Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Fisher visiting Colts.

I really do love Fisher, but Theres something that I just don't like about taking him at 29. This is my OT rankings:

1. La'el Collins

2.  DJ Humphries

3. Andrus Peat

4. Jake Fisher

5. TJ Clemmings

6. Ereck Flowers

I think I'm not 100% sold on Fisher yet because he's not as at run blocking as the others. He's a better pass protector, but that is something that usually comes with time and practice. Run blocking is a bit harder to teach. I do like Fisher, not my favorite prospect at 29, but would be a decent option.

I see him as a early 2nd round pick due to athleticism. With that I don't really like the thought of picking him up at pick 29. I wouldn't mind it if we traded down to the early 2nd and picked him up while acquiring another 3rd or 4th round pick.

I think we need to go defense the first 2-3 rounds. I'll be upset if we go OT round 1.

I think that's the wrong approach, to have made up our minds that it must be defense in the first 2-3 rounds. I'm not going to say it's always a straight up BPA strategy, as fit has to be considered too. But if we get a good OT like Fisher at 29, I'll be pumped. That's also an area of need anyways, so I don't see how we lose. Of course I hope we snag a good D-lineman or 2, hopefully a safety along the way. Another corner would be nice. But I want the staff to be flexible in their thinking if and when better players are available. 

He needs a year in the weight room, maybe two. He has great movement and good hand placement, but he's really lacking in power. 

I agree it's his power that's his immediate weakness at the next level. The only guys who I feel highly confident are pro-ready to step in as rookies and perform in this year's class of OTs are Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins (Cam Erving at C too). Although I think Fisher will wind up better than Collins eventually and maybe even Scherff. I do believe Fisher maybe could come in and start day 1, but I'm not rock solid on that because I agree he needs to add strength. 

I agree it's his power that's his immediate weakness at the next level. The only guys who I feel highly confident are pro-ready to step in as rookies and perform in this year's class of OTs are Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins (Cam Erving at C too). Although I think Fisher will wind up better than Collins eventually and maybe even Scherff. I do believe Fisher maybe could come in and start day 1, but I'm not rock solid on that because I agree he needs to add strength. 

Everybody wants to move Scherff to guard, so he's kind of in a different bucket. I don't get it; I think he's a plus level tackle. But he'd probably be an All Pro at guard in short order. To me, he's the best lineman in this draft.

Erving is good at center, but I think the reason he gets so much love is because of his "versatility," however, he's not that good at tackle. Yeah, he played tackle, but Michael Jordan played baseball, too. To me, Erving is a center, maybe a guard. Not a tackle. As such, I think he's a stretch as a first round prospect. But still pro ready at center.

Back to Fisher, the fact that he's relatively weak means to me that you can't even move him inside to guard. He's not a starter right away, IMO. You can get away with him in a zone scheme, but not in ours. If we plan on going with a lot more zone, then great; I think we should anyways. If not, I don't like him in the first round. If he's there at #61, I'm all over it.

I really do love Fisher, but Theres something that I just don't like about taking him at 29. This is my OT rankings:

1. La'el Collins

2. DJ Humphries

3. Andrus Peat

4. Jake Fisher

5. TJ Clemmings

6. Ereck Flowers

I think I'm not 100% sold on Fisher yet because he's not as at run blocking as the others. He's a better pass protector, but that is something that usually comes with time and practice. Run blocking is a bit harder to teach. I do like Fisher, not my favorite prospect at 29, but would be a decent option.

Pass pro is the harder thing to teach. Run blocking is much less technique. Still, hard to teach a guy run blocking if he doesn't have it.

Everybody wants to move Scherff to guard, so he's kind of in a different bucket. I don't get it; I think he's a plus level tackle. But he'd probably be an All Pro at guard in short order. To me, he's the best lineman in this draft.

Erving is good at center, but I think the reason he gets so much love is because of his "versatility," however, he's not that good at tackle. Yeah, he played tackle, but Michael Jordan played baseball, too. To me, Erving is a center, maybe a guard. Not a tackle. As such, I think he's a stretch as a first round prospect. But still pro ready at center.

Back to Fisher, the fact that he's relatively weak means to me that you can't even move him inside to guard. He's not a starter right away, IMO. You can get away with him in a zone scheme, but not in ours. If we plan on going with a lot more zone, then great; I think we should anyways. If not, I don't like him in the first round. If he's there at #61, I'm all over it.

Interesting, I agree part of the reason I like Fisher at 29 is that I think we need a bit more zone in our mix. But if the coaches have no inclination to do that, then the pick doesn't make sense. 

Regarding the 1st round prospect O-lineman, I see a few pairings.

I think Scherff can be an excellent right tackle. I think he and La'El Collins are actually similar players - both extremely strong, have decent mobility, but relatively compact for a tackle. But Scherff is a little better in all three areas, and the better player overall. Either can kick inside to guard but I believe right tackle makes the most sense, especially for Scherff who is a bit more mobile. These are guys I see as immediate starters.

Similarly I see parallels between Jake Fisher and D.J. Humphries. Both are highly athletic, have pretty good length, but played too light in college. Much like Scherff was better than Collins in all three areas, Fisher edges Humphries in each as well. Fisher also gets the nod in terms of durability. These are guys that I think could start as rookies, but maybe won't. They could become really good tackles because they have such great pass protection tools, but they might need time.

T.J. Clemmings is a boom or bust type of guy. I think he still needs time to learn the position. He's a punishing run blocker and has the long arms and quickness you'd like in a tackle in pass pro. Very physical playing style, he's just so raw that it's hard to project.

Cam Erving - yes, you draft him to play center imo. He's better than than at tackle. I'd rank him as an interior blocker instead.

Andrus Peat and Ereck Flowers are another 2 I'd pair in that they're simply the ones I'm on the fence about. To be fair, I haven't really watched that much of either player. I've only seen 2 of Flower's games, and 1 of Peat's. I haven't seen anything out of them to make me think "probable bust" but I just don't feel like if I had to put my own money down, I'd pick either one as more likely to have a better career than a guy like Jake Fisher.

In terms of where they're actually at right now, I go:

1. Scherff

2. Collins

3. Fisher

4. Humphries

In terms of they're top end ceiling (it's obviously questionable if they ever even reach it) I go:

1. Clemmings

2. Fisher

3. Scherff

4. Humphries

Again, I admit I haven't watched that much of Flowers or Peat on tape. 

Interesting, I agree part of the reason I like Fisher at 29 is that I think we need a bit more zone in our mix. But if the coaches have no inclination to do that, then the pick doesn't make sense. 

Regarding the 1st round prospect O-lineman, I see a few pairings.

I think Scherff can be an excellent right tackle. I think he and La'El Collins are actually similar players - both extremely strong, have decent mobility, but relatively compact for a tackle. But Scherff is a little better in all three areas, and the better player overall. Either can kick inside to guard but I believe right tackle makes the most sense, especially for Scherff who is a bit more mobile. These are guys I see as immediate starters.

Similarly I see parallels between Jake Fisher and D.J. Humphries. Both are highly athletic, have pretty good length, but played too light in college. Much like Scherff was better than Collins in all three areas, Fisher edges Humphries in each as well. Fisher also gets the nod in terms of durability. These are guys that I think could start as rookies, but maybe won't. They could become really good tackles because they have such great pass protection tools, but they might need time.

T.J. Clemmings is a boom or bust type of guy. I think he still needs time to learn the position. He's a punishing run blocker and has the long arms and quickness you'd like in a tackle in pass pro. Very physical playing style, he's just so raw that it's hard to project.

Cam Erving - yes, you draft him to play center imo. He's better than than at tackle. I'd rank him as an interior blocker instead.

Andrus Peat and Ereck Flowers are another 2 I'd pair in that they're simply the ones I'm on the fence about. To be fair, I haven't really watched that much of either player. I've only seen 2 of Flower's games, and 1 of Peat's. I haven't seen anything out of them to make me think "probable bust" but I just don't feel like if I had to put my own money down, I'd pick either one as more likely to have a better career than a guy like Jake Fisher.

In terms of where they're actually at right now, I go:

1. Scherff

2. Collins

3. Fisher

4. Humphries

In terms of they're top end ceiling (it's obviously questionable if they ever even reach it) I go:

1. Clemmings

2. Fisher

3. Scherff

4. Humphries

Again, I admit I haven't watched that much of Flowers or Peat on tape. 

Good stuff.

I like Flowers and Peat, also. In terms of talent and ability, I'd put both of them ahead of Fisher, Humphries and Clemmings. Some say Peat is soft at the point of attack, and it's true that his hand punch is inconsistent, but I really like him. I've watched entire Stanford games so that I can see more of him, and I think he's the real deal. His USC tape on DB is strong. (Watching those Stanford games also allowed me to watch Henry Anderson, who I really like as well.)

Flowers is a red flag for me, because of his knee surgery. He likely had a piece of his meniscus removed, which can turn into a long term thing and lead to arthritis, and later microfracture. Then you're looking at Gosder again. I like his play, but because of the knee, I'd rather have any of the others we're talking about.

So for me, it's Scherff, Collins, Peat, Clemmings, Fisher, Humphries, Flowers, in order. The first two are probably gone by #29; I'd take Peat or Clemmings in the first round, and the other three in order as soon as #61. I wouldn't trade up for any of them, at any point.

Good stuff.

I like Flowers and Peat, also. In terms of talent and ability, I'd put both of them ahead of Fisher, Humphries and Clemmings. Some say Peat is soft at the point of attack, and it's true that his hand punch is inconsistent, but I really like him. I've watched entire Stanford games so that I can see more of him, and I think he's the real deal. His USC tape on DB is strong. (Watching those Stanford games also allowed me to watch Henry Anderson, who I really like as well.)

Flowers is a red flag for me, because of his knee surgery. He likely had a piece of his meniscus removed, which can turn into a long term thing and lead to arthritis, and later microfracture. Then you're looking at Gosder again. I like his play, but because of the knee, I'd rather have any of the others we're talking about.

So for me, it's Scherff, Collins, Peat, Clemmings, Fisher, Humphries, Flowers, in order. The first two are probably gone by #29; I'd take Peat or Clemmings in the first round, and the other three in order as soon as #61. I wouldn't trade up for any of them, at any point.

I could never draft Flowers after what I saw at the combine.

https://vine.co/v/OxlhmW1Y7UV

From the little research I've done there are a lot of things to like about Fisher but his penalties worry me.  It's not good to be called out as one of the most penalized tackles in the draft.  If he has to get grabby with college dlineman the problem will be worse going against NFL dlineman.

Like it has been mentioned already, Fisher has to gain strength but I like him, One of the very first things I look for besides strength and balance in an O Lineman is athleticism, If a guy aint athletic and can play balanced then I don't want him...Balance is a bit of an issue with Flowers at time but he has strength and athletcism

From the little research I've done there are a lot of things to like about Fisher but his penalties worry me.  It's not good to be called out as one of the most penalized tackles in the draft.  If he has to get grabby with college dlineman the problem will be worse going against NFL dlineman.

A lot of his penalties come on movement plays, especially screens.