Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One thing that makes me feel good about New England

Trace Pyott

The way Denver tried to play us to me is almost Identical to the way Brady likes to play. He likes throw six to eight yard dink and dunk short yardage passes and I think today was a good test and way to get used to seeing that type of offense. I just hope we tackle as good as we did today. Well minus that awful 4th down.

Here is what gives me a lot of hope for New England....

1.) Our coaches are developing really good game plans recently, and you don't beat New England unless you have a good game plan. 

2.) Arthur Jones is healthy and back on the field, and Jerrell Freeman is healthy. Both have really made our run defense a lot better, which is how New England beat us.

3.) Luck is making smarter decisions, and the Boom Herron check down adjustment by the coaching staff and Luck is paying dividends right now.

4.) Offensive line is playing a lot better. Denver has a more talented front 7 than New England IMO, and we did a great job of not only not allowing Luck to get sacked, but giving him a clean pocket with no pressure at all!!

Make no mistake about it, we can beat New England the way we are playing now!

All three of the big name "elite" quarterbacks - Brady, Manning, and Brees. They all run the exact same offense of short passes, dink and donk, because their arms are gone.

No one will say that but it's true. Watch how bad Brady's accuracy is on deep balls. Brees is about the same in this category. I watched him all year long under throw and over throw passes that go beyond 20 yards. As we all know, Manning's arm and accuracy have declined steadily. There's a reason why I want my team to draft a rookie QB and start mentoring him on the bench, cause Brees isn't going to last forever, and neither are the other 2 golden boys. This is New England's best chance of getting ring #4 with Brady, cause that window is closing fast with his age. (Just watch when he has a god awful game and how quick people are to hype up the other model QB on that team. Deep down, Pats fans know Brady isn't going to last forever)

You forgot one thing though - the Pats don't have to play the short pass offense with you. They'll run it on the Colts. Guarantee it. That is the one weakness the Colts have against them.

Today, CJ Anderson was playing good too with 80 yards on 18 carries, and in typical classic Manning fashion, he gave up on the run to play hero. Just like in the SB when Addai was tearing the Saints up and he totally gave up on running it to throw that magical pick 6 to us.

If the Pats run it well on you, they're not going to give up on the run to let Brady throw it all day. They will run it down your throat.

Colts have to play a perfect game to win this. No turnovers like today, and they need to attack Brady and put him on the ground like the Ravens did. Baltimore did OK most of the day they were knocking him down until it stopped. Put Brady on the ground and don't give him time to throw those short passes to Gronk, and most of all - stop the run. They're going to run it on the Colts, believe it. If they can't stop the run, I don't know how well it will go in the Colts favor. One thing the Pats won't do that Manning did tonight and that's stop running it while it's working.

All three of the big name "elite" quarterbacks - Brady, Manning, and Brees. They all run the exact same offense of short passes, dink and donk, because their arms are gone.

Rodgers belongs on there and he might have the strongest arm in the league. There is no reason reading past your first sentence since it was so wrong.

I think we will be much better against the run this time around... It's Gronk that I worry about.

I think that Chuck and Manusky should use the same type of logic with the defense that was used against Denver: Take away the middle of the field.

Brady will be more accurate to the outside than #18, but they don't have tremendous receiver talent and we have good corners.

Here is what gives me a lot of hope for New England....

1.) Our coaches are developing really good game plans recently, and you don't beat New England unless you have a good game plan. 

2.) Arthur Jones is healthy and back on the field, and Jerrell Freeman is healthy. Both have really made our run defense a lot better, which is how New England beat us.

3.) Luck is making smarter decisions, and the Boom Herron check down adjustment by the coaching staff and Luck is paying dividends right now.

4.) Offensive line is playing a lot better. Denver has a more talented front 7 than New England IMO, and we did a great job of not only not allowing Luck to get sacked, but giving him a clean pocket with no pressure at all!!

Make no mistake about it, we can beat New England the way we are playing now

Gronkowsky is the killer. The guy is like a behemoth with the speed, agility and catching ability of a wideout…Just when you have all those guys accounted for that guy rips your heart out. The way he, Amendola and #11 are playing it's going to be tough. There's always a new variable with Belichick. Denver just isn't nearly as well coached. 

The most underrated thing NEVER looked at with Gronk is how people tackle the man. Hes really tall so he should be able to bring down easier. He doesnt have the lower center of gravity like Sproles and Welker. The first thing they try to do is tackle his upper body and that is his mistake. Tackle him below the waist and he has no chance of getting past. Hes bigger so his brain should be smaller.

Watch the tackles on Julius Thomas today and you will see the big difference.

The way Denver tried to play us to me is almost Identical to the way Brady likes to play. He likes throw six to eight yard dink and dunk short yardage passes and I think today was a good test and way to get used to seeing that type of offense. I just hope we tackle as good as we did today. Well minus that awful 4th down.

If you go back and watch a replay of Ravens vs Patriots the year when Ray Lewis retired,  when they went to Foxboro and beat New England they used a similar formula as we did yesterday.  They jumped on those short routes really fast and made sure they tackled really firm with very little run after catch.    That's the way you have to play New England on defense and you have to do it for 60 minutes because they really are good at what they do, and they have much more grit to them than Denver.

Our biggest thing against New England will be maintaing really stout run defense.   If we can handle our business in that area I like our chances against their personnel in the passing game outside of Gronk.  Unlike Baltimore, we have better man coverage defensive backs to defend the Patriots passing game.