Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seth Lobato, QB, Northern Colorado

So help me,  if Grigson used a draft pick to take Lobato rather than sign him as a free agent after the draft,  I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist upon him under-doing a Lobotomy (or should that be a Lobatomy?!)  for that transgression of a transaction!!

NFL.com didn't have him listed anywhere....

And ESPN.com listed him as the 59th QB out of 85.

This is the text book definition of a Free Agent!!

So help me,  if Grigson used a draft pick to take Lobato rather than sign him as a free agent after the draft,  I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist upon him under-doing a Lobotomy (or should that be a Lobatomy?!)  for that transgression of a transaction!!

Only if it doesn't reflect how other teams see him. Ratings vary so widely, especially at the bottom, that I don't think there is a gospel on a players value. Mike Mitchell was a similar situation a few years ago. Everyone was surprised to see him go to the Raiders in the second, but it turned out later that the Bears were supposedly targeting him two picks later. The Bears traded down afterwards. It was later reported some other teams had a third round grade on him.

Only if it doesn't reflect how other teams see him. Ratings vary so widely, especially at the bottom, that I don't think there is a gospel on a players value. Mike Mitchell was a similar situation a few years ago. Everyone was surprised to see him go to the Raiders in the second, but it turned out later that the Bears were supposedly targeting him two picks later. The Bears traded down afterwards. It was later reported some other teams had a third round grade on him.

There's a huge difference between whether a player is valued a 1st round guy or a 3rd round guy.

Or between a 2nd and a 4th.

But the free agent guys typically aren't hard to find.

If these scouting services can find players from all sorts of small schools that are going to be drafted as they have, and we've all talked about these guys all winter......   then when a name shows up that one scouting service doesn't have at all,  and the other has him at 59th out of 85 and roughly only about 12 or so QB's are going to be drafted all all,   then it doesn't take much to figure out this guy is a free agent.

I agree, but I assume him being brought in for a workout means he is being looked at as a UDFA. QB should be the last position we consider drafting this year....even if Manziel were somehow there in the 7th I'd still be mad for using a draft pick on a QB.

There's a huge difference between whether a player is valued a 1st round guy or a 3rd round guy.

Or between a 2nd and a 4th.

But the free agent guys typically aren't hard to find.

If these scouting services can find players from all sorts of small schools that are going to be drafted as they have, and we've all talked about these guys all winter......   then when a name shows up that one scouting service doesn't have at all,  and the other has him at 59th out of 85 and roughly only about 12 or so QB's are going to be drafted all all,   then it doesn't take much to figure out this guy is a free agent.

TEAMS had the guy rated in the 3rd, not scout services. Go back and look at any 2009 draft guides you can find and find Mike Mitchell. You're not likely to see him at all, as nearly every draft scout outside the NFL had him as, at best, a 6th round pick, and more commonly, as a UDFA. Kiper had him rated as the 79th safety on his board while, as I stated, the Bears wanted him in the second and others wanted him in the third.

There are players every year that get drafted who have undraftable grades by some services. Alan Bonner comes to mind, as he was a 6th round pick by the Jags last year who was the 80-90th ranked WR by DraftScout. The services aren't perfect and the value to a team is entirely different than the value to a drafting service. They can be very close in value, but some guys fall way further every year while other no names get drafted.

I'm not stating at all that Lobato is going to be the Colts guy or that he'll even be drafted. He probably won't be. Rather, I'm stating that draft guides are far from perfect and often miss out on some players who are drafted every year. It never fails. It is not a fault of the services, as we are talking about several hundred players who are draft eligible each year and only so much time to dedicate to each prospect. Think about it: A draft service HAS to have all of the big names that are most popular (with room for some sleepers and lesser guys), because they are selling a product to everyone that wants it/pays for it. A team does not have to rank by a perceived absolute value, as they are fitting to scheme and trying to unearth some gems. Team grades and scout grades are draft because they have to consider different things.

An interesting aside is Da'Rick Rogers. Listed as high as a third, but almost no scout service would have pegged him as a free agent. They apparently can be hard to spot.

take a couple of these bro

chillp10.jpg

where did it say anything at all about a draft pick for this guy?  Grigson spoke in his press conference about being excited about the UDFA period after the draft.  If this guy isn't ranked anywhere then this could very well be a guy that Grigson is considering signing as an UDFA.  No where does it suggest that Grigson is thinking about drafting this guy.

TEAMS had the guy rated in the 3rd, not scout services. Go back and look at any 2009 draft guides you can find and find Mike Mitchell. You're not likely to see him at all, as nearly every draft scout outside the NFL had him as, at best, a 6th round pick, and more commonly, as a UDFA. Kiper had him rated as the 79th safety on his board while, as I stated, the Bears wanted him in the second and others wanted him in the third.

There are players every year that get drafted who have undraftable grades by some services. Alan Bonner comes to mind, as he was a 6th round pick by the Jags last year who was the 80-90th ranked WR by DraftScout. The services aren't perfect and the value to a team is entirely different than the value to a drafting service. They can be very close in value, but some guys fall way further every year while other no names get drafted.

I'm not stating at all that Lobato is going to be the Colts guy or that he'll even be drafted. He probably won't be. Rather, I'm stating that draft guides are far from perfect and often miss out on some players who are drafted every year. It never fails. It is not a fault of the services, as we are talking about several hundred players who are draft eligible each year and only so much time to dedicate to each prospect. Think about it: A draft service HAS to have all of the big names that are most popular (with room for some sleepers and lesser guys), because they are selling a product to everyone that wants it/pays for it. A team does not have to rank by a perceived absolute value, as they are fitting to scheme and trying to unearth some gems. Team grades and scout grades are draft because they have to consider different things.

An interesting aside is Da'Rick Rogers. Listed as high as a third, but almost no scout service would have pegged him as a free agent. They apparently can be hard to spot.

Oh, goodness gracious.

Da'Rick Rogers?      He was a 3rd round talent.    He had a draftable grade.    He wasn't drafted due to character issues both off and on the field.

Please don't put DaRick rogers and this unknown QB from an unknown school in the same explanation.    Those two examples are not the same.     They're not even close to the same.

Teams can disagree all they want on the grades of draftable players.

But this kid from Nowhere State is not a draftable kid.

Your general attitude appears to be you can never be surprised over anything because anyone can get drafted anywhere at any time.      Hey,  Clowney might go undrafted,  we never know!    Mack might go undrafted,  we never know!    Watkins might go undrafted,  we never know!

Come on now........   at some point,  we've got a pretty good idea of what's going to happen.

Are there flukes in every draft -- sure.    but just because you can't get everyone right doesn't mean people don't have some pretty good idea who what's going to happen.....

take a couple of these bro

chillp10.jpg

where did it say anything at all about a draft pick for this guy?  Grigson spoke in his press conference about being excited about the UDFA period after the draft.  If this guy isn't ranked anywhere then this could very well be a guy that Grigson is considering signing as an UDFA.  No where does it suggest that Grigson is thinking about drafting this guy.

I guess I should've followed my own advice....   use the emoticons.....

I was going for a joke.     The guys name is Lobato.    That's why I called for Grigson to get a Lobatomy if he drafted him.

Lobato.    Lobatomy?!?! 

I'm sorry I didn't make my joke more obvious.     My bad.    

No need for any chill pills.

Oh, goodness gracious.

Da'Rick Rogers?      He was a 3rd round talent.    He had a draftable grade.    He wasn't drafted due to character issues both off and on the field.

Please don't put DaRick rogers and this unknown QB from an unknown school in the same explanation.    Those two examples are not the same.     They're not even close to the same.

Teams can disagree all they want on the grades of draftable players.

But this kid from Nowhere State is not a draftable kid.

Your general attitude appears to be you can never be surprised over anything because anyone can get drafted anywhere at any time.      Hey,  Clowney might go undrafted,  we never know!    Mack might go undrafted,  we never know!    Watkins might go undrafted,  we never know!

Come on now........   at some point,  we've got a pretty good idea of what's going to happen.

Are there flukes in every draft -- sure.    but just because you can't get everyone right doesn't mean people don't have some pretty good idea who what's going to happen.....

Totally. Talking about a small school kid getting drafted period is the same as saying Clowney might not get drafted. That is honestly 100% what I believe. Totes. I also totally think no one has a good idea what is going to happen. Absolutely.

Feel free to accurately represent something I've said some time. It'd be a treat.

Rogers was an aside, as I mentioned. The point is that sometimes teams see things differently than scouts. Rogers talents is and was high, he just had a huge flaw that teams clearly did not want to take the chance on in the draft proper. The point is, and remains, that media scouts will see things one way and the entire NFL will occasionally see things another. Commonly? Not necessarily. But it happens, and especially in the later rounds.  It's not a knock, it's a reality.

Some kids have enough talent to get drafted but just aren't looked at by media scouts, who are selling a service to the consumer, as opposed to team scouts, who are buying a talent on a market. The media scouts want to get us informed on overall draft position, team scouts have to combine that with their own board, which can make some guys appear widely different. Why you believe that MEDIA scouts determine who is and is not draftable compared to NFL scouts is a mystery to me.

Totally. Talking about a small school kid getting drafted period is the same as saying Clowney might not get drafted. That is honestly 100% what I believe. Totes. I also totally think no one has a good idea what is going to happen. Absolutely.

Feel free to accurately represent something I've said some time. It'd be a treat.

Rogers was an aside, as I mentioned. The point is that sometimes teams see things differently than scouts. Rogers talents is and was high, he just had a huge flaw that teams clearly did not want to take the chance on in the draft proper. The point is, and remains, that media scouts will see things one way and the entire NFL will occasionally see things another. Commonly? Not necessarily. But it happens, and especially in the later rounds.  It's not a knock, it's a reality.

Some kids have enough talent to get drafted but just aren't looked at by media scouts, who are selling a service to the consumer, as opposed to team scouts, who are buying a talent on a market. The media scouts want to get us informed on overall draft position, team scouts have to combine that with their own board, which can make some guys appear widely different. Why you believe that MEDIA scouts determine who is and is not draftable compared to NFL scouts is a mystery to me.

That's not what I believe.    It's not even close to what I believe.

But you and I not only don't see the same thing the same,  (which is fine) we have a terrible time communicating with each other.

(which is not fine)     We talk right past each other...

I apparently have no idea what you're saying.    And I don't think you have any idea what I'm saying.

This is not a love connection.