Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBS/98.5 Sources: Under-inflated balls OK'd by refs pregame

GoPats

I have read the article 3 times.  Nowhere in the article do I read that gauges were not used to check the footballs, unless I missed that somewhere.   What I read is that everything was done properly.

Here are Blandino's Words:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/30/blandino/mgk8vEnZFQEfLueyfjwAnM/story.html

“The issue came up during the first half, as far as I know,” Blandino said at a news conference. “There was an issue that was brought up during the first half, a football came into question, and then the decision was made to test them at halftime. There’s an investigation going on, can’t really get into specifics.”

Blandino said that referee Walt Anderson did everything properly in regard to testing the footballs before the game on Jan. 18. Each team provided 24 footballs to Anderson 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game, and Anderson personally tested each one and marked them approved for use, Blandino said.

“From everything that we reviewed and all the information that we have, the balls were properly tested and marked prior to the game,” Blandino said. “We’ve done our part, in terms of looking at what Walt Anderson and the crew did and how things were handled, and they were handled properly from that perspective. Everything that comes out of that will be made public.”

However, Blandino confirmed the results of each ball test were not “logged,” and the NFL is essentially forced to take Anderson at his word. The NFL’s competition committee will discuss at the owners meetings in March whether the officials should log the results of each ball test, or if video should be used in the testing process.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again - the league has been thoroughly embarrassed by this witch hunt and I fully expect they will invoke the phony "low burden of proof" standard to slap a penalty on the Pats to save face despite having no proof that the Patriots tampered with the balls. We also know that they can't tell us exactly how much the balls supposedly deflated as there is no beginning reading...for either team...which makes the claim that the Colts balls didn't experience any drop 100% unverifiable. This story was weak to begin with, and it'w weaker now. Nice try though.

True, but that wasn't the report.  The report was 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were up to 2 psi (later heard unsubstantiated reports revising that "closer to 1") below the minimum, while none of the Colts balls were below the minimum psi required.  The minimum is allowed 12.5 psi.  The maximum is 13.5 psi.  So how much they deflated would be determined whether they were initially at 12.5, 13, or 13.5 psi.  But that doesn't matter.  It is how much under minimum allowed that is the issue.  Now was it intentional tampering, or caused by other non tampering events and circumstances?  That is what Ted Wells team is looking into.

Again, Blandino confirmed yesterday that there was no gauge test. He called it the "grip" test .

The PSI claim is DOA.

Nice try.

http://www.wcvb.com/sports/nfl-referees-inspected-footballs-properly-in-afc-title-game/30998014

"My major concern is did we follow proper protocol?" Blandino said. "Everything was properly tested and marked before the game. (Referee) Walt (Anderson) gauged the footballs himself; it is something he has done throughout his career."

Facts only, please. Just because the starting PSI was not written down (why should it be? the ref checks to see if they are acceptable and move on) doesn't change the fact they were all two psi below the minimum with no change to Indianapolis footballs after the officials properly tested them.

my guess is that no gauge was used pre-game. That reeks of the refs covering their butt. We already know that it's common for the refs to eyeball and feel the balls pre-game. So I'll bet this was a half-assed check before the game and these balls went into play under-inflated, the same way some of Aaron Rogers balls got into play over the maximum. There are also a number of reports contradicting Mortensen's original report that all the balls tested at 2 lbs below minimum and that instead all but one of the balls were within 1 lb of the minimum. That's a huge difference, and the fact that the NFL hasn't leaked the exact measurements tells me that those measurements don't support the story they've been trying to float.

See my above post please.

True, but that wasn't the report.  The report was 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were up to 2 psi (later heard unsubstantiated reports revising that "closer to 1") below the minimum, while none of the Colts balls were below the minimum psi required.  The minimum is allowed 12.5 psi.  The maximum is 13.5 psi.  So how much they deflated would be determined whether they were initially at 12.5, 13, or 13.5 psi.  But that doesn't matter.  It is how much under minimum allowed that is the issue.  Now was it intentional tampering, or caused by other non tampering events and circumstances?  That is what Ted Wells team is looking into.

So to this, I'd say first of all that nobody is sticking with the "2lbs below" report and 1lb seems to now be the consensus. The reason the lack of logged results is important is that we can no longer say anything definitive about the Colts balls other than that they were in spec pre-game and at the half. If they were inflated on the high end pre-game, those balls could have dropped a pound and still been in spec, whereas that same 1lb drop for the Pats balls puts them under. We've got many many scientists now saying that a 1lb pressure drop in those conditions for balls that were inflated indoors is completely probable and likely. The lack of recorded measurements no longer allows doubters to say "if the elements reduced the pressure, then how come the Colts balls didn't deflate?"..the answer is, they might have.

So to this, I'd say first of all that nobody is sticking with the "2lbs below" report and 1lb seems to now be the consensus. The reason the lack of logged results is important is that we can no longer say anything definitive about the Colts balls other than that they were in spec pre-game and at the half. If they were inflated on the high end pre-game, those balls could have dropped a pound and still been in spec, whereas that same 1lb drop for the Pats balls puts them under. We've got many many scientists now saying that a 1lb pressure drop in those conditions for balls that were inflated indoors is completely probable and likely. The lack of recorded measurements no longer allows doubters to say "if the elements reduced the pressure, then how come the Colts balls didn't deflate?"..the answer is, they might have.

Please tell me who says 1lb is the consensus? How does the 2 lbs that were reported at first somehow split in half on every single ball?

Blandino stated yesterday in the press conference that the balls weren't checked with gauges .

So... Yeah. Great job , NFL.

Can you not read or do you just blatantly lie?

http://nesn.com/2015/01/dean-blandino-deflategate-wasnt-a-sting-psi-in-footballs-werent-logged/

“'We did review what happened pregame, and from everything that we reviewed and all the information we had, the balls were properly tested prior to the game,' Blandino responded during the news conference"

Here's another one where he names the ref who gauges them.

http://m.wcvb.com/sports/nfl-referees-inspected-footballs-properly-in-afc-title-game/30998014

Cue the "where's the proof?" response.

Nowhere is it stated that Walt Anderson used a tool to measure the PSI.

Nowhere.

The word "gauge" is a verb . When I gauge a basketball, i squeeze it to see if it has enough air.

Nowhere did Blandino state that an air pressure gauge measured the ball.

Squeezing a ball = gauging a ball. Fact.

Can you not read or do you just blatantly lie?

http://nesn.com/2015/01/dean-blandino-deflategate-wasnt-a-sting-psi-in-footballs-werent-logged/

“'We did review what happened pregame, and from everything that we reviewed and all the information we had, the balls were properly tested prior to the game,' Blandino responded during the news conference"

Here's another one where he names the ref who gauges them.

Cue the "where's the proof?" response.

We just provided two Boston based articles so now they are going to say it can't be trusted since it's a Boston article like the Toucher and Rich article (But he's a Jets fan so that means we can believe the article)

Nowhere.

The word "gauge" is a verb . When I gauge a basketball, i squeeze it to see if it has enough air.

oh dear god. What is your malfunction? It doesnt say he squeezed them either you nincompoop.

Nowhere.

So according to you, Walt Anderson never has used a tool to measure PSI. This also means using a tool to measure PSI is not the correct protocol, only "squeezing" is correct, according to you. Walt Anderson has kept his job as a referee by squeezing the ball before every game and not actually using a tool to measure the psi all these years because that would not be the correct protocol, according to you.

"My major concern is did we follow proper protocol?" Blandino said. "Everything was properly tested and marked before the game. (Referee) Walt (Anderson) gauged the footballs himself; it is something he has done throughout his career."

Again, according to you, the referees are admitting here that they only squeezed the footballs to test them (which would still feel very different from Colt footballs), but that they never use tools but only squeeze the footballs, according to you.

Edit: Next time your mechanic tells you they gauged your tires to check the pressure, I hope you don't pay full price.

Please tell me who says 1lb is the consensus? How does the 2 lbs that were reported at first somehow split in half on every single ball?

Most of the reports that have come out since the first 48 hours of this story breaking (you know...that period where most of what was initially thrown out there has already been changed) have said that they were closer to -1 PSI than -2 PSI. 

If that's the case, then it makes a big difference since losing 1 PSI by halftime when the ball started at the maximum allowance would keep it within allowable tolerances (Colts balls), while losing 1 PSI by halftime when the ball started at the minimum allowance would make it below allowable tolerances (Patriots balls).

Most of the reports that have come out since the first 48 hours of this story breaking (you know...that period where most of what was initially thrown out there has already been changed) have said that they were closer to -1 PSI than -2 PSI. 

If that's the case, then it makes a big difference since losing 1 PSI by halftime when the ball started at the maximum allowance would keep it within allowable tolerances (Colts balls), while losing 1 PSI by halftime when the ball started at the minimum allowance would make it below allowable tolerances (Patriots balls).

Link, please.

Nowhere.

With all due respect,  no where does it state that an air pressure gauge wasn't used.       So now what?

Nowhere.

So how come the league determined 11-12 of NE's balls were underflated and 0-12 of the Colts balls were  underflated?  There just assuming?  Is that what you are saying?  I find this hard to believe especially because Tommy's already said he likes them underflated.

Link, please.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/

As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/

As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.

so you got conflicting sources. Ain't no big surprise. Let's cut it down the middle, 1.5 PSI below.

So how come the league determined 11-12 of NE's balls were underflated and 0-12 of the Colts balls were  underflated?  There just assuming?  Is that what you are saying?  I find this hard to believe especially because Tommy's already said he likes them underflated.

Let's try this again. There is an allowable tolerance for each football...it must be between 12.5 and 13.5.

If the Patriots footballs started out at 12.5, which is legal, but then dropped -1 during the first half due to the conditions, they would be at 11.5, which is out of the allowable range.

If the Colts footballs started out at 13.5, which is legal, but then dropped that same -1 during the first half due to the conditions, they would be at 12.5, which is within the allowable range.

In other words, the Colts balls wouldnt have been 'underinflated', but the Patriots balls would have been, even though the may have dropped the same due to the conditions. 

So we are at an argument ad ignorantiam.

Blandino did not say that the balls were tested with a tool.

We gauge things all the time by feel.

haha  are you calling me ignorant,  or yourself,  or both..???   

I Don't really want to argue, just pointing out the fact that he never said one way or the other.  So I guess we're all entitled to read into it what we choose.   :dunno:   

Facts will come out soon enough, then we will no longer have to assume, and for that I am thankful, because you know what they say about assume...???  ;)

So the protocol is to "feel" the balls, according to you? Wouldn't something be weird if 11 of one team's balls felt a lot different than 12 of the other teams?

lol I guess you skipped the part where he said "properly tested." I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I doubt the game ops manual or rulebook would say anything about "gauging" the PSI with the Ole look and feel test. But don't let logic get in the way.

That's still one ball used on a would be touchdown drive severely underinflated, I get your math saying since there was no log taken at first that Colts could have started at maximum and Patriots at minimum, meaning Colt balls could drop a full psi and still be at the minimum, but NE dropped 1 psi on 10 balls and 2 on 1 ball and none on another. My question would then be since there are bad weather and cold weather games played every year, how has this never been an issue before? Also, the weather wasn't that bad, just wet. Balls don't deflate that quickly in that situation despite the science projects BB convinced you he did instead of prepping for the game last week.

They probably never have checked them with a gauge before any game..as a matter of procedure...which is why BelliKraft cheated this way. They know NFL procedures, and figured there would be no way they would get caught.

Same thing with the conceal-a-receiver scheme against the Ravens. They know that the NFL officials don't take enough time to properly announce to everyone who is abnormally eligible when it needs to be done.

Same thing when Willie McGinest fakes an injury to stop the clock and get a breather. NFL procedure is not to question the player too much at the time.

Its all about understanding how the officials go about enforcing the rules...and taking advantage of the weaknesses in law enforcement. Just like a bank robber who cases the joint for a few days to know where the cameras and security guards usually are.

I can't believe that Kraft, BB, and Brady are even allowed to be in the NFL.

Except is is protocol for refs to check every game ball at every game with a pressure gauge.  It is written and protocol-

Game_Ball_rules_zpsxxdwmvop.png

They likely knew that they didn't log starting pressures, but each ref at every game is to make sure that every ball brought in for game use is between 12.5 and 13.5 psi.  If it is not, add or remove air until it is in compliance.  Every ref crew does it, and usually the job goes to the Jr. member of the crew as a rite of passage.  But post season games are manned by all veteran crews (all-star groups) and the job goes to a veteran official that is at the game as an alternate.

This is a requirement, not a recommendation, and not doing it would be severely punishable by the league.

That's still one ball used on a would be touchdown drive severely underinflated, I get your math saying since there was no log taken at first that Colts could have started at maximum and Patriots at minimum, meaning Colt balls could drop a full psi and still be at the minimum, but NE dropped 1 psi on 10 balls and 2 on 1 ball and none on another. My question would then be since there are bad weather and cold weather games played every year, how has this never been an issue before? Also, the weather wasn't that bad, just wet. Balls don't deflate that quickly in that situation despite the science projects BB convinced you he did instead of prepping for the game last week.

And "coincidentally", that was the ball that the Colts had possession of for the half.

Again, Blandino confirmed yesterday that there was no gauge test. He called it the "grip" test .

The PSI claim is DOA.

This is outright trolling and inciting.  You have no proof and proof to show your statement is a lie is readily available.  Stop posting Disinformation or back your outlandish statements with proof.  Your credibility is 0.01 about now.

Nowhere.

An estimate.  Verb...the tool...noun...  One thing this guy has been correct on...a definition :) ^^^^

gauge
ɡāj/
noun

1. 1.
    an instrument or device for measuring the magnitude, amount, or contents of something, typically with a visual display of such information.
    synonyms: measuring device, measuring instrument, metermeasureMore

•  
    •  

2. 2.
    the thickness, size, or capacity of something, especially as a standard measure, in particular.
    synonyms: sizediameterthicknesswidthbreadthMore

•  

•  

•  

•  

verb

1. 1.
    estimate or determine the magnitude, amount, or volume of.
    "astronomers can gauge the star's intrinsic brightness"
    synonyms: measurecalculatecompute, work out, determineascertainMore

•  

2. 2.
    measure the dimensions of (an object) with a gauge.
    "when dry, the assemblies can be gauged exactly and planed to width"

haha are you calling me ignorant, or yourself, or both..???

I Don't really want to argue, just pointing out the fact that he never said one way or the other. So I guess we're all entitled to read into it what we choose. :dunno:

Facts will come out soon enough, then we will no longer have to assume, and for that I am thankful, because you know what they say about assume...??? ;)

No, Gramz, I think you are truly a good person.

An argument ad ignorantiam is when someone makes a claim that can't be proven , but they claim it to be true.

No the issue is- 

Pats balls tested were out of compliance

Colts balls tested were within compliance

Why?

Bob Kravitz is calling Deflategate over and done with, and that the Patriots will be exonerated.

Dennis and Callahan ‏@DandCShow 16m16 minutes ago .@bobkravitz tells the show that it looks like the Patriots will be exonerated in deflate-gate.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz 13h13 hours ago

Interesting. Hurts the league's case, it seems to me: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/nfl-didnt-log-the-psi-of-each-patriots-football/

PatriotsSB49 ‏@PatriotsSB49 15m15 minutes ago

Interesting. Bob Kravitz just said he believes Tom Brady's good name will be restored "in about 35 seconds."

Bruce Allen ‏@bruceallen 5m5 minutes ago

So what @bkravitz called yesterday the biggest story of his 32 year career, he now calls a bunch of hot air and Patriots will be exonerated.

No, Gramz, I think you are truly a good person.

An argument ad ignorantiam is when someone makes a claim that can't be proven , but they claim it to be true.

Well, thank you for the first part.

As for the second,  there's been a LOT of that going on all across Social Media,  TV Media,  Media Publications, and the list goes on.

No the issue is- 

Pats balls tested were out of compliance

Colts balls tested were within compliance

Why?

obviously, the weather conditions. That can't be ruled out now. Scientists say it's likely, and the argument that the Colts balls didn't change is out the window now with no logged results.

An estimate.  Verb...the tool...noun...  One thing this guy has been correct on...a definition :) ^^^^

gauge
ɡāj/
noun

1. 1.
    an instrument or device for measuring the magnitude, amount, or contents of something, typically with a visual display of such information.
    synonyms: measuring device, measuring instrument, metermeasureMore

•  
    •  

2. 2.
    the thickness, size, or capacity of something, especially as a standard measure, in particular.
    synonyms: sizediameterthicknesswidthbreadthMore

•  

•  

•  

•  

verb

1. 1.
    estimate or determine the magnitude, amount, or volume of.
    "astronomers can gauge the star's intrinsic brightness"
    synonyms: measurecalculatecompute, work out, determineascertainMore

•  

2. 2.
    measure the dimensions of (an object) with a gauge.
    "when dry, the assemblies can be gauged exactly and planed to width"

Except in the NFL rules, the word pressure is in front of gauge.  ;-)  I've posted it twice!