Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Favorite 2014 Early-ish Round Draft Picks

ILB:

Benardrick McKinney - Miss State

Stephone Anthony - Clemson (Maybe a mid round pick)

Obviously, McKinney being the hotter commodity.  We need more size in the middle without sacrificing athleticism.  Both have good size, strength and athleticism to play the middle in our 3-4, and will just need continued refinement with technique for consistent play.

OLB:

Nate Orchard

Bud Dupree - Kentucky

Eli Harold - UVA 

Lorenzo Mauldin

I don't think any of the top rated guys like Beasley, Ray and such will fall to us, we migh have a shot at Dupree or Orchard in the late first and Harold or Mauldin later on.  Newsome has flashed, and Werner seems destined to be the other OLB, we could still use a guy who can consistently get to the QB.  Like others have said,  Werner is more like Ahmad Brooks or Paul Kruger, as opposed to Aldon Smith or Terrell Suggs.

CB:

Jalen Collins - LSU

Marcus Peters - UW

Collins has played well in the SEC and has good size.  Peters does come with baggage, but is talented.  His problems at UW were more with coaches and staff, as opposed to crime.  If he lasts to the 2nd, he might to to hard to pass up.  We could possibly get either of them in the 2nd or 3rd round.  

We obviously need another corner who can play on the outside full time.  Butler is suited for the slot and if Toler or Davis goes down, Gordy or whomever replaces him tends to get bested more often than not.  Considering our man scheme, I'd just like cornerbacks that have the physical tools to match up.  No more 5'9" corner backs.  While Vontae isn't real tall at 5'11", make up for it being a solid 205 pounds, which makes him built pretty big compared to most corners.  We could use another 6'1" or 6'2" corner with long arms than can press and run.  Not to mention Toler is only on contract for 1 more year IIRC.

One of the things I hope to see moving forward from the front office is drafting more for BPA as opposed to need.  At least BPA that they can utilize their talents.  To many times teams draft based on need and end up reaching.  I'm sure I'll add more to this later, especially some O-Linemen.

If we draft an ILB I hope its Denzel Perryman instead of McKinney. Perryman is an all around stud. Good against the run and in coverage, but I don't see us drafting an ILB early with DQ and Freeman expected to be back. I look for our 1st couple picks to be either Safety, CB, OLB, DT/DE, or possibly WR if the right player is available.

I feel like McKinney is going to be a liability in coverage. 

Probably but same can be said about a ton of ILB's, They are Linebackers not Corners, Most are not good at covering really, There are exceptions of course, I see McKinney as a versatile player that can play rush linebacker in pass rush situations while being able to play the run well but can be moved  to ILB in obvious run situations and looks, Im not convinced he has enough lateral agility to be a sideline to sideline player

Probably but same can be said about a ton of ILB's, They are Linebackers not Corners, Most are not good at covering really, There are exceptions of course, I see McKinney as a versatile player that can play rush linebacker in pass rush situations while being able to play the run well but can be moved  to ILB in obvious run situations and looks, Im not convinced he has enough lateral agility to be a sideline to sideline player

We have a weakness up the middle of the defense, particularly in coverage. If we keeping adding players in the middle of the defense who can't cover, then what? I think McKinney has the range to go from middle to sideline, but I think if we're going to draft an ILB high in the draft, it should be someone who can cover, not someone who is a liability. I don't see McKinney as an OLB with any regularity. He is a playmaker, but I'm hesitant about him because he's not good in coverage.

We have a weakness up the middle of the defense, particularly in coverage. If we keeping adding players in the middle of the defense who can't cover, then what? I think McKinney has the range to go from middle to sideline, but I think if we're going to draft an ILB high in the draft, it should be someone who can cover, not someone who is a liability. I don't see McKinney as an OLB with any regularity. He is a playmaker, but I'm hesitant about him because he's not good in coverage.

Perryman would be my first choice at ILB of course but at our pick or rather I expect we will be picking I cant say I believe he will be the BPA as much as I like him, He however is on my short list, Just not #1

Is anyone familiar with DeForest Buckner from Oregon. The guy is roughly 6'7" 290 lbs. He could play end in a 3-4 scheme. I had not even heard of him until I saw I Bleacher Report article mention him. I have not watched any Oregon games this year.

I am a fan of every player you mentioned. Although, I am not as high on McKinney as others seem to be.

Apparently he is a force against the run and rushing the passer.

I think if our first 4 picks go:

1.) Marcus Peters CB Washington: I really like this guy, character concerns may drop him to us, elite caliber corner would give us 2 lock down corners

2.) DeForest Buckner DE Oregon: Nice complement to Chapman and Jones, a boost to the defensive line play

3.) Eli Harold OLB Virginia: We have to improve our pass rush, more competition is a good thing

4.) Eric Rowe S Utah: We also have to improve our safety play, Davis is our best safety and he likely won't be back next season, Rowe is very good and flying under the radar

This draft would give our defense a shot in the arm talent wise, plus help every level of the D.

Rob Rang of CBSSports wrote that McKinney's biggest weakness is his coverage ability. But he's supposed to be a freak athlete who runs like a 4.5-4.6 so I think that's why some people feel he can learn to cover. I like Perryman but the size is an issue. I know people will say "But look at Borland!!!" but I don't think Perryman is 1st round material. 2nd rounder for sure, but I wouldn't take him that hi.

Rob Rang of CBSSports wrote that McKinney's biggest weakness is his coverage ability. But he's supposed to be a freak athlete who runs like a 4.5-4.6 so I think that's why some people feel he can learn to cover. I like Perryman but the size is an issue. I know people will say "But look at Borland!!!" but I don't think Perryman is 1st round material. 2nd rounder for sure, but I wouldn't take him that hi.

I don't think the knock on Borland was his height. I'm sure some people called him undersized, but the big issue with him was his lack of lateral agility and speed to get to the sideline. He's still not great in space, but he sniffs out plays and comes downhill as well as anyone. And it sounds cliche to say, but he plays bigger than his size. When I see him on the field, I don't think he looks 5'11". His size isn't an issue.

Perryman has far more range and agility than Borland, so really the only question is about his height, and I think that's silly. He's a playmaker, and probably would have been a second rounder last season if he came out. Without having looked at a bunch of film and really compared the two, I have Perryman ahead of McKinney.

I don't think the knock on Borland was his height. I'm sure some people called him undersized, but the big issue with him was his lack of lateral agility and speed to get to the sideline. He's still not great in space, but he sniffs out plays and comes downhill as well as anyone. And it sounds cliche to say, but he plays bigger than his size. When I see him on the field, I don't think he looks 5'11". His size isn't an issue.

Perryman has far more range and agility than Borland, so really the only question is about his height, and I think that's silly. He's a playmaker, and probably would have been a second rounder last season if he came out. Without having looked at a bunch of film and really compared the two, I have Perryman ahead of McKinney.

Coverage ability is still an issue though. He's probably fine in space against RB's coming out the backfield, but idk if you want a 5'11" guy on a 6'4" TE. He's definitely a downhill thumper though.

I suspect I'm in the minority here,  but, for me,  1st round picks are for premium positions.   And NT and ILB are just not premium positions in the NFL these days.

Are their exceptions to the rule?    Sure.

But I'd rather take an ILB in the middle rounds than the 1st.    For me,  an ILB is about instincts,  smarts,  heart,  guts,  toughness.  I'm not as concerned about getting a great athlete for that spot unless my entire defense is set and ILB is the final missing piece.

Otherwise,  I'll take a DE,  an OLB, a corner,  or a safety.   

I suspect I'm in the minority here,  but, for me,  1st round picks are for premium positions.   And NT and ILB are just not premium positions in the NFL these days.

But I'd rather take an ILB in the middle rounds than the 1st.    For me,  an ILB is about instincts,  smarts,  heart,  guts,  toughness.  I'm not as concerned about getting a great athlete for that spot unless my entire defense is set and ILB is the final missing piece.

I agree for the most part, but I have a couple of points of contention. For one, our defense struggles to cover in the middle of the field, particularly because our ILBs lack the ability. It's the weakest part of the defense. So maybe it's not the final missing piece, but it is important that we get better, particularly more athletic, in the middle of the field. I think Freeman and Jackson have instincts, smarts, heart, guts, toughness. They just don't cover as well, mostly because they don't have plus athleticism.

Secondly, guys like Navorro Bowman and Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly and Jerod Mayo and so on are very important to their respective defenses. When you have a premium guy, he's legitimately worth a premium pick. Sometimes, a great player transcends your typical positional value ratings, and you expect him to be a huge contributor for you (the Cowboys bucked convention and hit on Travis Frederick, and it looks like they were right). The issue is that you have to get the right guy. I'm not ready to declare that Perryman is that guy, and I'm not certain that I'd want us to take him in the first round, but I do like him, and I like him better than McKinney, as of right now.

Side note: There's a big difference between a nose tackle, who will play 25-35 snaps a game, and an ILB, who can potentially be on the field every down.

I am with you I wouldn't take a ILB in the first round. I do like Perryman though.

Harris from Virginia or Carter at TCU are guys I like later in the draft.

Olomu could slip because of his size but he has been a turnover machine at Oregon. We need splash players on D that are going to make big plays. Armstead has kind of been the forgotten man in Eugene because he has been dinged all year but he is an athletic freak.  

Montgomery WR from Stanford I would love to be this years Moncrief just falls to us in the 3rd. If he is still there in the 3rd don't see how we don't take him.

First round I would love for Collins from LSU to fall. I know another boring O Lineman with our first pick but he is a road grader with quick feet. Guard for a year than kick him out to take over for Cherilus. We have to get the O line straight.

I am sure Grig's will do something's with a full boat of picks   

im really starting to like Gerald Holliman at safety and would love to pick him

Really good production this year but I just read on NFL.com today that most GM's consider him a project and that he is absolutely awful at tackling. He might be a mid round guy when all is said and done

I kinda agree with this to an extent. What would you think of getting Eric Kendricks in the 3rd?

I kinda agree with this to an extent. What would you think of getting Eric Kendricks in the 3rd?

I don't have a great feel yet for most players.   Too early for most.     And I doubt I will until after the combine.

I've got some idea about the 1's and 2's, but even all that is subject to great change.   Now is the time that evaluators earn their money.  

My early hunch would be that Kendricks would be a 3rd or a 4th, not sure which?    I think it will take the post-season, combine and pro day to get a better read on him.

He could go higher, but it's also possible he could go lower.   But the safe zone for right now feels very 3/4ish...

I agree for the most part, but I have a couple of points of contention. For one, our defense struggles to cover in the middle of the field, particularly because our ILBs lack the ability. It's the weakest part of the defense. So maybe it's not the final missing piece, but it is important that we get better, particularly more athletic, in the middle of the field. I think Freeman and Jackson have instincts, smarts, heart, guts, toughness. They just don't cover as well, mostly because they don't have plus athleticism.

Secondly, guys like Navorro Bowman and Patrick Willis and Luke Kuechly and Jerod Mayo and so on are very important to their respective defenses. When you have a premium guy, he's legitimately worth a premium pick. Sometimes, a great player transcends your typical positional value ratings, and you expect him to be a huge contributor for you (the Cowboys bucked convention and hit on Travis Frederick, and it looks like they were right). The issue is that you have to get the right guy. I'm not ready to declare that Perryman is that guy, and I'm not certain that I'd want us to take him in the first round, but I do like him, and I like him better than McKinney, as of right now.

Side note: There's a big difference between a nose tackle, who will play 25-35 snaps a game, and an ILB, who can potentially be on the field every down.

Nicely said.    As I hope I noted,  there are always exceptions to the rule, and guys like Willis and Keuchly and Mayo certainly are them.    Bowman, I believe,  was a 3.

And clearly I was wrong about Frederick.   I think most were.   I don't recall many favorable comments about that pick from NFL types right after that draft.    Most were head scratching as I was.    But props to the Cowboys.   They hit big.    Now, Martin was another story.    Although a pure guard he graded out very highly and kicked butt even in all-star settings against good competition.   Very good pick, I had no issue with him going as high as he did.  (15 or 16?)  There was some talk he might even go a little higher?    

I confess I'm envious of the line Dallas has built.   I suspect our poor line is at the heart of our badly struggling offense.   What I wouldn't give for a dominating o-line?!     My Kingdom for a great o-line!    Disappointing it's taken so long....

I don't have a great feel yet for most players.   Too early for most.     And I doubt I will until after the combine.

I've got some idea about the 1's and 2's, but even all that is subject to great change.   Now is the time that evaluators earn their money.  

My early hunch would be that Kendricks would be a 3rd or a 4th, not sure which?    I think it will take the post-season, combine and pro day to get a better read on him.

He could go higher, but it's also possible he could go lower.   But the safe zone for right now feels very 3/4ish...

Fair enough, i haven't done a lot of research either. This draft seems somewhat top heavy on ILB's (maybe A.J. Johnson, although he is having trouble with the law right now). If we take one other than McKinney, we might have to take Kendricks in the 3rd if he works out well as Perryman will probably go before our 2nd pick. I'm going to be watching the combine with some extreme interest this year since we have 1st rounder. Hopefully we get the right person. Lot of needs to fill as of now.

Really good production this year but I just read on NFL.com today that most GM's consider him a project and that he is absolutely awful at tackling. He might be a mid round guy when all is said and done

This is true. I watched his tape against Boston College, and he can't hit or tackle at all. I mean, it was really bad. He had 3 interceptions, so the coverage ability is there but some were just luck. He's very raw. Probably a 3rd round pick. I have the top 3 safeties in this draft as

1. Harris, Virginia

2. Smith, Fresno State

3. Prewitt, Ole Miss

This is true. I watched his tape against Boston College, and he can't hit or tackle at all. I mean, it was really bad. He had 3 interceptions, so the coverage ability is there but some were just luck. He's very raw. Probably a 3rd round pick. I have the top 3 safeties in this draft as

1. Harris, Virginia

2. Smith, Fresno State

3. Prewitt, Ole Miss

I tried to watch the UVA - VT game to watch Harris but the QB for VT was so inept he couldn't through a ball over 10 yards down field, so I never saw Harris do anything. I've seen Prewitt play a few times, good size and instincts but top end speed may be lacking. The only other safety I've watched was Karl Joseph from West Virgina, I'd like him in the mid rounds too.