Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Florio Destroys Todd McShay

Last year, McShay put Tennessee offensive lineman Antonio Richardson at No. 16 on the top 32 players for the 2014 draft.  Inevitably, Richardson gave up his final year of eligibility at Tennessee to enter the draft.  And Richardson wasn’t drafted.

Ditto for Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy.  Ranked at No. 19 last year by McShay, Purifoy left school early for the draft.  And Purifoy wasn’t drafted.

Then there’s LSU defensive tackle Anthony Johnson.  He was No. 22 on McShay’s top-32 list last May.  Johnson left school early to enter the draft.  And Johnson wasn’t drafted. - ProFootballTalk

Last year, McShay put Tennessee offensive lineman Antonio Richardson at No. 16 on the top 32 players for the 2014 draft.  Inevitably, Richardson gave up his final year of eligibility at Tennessee to enter the draft.  And Richardson wasn’t drafted.

Ditto for Florida cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy.  Ranked at No. 19 last year by McShay, Purifoy left school early for the draft.  And Purifoy wasn’t drafted.

Then there’s LSU defensive tackle Anthony Johnson.  He was No. 22 on McShay’s top-32 list last May.  Johnson left school early to enter the draft.  And Johnson wasn’t drafted. - ProFootballTalk

I think the key word was last year

So he is bashing McShay for something he said in 2012 season?

This may be a bit much for some to completely comprehend in a short amount of time, but I think he is bashing McShay for hypocritically trying to point fingers at others who influenced several underclassmen who were not drafted to declare in the first place.

Read the whole article, the entire article isn't about bashing McShay (although it's part of it), it's about the media and agents putting pressure on underclassmen to come out early.

Florio isn't always great, but here I'm in (somewhat) agreement with him.

Read the whole article, the entire article isn't about bashing McShay (although it's part of it), it's about the media and agents putting pressure on underclassmen to come out early.

Florio isn't always great, but here I'm in (somewhat) agreement with him.

That was McShay's argument not Florio

That was McShay's argument not Florio

No it was Florio's...

He was saying that McShay (who is a part of the media) posting those early rankings is part of the reason why these guys come out early.

Also, Florio was going after McShay because of McShay's tweet which was an ironic tweet. Florio didn't put all the blame on McShay lol.

Tiny Richardson's knees must be even worse than we thought

Purify had a bad year plus off field issues.

I had them both as first rounders preseason too. McShay isn't great but it's not his fault here..

As for the pressure for underclassman to declare, Florio is right. I feel bad for the kids, they could have really rehabbed their image, HOWEVER, with players with degenerative injuries such as knees or constant issues, staying might hurt even more long term.

The joist of it is correct though, staying helps, see Lewan, he was thought to have made a mistake, but I think he went to a great situation for him to develop with minimal pressure, and still top 11 pick.

No it was Florio's...

He was saying that McShay (who is a part of the media) posting those early rankings is part of the reason why these guys come out early.

Also, Florio was going after McShay because of McShay's tweet which was an ironic tweet. Florio didn't put all the blame on McShay lol.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has decided in the wake of the 2014 draft to wag a finger at those who had a role in cajoling underclassmen to give up remaining eligibility to enter the NFL, and to not be drafted.

“For those agents/media members selling ’2nd contract’ to these young men, what say you to the 36 of 98 underclassmen not drafted?”

He's quoting McShay

ESPN’s Todd McShay has decided in the wake of the 2014 draft to wag a finger at those who had a role in cajoling underclassmen to give up remaining eligibility to enter the NFL, and to not be drafted.

“For those agents/media members selling ’2nd contract’ to these young men, what say you to the 36 of 98 underclassmen not drafted?”

He's quoting McShay

Yes, he's calling out McShay for the irony in that quote. McShay is saying that, but he's a part of the problem. Had McShay not said that, Florio wouldn't be bashing him. 

The word 'destroys' gets thrown around too much. He makes some solid points, but it's not his fault if some of these kids get overinflated egos and think they're God's gift to football. If they have sub par years they shouldn't declare for the draft. Good football players keep working at it, and Purifoy sucked this year.

That's not a McShay problem.......   that's simply part of the evaluation process.

Florio is busting the balls of an evaluator because of evaluations done 1-year ago?    Give me a freaking break.

That's not only weak -- it's lame.

No one does a good job a year out.   A few years back Logan Thomas was predicted by many to be the #1 pick in the entire draft.  How'd that work out. 

No one bats a thousand in the evaluation business, no matter the sport.   It's part of the job.   And the hacks that take shots at guys like McShay don't get it.    And they'll never get it.    Never.

This is hardly a "destroy" job.    Florio just made a fool of himself.   His ego is just too big to know it.......

Doesn't the NFL have a committee that will tell underclassmen about where they could expect to be drafted if the underclassman asks them?

If the underclassman didn't ask the committee then it's their fault. 

If the committee gave them a bad answer then it's the fault of the committee or the make up of the committee.  

I sort of get it but at the same time as a player you have to be smart enough to know legit sources on where you might end up in the pros verses illegitmate sources.

The TV draftniks arn't a good source of information.

Doesn't the NFL have a committee that will tell underclassmen about where they could expect to be drafted if the underclassman asks them?

If the underclassman didn't ask the committee then it's their fault.

If the committee gave them a bad answer then it's the fault of the committee or the make up of the committee.

I sort of get it but at the same time as a player you have to be smart enough to know legit sources on where you might end up in the pros verses illegitmate sources.

The TV draftniks arn't a good source of information.

The problem with the NFL advisory comittee is that they only give you a projection based on game tape.

The word 'destroys' gets thrown around too much. He makes some solid points, but it's not his fault if some of these kids get overinflated egos and think they're God's gift to football. If they have sub par years they shouldn't declare for the draft. Good football players keep working at it, and Purifoy sucked this year.

And if your injured, you might want to get healthy.  If that means returning to school, so be it.  Here was info I got on Richardson on 5/7/14 - "Richardson didn't have a good Combine. Tennessee failed to qualify for a bowl game, but the junior had a good season. Sources have said that Richardson looks like a first-round pick, but they have concerns about his injuries, specifically a micro-fracture."

Things happen that can cause a high prospect to freefall.  Happens every year, often multiple times.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I was giving Florio a hard time.

My issue wasn't with you. It's with Florio.

Sorry I left that hanging. My bad.

Are you aware of the Mcshay tweet that florio is talking about in this article

Are you aware of the Mcshay tweet that florio is talking about in this article

Not entirely, I'm not on Twitter.    Florio's rant made some reference to a McShay comment...

If you can point me in the right direction -- great -- I'd appreciate it....