Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian De La Puente-who will sign him?

Just thought I would put a quick note out. Zach Strief, NO RT was signed today to I believe a 5 yr. contract. Nothing huge, averaging about 4.1/ year, and 8.5M guaranteed. The important point is the Saints were only 1.7M under the cap. With this signing, they won't be signing any other FA's it would seem since they are going to have to do major restructures if they want to sign Graham to a long term deal. I think he will be paid franchise money for one year myself. Regardless, the point is DeLaPuente is still out there available on the market. Does it say something about him still being available? Just thought I would update since C is considered our biggest weakness as of now. Of course Grigs may not think so, and Holmes is his man.

i wish we would bring him in and get a deal done before the giants or some other team nabs him. ill be very confused if we don't at least attempt to sign him we need a real starting center with talent. De la Puente is great in pass protecting and i think his run blocking will improve next to donald thomas and whoever we start at RG (personally i hope Lance Louis impresses and takes over that spot because Thornton did not impress me at all last year). but if we could get De La Puente signed our o line would get an instant upgrade i still think we'll be looking at the secondary and the o line when it comes to the draft but let's get the deal done and make Brian a Colt! In Grigs I Trust Go Colts!

:hat::rantoff:

I'm guessing Grigson must not think too highly of the current FA Center crop aside from Mack. Evan Dietrich-Smith signed pretty cheap in Tampa Bay and De La Puente wasn't signed where as Phil Costa was. Supposedly there's been interest in Mack, who will come with a big price tag if at all. But I never heard anything about the Colts showing any interest in EDS or BDLP. Both of those guys come from teams with strong guard play and maybe Grigson feels that they looked better than they really are because of it. 

On the plus side, I think if we do somehow get Mack we will instantly vault into the top strata of NFL offenses. We're already close (just because Luck is such a great QB) but if we got Mack our run game would be solidified too which is what we really need now. I wouldn't mind spending a pretty good sum on Mack because I think just adding that one top interior lineman will make such a difference in our run game (and improve pass protection). If we pick up Mack in free agency and draft a FS I'll be very satisfied with this off-season. 

Go to a Saints Forum.

#1 Just like EDS, BDLP has been playing between 2 very good guards

#2 Fans -  BDLP is not a road grader in the run.
#3 Fans say Brees has problems stepping up because BDLP is being pushed deep in the pocket.

Sounds like he is OK, for cheap, but the draft sounds OK with them too.

Will Montgomery is visiting the Broncos, and once he signs, we will have an idea whether any bars have been re-set.

Unlike the Colts though, the Broncos only have room for a tier 2 center like him while the Colts have the room to seriously give up double digit average money to Alex Mack.

The longer DLP stays in the market, the greater the chance that he signs a low cost deal to stay in NO.  The hand of the market is talking. It is saying that very few of the available centers have physical ability of a difference-making nature.  Maybe the market is waiting on Mack, but I doubt it.  Teams clearly prefer to develop the center position a little differently than we, as fans, are looking for them too, and they are unwilling to pay a premium for average physical talent.

I've wondered all along why people here thought this guy was worth signing for us. He's not the type of center we need, he's not a good run blocker at all and is not strong. This guy wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Satele and its obvious the Colts think that too. I myself would much rather go with Costa and Holmes over BDLP.