Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mini Camp June 10th Notes

TKnight24

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes I have from the practice:

It looked like they were trying Hugh Thornton at left guard. I think the starting O line left to right was Costanzo, Thornton, Holmes, Herremans, and Mewhort.. but I thought I also saw Lance Louis at LG with the first team also.

Bjoern Werner looked a step slower than the other linebackers.

The running backs looked shifty. Especially Boom. I was also impressed with Josh Robinson. We sat next to his girlfriend.

Vincent Brown started slow but made some great catches. All the WRs looked good.

Andrew Luck did not have the best day. His interception was horrible and his chemistry with TY Hilton looked a little off surprisingly.

The Dwayne Allen injury was scary, but he was out there catching passes afterwards. Sigh of relief.

I really liked Amarlo Herrera's coverage skills. He was the reason for the Winston Guy interception on Hasselbeck.

Lastly, I got a lot more autographs this year including from Donte Moncrief, Josh Robinson, Adam Vinatieri (who also had a great day), Jerrell Freeman, and D'Qwell Jackson.

I was 3 rows right behind his girlfriend also! We were close! I agree with your write up!!!!

No mention of Carter that I noticed... Anyone notice him out there or was he a non-factor?

Oh yeah! He's hard not to notice! He's a pretty big reciever.

I saw him returning punts with Quan Bray and Phillip Dorsett.

He was running some good routes and looked like he has some solid tools. The whole offense was somewhat of a mess though it seemed so he didn't really have a play that stood out.

Offense will come along though!

No mention of Carter that I noticed... Anyone notice him out there or was he a non-factor?

Bravo pretty much summed it up. He returned punts and kicks and caught a few passes. He was basically a non factor due to the other receivers getting their catches. The biggest thing that stood out to me so far is that it seems like Moncrief is number 3 right now. He saw much more action than Dorsett.

Top 5? You must be outta your mind....

Why?  You realize Dallas just got 3 picks that are 1st round (talent) in the draft, among the best OL in the league.  Seattle and Green Bay have been the top of the NFC for the last few years!  If I'm so wrong, then what do you propose? and why?

Its all subjective but I could agree with 13th. We don't have a lot of great depth. The success of our offense had often been in spite of the line.

I hate to say it, but with out luck the colts dont dominate the afc south, we blend into it. With out him its hard to see us being better than the texsns last year

We won't ever know, but 13th of 32 is extremely hard to believe.  Yes, backups are very important to overall roster, but the starters we have definitely outweigh that.  Plus look at our WR QB depth.  Best in the league!  With a healthy Cherilus and Thomas our OL is in pretty good shape also.  Our depth is very weak in some areas but what teams don't have weak areas, that's why they're not starting...

Like you said, it's all subjective and can't be proved one way or another, but one thing is for sure, good rosters play good, average rosters are in the middle of the pack, bad rosters perform poorly!

Why?  You realize Dallas just got 3 picks that are 1st round (talent) in the draft, among the best OL in the league.  Seattle and Green Bay have been the top of the NFC for the last few years!  If I'm so wrong, then what do you propose? and why?

What does the talent of those teams have to do with the Colts being a top 5 roster?

We won't ever know, but 13th of 32 is extremely hard to believe.  Yes, backups are very important to overall roster, but the starters we have definitely outweigh that.  Plus look at our WR QB depth.  Best in the league!  With a healthy Cherilus and Thomas our OL is in pretty good shape also.  Our depth is very weak in some areas but what teams don't have weak areas, that's why they're not starting...

Like you said, it's all subjective and can't be proved one way or another, but one thing is for sure, good rosters play good, average rosters are in the middle of the pack, bad rosters perform poorly!

i think when they were doing that ranking they weighed the QB the same as any other position.  at least thats how i interpreted it.  in that case i think 13th is fair, and thats still top half of the league.

if you adjust for true value of the QB(and other important spots like pass rushers and WRs)  this is easily a top ten roster, and you could make a case for top 5

Both of these quotes are the same yet so different.....UHHH UHHH!!! :lecture: Just kidding...:)

Well the first one I said he was a "bug" guy. I'm not really sure is he is or not.... He hasn't been asked that question yet!

Then when I fixed it to "big" guy it posted the whole thing again! So I had to fix the other one also!!!! haha

What does the talent of those teams have to do with the Colts being a top 5 roster?

I thought you were commenting on the 3 teams not being that high on the list.  Well, Colts made it to the AFC CG last year meaning 1 of 4 teams remaining.  They have gotten better, while the Pats have lost talent!  Normally the teams with the more talented roster perform better.  Granted the Colts were depleted in some areas last season, but it sounds like they have filled those holes.  Only time will tell if they have, but I think it's probably safe to say they have improved.

My question to you, why isn't the Colts in the top 5, and why?  Who exactly is in the top 5? 

I thought you were commenting on the 3 teams not being that high on the list.  Well, Colts made it to the AFC CG last year meaning 1 of 4 teams remaining.  They have gotten better, while the Pats have lost talent!  Normally the teams with the more talented roster perform better.  Granted the Colts were depleted in some areas last season, but it sounds like they have filled those holes.  Only time will tell if they have, but I think it's probably safe to say they have improved.

My question to you, why isn't the Colts in the top 5, and why?  Who exactly is in the top 5?

Off the top of my head and in no particular order

Seattle

Green Bay

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Broncos

Dallas

Colts don't qualify.....because their roster simply isn't good enough...especially when you consider the lack top flight talent in critical areas: the offensive line and defensive front seven. Minus the QB, teAms like the Bills, Rams, Vikings, Panthers have superior rosters to the colts.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order

Seattle

Green Bay

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Broncos

Dallas

Colts don't qualify.....because their roster simply isn't good enough...especially when you consider the lack top flight talent in critical areas: the offensive line and defensive front seven. Minus the QB, teAms like the Bills, Rams, Vikings, Panthers have superior rosters to the colts.

Sorry Baltimore, definitely not! Colts pounded them. I was at the game and witnessed it firsthand. It was competitive, but easily managed to say the least. Pittsburgh, you can make the case because they handed us our butts on a silver platter. However Big Ben was playing lights out (best streak in his career), and the team was working very well together. They play today, most definitely a different outcome.

For teams like the Bills Rams Vikes and Panthers... OK just stop while you're making valid points. Panthers shouldnt've made the playoffs. Vikes are bottom dwellers in their division. Bills and Rams are where we were 2 years ago. Up and coming but still young and inexperienced!

Sorry Baltimore, definitely not! Colts pounded them. I was at the game and witnessed it firsthand. It was competitive, but easily managed to say the least. Pittsburgh, you can make the case because they handed us our butts on a silver platter. However Big Ben was playing lights out (best streak in his career), and the team was working very well together. They play today, most definitely a different outcome.

For teams like the Bills Rams Vikes and Panthers... OK just stop while you're making valid points. Panthers shouldnt've made the playoffs. Vikes are bottom dwellers in their division. Bills and Rams are where we were 2 years ago. Up and coming but still young and inexperienced!

So because a teams whips another it's impossible to have a better roster? Ok.....

Put Luck on the Bills/Rams and put their QB on the Colts and see what happens lol.

So because a teams whips another it's impossible to have a better roster? Ok.....

Put Luck on the Bills/Rams and put their QB on the Colts and see what happens lol.

Teams win because they are better.  Granted sometimes teams and players go through slumps, streaks, have injuries or controversies, which can dictate how teams perform.  Also where the game is played (home or away) , but as a rule of thumb, if a team is beating up on another then they have a better roster (more talented).  There could be other reasons such as bench players playing as starters, like at the end of the season.  Why else would another team win?

You can't just put Luck on the Bills/Rams and see what happens.  Luck is the foundation to the franchise.  We wouldn't be as good as what we are without him.  His talent and appeal to incoming free agents help build the roster.  That's like saying give us Brady and Belichick and we would be better than the Pats!  That's a no brainer :)

Teams win because they are better.  Granted sometimes teams and players go through slumps, streaks, have injuries or controversies, which can dictate how teams perform.  Also where the game is played (home or away) , but as a rule of thumb, if a team is beating up on another then they have a better roster (more talented).  There could be other reasons such as bench players playing as starters, like at the end of the season.  Why else would another team win?

You can't just put Luck on the Bills/Rams and see what happens.  Luck is the foundation to the franchise.  We wouldn't be as good as what we are without him.  His talent and appeal to incoming free agents help build the roster.  That's like saying give us Brady and Belichick and we would be better than the Pats!  That's a no brainer :)

Not really true. It's a QB driven league.

Not really true. It's a QB driven league.

A great QB makes a great team, in which we have.  Luck is on our team not on any other team so you can't just say if you exclude him...  Or He makes our team/roster good, because that is only looking a part of the picture.  Same thing could be said about Seattle, if you replace their secodary with average players, they're probably not SB contenders... But they have the LOB and they are SB contenders, and that's that!