Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remember the name Jaquiski Tartt

Has anyone here ever watched a Samford game or has anyone watched this kid play?  It takes a lot for a small school player to catch the eye of scouts, I would like to hear other's opinion about him.  His scouting report makes me think a lot of Bethea.

Not sure he had quite the range as Bethea, Can be a sloppy tackler preferring to go for the big hit and I don't think he has good enough recovery speed once beat

Not sure he had quite the range as Bethea, Can be a sloppy tackler preferring to go for the big hit and I don't think he has good enough recovery speed once beat

Found some 2013 highlights of Tartt. Not amazing quality but it's to be expected from a small school guy. Pretty Impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2gUwjOdRjU

Based on the highlights and yes I know they are highlights, I can see the comment about the big hit but the comments abotu range and recovery speed seem to be unfounded.  His range seemed very good for a safety and his speed and how quickly he got up to that speed seemed just fine.

He seemed to read the play very well and I like how, in run support, he will fill the hole and then break down to make the tackle, it was only on the sidelines that he launched himself for the big hit.

Based on the highlights and yes I know they are highlights, I can see the comment about the big hit but the comments abotu range and recovery speed seem to be unfounded.  His range seemed very good for a safety and his speed and how quickly he got up to that speed seemed just fine.

He seemed to read the play very well and I like how, in run support, he will fill the hole and then break down to make the tackle, it was only on the sidelines that he launched himself for the big hit.

Yeah his pursuit is ridiculous. He might not be the fastest guy on the field, but his closing speed looks great. That means his run support skills are going to be top notch. And with all the positive stuff people are saying about him at the Senior bowl, he's really starting to grow on me.

Yeah his pursuit is ridiculous. He might not be the fastest guy on the field, but his closing speed looks great. That means his run support skills are going to be top notch. And with all the positive stuff people are saying about him at the Senior bowl, he's really starting to grow on me.

I know you kind of live and breathe draft stuff.  What are your thoughts on Perryman.  He sounds like a guy that could pair with A. Jackson very well at the ILB spot.  I hardly had time this year to watch the Colts, I saw next to no college ball.

Gavin feel free to weigh in as well.

I know you kind of live and breathe draft stuff.  What are your thoughts on Perryman.  He sounds like a guy that could pair with A. Jackson very well at the ILB spot.  I hardly had time this year to watch the Colts, I saw next to no college ball.

Gavin feel free to weigh in as well.

I think Perryman is extremely talented. Best word for him is Destroyer. Whatever he hits, he destroys. He might be the best tackler in the draft in terms of technique. He's not a guy who will ever whiff on a tackle. If Perryman is there, he will make the tackle 99% of the time. He also has outstanding instincts and can not only see, but sense where the ball is or is going. He can go sideline to sideline.

His biggest flaw is obviously his height. 5'10" officially at the Senior Bowl. He isn't a guy you can put in coverage on a TE and there will be questions as to whether he can shed blocks at the next level against bigger blockers. Honestly though, if he was 6'2", you'd be talking about him as the best ILB in the class. Most people like McKinney because of his ridiculous size and speed, but reports say he can't cover either. Perryman is a thumper in a 3-4 for sure. He's just not a coverage guy, but then again not many ILBs are these days.

I like Perryman and Kendricks, and they both might be better than McKinney.

I think Perryman is extremely talented. Best word for him is Destroyer. Whatever he hits, he destroys. He might be the best tackler in the draft in terms of technique. He's not a guy who will ever whiff on a tackle. If Perryman is there, he will make the tackle 99% of the time. He also has outstanding instincts and can not only see, but sense where the ball is or is going. He can go sideline to sideline.

His biggest flaw is obviously his height. 5'10" officially at the Senior Bowl. He isn't a guy you can put in coverage on a TE and there will be questions as to whether he can shed blocks at the next level against bigger blockers. Honestly though, if he was 6'2", you'd be talking about him as the best ILB in the class. Most people like McKinney because of his ridiculous size and speed, but reports say he can't cover either. Perryman is a thumper in a 3-4 for sure. He's just not a coverage guy, but then again not many ILBs are these days.

I just can't get on board with investing significant resources whether it be money or early draft picks into an ILB who can't cover; we need someone who can hold his own covering TEs.  If the DL were better, our ILBs would be more effective at getting to the runner. 

I just can't get on board with investing significant resources whether it be money or early draft picks into an ILB who can't cover; we need someone who can hold his own covering TEs.  If the DL were better, our ILBs would be more effective at getting to the runner. 

Yeah, that's why I like Kendricks for the Colts better. He can cover. And that's a rarity with LB's tbh. If you find a good ILB who can cover, you take em.

6'1" 218lb Safety from Samford (yes I spelled that correctly).

He's going to be talked about a lot in the new future, especially after the senior bowl (the only player from Samford to ever be invited to the Senior Bowl).  Here are some scouting reports.

Hey I saw a little bit of Tartt while watching the Senior Bowl.  He's actually a nice looking prospect.

I thought he was pretty solid in run support and seemed to be pretty athletic back there.  Has an

intimidating look to him as well.  I think he's certainly worth a look in whatever the round he's projected

to be drafted in.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6'1" 218lb Safety from Samford (yes I spelled that correctly).

He's going to be talked about a lot in the new future, especially after the senior bowl (the only player from Samford to ever be invited to the Senior Bowl). Here are some scouting reports.

yea I had him in my mock draft .. Solid player and he's flying up the draft boards

I just can't get on board with investing significant resources whether it be money or early draft picks into an ILB who can't cover; we need someone who can hold his own covering TEs. If the DL were better, our ILBs would be more effective at getting to the runner.

yea really I'm tired of undersized linebackers who get swallowed up by the o line there both short . What's the difference between freeman and those two guys ? McKinney would be a dream come true 6'5 250 pounds oh wait it gets better he's faster then both those guys and can out jump them and sheds blocks .. You tube him and watch how you destroys la'el Collins lsu tackle .. He's the best mlb in the draft and we won't draft him ...

I think Tartt is going to be the real deal.  I would be pretty happy if he's available in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds and the Colts decide to pull the trigger on him.  I think he'd make a good replacement for Landry as an in the box safety.  To be honest I do believe his skill set is good enough to play the FS as well.  The more I learn about this kid the more I like.

wasn't there also a short inside backer last year that nobody wanted because of his size?. But then the 49ers selected him and he turned into a beast for them. Chris Borland is the name if I remember right.