Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final 2014 NFL Mock Draft

I really enjoy reading all of the mock drafts everyone has put together. This is my second favorite time of the year (Christmas being first, but the draft is narrowing the gap!) 

I will preface my mock draft by emphasizing my belief that a team can win with solid safety play. I really believe a good safety can be had later in the draft. It is a mistake to reach on a player to fill a need.

59.) Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech

I think there is a chance he is available at 59. I can see a run on QBs early in the 2nd round that may even see a couple teams trade up from the 3rd round. I can reasonably see 8 to 10 QBs get selected before pick 59 and I truly hope that is the case. I think there will also be a healthy run on offensive lineman and wide receivers as well. Attaochu is a tad light at 250 lbs but the man is a warrior who gives 110% every snap. A great pass rusher who could learn a great deal from Mathis. We cannot keep relying so heavily on Mathis. If Werner improves as well, our pass rush would be MUCH better in 2014. 

108.) Antone Exum CB/S Virginia Tech

I think there will be healthy interest in pick 90. I could see the last few second tier receivers being available and a team like the Vikings having some interest in the pick. Perhaps the Vikes trade up to get a Paul Richardson or Jarvis Landry to team with Patterson. I really like Exum. He played safety at Virginia Tech before switching to corner. He has great size at 6'0" 220 lbs. Solid in coverage. Good but not great speed, he ran his forty in the 4.5's 

TRADE NOTE: Trade pick #90 for pick #108, pick #148, and pick #223

148.) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

The top player in Canada and likely first pick in the CFL draft. He may not make it out of the 4th round. He is a versatile lineman that can come in and compete. He has a high ceiling, could end up being a steal in the 5th round. Will likely compete at guard but backup the tackle spots. Remember that Cherilus has a gimpy knee. I would like to see us add one lineman in this draft.

166.) Tyler Larsen C Utah State 

I know, two offensive linemen for a team with defensive needs. Larsen would be too good to pass up at this point. Larsen would actually provide solid competition at center and allow Thomas to focus on playing guard. I am still not sold that Thomas is 100% healthy. I am more concerned about the offensive line than most. If Luck keeps taking the hit load he has received his first two years, he will get hurt.  

203.) Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

A player who would have been drafted higher if not for an injury to his shoulder. Decent size at 5'10" and roughly 200 lbs. Fast, ran in the 4.4's at his pro day. A guy that can come in and compete, that is about all you can ask for from a 6th round pick.

223.) Bruce Gaston DT Purdue

Stats tapered off last year with Kawann Short in the NFL, but there was such a lack of talent on Purdue last year it was disturbing. Gaston and Ricardo Allen were solid, but when everyone else is terrible (especially on offense) there is not much you can do. Gaston can come in and compete. He has good size and athleticism. 

232.) Isaiah Crowell RB Alabama State

I realize that RB is far from a need, but I would love to see this guy come in and compete. He was tremendous at Georgia before making some bad decisions. If he can keep his head on straight and show that he has matured and grown from his past mistakes, he could surprise. I think he drops based on his history, but he could prove to be a great pick. 

NOTES: 

Personally, I am not as big of a fan of Terrence Brooks as most seem to be. I feel he is a reach as a second round pick. I feel that the talent of the Florida State defense made Brooks look better than he really was (see Dee Milliner last year). However, if I was a betting man, I would put money on the Colts drafting Brooks. 

I really enjoy reading all of the mock drafts everyone has put together. This is my second favorite time of the year (Christmas being first, but the draft is narrowing the gap!) 

I will preface my mock draft by emphasizing my belief that a team can win with solid safety play. I really believe a good safety can be had later in the draft. It is a mistake to reach on a player to fill a need.

59.) Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech

I think there is a chance he is available at 59. I can see a run on QBs early in the 2nd round that may even see a couple teams trade up from the 3rd round. I can reasonably see 8 to 10 QBs get selected before pick 59 and I truly hope that is the case. I think there will also be a healthy run on offensive lineman and wide receivers as well. Attaochu is a tad light at 250 lbs but the man is a warrior who gives 110% every snap. A great pass rusher who could learn a great deal from Mathis. We cannot keep relying so heavily on Mathis. If Werner improves as well, our pass rush would be MUCH better in 2014. 

108.) Antone Exum CB/S Virginia Tech

I think there will be healthy interest in pick 90. I could see the last few second tier receivers being available and a team like the Vikings having some interest in the pick. Perhaps the Vikes trade up to get a Paul Richardson or Jarvis Landry to team with Patterson. I really like Exum. He played safety at Virginia Tech before switching to corner. He has great size at 6'0" 220 lbs. Solid in coverage. Good but not great speed, he ran his forty in the 4.5's 

TRADE NOTE: Trade pick #90 for pick #108, pick #148, and pick #223

148.) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

The top player in Canada and likely first pick in the CFL draft. He may not make it out of the 4th round. He is a versatile lineman that can come in and compete. He has a high ceiling, could end up being a steal in the 5th round. Will likely compete at guard but backup the tackle spots. Remember that Cherilus has a gimpy knee. I would like to see us add one lineman in this draft.

166.) Tyler Larsen C Utah State 

I know, two offensive linemen for a team with defensive needs. Larsen would be too good to pass up at this point. Larsen would actually provide solid competition at center and allow Thomas to focus on playing guard. I am still not sold that Thomas is 100% healthy. I am more concerned about the offensive line than most. If Luck keeps taking the hit load he has received his first two years, he will get hurt.  

203.) Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

A player who would have been drafted higher if not for an injury to his shoulder. Decent size at 5'10" and roughly 200 lbs. Fast, ran in the 4.4's at his pro day. A guy that can come in and compete, that is about all you can ask for from a 6th round pick.

223.) Bruce Gaston DT Purdue

Stats tapered off last year with Kawann Short in the NFL, but there was such a lack of talent on Purdue last year it was disturbing. Gaston and Ricardo Allen were solid, but when everyone else is terrible (especially on offense) there is not much you can do. Gaston can come in and compete. He has good size and athleticism. 

232.) Isaiah Crowell RB Alabama State

I realize that RB is far from a need, but I would love to see this guy come in and compete. He was tremendous at Georgia before making some bad decisions. If he can keep his head on straight and show that he has matured and grown from his past mistakes, he could surprise. I think he drops based on his history, but he could prove to be a great pick. 

NOTES: 

Personally, I am not as big of a fan of Terrence Brooks as most seem to be. I feel he is a reach as a second round pick. I feel that the talent of the Florida State defense made Brooks look better than he really was (see Dee Milliner last year). However, if I was a betting man, I would put money on the Colts drafting Brooks. 

I don't think we take Brooks. I am with you tackling and being able to make plays to get off the field when the chance is there are important to me.

I like it, just wondering though, do you plan on trusting Antonie Exum at S? I'd prefer if we atleast drafted another S in rounds 5 or 6.

I would be perfectly fine with Exum at Free Safety. In fact, that would be the position for which I would draft him. I view his experience at corner as a bonus, making him a versatile addition. I would consider another safety if someone represented good value. We still have Delano Howell as depth, and he may very well end up starting. I really like Howell.