Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBS/98.5 Sources: Under-inflated balls OK'd by refs pregame

GoPats

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Kravitz is calling Deflategate over and done with, and that the Patriots will be exonerated.

Dennis and Callahan ‏@DandCShow 16m16 minutes ago .@bobkravitz tells the show that it looks like the Patriots will be exonerated in deflate-gate.

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz 13h13 hours ago

Interesting. Hurts the league's case, it seems to me: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/nfl-didnt-log-the-psi-of-each-patriots-football/

But the court of public opinion says BB and TB are not only cheaters...they are liars. Thats what really counts.

PatriotsSB49 ‏@PatriotsSB49 15m15 minutes ago

Interesting. Bob Kravitz just said he believes Tom Brady's good name will be restored "in about 35 seconds."

Bruce Allen ‏@bruceallen 5m5 minutes ago

So what @bkravitz called yesterday the biggest story of his 32 year career, he now calls a bunch of hot air and Patriots will be exonerated.

Bob Kravitz is calling Deflategate over and done with, and that the Patriots will be exonerated.

Dennis and Callahan ‏@DandCShow 16m16 minutes ago .@bobkravitz tells the show that it looks like the Patriots will be exonerated in deflate-gate.

Interesting. Hurts the league's case, it seems to me: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/nfl-didnt-log-the-psi-of-each-patriots-football/

But the court of public opinion says BB and TB are both cheaters and liars. Thats what really counts.

Interesting. Bob Kravitz just said he believes Tom Brady's good name will be restored "in about 35 seconds."

So what @bkravitz called yesterday the biggest story of his 32 year career, he now calls a bunch of hot air and Patriots will be exonerated.

That's still one ball used on a would be touchdown drive severely underinflated, I get your math saying since there was no log taken at first that Colts could have started at maximum and Patriots at minimum, meaning Colt balls could drop a full psi and still be at the minimum, but NE dropped 1 psi on 10 balls and 2 on 1 ball and none on another. My question would then be since there are bad weather and cold weather games played every year, how has this never been an issue before? Also, the weather wasn't that bad, just wet. Balls don't deflate that quickly in that situation despite the science projects BB convinced you he did instead of prepping for the game last week.

That's a totally fair question...I guess this is one of those instances where we have to 'wait and see' what the investigation comes up with ;)

I'll wait for Ted Wells full detailed report (like the one he did for BullyGate), there is too much information, misinformation, disinformation, and lack of information "out there" to make a proper conclusion.  Wells and his team will have it all, and then can piece it together.  I'll abide by that, not what You, Kravitz, some Boston non native radio hosts, or any other talking head or blogger has to say on the subject.

In the interim, my attention is being drawn toward people riling up other members by posting outrageous and unsubstantiated claims without proof, especially those that are easily proven as being false.claims.  :wave:

I'll wait for Ted Wells full detailed report (like the one he did for BullyGate), there is too much information, misinformation, disinformation, and lack of information "out there" to make a proper conclusion. Wells and his team will have it all, and then can piece it together. I'll abide by that, not what You, Kravitz, some Boston non native radio hosts, or any other talking head or blogger has to say on the subject.

In the interim, my attention is being drawn toward people riling up other members by posting outrageous and unsubstantiated claims without proof, especially those that are easily proven as being false.claims. :wave:

So you're waiting for the facts , but you're claiming that the calls were checked with a gauge, even though that hasn't been proven .

Disjointed logic there.

So you're waiting for the facts , but you're claiming that the calls were checked with a gauge, even though that hasn't been proven .

Disjointed logic there.

The balls were proven to be checked with a guage, that is the protocol and protocol was met as Blandino said about Anderson before the game.

Disjointed logic there.

No, I'm claiming the league requires it (pressure gauge, not just a gauge and posted proof), and the VP of officiating says the protocol was followed (posted proof the league believes that).  I personally am not saying anything!  If you disagree, you are saying the NFL is lying.  But that's  not on me.

Look, I'm for people to post what they feel, or what they find reported, etc..  Even if I disagree with it.  It is a forum for discussion, all sides.  But when items get posted that are made up and easily proven false and rile up and provoke other members in the process, that's abuse of the privilege.  See the difference?

With that being out there and said, I'm not addressing the latter part publicly any further.

So we are at an argument ad ignorantiam.

Blandino did not say that the balls were tested with a tool.

We gauge things all the time by feel.

In the case of NFL footballs that are under regulation by NFL rules....would you agree that the process is flimsy and lacks adequate controls?

IMO....there is far too much, shall we say "wiggle room" in this process for a league already taking fire to its credibility on so many levels.

To sum it up.....if the NFL competition committee, who I'm beginning to believe is largely a room full of whining :cuss: 's who campaign for their own team's advantages....decides there is no competitive advantage to the PSI in a football, then do away with the damn rule altogether.

But if it IS a rule....which it is, and it remains a rule.....then for :cuss: 's sakes put a solid process in place that is beyond question so this kind of horse :cuss:  doesn't happen any longer.

Whether this truly falls on the incompetence of a referee (gee, what a surprise!) or a Patriots ball boy....and it coulda been any team....shame on the referee for doing a lousy or incomplete job and/or shame on the $10B NFL for allowing the opportunity for tampering.

We'll see what Wells comes up with.

But I'm sticking to my initial response to the matter when it arose....

I'm seeing less and less distinction by the day between Roger Goodell and Vince McMahon, and this so-called entertainment they sell. And if we can't trust what we see on an NFL field...for whatever reason and regardless of who's to blame....then we've probably been fools for buying it.

That has not been stated. Sorry. They were "gauged." That can be done by hand. It's unclear at best.

Click on these and read please-

Game_Ball_rules_zpsxxdwmvop.png

note within the statement: "... available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee ..."

Then-

"We did review what happened pregame, and from everything that we reviewed and all the information we had, the balls were properly tested prior to the game," Blandino said."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/29/deflategate-nfl-psi-footballs-dean-blandino

This is dispelling your claim with backing proof.  You are calling the NFL liars.  That's your prerogative.

In the case of NFL footballs that are under regulation by NFL rules....would you agree that the process is flimsy and lacks adequate controls?

IMO....there is far too much, shall we say "wiggle room" in this process for a league already taking fire to its credibility on so many levels.

To sum it up.....if the NFL competition committee, who I'm beginning to believe is largely a room full of whining :cuss: 's who campaign for their own team's advantages....decides there is no competitive advantage to the PSI in a football, then do away with the damn rule altogether.

But if it IS a rule....which it is, and it remains a rule.....then for :cuss: 's sakes put a solid process in place that is beyond question so this kind of horse :cuss:  doesn't happen any longer.

Whether this truly falls on the incompetence of a referee (gee, what a surprise!) or a Patriots ball boy....and it coulda been any team....shame on the referee for doing a lousy or incomplete job and/or shame on the $10B NFL for allowing the opportunity for tampering.

I'm seeing less and less distinction by the day between Roger Goodell and Vince McMahon, and this so-called entertainment they sell. And if we can't trust what we see on an NFL field...for whatever reason and regardless of who's to blame....then we've probably been fools for buying it.

The competition committees plate is full this off season.  They are going to amend/change the pregame rules on the game footballs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-30/nfl-to-consider-changes-to-game-ball-protocol-after-deflategate

Let's try this again. There is an allowable tolerance for each football...it must be between 12.5 and 13.5.

If the Patriots footballs started out at 12.5, which is legal, but then dropped -1 during the first half due to the conditions, they would be at 11.5, which is out of the allowable range.

If the Colts footballs started out at 13.5, which is legal, but then dropped that same -1 during the first half due to the conditions, they would be at 12.5, which is within the allowable range.

In other words, the Colts balls wouldnt have been 'underinflated', but the Patriots balls would have been, even though the may have dropped the same due to the conditions. 

I don't buy it.  If it was one or two maybe but 11? I just don't buy it especially with all the other stuff coming out.  For example Brady commenting about liking the football a little deflated and their ridiculous fumble stats since 2007.  It's very fishy to me.  I am sure the league will get to the bottom of it and the truth will come out.  If guilty I hope the proper punishment arises.

I don't buy it.  If it was one or two maybe but 11? I just don't buy it especially with all the other stuff coming out.  For example Brady commenting about liking the football a little deflated and their ridiculous fumble stats since 2007.  It's very fishy to me.  I am sure the league will get to the bottom of it and the truth will come out.  If guilty I hope the proper punishment arises.

Actually, the fact that it was 11 makes the explanation for it even MORE justified...if it was just one ball then it would be an isolated incident, which is even more questionable. Since it was nearly all the balls, all exposed to the same conditions, it makes perfect sense that they would all be affected the same way. 

As for the fumble stat, that's just circumstantial evidence and has no influence on this at all. 

Blandino also said Solders TD was Illegal.  The Pats doing something illegal? No that couldn't be!

http://nesn.com/2015/01/nate-solders-touchdown-in-afc-championship-game-was-illegal-says-nfl/

Dungy actually said this was illegal because Lafell was too far away, but then rescinded saying it was a judgment call. Although it would appear that when you declare yourself ineligible, you can't just switch back as easy which they did multiple times over the last couple games. So I suggest Brady should read the rule book (again) before telling the Ravens and Colts to do the same.

Actually, the fact that it was 11 makes the explanation for it even MORE justified...if it was just one ball then it would be an isolated incident, which is even more questionable. Since it was nearly all the balls, all exposed to the same conditions, it makes perfect sense that they would all be affected the same way. 

As for the fumble stat, that's just circumstantial evidence and has no influence on this at all. 

If it was 1 or 2 balls that would not be abnormal so it doesn't make it more justified. An isolated incident aka one or 2 balls would be removed and no one would be debating this right now. The fumble stats are the reason Wells is digging back to see how far back this may go rather than just focusing on one game.

One of the posters referred to PFTs account of Dean Blandinos statements. The writer uses the phase in other words to tell the readers how he interpreted those comments. What Blandino said is this:

1. The psi readings were not written in a detailed log. They never are, for any game, so Walt Anderson's crew did not break protocol by failing to produce a written log.

2. NFL referees are not expected or required to know the difference between a legal and illegal ball simply by touching or squeezing the football. This is why gauging the football pre game is so important.

Either way a written log, or lack of one, doesn't prove anything. If the referee can lie about properly gauging the ball...then that same referee could easily fabricate a written log that suggests a proper test was done.

At this point it's Walt's word against the word of the patriots.

If I am the investigator I assume 2 things:

1. The video shown by mmqb shows a typical pressure check done by referees. There is nothing unusual about this pressure check, and if Walt's crew followed protocol it would have looked the same way.

2. Customization of the football is important to the quarterback. No team is going to submit a mixed batch to the officials. The texture of all the football's will be nearly identical, same with the pressure inside the football's. Uniformity is what's important here.

So I would ask Walt's crew to mentally recollect information regarding both teams submitted football's. Were they on the low end of what's allowed? The high end? Was any air put in or taken out? If the test was properly conducted in front of Ten or eleven officials, then some one would remember basic details even if they aren't exact readings. If Walt's crew don't remember ANY of the details, then you end the investigation. But I have a hard time believing that a crew of a dozen all star officials are going to sit there and watch Walt perform just a squeeze test and be okay with that...knowing that their reputations could potentially be on the line.

The fumble stat is badly massaged data. Before the graphs were produced, they removed all dome teams. Thats a flawed assumption. They should of removed all dome games, not teams. 

We'll see what happens.  The league will get to the bottom of it and the truth will come out.  All Pats fans are going to defend it and all non pats fans are going to think they cheated again.  I am sure you had an excuse or defended spygate as well.  We both have our own opinions and the truth will eventually come out.  It's just a matter of time.

But if it IS a rule....which it is, and it remains a rule.....then for :cuss: 's sakes put a solid process in place that is beyond question so this kind of horse :cuss: doesn't happen any longer.

Yes, I honestly think that the refs squeeze the balls, say "Feel about right", and move on to the game.

But Blue is right, there is a method; I just don't think that it's been followed. Just like driving : virtually no one follows every rule of the road.

Dungy actually said this was illegal because Lafell was too far away, but then rescinded saying it was a judgment call. Although it would appear that when you declare yourself ineligible, you can't just switch back as easy which they did multiple times over the last couple games. So I suggest Brady should read the rule book (again) before telling the Ravens and Colts to do the same.

Blandino  says it was illegal and Solder's TD should have been called back because Fleming went from eligible on previous play to ineligible on the Solder TD and did not sit out a play.  That's an infraction that the refs missed. And an alignment that confused the Colts D and allowed the TD. 

Pete Carroll did not miss it at all and called Blandino.  Because of that, the Refs will now use a brand new signal created just for the Super Bowl when Players are declared not only eligible, but ineligible.  and that way there can be no confusion to Refs and defenses when a players switches without reporting or sitting out a play.

There was an issue on that play where on the previous play, (Cameron) Fleming had reported as an eligible player,” Blandino told reporters in Arizona. “And on the Solder touchdown he went back to playing an ineligible position. That’s illegal. That’s an illegal substitution.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/01/nate-solders-touchdown-in-afc-championship-game-was-illegal-says-nfl/

Yes, I honestly think that the refs squeeze the balls, say "Feel about right", and move on to the game.

But Blue is right, there is a method; I just don't think that it's been followed. Just like driving : virtually no one follows every rule of the road.

See?  You have a right to feel the NFL is not being forthcoming on their procedure.  I just don't agree with that position.  :-)

Blandino  says it was illegal and Solder's TD should have been called back because Fleming went from eligible on previous play to ineligible on the Solder TD and did not sit out a play.  That's an infraction that the refs missed. And an alignment that confused the Colts D and allowed the TD. 

Pete Carroll did not miss it at all and called Blandino.  Because of that, the Refs will now use a brand new signal created just for the Super Bowl when Players are declared not only eligible, but ineligible.  and that way there can be no confusion to Refs and defenses when a players switches without reporting or sitting out a play.

There was an issue on that play where on the previous play, (Cameron) Fleming had reported as an eligible player,” Blandino told reporters in Arizona. “And on the Solder touchdown he went back to playing an ineligible position. That’s illegal. That’s an illegal substitution.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/01/nate-solders-touchdown-in-afc-championship-game-was-illegal-says-nfl/

You are totally correct. But I put that down to poor execution by the pats (and ultimately the refs), then a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules. BB would of been peeved if that was called back cause some player forgot to come off the field.

No, I'm claiming the league requires it (pressure gauge, not just a gauge and posted proof), and the VP of officiating says the protocol was followed (posted proof the league believes that).  I personally am not saying anything!  If you disagree, you are saying the NFL is lying.

It's hard to accept the possibility that the NFL lied. I mean, they were 100% straightforward with us about the fact that nobody in the league office had ever seen the Ray Rice tapes, so their track record is clean. :thmup:

You are totally correct. But I put that down to poor execution by the pats (and ultimately the refs), then a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules. BB would of been peeved if that was called back cause some player forgot to come off the field.

If Tom Brady is telling the Ravens to read the rule book but were screwing up their own eligibility substitutions you don't think BB didn't know that? He would take the 15 yard penalty if called but would continue to skirt the rules and run these plays until the refs or other coach noticed. This time it actually cost the Ravens 15 yards, how ridiculous is that?

You know how smart/devious BB is, he 100% knew this substitution was illegal but continued to run it knowing the refs weren't able to adjust on the fly and call it. The same way they didn't call it vs. Baltimore the week before.

If Tom Brady is telling the Ravens to read the rule book but were screwing up their own eligibility substitutions you don't think BB didn't know that? He would take the 15 yard penalty if called but would continue to skirt the rules and run these plays until the refs or other coach noticed. This time it actually cost the Ravens 15 yards, how ridiculous is that?

You know how smart/devious BB is, he 100% knew this substitution was illegal but continued to run it knowing the refs weren't able to adjust on the fly and call it. The same way they didn't call it vs. Baltimore the week before.

:lmao Illegal Procedure is now "skirting the rules"

: lmao Illegal Procedure is now "skirting the rules"

In this case that is correct, he knows what the illegal procedure is but knowingly decided the benefits outweighed the cost and several positive yardage plays including ones for touchdowns could be ran before the referees noticed and penalized them, and if they did notice at first then he would know he couldn't get away with it and would correctly substitute. It worked out great for him because the other team was penalized for complaining about it, and his team won a close game and scored a td off it the next game. Unfortunately for the Pats now they have to play against a better opponent without being able to break those rules or play with deflated balls.

It's hard to accept the possibility that the NFL lied. I mean, they were 100% straightforward with us about the fact that nobody in the league office had ever seen the Ray Rice tapes, so their track record is clean. :thmup:

And you indeed get to have that opinion.  Many others do, and also think the league is fixed and everything is just drama on a stage- and others with conspiracy theories.  I just call it entertainment with (what I hope) is as much integrity a testosterone /gladiator game can muster. 

And you indeed get to have that opinion.  Many others do, and also think the league is fixed and everything is just drama on a stage- and others with conspiracy theories.  I just call it entertainment with (what I hope) is as much integrity a testosterone /gladiator game can muster. 

Now we're watching the WWE :)

The competition committees plate is full this off season.  They are going to amend/change the pregame rules on the game footballs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-30/nfl-to-consider-changes-to-game-ball-protocol-after-deflategate

Better late than never I guess....and this is not a rant against you ColtsBlueFL....

But let's see....

1. Referee crew chief plus two league security reps collect the game balls from both team's equipment managers.

2. Referee crew chief gauges PSI...with a lab-calibrated/certified gauge....in front of two league security reps and each team equipment manager.

3. After ensuring proper inflation....security reps log the PSI measurements, after which the reps, referee crew chief and both team equipment managers sign off the log, with all receiving copies.

4. The ball bags....with a copy of the log inside....are sealed with the seal # 's documented by the security reps on the sign off log.

5. The game balls are delivered by the security reps to each equipment manager prior to kickoff, are unsealed by the league rep, signed over to the equipment manager and referee crew chief.....and remain under camera view the entire game.

6. The same parties repeat the same process at halftime.

So if all this ball inflation stuff is that important, then there....that took about 15 minutes to figure out.

And if it sounds like the league can't be trusted for either not having, or not making sure everyone comply with these kinds of controls and accountability....then that's too damn bad....I don't trust them.

If they decide ball inflation/PSI isn't that important....then fine, scrap the rule entirely.

Then the NFL can move on to fixing things like their decades-soft PED policies, brushing off-field crap under the rug, and God knows what moves the money in Vegas.

No pun intended....but I'm not holding my breath, and at my age the only PSI I should pay a whole lot of attention to is the one that tells me whether my prostate is screwed up or not.

:rantoff:

Really hard to figure out the league's motivation for lying when you have a serrate entity doing the investigation. Don't you think it would come out that they lied about that ? Your lucky Virdulant is all over this thread .. you might skate by with theory without too many people calling out how utterly ridiculous it would be for the NFL to say they tested with a gauge and intact they did it by squeezing the balls.

My lord in heaven....

Really hard to figure out the league's motivation for lying when you have a serrate entity doing the investigation. Don't you think it would come out that they lied about that ? Your lucky Virdulant is all over this thread .. you might skate by with theory without too many people calling out how utterly ridiculous it would be for the NFL to say they tested with a gauge and intact they did it by squeezing the balls.

Do you not find the statement "The balls were properly gauged" with no description of what exactly that means to be a very different statement than "Walt placed a gauge in every ball and noted the PSI level of each ball"? I do. Why is the league being obtuse about this? They obviously are willing to leak reports that incriminate the Patriots, so the vague comments can't have anything to do with a desire to not interfere with the game...that ship sailed. They seem to want people to know that they think the Patriots cheated, yet they won't, when pressed, offer anything substantive to back up that claim....and it's looking more and more like the reason for that is that they CAN'T offer anything definitive.