Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Mock 2.0/Post Combine(No FA)

I'm not good at the FA stuff so I'll leave that to someone else. But here is my 2nd draft. I based it on what Grigson said about the trenches. That's where you win. This is a trenches draft that not only gets you talented players, but at positions of need. I've seen what I needed to see at the combine and keeping in mind how Grigson drafts, this is what I came up with. The 1st round pick was the hardest.

Round 1- Carl Davis, DT/DE Iowa

I struggled for weeks on what lineman would be there at 29. I like Armstead but he won't get passed on. Phillips goes to Broncos, and Malcolm Brown is gone. Davis is BPA (based on how I see the 1st round playing out) and is a Grigson guy. You'll hear stuff like "questionable motor" and/or "disappears" thrown around at him, but that stuff is said about every 300+ pound player. The guy is a high character player who consistently gets into the back field. He's versatile since he can come in and play DE, or add 10 lbs and move to NT. I saw a combine interview he did and the guy he did it said he was impressed by his humbleness. http://ind.scout.com/story/1520788-wilson-s-word-who-made-an-impression?s=113

Round 2- Stephone Anthony, ILB Clemson

Isn't that a little early for Anthony? Yes and No. The ILB class is poor this year, and there aren't many guys who have high 1st round grades. Mostly because they all have different flaws, besides Kendricks who could go end of day 1. This guy is the complete package, but just raw. He's 6'3" and 240 lbs so size isn't an issue like with Perryman or Kendricks. If you watch his tape (FSU is a good example) you can see that he can cover, which is a biggie. He also ran a 4.56 at the Combine so he's got speed. If you want Anthony (which I think the Colts do) this is where you have to get him. Although I could be a round off.

Round 3- Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana

I could be a round off here, but I think he'll be there. This is a deep RB class and after Gurley and Gordon go, teams may like guys like Abdullah, Davis, Ajayi, and even Langford over Coleman. Grigson said in a press conference that if they miss they "better not miss in their backyard". And that's where Coleman comes in. He'll be a guy who will help us be a physical team by wearing guys down and taking pressure off Luck. If my predictions are off, you could probably swap Coleman and Anthony but it'd be the same result. I do like other backs, but I'm sure Grigs and his staff love Coleman

Round 4- Jaquiski Tartt, SS Samford

I originally thought this was too far for him to fall but this is a weak safety class and certain guys with more name recognition will go before him. Guys like Derron Smith, Anthony Harris, Gerod Holliman, Adrian Amos, and others. This is like with Pierre Desir last year. A small school riser who won't guy as high as some think but he'll get picked up by the right team. He's got great size at 6'0 and 218 lbs. On tape the guy is a missile to ball carriers and holds up in coverage. Pagano will do wonders with this guy

Round 5- Jamil Douglas, OT/G Arizona State

It's about the trenches. Despite our O-line problems, we do have depth there. I haven't given up on Thorton yet, and Reitz is underrated. We also have the guy from the CFL we signed and Ulrick John. If Cherilus is cut, that could be bad though. Douglas is a versatile lineman (much like Mewhort) who can sit for a year and learn, and maybe provide some relief for a starter. He's got very natural guard skills, and can be refined to play tackle if you need it. If Cherilus is cut, you flip Mewhort out to RT and plug Douglas in at LG. Underrated player here

Round 6- Joey Mbu, DT/DE Houston

Another versatile lineman to build the trenches. He didn't have a whole lot of production at Houston but he definitely stood out. He can't start now, but he can put on some weight and provide extra depth for the line and compete with guys like Quarles and Kerr for playing time off the back. Like Davis, you could groom him to play nose. Not a sexy pick, but it's good value this late in the draft

Round 6- Cam Thomas, CB Western Kentucky

Our CB depth Is very thin. Thomas is an under the radar press-corner who the staff will know well from studying Andrew Jackson last year. With all the CB's running these super fast 40's, he will be completely over looked and fall right in our laps. Can eventually replace Toler as well.

Round 7- Davaris Daniels, WR Notre Dame

Another local kid who could probably develop into something. If I'm not mistaken, this is the guy who said he tailored his game around Reggie Wayne. He ran slow at 4.62, but at 6'1" he's probably a procession receiver with game speed. Worth a shot.

Let me know what you guys think.

like tartt pick i feel you overdrafted stephone tho

That's how I felt at first too, but he's probably a better prospect than most of the other ILBs. Once Kendricks, and McKinney are gone Anthony and Perryman are the only decent ILBs left, not counting Dawson since he's more of a 4-3 OLB. That's the reasoning behind the pick.

I like this draft for the most part. I'd like for us to pick up mike Davis instead but I understand your reasoning for picking a different back. I really question whether Anthony is going to be any good though. Never really showed up for Clemson until this year.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I think Davis is a reach at 1.

I had Phillips, Shelton, Kendricks, Armstead, Lael Collins, Clemmings, and Brown were all off the board at our pick. He was the BPA.

I don't like Coleman more and more by the day and if the ILB's don't have first round grades, why not wait until the third round to get Anthony.

Because there are like 4 "worthwhile" LBs in this draft: Kendricks, McKinney, Perryman, and Anthony. Kendricks and McKinney have a chance to go round 1 because of need alone. After that you have Perryman and Anthony left. You've gotta get Anthony as soon as you can, that's why you over draft him.

Rather go

1.Eddie Goldman

2.Duke Johnson (if we really are going to draft a rb in the early rounds)

3.Cody Prewitt

4.Jamil Douglas......I was a bit disappointed in his 40, I thought he would have ran much closer to 5 flat

The rest of the draft Im good with.......Though a pass rusher is really needed and I would probably take Jeff Luc over Mbu if there in the 6th