Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Never in my life (Manziel)

danlhart87

What did he do to make you wish bad fortune on him? Is it about the party he threw? Or him coming out and owning up to his mistakes?

You do realize his latest "owning up to his mistakes" is about the 3rd time he's done that.   Or is it the 4th?    Or the 5th?

Even Mike Pettine, the Browns head coach,  has pretty much said Johnny's words don't mean a thing anymore.    It's his actions and deeds that count.

Johnny is very good at talking the talk.   But he needs lots and lots and lots and lots of work at walking the walk.     That's much harder for Johnny......

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well these kids are still kids. Not everyone is going to come in and have the work ethic of Manning and Brady and it is unfair to expect them to.

It's gonna take him having a Manning/Brady work ethic to make a difference in the NFL and live up to his "Johnny Football" hype.

You do realize his latest "owning up to his mistakes" is about the 3rd time he's done that. Or is it the 4th? Or the 5th?

Even Mike Pettine, the Browns head coach, has pretty much said Johnny's words don't mean a thing anymore. It's his actions and deeds that count.

Johnny is very good at talking the talk. But he needs lots and lots and lots and lots of work at walking the walk. That's much harder for Johnny......

I agree with you there. He is a franchise quarterback and he has some growing up to do and he will have to take responsibility for his actions. But I still think a lot of the stuff he does is blown out of proportion by the media. It seems everyone is hoping the guy fails. I can see why it can influence further acting out on his part.

It's gonna take him having a Manning/Brady work ethic to make a difference in the NFL and live up to his "Johnny Football" hype.

I don't think he has to live up to the hype. If players always lived up to the hype Andrew and Peyton would have seven SB wins between them, Brady would have none, and Jadeveon Clowney would have 25 sacks and three fumble returns this year. All Johnny has to do is find his own way and be successful the way he wants to be.

I agree with you there. He is a franchise quarterback and he has some growing up to do and he will have to take responsibility for his actions. But I still think a lot of the stuff he does is blown out of proportion by the media. It seems everyone is hoping the guy fails. I can see why it can influence further acting out on his part.

If he's prone to "acting out" based on media coverage that can so easily jerk his chain, then chances are his failure is a foregone conclusion....because that's the emotional response of a 10 year-old.

IF, however, Johnny spends a LARGE portion of this off-season with 2-3 of his WRs/TEs relentlessly working on the Browns playbook...that could go a long way in changing both his football fortunes and his well deserved, self-inflicted reputation.

I'm not holding my breath.

If he's prone to "acting out" based on media coverage that can so easily jerk his chain, then chances are his failure is a foregone conclusion....because that's the emotional response of a 10 year-old.

IF, however, Johnny spends a LARGE portion of this off-season with 2-3 of his WRs/TEs relentlessly working on the Browns playbook...that could go a long way in changing both his football fortunes and his well deserved, self-inflicted reputation.

I'm not holding my breath.

People don't like to get picked on no matter what age they are. To Johnny's credit he didn't badmouth any of the players or coaches who mocked him before and after his first start, nor did he go to social media to vent about those players or fans wishing ill on him (Though I'm sure Crimson Tide fans didn't appreciate what he said this week lol). Maybe acting out is not the best way to go but that was just a theory of mine, it doesn't have any credence to it or anything. His first year is one to be forgotten that's for sure. You are right; He needs to be working out a lot with his guys in the offseason. Gaining their trust, getting confidence, and having chemistry with them is important. Especially if he wants to remain the starter in 2015.

I have never in my life wanted a player to fail as much I do with Manziel! He's a joke and im completely tired of his childish antics! You would think by now being in the NFL and being drafted in the 1st round he would clean up his act but some things never change. I seriously hope by next year Manziel is out of the league!

Why are you taking this so personal?. Easy man.

How many 21 year olds in this country makes millions?. He is quite successful if you ask me.

It's his life with what he does. His actions will lead to consequences. We don't have to wish anything.

Happy New Year !

Nah. He can make all the throws, he extends plays like Romo, he's fast...he just needs to get into the speed of the game. It's way too early to give up on him.

What have you seen in Manziel's play in the NFL that you like? He looked lost out there. Yes, it is too early to say he is a bust and I do not want him to fail, but so far, I don't like what I see, especially in the area of intangibles (work ethic, maturity, leadership, etc.).

Before the draft, there was a report that your GM wanted Bridgewater, BOB wanted Clowney, and your owner wanted Manziel. (Credit to Dustin who posted it on this site.) After this past season, it seems like Teddy may have been the best choice. He posted the numbers and has demonstrated a great work ethic... Your GM is underrated. He took a lot of heat for drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. Looking at their careers, the GM made the right decision (although Williams would leave and take the money from the Bills). Your team's owner and your coach should listen to your GM when making decisions on players. :)

I don't think he has to live up to the hype. If players always lived up to the hype Andrew and Peyton would have seven SB wins between them, Brady would have none, and Jadeveon Clowney would have 25 sacks and three fumble returns this year. All Johnny has to do is find his own way and be successful the way he wants to be.

I think that's it., Q.... he cant do things the way he wants to. he's a leader of men. Older men.

He represents a corporation and a city. He has to perform well and win...a high bar

That's what he has to live up to..and it means he has to change what seems to be to be a casual..'I do what I want when I want'

personality..

Plus, he has to change his style of improvisational (make up plays on the fly) QB play because that only works for Russell Wilson and he's not Wilson.

potentially two of the most important things for a qb to have

Nah. Favre, Rivers, Young are a few who don't have traditional mechanics. And attitude doesn't matter much either, as far as leadership or whatnot goes. Guys like Eli and Flacco aren't big leaders or huge personalities and they managed to get rings. Cutler has taken his team to the playoffs and he isn't particularly known to be very chipper.

Nah. Favre, Rivers, Young are a few who don't have traditional mechanics. And attitude doesn't matter much either, as far as leadership or whatnot goes. Guys like Eli and Flacco aren't big leaders or huge personalities and they managed to get rings. Cutler has taken his team to the playoffs and he isn't particularly known to be very chipper.

Depends on which Young you're referring to lol.

What have you seen in Manziel's play in the NFL that you like? He looked lost out there. Yes, it is too early to say he is a bust and I do not want him to fail, but so far, I don't like what I see, especially in the area of intangibles (work ethic, maturity, leadership, etc.).

Before the draft, there was a report that your GM wanted Bridgewater, BOB wanted Clowney, and your owner wanted Manziel. (Credit to Dustin who posted it on this site.) After this past season, it seems like Teddy may have been the best choice. He posted the numbers and has demonstrated a great work ethic... Your GM is underrated. He took a lot of heat for drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. Looking at their careers, the GM made the right decision (although Williams would leave and take the money from the Bills). Your team's owner and your coach should listen to your GM when making decisions on players. :)

I haven't seen an entire Browns game since he became the starter, only snippets of the bad things that happened when he played lol. I don't think anybody becomes a polished pro in their first season, especially not in only two games, so that's why I am more than willing to give Johnny the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the Draft goes, maybe Bridgewater would have been the best option if we are going by this season, but I don't look back at the Draft for successes and fails until at least a few seasons have passed. Like you mentioned Mario, our GM did take a lot of heat and the fans hated the pick....not many of us liked the J.J. Watt pick either...but that's why we are fans :) J.D. has only played a few games so far, hurt, and who knows if he will ever be as good as he was projected after the surgery, but we have to wait and see. Careers aren't made in year one, I guess is what I'm saying lol.

I think that's it., Q.... he cant do things the way he wants to. he's a leader of men. Older men.

He represents a corporation and a city. He has to perform well and win...a high bar

That's what he has to live up to..and it means he has to change what seems to be to be a casual..'I do what I want when I want'

personality..

Plus, he has to change his style of improvisational (make up plays on the fly) QB play because that only works for Russell Wilson and he's not Wilson.

Being a quarterback doesn't make you an automatic leader. He can lead by example with his play, but not every quarterback is necessarily a leader of men like fans want to believe. He'll grow into his role...as far as Wilson goes, he is perhaps the best at improvisation, but he has been doing this for years now. Johnny still has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to scrambling and pocket awareness.

You don't have to sit in the video room and live and breathe football to the point of obsession to be good. That's asinine.

No actually it isn't asinine They are professionals, he should act like it. Throwing a party the night before a practice isn't being a pro. He doesn't get it, and he is a bust just like i predicted. Browns fans are already tired of him

No actually it isn't asinine They are professionals, he should act like it. Throwing a party the night before a practice isn't being a pro. He doesn't get it, and he is a bust just like i predicted. Browns fans are already tired of him

No professional has to be obsessed with his craft. Trust me, I know this first hand. You can handle your business and have fun too. Throwing a night before is something a *gasp* 21 year old kid would do! You have no idea if he "gets it". And no player is a bust after one season much less so two games. Try again.

No professional has to be obsessed with his craft. Trust me, I know this first hand. You can handle your business and have fun too. Throwing a night before is something a *gasp* 21 year old kid would do! You have no idea if he "gets it". And no player is a bust after one season much less so two games. Try again.

Do you hear about good qbs being knuckleheads? No no you don't. Pros don't show up late to meetings.Especially when its obvious he donsnt grasp the offense. The browns will have a new qb before next season

Do you hear about good qbs being knuckleheads? No no you don't. Pros don't show up late to meetings.Especially when its obvious he donsnt grasp the offense. The browns will have a new qb before next season

Manziel didn't show up late to a meeting. And there are plenty of players that are knuckleheads in the NFL and who are still playing. Remember what a certain Peyton Manning did to a nurse at one point when he was young? Yeah, I don't think Johnny has ever done anything like that...You're right, the Browns probably will bring in another guy after Hoyer walks this offseason. They're going to want more than two rookie quarterbacks on their roster.

Manziel didn't show up late to a meeting. And there are plenty of players that are knuckleheads in the NFL and who are still playing. Remember what a certain Peyton Manning did to a nurse at one point when he was young? Yeah, I don't think Johnny has ever done anything like that...You're right, the Browns probably will bring in another guy after Hoyer walks this offseason. They're going to want more than two rookie quarterbacks on their roster.

Actually he did show up late that's why the team fined him.

The Manning accusation was certainly bad if true, but that was long before he was in the NFL

Actually he did show up late that's why the team fined him.

The Manning accusation was certainly bad if true, but that was long before he was in the NFL

He showed up late to a medical treatment, not a meeting. But it certainly happened, there was a witness in the room. The point, though, is that he was a young guy, not much younger than Manziel is now. Young guys make mistakes.

He showed up late to a medical treatment, not a meeting. But it certainly happened, there was a witness in the room. The point, though, is that he was a young guy, not much younger than Manziel is now. Young guys make mistakes.

He was late to a mandatory treatment because he was hung over ...... again. True professional.

He was late to a mandatory treatment because he was hung over ...... again. True professional.

How many times in your youth were you late to work, or unable to make it at all because of a party or something that you had? Like I said, young guy=mistakes. He showed up to the medical treatment, at least. Josh Gordon missed practice entirely.

How many times in your youth were you late to work, or unable to make it at all because of a party or something that you had? Like I said, young guy=mistakes. He showed up to the medical treatment, at least. Josh Gordon missed practice entirely.

I have never been several hours late to work because i was hungover.

As far as we know. A lot goes on behind closed doors that we don't know about. When Manziel does it though, and gets penalized for it, of course it becomes a big story.

Because other franchise qbs get to work earlier than everyone else, not come in hours late

Because other franchise qbs get to work earlier than everyone else, not come in hours late

I don't recall hearing anything about Manziel being late to practice during the season. He was late to a medical treatment....at the end of the season, and when he could no longer play.

being taken in the 1st means nothing just sayin some horrible QBs have been even been taken 1st overall

But we aren't talking about other QBs. We're talking about Manziel. Yes, you are right, some bad QBs have gone in the first. Doesn't mean we can automatically slap one of those labels on Manziel just because he hasn't done well in two games played.

But we aren't talking about other QBs. We're talking about Manziel. Yes, you are right, some bad QBs have gone in the first. Doesn't mean we can automatically slap one of those labels on Manziel just because he hasn't done well in two games played.

but he has stupid traits like the QBs who failed

I don't recall hearing anything about Manziel being late to practice during the season. He was late to a medical treatment....at the end of the season, and when he could no longer play.

He is being paid millions. At the very least show up on time. He doesn't have the work ethic to make it. He isn't very fast and doesn't have a strong arm. The only way for him to become successful is to work harder than everyone else.

Knew they should have taken Bridgewater said it over and over or even Derek Carr they browns just don't know what a potential franchise QB is they always choose wrong

You did. You wrote:

"The best QB is Teddy Bridgewater I don't care what he did at his pro day he is still the best"

You nailed it! The Browns spent $100,000 on a study of the quarterbacks in this draft. The study found that Bridgewater was most likely to succeed. The Browns chose to go with Manziel. Reports are that the GM was about to select Bridgewater but the owner told him to select Manziel instead. It seems like a lot of the owners, including Jerry Jones, wanted Manziel. Owners should stay out of football personnel decisions.