Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some more weight numbers.

Malcolm Brown is a little short at 6'2", at least for a DT or 3-4 NT/DE. You'd really like him to be like 6'4" or bigger

Not really. If you can get one shorter with long arms, that seems to be ideal. Better natural leverage. Aaron Donald is a perfect example of a DT on the short side and is a monster because he can stay so low.

Not really. If you can get one shorter with long arms, that seems to be ideal. Better natural leverage. Aaron Donald is a perfect example of a DT on the short side and is a monster because he can stay so low.

I guess it works in a 4-3. In a 3-4 though you want your guys a little bigger.

I don't know what that entails. It's just what I read. I guess that means from the end of the season onwards.

I'm only asking to try and get a timeline.....

When was Gregory 218?    That seems almost impossible to me.   And so I was trying to figure out how long it took him to go from 218 to 235 which is what I guess he weighed today.

Frankly,  I'm not impressed that he came in at 235.   He's been saying he's the best player in the draft,  and much of what I read has NFL types wanting him bigger...    a lot bigger than 235...

Doesn't surprise me that a high movement guy like Gregory would drop 20 pounds over the course of the season. It's more impressive that he was able to gain it back in a month and a half, IMO. 

It's a little odd to me because there people saying he needed to add more weight on his frame.  They were saying he was kind of light for a guy 6'5" to 6'6".  Now he's really light.

It's a little odd to me because there people saying he needed to add more weight on his frame.  They were saying he was kind of light for a guy 6'5" to 6'6".  Now he's really light.

Barkevious Mingo.

Thing is, a lot of college guys don't have great diets, and football is anaerobic exertion, so it's even harder to keep weight on between practices, games, etc. It will probably take him a couple years to really put on some enduring muscle mass. This might take him off the early boards for some 4-3 teams.

Barkevious Mingo.

Thing is, a lot of college guys don't have great diets, and football is anaerobic exertion, so it's even harder to keep weight on between practices, games, etc. It will probably take him a couple years to really put on some enduring muscle mass. This might take him off the early boards for some 4-3 teams.

Gregory to me is more inclined to playing as a stand up linebacker in a 3-4.  I was reading over an article from NFL.com or somewhere else and it was clear to me that was his preference as opposed to a 4-3.  However he did say if a 4-3 team came calling he would be ready.

He definitely needs to add bulk. He is a DE, and played in a 4/3 at Nebraska. There is no way he can play DE at 235, it is simply too light. Now everyone is going to start looking at other drills (i.e. cone drills) to see what his drop back potential is since he has never played in coverage. It could be a concern for a guy projected top ten.

If he did say he wants to play in a 3/4, then he better make sure he has coverage skills, otherwise he will not be a 3 down player. If not a 3 down player, I would not draft in top ten! I guess the coach could use him in a hybrid system. It will be interesting, because all I read had him pegged as a 4/3 guy.

I guess it works in a 4-3. In a 3-4 though you want your guys a little bigger.

Weight and strength yes, but shorter still helps them with leverage. Poe and Wilfork are two of the best NT in the game and they are both 6'2". Rarely are there DTs bigger than 6'4". It's usually DEs who are taller with more length.