Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson should sign Jerry Hughes in the off-season.

Hughes still at best a situational and average starter, whose inflated sack numbers are a result of the Bills having the best D-Line in the NFL now; Mario and Kyle Williams, Marcelle Darius. Heavily reminds me of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Lance Johnstone back in the 2000s.

Next year, Werner and Newsome will already be putting up comparable numbers after factoring in snaps counts.

Hughes still at best a situational and average starter, whose inflated sack numbers are a result of the Bills having the best D-Line in the NFL now; Mario and Kyle Williams, Marcelle Darius. Heavily reminds me of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Lance Johnstone back in the 2000s.

Next year, Werner and Newsome will already be putting up comparable numbers after factoring in snaps counts.

Most Colts players leave here and get better. They get better players/schemes around them

Jennings

Powers

Hughes

Bethea

Wheeler (little bit)

Only ones who didn't really work out are

Tamme

Angerer

Bob Sanders

I'll admit I was a little disappointed when he was traded but it's in the past. Easy to say it was a mistake now, but at the time everyone was glad he was gone.

Not everybody.  He was playing pretty good in the Colts new 2012 defense.

His pass rushing productivity (PRP a PFF formula) was better than both Mathis and Freeney in 2012 with the Colts.  His run stop % was better than Mathis and more than double Freeney.

Pass Rush snaps, PRP

Hughes: 225, 9.4%

Freeney: 414, 8.8%

Mathis:  283: 8.4%

Presssures [sacks, hits, hurries]

Hughes: 27 pressures in 225 pass rush snaps (12.0%) [4 sacks, 6 hits, 17 hurries]

Freeney: 47 pressures in 414 pass rush snaps (11.4%) [5 sacks, 9 hits, 33 hurries]

Mathis: 29 pressures in 283 pass rush snaps (10.2%) [8 sacks, 5 hits, 16 hurries]

Tackles on running plays:

Hughes: 22 in 257 run snaps (8.6%)

Mathis: 18 in 243 run snaps (7.4%)

Freeney: 9 in 227 run snaps (4.0%)

Brian Orakpo, Jason Worilds, Cliff Avril, JPP, Brandon Graham, are all more realistic propositions. Jerry Hughes obviously hates the Colts.

JPP as a Rush Backer who can slide inside is intriguing indeed.  You have to wonder if the Giants will afford the franchise tag given their usual cap constraints and JPP's inconsistency for the last 3 years.  He'll command a huge contract, and is outside the box of a typical Grigs signing, but I like the fit.  A 4-3 team will be willing to pay more in all likelihood.

JPP as a Rush Backer who can slide inside is intriguing indeed.  You have to wonder if the Giants will afford the franchise tag given their usual cap constraints and JPP's inconsistency for the last 3 years.  He'll command a huge contract, and is outside the box of a typical Grigs signing, but I like the fit.  A 4-3 team will be willing to pay more in all likelihood.

He's been underwhelming as a pass rusher the past two years, and has never come close to his elite 2011 performance. He minds the run well, and he's still explosive and athletic. I think he'd be a nice fit for a Rush backer, and if Julius Peppers can make that transition at 34, I think JPP can at 26.

I don't know what kind of contract he'll command. I would think the Giants would want to retain him, but I'm not sure what he can command. He had one really good year three years ago, and he's still a good player, but the production hasn't been there. I could see the Giants tagging him, since they already have so much invested, but I think there's potential for a Cliff Avril type deal with him, should he leave.

The real deal, though, is that I don't think we'll be signing a veteran pass rusher, unless it's a rotational/depth kind of guy. None of those guys I listed, including Hughes, will be on the radar. Mathis is coming back, Newsome and Werner will still be in the mix, and hopefully we'll draft a guy who can make plays from Sam or Rush. I don't see a FA pass rusher being part of the mix.

He's been underwhelming as a pass rusher the past two years, and has never come close to his elite 2011 performance. He minds the run well, and he's still explosive and athletic. I think he'd be a nice fit for a Rush backer, and if Julius Peppers can make that transition at 34, I think JPP can at 26.

I don't know what kind of contract he'll command. I would think the Giants would want to retain him, but I'm not sure what he can command. He had one really good year three years ago, and he's still a good player, but the production hasn't been there. I could see the Giants tagging him, since they already have so much invested, but I think there's potential for a Cliff Avril type deal with him, should he leave.

The real deal, though, is that I don't think we'll be signing a veteran pass rusher, unless it's a rotational/depth kind of guy. None of those guys I listed, including Hughes, will be on the radar. Mathis is coming back, Newsome and Werner will still be in the mix, and hopefully we'll draft a guy who can make plays from Sam or Rush. I don't see a FA pass rusher being part of the mix.

I agree I don't see a FA pass rusher coming especially with Mathis coming back and Newsome showing some spark. I think it will be pretty quiet on the FA market again this year  a piece here or there. I don't see a big name.  The draft is where we will get our guys. It is how you have to build.

All true, and agree that a FA pass rusher won't be our first move, but I remain intrigued because of the opportunity for him to play 2 downs outside, then bring Mathis in on passing downs and Kick JPP inside.  That could be the opportunity to bring pressure with 4 that we long for.  This staff hasn't shown an affinity for NASCAR looks, but I wish they would.  

I also think JPP will still command a premium deal beyond what his numbers support - he appeals to almost every scheme and several teams, at minimum will see him as a $10+MM player in an escalating salary cap environment.

All true, and agree that a FA pass rusher won't be our first move, but I remain intrigued because of the opportunity for him to play 2 downs outside, then bring Mathis in on passing downs and Kick JPP inside.  That could be the opportunity to bring pressure with 4 that we long for.  This staff hasn't shown an affinity for NASCAR looks, but I wish they would.  

I also think JPP will still command a premium deal beyond what his numbers support - he appeals to almost every scheme and several teams, at minimum will see him as a $10+MM player in an escalating salary cap environment.

The staff has shown this year that they'll rotate four or five guys between all three line spots. If we could add a hybrid who can 3/5 tech on passing downs, and play Rush the rest of the time, I think we'd see them take advantage of it. That's me being optimistic. One thing I believe is that we need a couple of multiple position defenders, particularly linebackers who can play inside and out, and safeties who can play man coverage. A Rush who can play 3/5 tech would be a great addition.

As for JPP, I keep thinking about Avril. There are a ton of similarities between the two, but the 2013 offseason was probably just an aberration, with several of those deals (Avril, DRC, Grimes, etc.) being outliers that can't be used as true precedents. But if we could entice JPP to sign for two years, $12m, that would be incredible.

The staff has shown this year that they'll rotate four or five guys between all three line spots. If we could add a hybrid who can 3/5 tech on passing downs, and play Rush the rest of the time, I think we'd see them take advantage of it. That's me being optimistic. One thing I believe is that we need a couple of multiple position defenders, particularly linebackers who can play inside and out, and safeties who can play man coverage. A Rush who can play 3/5 tech would be a great addition.

As for JPP, I keep thinking about Avril. There are a ton of similarities between the two, but the 2013 offseason was probably just an aberration, with several of those deals (Avril, DRC, Grimes, etc.) being outliers that can't be used as true precedents. But if we could entice JPP to sign for two years, $12m, that would be incredible.

It's not going to be J Hughes. That we know. Boat sailed 11/2 years ago.

When you consider that the basic tenant of the odd front is disruptive LB's, it isn't hard to grasp our defensive inconsistencies this year. As of now, those guys continue to lag in our scheme. On our good days, we are much better than last year with the addition of DQ, but against good teams with enough weapons to put pressure on us, the LB spot has been the glaring weakness and the combo of Freeman and DQ are exposed as good enough to get you beat in the first round or second round of the playoffs.  

I like the progress on the edges with what a healthy Walden has shown this year and the growth of Werner as moveable piece but neither are bringing anything that OCs have to gameplan for yet.

Lots of pieces needed still.