Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle (-5) @ San Diego (9-14-14)

oldunclemark

The Seahawks were 6-2 on the road last year and if you want to count the Super Bowl are 10-3 away from home over their last 13 games. On top of that they haven't lost by more than seven points anywhere - home or road - in a league record 46 straight games.

A lot of teams wish they could be that bad on the road.

Final..SD -27 Seattle 21

Seattle is nowhere near the same team on the road....everybody knows that

What a great game - I HATE close games... until we win them ;-)!  Our D won this one on the back end.  That's the biggest improvement in our team.  We haven't heard a word on Ryan Mathew - DANG!  His knee looked bad...

You guys took down the champs... so enjoy the week of celebrating. 

What a great game - I HATE close games... until we win them ;-)!  Our D won this one on the back end.  That's the biggest improvement in our team.  We haven't heard a word on Ryan Mathew - DANG!  His knee looked bad...

Don't worry...Girl..

Donald Brown can fill in till Ryan M gets back...

Rivers was excellent and the Hawks could not cover Gates ...

No fluke..Chargers whipped them

You guys took down the champs... so enjoy the week of celebrating. 

Our guys get exactly one day to enjoy then on to Buffalo.  We can't overlook them as a team we're "supposed" to beat.  However, I expected us to be 1 and 1 at this time, we lost one we should have won and won won no one expected (say that 3 times fast, LOL!)  One game at a time...

I don't need to.  It's posted right here.

The Chargers will not be able to establish any kind of running game.  They won't be able to exploit any weaknesses in the Seahawks secondary due to injury.  On offense they won't be able to stop the run and they will fail to put any sustained pressure on Wilson. 

Seahawks will win by double digits.  Easily.  35 to  13.  SD scores a TD late in garbage time.

oh my

Our guys get exactly one day to enjoy then on to Buffalo.  We can't overlook them as a team we're "supposed" to beat.  However, I expected us to be 1 and 1 at this time, we lost one we should have won and won won no one expected (say that 3 times fast, LOL!)  One game at a time...

Rivers and Gates were outstanding today. Congrats to your team.  I was rooting for them and they didn't let me down :thmup:

It was one game and yes it was on the road but it was still a west coast game...no excuses for Seattle. SD just played a much more sound game then them.....they actually OUT-SEATTLED Seattle lol. Nice win for SD....exactly how they beat Denver last year and it worked again....they just have to execute pretty well perfectly but if they do...they can beat anyone.

Bad loss with Ryan Matthews...he was their work horse last year...but Donald has a very similar running style to Ryan and I think he fills in well. I know people thought the signing didn't make sense and it was over-paying but Donald is the right fit there. I said it when it happened. I didn't think it would be this early in the season but because of how the year ended we saw SD suffered without Matthews and needed a compliment for him...and they have it in Donald. I think he fills in perfectly...because that offense NEEDS the run game...without it...they aren't the same threat at all.

It was one game and yes it was on the road but it was still a west coast game...no excuses for Seattle. SD just played a much more sound game then them.....they actually OUT-SEATTLED Seattle lol. Nice win for SD....exactly how they beat Denver last year and it worked again....they just have to execute pretty well perfectly but if they do...they can beat anyone.

Bad loss with Ryan Matthews...he was their work horse last year...but Donald has a very similar running style to Ryan and I think he fills in well. I know people thought the signing didn't make sense and it was over-paying but Donald is the right fit there. I said it when it happened. I didn't think it would be this early in the season but because of how the year ended we saw SD suffered without Matthews and needed a compliment for him...and they have it in Donald. I think he fills in perfectly...because that offense NEEDS the run game...without it...they aren't the same threat at all.

Couldn't have said it any better.  We may have dodged a bullet as Ryan has a sprained MCL and is only expected out 4-5 weeks not the year (hallelujah!)    If we can keep winning while he's out it could actually work in our favor as our season is back-loaded and he would be fresh legs.  However, we do have two developmental RBs that showed a lot of promise in the preseason, not the same punishing style as Ryan: Branden Oliver earned the nickname "Sprol-bert" in the preseason.  Smaller and shifty like Sproles but beefier like Tolbert.  Marion Grice broke some good runs, he's fast and is just plain a play maker.  As rookies I hope we don't have to use them just yet but they're there.  

Lost in all of the talk about the game was Rivers' stats.  He was 28/37 for a 76% completion rate and over 124 passer rating for 284 yards and 3 TDs.  Not many of our catches against Seattle were gimmes, a lot were really good coverage but when the ball is thrown perfectly there's not much you can do but tackle the receiver after the catch. 

Couldn't have said it any better.  We may have dodged a bullet as Ryan has a sprained MCL and is only expected out 4-5 weeks not the year (hallelujah!)    If we can keep winning while he's out it could actually work in our favor as our season is back-loaded and he would be fresh legs.  However, we do have two developmental RBs that showed a lot of promise in the preseason, not the same punishing style as Ryan: Branden Oliver earned the nickname "Sprol-bert" in the preseason.  Smaller and shifty like Sproles but beefier like Tolbert.  Marion Grice broke some good runs, he's fast and is just plain a play maker.  As rookies I hope we don't have to use them just yet but they're there.  

Lost in all of the talk about the game was Rivers' stats.  He was 28/37 for a 76% completion rate and over 124 passer rating for 284 yards and 3 TDs.  Not many of our catches against Seattle were gimmes, a lot were really good coverage but when the ball is thrown perfectly there's not much you can do but tackle the receiver after the catch. 

Frank Reich called a great game, isolating a lot of LB matchups on Gates that Gates will inevitably win. Lack of familiarity was also in the Chargers' favor, IMO. Chargers' OL run blocks better than the Broncos', IMO but that is just my opinion.

Chargers are at their best when the O protects the D with clock control, something they started doing more and more last year, I felt. The D is good enough for some opportunistic plays but if the TOP is something like how it was vs the Cardinals, the Chargers will have more problems stopping a potent offense. I would not rank Carson Palmer and that O a top 5 offense but will rank the Seahawks' offense as a top 5 offense, mainly because of the offensive efficiency in getting first downs.

Given the Broncos' D issues on stopping opponents on third down (witnessed in SB, witnessed throughout last year, witnessed yesterday vs the Chiefs), I can certainly bet that the Seahawks pull away in the 2nd half vs the Broncos whose second halves have been halves to forget. Then, it all comes down to the head-to-head between the Broncos and Chargers for the division. Also, the Chargers playing both the Patriots and Seahawks was a huge advantage, I felt, when the schedule came out. I'd put a L for the Patriots playing at the Chargers, frankly.

Frank Reich called a great game, isolating a lot of LB matchups on Gates that Gates will inevitably win. Lack of familiarity was also in the Chargers' favor, IMO. Chargers' OL run blocks better than the Broncos', IMO but that is just my opinion.

Also, the Chargers playing both the Patriots and Seahawks was a huge advantage, I felt, when the schedule came out. I'd put a L for the Patriots playing at the Chargers, frankly.

Yes, absolutey agree with your conclusions.  Reich created the perfect game plan for Seattle - I hope he nails it as well with each opponent.  

I'm assuming you meant playing the Patriots and Seahawks in San Diego, I absolutely agree on that.  You put that same game in Seattle and I'm not sure we sustain our energy and drive the whole game let alone the crazy hot temps that SD had a chance to prepare for and Seattle with their mid-70s temps this time of year didn't.  

I would add that against Denver, if we make Peyton uncomfortable it is possible to rattle him and force bad throws.  We've done that repeatedly against him in the past.  We need to have good coverage in our secondary to pull it off or he can eat you alive.  Our secondary is the most improved part of our game just slightly ahead of our pass rush (which in turn has improved our secondary so it's chicken and egg).  

Chargers defense and D-Line are so bad now, I'm almost willing to say that we can trade (and fleece) Zach Kerr to them for a 2nd rounder.

Their BEST OLB last year had fewer sacks than Erik Walden.

This ain't the Chargers from the Jamal Williams, Shawne Merriman, and Shaun Phillips days.

The Chargers front seven is more talented than the Colts. Corey Liuget is a stud.

As fans you get a week to revel in victory.  Buffalo vs. Chargers should be a great game next Sunday.