Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. Hilton Rehires Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

indyagent17

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't pay a WR top $$ and be a a good running team.

Whew.

Someone should tell the Steelers, Packers, Vikings, Texans, Redskins (who have 2!!), and Bears this. They'll be shocked to hear.

Lol you know what all those teams have in common? You guessed it. Zero chips, in how many years now since the Steelers last won? And they didn't have a top flight WR then either. They won with Santonio Holmes.

Yes, he is.

No, he's not a "product" of Andrew Luck, but yes, he benefits from playing with him. Luck benefits from playing with TY, also. That's the symbiotic nature of the QB/WR relationship.

Not to be short, but you can forget the qualifier. The answer is we should pay him because he's a really good player.

Entirely irrelevant.

You should really come off this angle. This is not about being a Hilton homer. He's a really good player, plain and simple. That doesn't mean he's the best receiver of all time, ever, and it doesn't mean he's going into the Hall of Fame.

And overall, paying Hilton doesn't mean that we can't improve the run game and the defense. I said earlier, this is not a zero-sum, either/or proposition. We can do both.

And you should really come off that angle. That's he's "a really good player" first off he's not the only really good player in the league...we could find another really good player that won't put up flashy regular season numbers but will be able to make a play on defense. Something we don't have have. Couple years from now yall will be complaining again about why we never built our defense up like the Ravens or the monsters that we were promised...maybe if we'd stop throwing $$ at RBs and WRs we could find some real defensive playmakers. And yes that money does hinder what we can do on defense. That 10 mil that he's gonna want could get us a stud in the trenches on defense. So then instead of having to improvise with our defense..we could improvise with our WRs. Didn't you guys see enough with the Peyton Era??

You can't pay a WR top $$ and be a a good running team.

Whew.

Someone should tell the Steelers, Packers, Vikings, Texans, Redskins (who have 2!!), and Bears this. They'll be shocked to hear.

And when the Packers won their chip they had no stud WR..they had a defense. Soooo what's your point man? The Vikings suck, the bears are awful, the Texans Are awful, and the redskins are worse than all of them.

And you should really come off that angle. That's he's "a really good player" first off he's not the only really good player in the league...we could find another really good player that won't put up flashy regular season numbers but will be able to make a play on defense. Something we don't have have. Couple years from now yall will be complaining again about why we never built our defense up like the Ravens or the monsters that we were promised...maybe if we'd stop throwing $$ at RBs and WRs we could find some real defensive playmakers. And yes that money does hinder what we can do on defense. That 10 mil that he's gonna want could get us a stud in the trenches on defense. So then instead of having to improvise with our defense..we could improvise with our WRs. Didn't you guys see enough with the Peyton Era??

You seem to be heck bent on not paying T.Y., not sure if this will convince you. But I will say it for what it is worth.

Patriots have paid Gronkowski (even on the hook for Aaron Hernandez) because they know their big TE (despite his health issues) make their offense tick. Same with Steelers and Antonio Brown. All got paid for what they bring to the offense, as a sum total, not just their solo contributions. Why did the Patriots not say "we are not paying Gronk because we don't pay guys on offense"? It is not black and white like that (because our O did not win it in the Peyton era or whatever your reasons are).

Outside Luck, T.Y. is the most important player on our offense. However, one can be smart against the cap like the Patriots to go get guys like Revis, Browner etc. We did pay Vontae Davis, Toler is playing well enough when healthy for his contract too. We did pay Arthur Jones. We did pay DQwell Jackson. It is not what we pay, it is who we pay that is more important. With Vontae, we are paying for quality, same with T.Y.

I agree that outside one receiving threat, if you pay 2 or 3 of them big money, that is foolish. Patriots let Edelman hit the market, he came back to them at a reasonable price and performed at a high level. For the Colts, we need to prioritize. Luck is a no brainer, the next most important person on offense that makes a lot of routes work, over the top and underneath is T.Y., so you pay him at fair market value and work the cap so that his cap hit along with Luck's cap hit is manageable. But if you have to pay Fleener or Allen and make hard decisions, we let one of them hit the market, which may be the right choice. But paying T.Y. will be the right choice, IMO.

And when the Packers won their chip they had no stud WR..they had a defense. Soooo what's your point man? The Vikings suck, the bears are awful, the Texans Are awful, and the redskins are worse than all of them.

You keep changin your point. First it was "you can't be a good running team with a high-priced WR" now it's "you can't win the Super Bowl with a high-priced WR" both of which are patently false.

You seem to be heck bent on not paying T.Y., not sure if this will convince you. But I will say it for what it is worth.

Patriots have paid Gronkowski (even on the hook for Aaron Hernandez) because they know their big TE (despite his health issues) make their offense tick. Same with Steelers and Antonio Brown. All got paid for what they bring to the offense, as a sum total, not just their solo contributions. Why did the Patriots not say "we are not paying Gronk because we don't pay guys on offense"? It is not black and white like that (because our O did not win it in the Peyton era or whatever your reasons are).

Outside Luck, T.Y. is the most important player on our offense. However, one can be smart against the cap like the Patriots to go get guys like Revis, Browner etc. We did pay Vontae Davis, Toler is playing well enough when healthy for his contract too. We did pay Arthur Jones. We did pay DQwell Jackson. It is not what we pay, it is who we pay that is more important. With Vontae, we are paying for quality, same with T.Y.

I agree that outside one receiving threat, if you pay 2 or 3 of them big money, that is foolish. Patriots let Edelman hit the market, he came back to them at a reasonable price and performed at a high level. For the Colts, we need to prioritize. Luck is a no brainer, the next most important person on offense that makes a lot of routes work, over the top and underneath is T.Y., so you pay him at fair market value and work the cap so that his cap hit along with Luck's cap hit is manageable. But if you have to pay Fleener or Allen and make hard decisions, we let one of them hit the market, which may be the right choice. But paying T.Y. will be the right choice, IMO.

Wait...did you just compare Gronk to TY? Lol. I would sign Gronk for as much as he wanted to be my main pass catcher all day long. Gronk is 6'5" of man and built like a train. Just ask Sergio. He is also a Touchdown machine and can beat man coverage, doubles, jump balls, he can run block. He is the total package. TY isnt. I get your whole you wanna pay for quality argument. But the Colts can find much more important positions to fill in with top quality players. We hired a defensive minded coach, it's about time we start making our selves known as a smashmouth defensive team. I'm tired of getting ran over. WRs come and go.

You keep changin your point. First it was "you can't be a good running team with a high-priced WR" now it's "you can't win the Super Bowl with a high-priced WR" both of which are patently false.

Nope. You just keep putting words in my mouth, you gotta cut that habit. I said you don't need a stud WR to win a superbowl..you just DONT. And I said it hinders our plans of being a power run football team plus having a strong defense that won't give up 200 yards rushing to one team in the playoffs when we're paying large coin to a finesse WR.

So much intelligence in this post, yet sadly, it's completely lost on some (or just one).

Still, co-signed.

I don't blame him one bit for wanting to get paid, but there is a fine line between accepting a good salary and cashing in on what you're worth.  Personally if you try to get as much money as you deserve, that individual player isn't looking at the teams best interest!

Let me put you in a scenario with made up numbers just to illustrate a point.

Your boss walks up to you and says "Now, we know you should be paid a $100,000 salary because of your expertise, knowledge and skills but in the interest of our company budget can you please take a pay-cut and work for $70,000 instead? Oh and by the way, we know there are 31 other companies that would easily pay you the $100,000, if not more, but we really like you so please stay for less....".

My immediate response to that situation would be flipping them the bird whilst making my way to the highest bidder... Why should TY do any different if the Colts wont pay him?

Let me put you in a scenario with made up numbers just to illustrate a point.

Your boss walks up to you and says "Now, we know you should be paid a $100,000 salary because of your expertise, knowledge and skills but in the interest of our company budget can you please take a pay-cut and work for $70,000 instead? Oh and by the way, we know there are 31 other companies that would easily pay you the $100,000, if not more, but we really like you so please stay for less....".

My immediate response to that situation would be flipping them the bird whilst making my way to the highest bidder... Why should TY do any different if the Colts wont pay him?

I'm in agreement, here.  You can't ask a player to play for less then what they are worth in the interests of being a "team player" that's silly.

My answer would be that the most important team to me is at home and I have to do what's best for them first.