Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Never Would Have Guessed

LUVTHESHOE

I want to say first of all kudos to Dan O for actually getting the ball to receivers, and again very unimpressed with our still horrible D, softer than ever, which I didnt think was possible. We never even were within 10 yards of that guy named gronkowski, which boggles my mind. Now I was wondering why in the world the Pats backed off and trust me they did.I was thinking maybe that MR.Kraft had something to do with this out of the respect that he has openly declared about Jeff Saturday who received a standing ovation which was awesome to see. Maybe I am reading to much into this but it was unlike Bilichek to play is soft zone defense for most of the second half. Dont be fooled by this score we have alot of defensive and offensive work to do. By the way class move by Manning, I heard that he walked around for 1 hour signing autographs be fore the game.

The Patriots definitely used yesterday's game to experiment defensively. Slater has never played a game at safety in his life, but they had him out there to give him a shot. They even had the LB Ninkovich covering a WR at times to see if he could. BB played players that he normally never has, including Cunningham, Slater, etc.

Was the score close? Yes. Was the game close? Only through the 1st quarter.

yah too close . . . BB went into his Dean Smith four corners again in the 4th qtr

My daughter woke up from her nap at the start of the 4th. Usually I stay downstairs for the whole game but I went up to hang out with the family and missed most of the quarter. I looked up to see it had gone from 31-3 to 31-17, and missed the second Garcon TD too.

I guess, at least, it gave us ammo for the next "the Patriots run up the score" thread. :D

I want to say first of all kudos to Dan O for actually getting the ball to receivers, and again very unimpressed with our still horrible D, softer than ever, which I didnt think was possible. We never even were within 10 yards of that guy named gronkowski, which boggles my mind. Now I was wondering why in the world the Pats backed off and trust me they did.I was thinking maybe that MR.Kraft had something to do with this out of the respect that he has openly declared about Jeff Saturday who received a standing ovation which was awesome to see. Maybe I am reading to much into this but it was unlike Bilichek to play is soft zone defense for most of the second half. Dont be fooled by this score we have alot of defensive and offensive work to do. By the way class move by Manning, I heard that he walked around for 1 hour signing autographs be fore the game.

If you really think they "let up" you are kidding yourself. Bill doesn't let up on anyone. You and others just can't grasp the idea that the Colts played a pretty good game in NE.

If you really think they "let up" you are kidding yourself. Bill doesn't let up on anyone. You and others just can't grasp the idea that the Colts played a pretty good game in NE.

Do you even watch the games or just get on here and comment. Bill did'nt take his foot off the pedal really, then riddle me this, why were lb's on our wr's and guys playing in spots they have never played, I ithink that is more embarrassing to us, they got up by 28 and turned it into a pre season game.

I watched the game twice, The second time I mainly Fast Forward to see our defense on the field...and almost every snap Brady took our Lb, Cb, Safeties were all standing behind the first down line on many 1st and 10s before the ball was even snapped...What made it worse is that they all ran back further after the snap....Indy's D just looks like they dont want to get off the field..

They pretty much give away all the first downs possible and failed to cover Gronkowski when it mattered the most(in the redzone)

Pretty pathetic! I hope there will be alot of changes next season

Do you even watch the games or just get on here and comment. Bill did'nt take his foot off the pedal really, then riddle me this, why were lb's on our wr's and guys playing in spots they have never played, I ithink that is more embarrassing to us, they got up by 28 and turned it into a pre season game.

That was the defense they chose to go to. Your view I believe is biased because you don't like Caldwell and can not accept the fact that the Colts haven't quit on him and played a good game yesterday everything considered.

But LUV...I didnt see the patriots stop trying to score....

We actually got stops and moved the ball

I watched the game twice, The second time I mainly Fast Forward to see our defense on the field...and almost every snap Brady took our Lb, Cb, Safeties were all standing behind the first down line on many 1st and 10s before the ball was even snapped...What made it worse is that they all ran back further after the snap....Indy's D just looks like they dont want to get off the field..

They pretty much give away all the first downs possible and failed to cover Gronkowski when it mattered the most(in the redzone)

Pretty pathetic! I hope there will be alot of changes next season

Is this the same Gronkowski that I believe leads the league in TD's for TE? It seems that alot of teams have trouble covering him, just not the Colts.

But LUV...I didnt see the patriots stop trying to score....

We actually got stops and moved the ball

I agree, but they did put up 28 pretty quick and then started trying new things. I just think it is horrible coaching not to have a defender within 10 yards on gronkowski, who is the only real threat they have.

I agree, but they did put up 28 pretty quick and then started trying new things. I just think it is horrible coaching not to have a defender within 10 yards on gronkowski, who is the only real threat they have.

Their only real threat? Really? If that is true then 8 other teams really suck also as they couldn't stop that 1 player either.

That was the defense they chose to go to. Your view I believe is biased because you don't like Caldwell and can not accept the fact that the Colts haven't quit on him and played a good game yesterday everything considered.

Do you think that the Patriots fielded their best team against the Colts yesterday?

My daughter woke up from her nap at the start of the 4th. Usually I stay downstairs for the whole game but I went up to hang out with the family and missed most of the quarter. I looked up to see it had gone from 31-3 to 31-17, and missed the second Garcon TD too.

I guess, at least, it gave us ammo for the next "the Patriots run up the score" thread. :D

Or the 'we nearly blew another big lead' thread.......

Yep, this "idea" that they stoped playing or played scrum is just reasoning angry Colt fans are using to explain away why the game was so close.

You clearly don't have a very good grasp of the Patriots at all.

They weren't playing "scrubs", no... but they WERE experimenting in a game. They never would have tried playing Slater at safety against the Jets. Or against the Steelers. They certainly would never have given Ninkovich the time off that he received. Chung probably would have played against one of those two teams, or if it were a playoff game.

But it wasn't necessary. The Patriots experimented because the situation allowed for it.

Sorry if that hurts your "Oh, but the Colts almost won!SHIFT-1!!!" argument, but it's true.

They weren't playing "scrubs", no... but they WERE experimenting in a game. They never would have tried playing Slater at safety against the Jets. Or against the Steelers. They certainly would never have given Ninkovich the time off that he received. Chung probably would have played against one of those two teams, or if it were a playoff game.

But it wasn't necessary. The Patriots experimented because the situation allowed for it.

Sorry if that hurts your "Oh, but the Colts almost won!SHIFT-1!!!" argument, but it's true.

Heres whats also true..

due to playing a different defensive scheme, the pats almost lost the lead. Dan found his rhythm and started putting points up. Second Brady threw for three plays and went 0-3. In came the backup and did the same. When Bill saw the colts had found a stride.. who came back in to make sure the ball was handled correctly?? Brady. Bill saw it, colts fans saw it.. but oddly.. you didnt??

Note to yourself, never count the colts out. On another note.. Dan started listening to Manning instead of Clyde. We all saw what happened when he did, he started to play Manning like football. Like, not the original. But you can see what could happen if it keeps going the way it did yesterday.

btw, i watched the whole game from a droid and still saw it all unfold.

Heres whats also true..

due to playing a different defensive scheme, the pats almost lost the lead. Dan found his rhythm and started putting points up. Second Brady threw for three plays and went 0-3. In came the backup and did the same. When Bill saw the colts had found a stride.. who came back in to make sure the ball was handled correctly?? Brady. Bill saw it, colts fans saw it.. but oddly.. you didnt??

Note to yourself, never count the colts out. On another note.. Dan started listening to Manning instead of Clyde. We all saw what happened when he did, he started to play Manning like football. Like, not the original. But you can see what could happen if it keeps going the way it did yesterday.

btw, i watched the whole game from a droid and still saw it all unfold.

umm..Brady came back in for one victory kneel down play. To make sure a 1000% handoff no doubt but still..ONE kneel down.

Poor coaching from BB. He took the foot off the gas, and was unprepared for what happened. As GoPats said, it was just a little too close for comfort. Once you relax in a game, it can be quite hard to get the momentum going again (sorry all you Polian crazies, it is important no matter what your Lord of the Dance says) and that showed up yesterday. All it told me was that there is no such thing as running up the score, you keep playing till the last drive. Like the Saints did.......

Just imagine if you had Hank Baskett covering that last onside kick.......

Yes... thats what i said..??? Bill didnt feel comfortable with the backup and didnt want a screw up.

But you didn't qualify one kneel down.ONE. So it could easily be interpeted Brady came back in for more plays....not that he wouldn't mind you if the situation dictated it.

So it was a bad coaching decision by the Pats because this "plan" almost cost them the game? I mean it's fine I guess to try some things out when it's 31-3 but wouldn't a good coaching staff change it up when it's say 31-17?

I would say that BB took his foot off of the pedal because he likes to see what kind of depth he really has.. and I can't say that this move makes him a bad coach... because when he sustains injuries later in the year, he will have a better idea of who should be in those positions.. When the game got closer, you can tell that he started to care again. He did not want to lose, but his experimental defense let Dan O do his thing. The Angerer, and Powers injuries certainly hurt us on D.. After they were hurt, our Defense looked like a 3rd string D and they seemed unmotivated. When you let brady have 5 - 10 yard passes, he will take them just like Peyton.. He will also burn you sometimes too.. I would say that Dan O did a great job because NE is a hard team to beat even with Peyton and our old starting D's... Props to Dan O.

Go colts!

gronkowski normally scores good tds, but against the colts, thats just running your route and being open, anyone could have done that. It was like the players were thinking 'HE's supposed to cover him' and then no one ends up covering. Not to mention the safety not knowing where to go. Its like these guys dont hang out or talk to each other. they should all be best mates and have a manning/harrison type of communication, so they know what they are doing.

I would say that BB took his foot off of the pedal because he likes to see what kind of depth he really has.. and I can't say that this move makes him a bad coach... because when he sustains injuries later in the year, he will have a better idea of who should be in those positions.. When the game got closer, you can tell that he started to care again. He did not want to lose, but his experimental defense let Dan O do his thing. The Angerer, and Powers injuries certainly hurt us on D.. After they were hurt, our Defense looked like a 3rd string D and they seemed unmotivated. When you let brady have 5 - 10 yard passes, he will take them just like Peyton.. He will also burn you sometimes too.. I would say that Dan O did a great job because NE is a hard team to beat even with Peyton and our old starting D's... Props to Dan O.

Go colts!

Okay they tried things on Defense, but wasn't that the same ole Pat offense out there? Yet they only put up 31 pts at home, I mean I would think with how "bad" our Colts D is that 40+ should have been no problem...

So it was a bad coaching decision by the Pats because this "plan" almost cost them the game? I mean it's fine I guess to try some things out when it's 31-3 but wouldn't a good coaching staff change it up when it's say 31-17?

Let me see if I can clear this up for you.

Forget almosts.

If the colts were 9-3 and there were some almost losses would you say bad coaching because they almost lost?

Fact is NE didn't lose.

Regarding gas off the pedal...well with a big lead you just play different. Doesn't mean you just let them score. While there is such a thing as garbage TDs NE gave up one if not two too many. The players never want to give up any. So,like all teams in the NFL, they will correct as best they can each week and no doubt Belichick thinks they gave up too many so called garbage TDs.

That's why Brady went no huddle at times to get 28 pts quick and get it over. That's why he got mad he couldn't put 7 more up leading 31-10 to put the nail in the coffin so it wouldn't be close.

No coach wants to win but oh lets make it close so it looks good. 35-0 every game would suit all coaches just fine.

I've never seen any bad coaching by BB on defense. I've seen two playoff games with bad play calling which is the OC but the coach must take the responsibilty. The Jet playoff game and the Giants SB.

Just LOL at bad coaching.

Let me see if I can clear this up for you.

Forget almosts.

If the colts were 9-3 and there were some almost losses would you say bad coaching because they almost lost?

Fact is NE didn't lose.

Regarding gas off the pedal...well with a big lead you just play different. Doesn't mean you just let them score. While there is such a thing as garbage TDs NE gave up one if not two too many. The players never want to give up any. So,like all teams in the NFL, they will correct as best they can each week and no doubt Belichick thinks they gave up too many so called garbage TDs.

That's why Brady went no huddle at times to get 28 pts quick and get it over. That's why he got mad he couldn't put 7 more up leading 31-10 to put the nail in the coffin so it wouldn't be close.

No coach wants to win but oh lets make it close so it looks good. 35-0 every game would suit all coaches just fine.

I've never seen any bad coaching by BB on defense. I've seen two playoff games with bad play calling which is the OC but the coach must take the responsibilty. The Jet playoff game and the Giants SB.

Just LOL at bad coaching.

Did the Saints let up? Heck did Houston let up on us in game 1?

Okay they tried things on Defense, but wasn't that the same ole Pat offense out there? Yet they only put up 31 pts at home, I mean I would think with how "bad" our Colts D is that 40+ should have been no problem...

Its not that simple. This isn't Madden. Blow outs are the exception. Thats why I predicted 34-17. A lot closer than the 50+ others were saying..mostly in jest no doubt.

Colts ate up a lot of time in the 1st qtr. Kinda hard to score when you don't have the ball. And they failed thanks to the colts defense to get that last drive to make it 38 pts.

This is the NFL.

The only thing that counts is the 60 minutes on Sunday. So if you're watching the games as you say you are then why are you bringing up past game stats or records. They don't matter for the current game being played.

Maybe it sucks as a fan you just can't watch the 60 min and thats it..rather you need to come back with stats,past records, trends, etc etc.

It DOESN'T MATTER. Only those 60 minutes matter and its done once its done.

Next...

Did the Saints let up? Heck did Houston let up on us in game 1?

Btw I don't believe NE let up. They simply played the game situation with a lead which might be interpeted as a let up but its not. The goal is to win the game.

The score was incredibly deceptive. This game was NOT remotely close from the minute the Pats switched to the no-huddle.

I don't think that BB intended to let the Colts get as close as they did. I would say that the last Colts TD drive with a couple of really nice throws by Orlovsky wasn't welcome, and it was wonderful to see the Pats forced to a couple of three and outs at a time when our defense is normally dead on their feet.

Neither of that changes the fact that the Colts scored three late TDs because they were methodically moving the ball at a pace that wasn't going to win the ball game. They took what the Patriots gave, which by definition means that the Patriots probably didn't care all that much. It was nice that they got the score close, but that primarily suggests that the Colts were more interested in putting some solid plays together and building confidence than they were in winning the game. I think that by some definitions the Pats DID take their foot off the gas, and I appreciate it. The goal is to win the game, not humiliate the opposition.

"let up" = letting brian hoyer in to close the game.

The D was playing so far off of the WR's that teh Pats could of scored at will anyway.

Hoyer came in with less then 4 minutes to play, played 3 downs and was removed...how is that letting up?

The score was incredibly deceptive. This game was NOT remotely close from the minute the Pats switched to the no-huddle.

I don't think that BB intended to let the Colts get as close as they did. I would say that the last Colts TD drive with a couple of really nice throws by Orlovsky wasn't welcome, and it was wonderful to see the Pats forced to a couple of three and outs at a time when our defense is normally dead on their feet.

Neither of that changes the fact that the Colts scored three late TDs because they were methodically moving the ball at a pace that wasn't going to win the ball game. They took what the Patriots gave, which by definition means that the Patriots probably didn't care all that much. It was nice that they got the score close, but that primarily suggests that the Colts were more interested in putting some solid plays together and building confidence than they were in winning the game. I think that by some definitions the Pats DID take their foot off the gas, and I appreciate it. The goal is to win the game, not humiliate the opposition.

In most situation I would agree, the objective is to win, but there are those games in the NFL where if team A can run up the score and make team B look bad, they will and I think if Bill could have he would have loved to have destroyed the colts if possible.

As far as New England going all preventive coverage in the fourth quarter, that is nothing new as Bellicheck has been known to do it before. In fact, they did it in the game last year and Peyton almost brought us back as a result. Peyton actually didn't do very much that game up until that 4th quarter when the Pats were going prevent but there weren't too many people who called it like it was back then. Orlovsky to his credit was able to take advantage of the Pats playing this way again and padded his stats and the final score. The only difference is when Peyton did it people said it shows how he's the G.O.A.T. but when Orlovsky does it, they say it was only because it was garbage time.

In most situation I would agree, the objective is to win, but there are those games in the NFL where if team A can run up the score and make team B look bad, they will and I think if Bill could have he would have loved to have destroyed the colts if possible.

I disagree. If Peyton had been playing then it might have been different and Belichick might have kept the pedal to the medal until the clock read 00:00. In that type of game, when both teams are clicking on all cylinders coming into the game, then some teams would be willing to go that extra mile to really crush an opponent to prove their superiority. However, without Peyton and with the Colts playing as horribly as they have been all season, there was nothing at all to gain, even for those who would be otherwise tempted, by running up the score. The Pats were 8-3 and 20+ point favorites to easily beat the 0-11 Colts and that's essentially what they did. I do agree with others that the game wound up closer than Belichick would have liked but it could have been much, much worse.