....and it is as decorated as the one he has made for himself on the field...and I then remember why I put him at #1 in my book....not of all time qbs...but just my #1 favorite.

I was thinking about this topic and came to the conclusion that Peyton will very likely end up with a whole slew of records...and the game will always remember him and his contributions....much like Unitas, Marino, and Favre....I do have to concede though that history tells us one thing is that records are made to be broken...and especially passing records for qbs. Time will degrade that legacy of Peytons just as it has Favres and Marinos to an extent. History has a way of remembering the Champions like Bradshaw and Montana and likely will Brady..in a more favorable light because Championships hold more reverance than records in this sport. It isn't baseball....it isn't 755. It isn't 61. It isn't 4256 or even 300 wins. Baseball holds records holy I guess you would say....football it seems championships. I mean we hear about Namath as much if not more than many of those contemparies because of his SB when guys like Tarkenton and others were so very very much more talented. All said what does make Peyton special is that he does have a championship...he has taken his team to that mountain top and has all these records too. He has had a very special career. It might saden me that he may not be remembered as favorably down the road as some others because he didn't win that final game as often....but then I think about his career off the field....and it is as decorated as the one he has made for himself on the field...and I then remember why I put him at #1 in my book....not of all time qbs...but just my #1 favorite.

Good post dgambill. I think with football you also have the rule changes to factor in when it comes to stats and records as well as the evolution of the game. But championships stand the test of time because no matter what era you play in they are difficult to achieve. I also think with Qbs their ability to lead their team to championships is revered more because of the unique nature of the position and their influence on the outcome of the game. That being said, we all know it is a team that wins ultimately but the QBs that lead those teams go down in lore.

Good post dgambill. I think with football you also have the rule changes to factor in when it comes to stats and records as well as the evolution of the game. But championships stand the test of time because no matter what era you play in they are difficult to achieve. I also think with Qbs their ability to lead their team to championships is revered more because of the unique nature of the position and their influence on the outcome of the game. That being said, we all know it is a team that wins ultimately but the QBs that lead those teams go down in lore.

I agree....I have to say I've gone through a very very special time I feel like as a fan of the NFL. I started understanding and watching when I was probably 6 and from that time on I witnessed qbs of the likes of Marino/Montana/Elway/Kelly/Moon/Favre/Young/Cunningham/Aikman/Warner/Manning/Brady/Brees and into this latest crop of super stars. Others older will have a more impressive list but I gotta say I've seen some special play at the position...and I've loved cheering for many of those guys but something about how Manning plays the game...the excitement...the execution...his cadence at the line etc...just oh so much fun to watch! That said I thought I had seen the greatest when I was watching Walter Payton...and then along came Barry Sanders....so someday that may change for me but as his career winds down its been a pleasure to spend my Sunday afternoons watching him do his thing. Watching Tom or Peyton or Drew work a 2 minute drill or Brett make something out of nothing etc is something to behold and I'm excited to know I should get to see this next crop of stars like Andrew do some remarkable things as well. I know not everyone feels the same way but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Peyton go out with one more championship run....it probably isn't in the cards but I just hope to have that last memory still be a good one!

I think they will run it more if they are having success, but he isn't going to continue to hand it off if they are getting stuffed over and over

That's very true and my concern is that, with a restructured offensive line, they will have difficulty running the ball early in the season. Peyton, now healthy, will find that he's still as good as he was the last 3 years.

Late in the season, the run game may kick in because, to me, the linemen who left (guys like Manny Ramirez) weren't exactly all pros.

I don't think they'll miss Julius Thomas much. He was hurt so much and. while he played, he didn't do much late in the year.

Owen Daniels is less talented but more relaible

and I know I said this last year and was 100% wrong but second year WR Cody Latimer from IU should make a major impact.