Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Simms says Brady not a top 5 qb

RockThatBlue

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't believe that a guy who actually played the game at every level knows more about NFL quarterbacking than you?

Maybe he doesn't go into detailed depth because he knows the average fan would not have a clue as to what he is saying?

Nope. He just does not have any related to Brady not being a top 5 QB. Sadly, I do believe he knows the position as not only did he play it, his father played it as well and was pretty good himself. He was just trying to drive traffic with this drivel. This is apparent to everyone but you.

What do weapons have to do with it? That is not what Simms argued. He was arguing age and physical ability which is the part that makes no sense. Brady has a better QBR than Ben and a MUCH better QBR than Wilson.

QBR is also flawed, It sometimes rates a player such as Tim Tebow over Aaron Rodgers while Rodgers went 26 of 39 for 396 yards 2 td's while Tebow completed 4 of 10 for 79 yards and a td's, 4 rushes 38 yards and a td while Tebow only played a half...In other words Rodgers was basically penalized for playing the full game, Top QB's in the game cant even explain the stat

QBR is also flawed, It sometimes rates a player such as Tim Tebow over Aaron Rodgers while Rodgers went 26 of 39 for 396 yards 2 td's while Tebow completed 4 of 10 for 79 yards and a td's, 4 rushes 38 yards and a td while Tebow only played a half...In other words Rodgers was basically penalized for playing the full game, Top QB's in the game cant even explain the stat

No system is perfect. But we are nine games in now. The cream rises to the top by this point in the season.

Nope. He just does not have any related to Brady not being a top 5 QB. Sadly, I do believe he knows the position as not only did he play it, his father played it as well and was pretty good himself. He was just trying to drive traffic with this drivel. This is apparent to everyone but you.

I don't have any commentary on the specifics of what he said, or didn't say. I'm simply say he's more qualified to provide expert analysis than you, or anyone who comments here.

He's saying that if you were looking for a long term QB to lead a team now. Brady is not in the top five. That's a no brainier. That is true. Brady, at this point is not a long term so,ution for anyone.

I don't see the controversy there.

That is not what he said. He said Brady was not a top 5 QB right now. He said his top 5 were Rodgers, Manning, Luck, Wilson and Ben.

The strange thing is that Chris was trying to make the argument about a changing of the QB guard. A youth movement vs an elder statesman one. Except that Chris's argument looks really lame when you remember that despite all NE's injuries last season the Patriots still made it to the AFC Championship Game in Denver. 

Chris reminds me a TV personality who wants to create a new list of elite QBs based strictly on their names not being Brady or Manning. Only 1 problem with that idea sparky: When those 2 HOF elder field generals are still making deep playoff runs a decade later & out performing young, up & coming guns, your flawed premise gets blown out of the water. Manning & Brady always knock off 12 wins & almost always meet in the precursor game to the SB. Longevity & winning make QBs elite.

You don't dismiss field generals simply because they are inching closer to 40 years old Mr. Simms. 

Besides, I put more emphasis on cerebral intellect not arm strength & both Manning & Brady are within the top 5 actually top 3 to me. That's not even open to debate to me. This game on offense is won & lost from the neck up not whether your arm is a cannon or not remember Jamarcus Russell? Not in the NFL anymore, but Manning & Brady are still going strong. 

That is not what he said. He said Brady was not a top 5 QB right now. He said his top 5 were Rodgers, Manning, Luck, Wilson and Ben.

And I think he's right. I can easily find five QB's ahead of Brady right now. I'd also put Kaepernick and Stafford over Brady right now. I wouldn't trade any of the QB's mentioned for Brady right now.

And I think he's right. I can easily find five QB's ahead of Brady right now. I'd also put Kaepernick and Stafford over Brady right now. I wouldn't trade any of the QB's mentioned for Brady right now.

Really? Matthew Stafford has got win the NFC North title before I even remotely call him above average. Regarding CK, I will call him very good for getting to the SB vs the Ravens, but he's not better than Brady. Not even close. 

I respect your opinion, but I vehemently disagree with you that the Lions QB & the 49ers QB are better than Foxboro's cagy veteran winner. 

The strange thing is that Chris was trying to make the argument about a changing of the QB guard. A youth movement vs an elder statesman one. Except that Chris's argument looks really lame when you remember that despite all NE's injuries last season the Patriots still made it to the AFC Championship Game in Denver. 

Chris reminds me a TV personality who wants to create a new list of elite QBs based strictly on their names not being Brady or Manning. Only 1 problem with that idea sparky: When those 2 HOF elder field generals are still making deep playoff runs a decade later & out performing young, up & coming guns, your flawed premise gets blown out of the water. Manning & Brady always knock off 12 wins & almost always meet in the precursor game to the SB. Longevity & winning make QBs elite.

You don't dismiss field generals simply because they are inching closer to 40 years old Mr. Simms. 

Besides, I put more emphasis on cerebral intellect not arm strength & both Manning & Brady are within the top 5 actually top 3 to me. That's not even open to debate to me. This game on offense is won & lost from the neck up not whether your arm is a cannon or not remember Jamarcus Russell? Not in the NFL anymore, but Manning & Brady are still going strong. 

LOL

Who is talking about trading? I realize you are trying real hard to make sense of Simms comments. But he did not talk about trading Brady or what QB you would want leading your franchise for the future. He said Brady was not a top 5 QB this season right now. That is completely false by every measurable statistic there is for judging QBs.

He's saying that if you were looking for a long term QB to lead a team now. Brady is not in the top five. That's a no brainier. That is true. Brady, at this point is not a long term so,ution for anyone.

I don't see the controversy there.

But he didnt say long term.......That just isnt what he said..at best he double talked

Young Simms said that Tom Brady is not a top 5 QB..and his argumnent wasnt stats, leadership or victories or history

..It was escabalility and arm strength...athletic qualities

.Problems. He didnt say..better athlete..he said better QB....all factors, as he suggested, could be considered..

He's a young man..relatively new on the air...he obviously misspoke

Oh dear god. I think that I just might follow the Patriots a little more closely than you do. Many of us were calling for Mankins to be cut.

What are your thoughts on how the Pats Oline has come together over the past 5 weeks? Early on it sure looked like the Mankins trade hurt them but now they seem much more stable. Is that due to the coaching or guys just getting more comfortable in their role with Mankins not being there? They did trade him late and that messes up continuity.

So, does one need to be a top shelf former QB in order to be an analyst?  What do fans know about being an NFL QB.  Nothing other than what they read.

You're distorting the point here somewhat, a fan maybe not, but you don't need to have played the game at all let alone at the highest levels to be a good coach/analyst. Sure it undoubtably helps, mostly from building connections in the industry but it's not a necessity.

If anything the NFL would be one of the easier games to learn to analyse given it's set piece nature, once you've got a grounding in the concepts.

Either way, whatever Sims background, QB rankings are just opinion and his is no more "correct" than anyone else's

Trent Dilfer is considered one of the finest analysts out there.  He sure wasn't much of a QB. 

He sure is. He said early this year that the "Patriots simply aren't good anymore."  And if you read his analysis on the Colts you will surely come away scratching your head.

You're distorting the point here somewhat, a fan maybe not, but you don't need to have played the game at all let alone at the highest levels to be a good coach/analyst. Sure it undoubtably helps,

The point I was making is simple. It's quite dumb to claim that a man who played the QB position at every level does not know what it takes to be successful. I would say he has a better handle on what it takes than a guy on a message board.

The point I was making is simple. It's quite dumb to claim that a man who played the QB position at every level does not know what it takes to be successful. I would say he has a better handle on what it takes than a guy on a message board.

Again this is you opinion, there is nothing to say a former player is automatically a good analyst/coach. Take each on his own body of his work not his previous status.

I've seen breakdowns on here by certain posters that are as good as any published writers.

You have your opinion, I have mine that's the way of the world.