Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots claim waived/injured rookie RB Tyler Gaffney from the Panthers

MrNLM

Does anyone have a link or list of how many times this has happened. Not very often is my guess

Happens all the time. The Patriots claim more than most but the Colts claim players as well. Buffalo and the Bengals claimed a player off waivers over the last few days. The Colts claimed a player last year. It's a very complicated system with many rules.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens all the time. The Patriots claim more than most but the Colts claim players as well. Buffalo and the Bengals claimed a player off waivers over the last few days. The Colts claimed a player last year. It's a very complicated system with many rules.

I'm talking about claiming a guy that is headed to IR. I realize teams put in waivers claims of cut players all the time

Good commentary on this here:

“Anyone who is upset with what Belichick did just doesn’t understand how the NFL works. The Panthers have 90 offseason roster spots right now, so if they really wanted Tyler Gaffney they would have just kept him on the roster and they wouldn’t have exposed him to waivers. Obviously they didn’t feel strongly about the player because they left him out there.

“Bill Belichick to his crediticon1.png, Tyler Gaffney was somebody they scouted up and he snagged him. Now the Patriots have to carry him on the roster, so they’ll only have 89 healthy players in camp. Anybody complaining about Belichick violating a rule is kind of being a baby and not understanding how reality works.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/29/patriots-claim-injured-panthers-rb-off-waivers-but-did-belichick-break-an-unwritten-nfl-rule/

Basically the Panthers did not feel Gaffney was worth a spot on the 90 man roster and the Pats did.

I'm talking about claiming a guy that is headed to IR. I realize teams put in waivers claims of cut players all the time

It was the Panthers choice to leave him unprotected. There's nothing wrong or unethical about claiming him.

What are you talking about? It's standard practice league wide.

Lol, standard practice?? Um, no it isn't. Name some other teams that are "standard practicing" this. 

I love how all the pats fans come clamoring when you say the Pats aren't ethical. You guys are awesome :) 

It was the Panthers choice to leave him unprotected. There's nothing wrong or unethical about claiming him.

I agree. Anyone who has to go through waivers is fair game. You expose him willingly, and the risk is that someone else wants him. The Colts had the foresight to keep Ballard, while the Panthers made the mistake of exposing Gaffney.

During the 90 man roster period, a player must FIRST go through waivers in order to go to IR.  Unless the player is a veteran, which in this case, Ballard is not.  

If we want to put Ballard on IR, we will wait until the rosters are cut down and he will have to take up a spot until then.  Or....we could try to pass him through waivers and move him to IR now, but the other 31 teams would have a chance to claim him before he was on our IR.

Thanks for the explanation.

Lol, standard practice?? Um, no it isn't. Name some other teams that are "standard practicing" this. 

I love how all the pats fans come clamoring when you say the Pats aren't ethical. You guys are awesome :)

You'd have to name some players that are worthy of being claimed off waivers, even in an injured state. 

Waivers is waivers. I don't think there's anything unethical about this. At all.

1 - The Colts

2 - How are the Patriots unethical?

i didn't say there was This is the exact reason the colts haven't put Ballard on IR.

I was just curious how often it happens I can't think of one time where it worked out for the team that claimed them

Good commentary on this here:

“Anyone who is upset with what Belichick did just doesn’t understand how the NFL works. The Panthers have 90 offseason roster spots right now, so if they really wanted Tyler Gaffney they would have just kept him on the roster and they wouldn’t have exposed him to waivers. Obviously they didn’t feel strongly about the player because they left him out there.

“Bill Belichick to his crediticon1.png, Tyler Gaffney was somebody they scouted up and he snagged him. Now the Patriots have to carry him on the roster, so they’ll only have 89 healthy players in camp. Anybody complaining about Belichick violating a rule is kind of being a baby and not understanding how reality works.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/29/patriots-claim-injured-panthers-rb-off-waivers-but-did-belichick-break-an-unwritten-nfl-rule/

Basically the Panthers did not feel Gaffney was worth a spot on the 90 man roster and the Pats did.

That's new. Somebody from Boston calling people who question the almighty Belicheck a baby. .......Quality writing. 

Regardless, the writer makes reference to the unwritten rule I previously mentioned. It's obviously known about throughout the league, and the Pats choose to ignore it. 

Not much else to say. Typical Pats. 

Good job......?? 

That's new. Somebody from Boston calling people who question the almighty Belicheck a baby. .......Quality writing. 

Regardless, the writer makes reference to the unwritten rule I previously mentioned. It's obviously known about throughout the league, and the Pats choose to ignore it. 

Good job......?? 

There are no unwritten rules in the NFL especially when it comes to a player on waivers. The Panthers were not forced to put him on IR. They knew the risk. 31 teams had a chance at him and the Pats took a flyer which cost them a roster spot.

Let's not get into a p'ing match about the Pats being unethical. You will lose. 

How's that? Please P away. Guys complaining about the Patriots remind me of the divorced guy that just can't stop crying about his ex. 

Good job......?? 

lol. You don't know the Boston media very well, do you? Their favorite past time is to criticize Belichick and all things Red Sox. It actually means MORE that they are defending him.

A waiver is a waiver and an injury becomes the claiming teams issue. There are no rules or ethics about players heading to IR.

My point is, i think it's dumb to claim a player on the way to IR. If the player was worth keeping, the original team wouldn't take the chance of losing him on waivers.

My point is, i think it's dumb to claim a player on the way to IR. If the player was worth keeping, the original team wouldn't take the chance of losing him on waivers.

One team may not value the player though because he did not fit well with them while another team sees his worth and his ability to fit well. So even if the team putting him on the waiver does not think he is worth it for them, it does not preclude that he could be a solid contributor for the team that claims him in which case claiming him is both smart and shrewd.

I would have to agree with you. Belichick knows what he's doing and that's one of the things that fascinates me about him. He takes lots of chances but at the same time runs a very fundamentally sound organization. Sometimes he'll do something on the field that leaves you scratching your head but it's also fun and nail biting. And contrary to belief he will answer football questions after games explaining his thoughts on certain decisions. Sometimes it's just not as deep as people like to think. 

One team may not value the player though because he did not fit well with them while another team sees his worth and his ability to fit well. So even if the team putting him on the waiver does not think he is worth it for them, it does not preclude that he could be a solid contributor for the team that claims him in which case claiming him is both smart and shrewd.

Can you name one IR/waivers player that worked out for the team that claimed the injured player

I would have to agree with you. Belichick knows what he's doing and that's one of the things that fascinates me about him. He takes lots of chances but at the same time runs a very fundamentally sound organization. Sometimes he'll do something on the field that leaves you scratching your head but it's also fun and nail biting. And contrary to belief he will answer football questions after games explaining his thoughts on certain decisions. Sometimes it's just not as deep as people like to think.

Clearly BBs success is undeniable. But he, like most coaches try to be too smart at times. The pats are going to pay this kid 500 grand this season, and its very likely he never wears a Pats uniform

Clearly BBs success is undeniable. But he, like most coaches try to be too smart at times. The pats are going to pay this kid 500 grand this season, and its very likely he never wears a Pats uniform

I don't think they're on the hook for 500G?

Let's not get into a p'ing match about the Pats being unethical. You will lose. 

Did you forget about this already? 

jim-irsay-mugshot.jpg?w=599

Let's see.

In one situation, a team claims a player on waivers well within league rules. 

In another, a team owner is caught with $29,000 in cash (part of it in a laundry bag, which we know all rich people use to carry their money around), and a virtual pharmacy of drugs... all while driving his car while impaired and endangering the lives of anyone else on the road. 

When does Irsay's ethics class begin?  ;)

Let's see.

In another, a team owner is caught with $29,000 in cash (part of it in a laundry bag, which we know all rich people use to carry their money around), and a virtual pharmacy of drugs... all while driving his car while impaired and endangering the lives of anyone else on the road.

When does Irsay's ethics class begin? ;)

allegedly

Let's see.

When does Irsay's ethics class begin?  ;)

Irsay's personal decisions have nothing to do with the Colts as an organization, so I don't know where you are going with this. 

Irsay's personal decisions have nothing to do with the Colts as an organization, so I don't know where you are going with this. 

#90 icon_share.png Horse Shoe Heaven
Horse Shoe Heaven
  • default_large.png
  • 1748 posts

Posted Today, 02:27 PM

TAPLOOK, on 29 Jul 2014 - 2:17 PM, said:snapback.png

Embarrassment? He didn't lose a wink of sleep. People like him (meaning the extremely wealthy) rarely except blame. It's never been expected. Breeding.  

I believe you may be wrong here, this for him is unfortunately all over the news, surly awkward among his football colleagues, and Irsay has always wanted to have or be perceived as having a first class organization, including his reputation. All have been tarnished! If this is you or I no one knows but, friends and family, bad enough, but not everyone we meet!

Can you name one IR/waivers player that worked out for the team that claimed the injured player

I would have to research it as I don't know. But really past history is irrelevant. The Pats did not have great luck signing WRs FAs prior to Moss so does that mean they should not have signed Moss? Or Revis this year? Because their success singing FA CBs was pretty awful as well. You have to make the best decisions in the moment and if the Pats FO sees something in this RB then why not pick him up? It is low risk as they are only paying him less than a half million and gave up a roster spot on the 90 man roster. If he works out then they will have gotten a nice return on a low risk investment.