Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Special Teams Colts @ Broncos

cjwhiskers

How refreshing was it to see some great special teams play? And when I say great special teams play I mean game changing. We had the onside kick (love ANDY on ST). Quite a few beautiful punts including the one where the ball was knocked out that we unfortunately did not recover. I think the only part of our special team play that looked average/below average was Griff returning kicks. I love Griff very solid hands but he does not have the acceleration/speed for punt returns IMO.

Overall though, a very very solid game for special teams. We win that part of the game as we did last night it's going to help make us very dangerous.

How refreshing was it to see some great special teams play? And when I say great special teams play I mean game changing. We had the onside kick (love ANDY on ST). Quite a few beautiful punts including the one where the ball was knocked out that we unfortunately did not recover. I think the only part of our special team play that looked average/below average was Griff returning kicks. I love Griff very solid hands but he does not have the acceleration/speed for punt returns IMO.

Overall though, a very very solid game for special teams. We win that part of the game as we did last night it's going to help make us very dangerous.

I agree on all counts.

I would also like to add that it was Purifoy who made a great stick to cause a fumble. 

Although we can all second guess decisions after the fact, I was scratching my head as to why we did not put TY in to return the 4th quarter punts. The way Colquitt out-kicked his coverage a few times, TY would have had a lot of room to run. Like I said, we can second guess everything, but that was one of my few disagreements during the game.

In my opinion anytime a team is punting from inside their own 20, TY needs to be the return man. If they are kicking from close to midfield then have Whalen go in and make a sure handed grab at it. We used to do the same thing with Mike Prior and Clarence Verdin back in the day.

The Colts use Whalen on punt returns because he is sure-handed, but he's no threat to break open a big run.  If the team doesn't want to risk injury to Hilton on special teams, they should give Purifoy the opportunity.  He's a very fast gunner covering kicks, so he clearly has the speed and quickness to be a dangerous returner.