Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time To Give Orlovsky A Start?

oldunclemark

In answer to the unspoken question.. THIS is why we signed Kerry Collins...

I think we can all agree it may be time to give Dan Orlovsky a start...

We're basically auditioning our backup for 2012..

Give Orlovsky a chance against a beatable opponent and lets see..

Curtis is trying but he's is 0-6 now

..and Tim Tebow passed for more yards Sunday

In answer to the unspoken question.. THIS is why we signed Kerry Collins...

I think we can all agree it may be time to give Dan Orlovsky a start...

We're basically auditioning our backup for 2012..

Give Orlovsky a chance against a beatable opponent and lets see..

Curtis is trying but he's is 0-6 now

..and Tim Tebow passed for more yards Sunday

painter cant generate tds, give next man up a chance

Its amazing how much Painter has regressed over the weeks

He was decent at best at the beginning but now it's just sad.

,,and KING..I dont understand.

He has no more than average pressure.

Its his job....///Manning's nowhere near returning..and Orlovsky is hjust happy to be here..

Collins is gone... Painter's teammates support him vocally...especially his top receievers Reggie and Pierre

I agree ..I feel sad when I watch him.....a little like Tebow...

They just cant get it done..

In your other related post I criticized Painter, but that doesn't mean that I want to see Orlovsky. Not even a little bit. I assumed that there would be lots of ups and downs in Painter's play. You don't get past that by sitting him. This isn't about winning, it's about developing Painter as a backup. However ineffective he has become, I've seen a ton more potential out of him than I've ever seen from Orlovsky (dating back to rooting for the poor Lions to pull something out of the hat). He may possibly be more confident at the moment, but there is no upside, no room for development. Playing him is a waste of time.

I hate to say I told you so, but....

Back when the Colts re-signed Orlovsky,

I posted on this board, that it would only be a matter of time, till the day comes, when the fans would be calling for "Dan O" to start.

I simply thought that Orlovsky looked better in pre season than Painter and I felt he was the better option at QB.

But I was ridiculed and told that I didnt know squat. That it was obvious, how Painter was so much better than Orlovsky!

Well based on the title of this topic, (and Painter's recent performances)... That day has come.

Edited by 1959Colts

Why not? It seems that Curtis is unfortunately who we thought we was.

I mean, I'm sure we can manage to keep the same standard of offensive production with Orlofsky we have with Painter.

The only down side is that if he does provide a spark it will jack up our draft position. (that's a joke btw. Well sort of.)

Its amazing how much Painter has regressed over the weeks

He was decent at best at the beginning but now it's just sad.

He cannot complete an out route which is a basic pass for an NFL QB.He is not a pro caliber QB period. Edited by mahagga73

Andy...you want to see what we saw against Atlanta again......?

Who would get hurt by giving Orlovsky a start...??

we're in 32nd place in a 32-team league

Well thats the problem, we need more teams in the NFL so maybe our 32nd won't look so bad.

Andy...you want to see what we saw against Atlanta again......?

Who would get hurt by giving Orlovsky a start...??

we're in 32nd place in a 32-team league

What have you seen from Orlovsky that has impressed you? Curtis Painter has had some good games, and they're hoping he can return to that. Orlovsky doesn't know the offense as well as Painter, and he doesn't have the skills like Painter.

What have you seen from Orlovsky that has impressed you? Curtis Painter has had some good games, and they're hoping he can return to that. Orlovsky doesn't know the offense as well as Painter, and he doesn't have the skills like Painter.

What have you seen from Curtis that has impressed you..

We make changes at other positions (corner, HB)....Lets try it..

I havent seen Orlovsky start.

He knows more of the offense than Kerry Collins did...

...There's nothing to lose.

Painter has skills.LOLLLLLLLL.He can't complete a simple outroute

What have you seen from Curtis that has impressed you..

We make changes at other positions (corner, HB)....Lets try it..

I havent seen Orlovsky start.

He knows more of the offense than Kerry Collins did...

...There's nothing to lose.

Painter has skills.LOLLLLLLLL.He can't complete a simple outroute

Ohhh, only 2 great performances against the Bucs and the Chiefs, plus a gritty one vs the Bengals. He hasn't played well lately, but that doesn't mean to give up on him. He's better than Orlovsky. We've all seen Orlovsky in Detroit and that went badly, and we've seen him in the preseason and he did nothing special. Painter is still the best option as it stands right now.

I'm not saying he has a tremendous amount of skills, but he puts zip on the ball, he's quite accurate on the long passes, plus he's great on slants and screen passes. I'm not saying he's God, but he's the best option we have now.

Ohhh, only 2 great performances against the Bucs and the Chiefs, plus a gritty one vs the Bengals. He hasn't played well lately, but that doesn't mean to give up on him. He's better than Orlovsky. We've all seen Orlovsky in Detroit and that went badly, and we've seen him in the preseason and he did nothing special. Painter is still the best option as it stands right now.

I'm not saying he has a tremendous amount of skills, but he puts zip on the ball, he's quite accurate on the long passes, plus he's great on slants and screen passes. I'm not saying he's God, but he's the best option we have now.

I dont want to give up on him

Just give the other guy a start...and use painter in relief if he fails..

If you're doing nothing and you make no changes..nothing is what you'll get.

I dont want to give up on him

Just give the other guy a start...and use painter in relief if he fails..

If you're doing nothing and you make no changes..nothing is what you'll get.

Who said that we're giving up on him, he's still on the team, and he's still taking reps. Orlovsky is a good reliever, but that's it. He shouldn't be starting games or before you know we'll be like the 2008 Lions. Curtis Painter needs to keep his confidence up, and benching him won't help.

Who said that we're giving up on him, he's still on the team, and he's still taking reps. Orlovsky is a good reliever, but that's it. He shouldn't be starting games or before you know we'll be like the 2008 Lions. Curtis Painter needs to keep his confidence up, and benching him won't help.

Andy..I was talking about Painter...not Orlovsky..

YOU said to me "He (Curtis) hasn't played well lately, but that doesn't mean to give up on him. He's better than Orlovsky.

I'm saying that giving Orlovsky on estart is not giving up on Painter.

That's what I meant..

I'm not going to brand Orlovsky for what he was 3 years ago..That's not fair..

We need a spark..The goal is not to go 0-16.

I'd start Orlovsky...to try to spark us..We have not seen enough of him in a Colts uniform to know what will happen, right?

It's absolutely time to bench Painter. I watched him thoroughly today from my seat up in 624, the stripe on his helmet lined up exactly with the receiver he eventually threw it to from the snap to his follow through. He's back to staring down his receivers, no question about it.

I'd like to see what Orlovsky can do...I've seen what Painter can do, and it stinks to high heaven.,

I hate to say I told you so, but....

Back when the Colts re-signed Orlovsky,

I posted on this board, that it would only be a matter of time, till the day comes, when the fans would be calling for "Dan O" to start.

I simply thought that Orlovsky looked better in pre season than Painter and I felt he was the better option at QB.

But I was ridiculed and told that I didnt know squat. That it was obvious, how Painter was so much better than Orlovsky!

Well based on the title of this topic, (and Painter's recent performances)... That day has come.

Actually I suspect that you don't "hate to say it" at all. You're surely striking while the iron is hot.

It's not so bold to predict that fans will turn on a player quicker than they'll turn the channel on their tv. It's par for the course, and no one is surprised to see this thread. This is what fans do.

What IS surprising is to read a "I told you so" post from someone who seems to suggest that EVERYONE loved Painter except for him. Actually somewhere in the neighborhood of 98.72% of the posters (approximately) didn't like Painter. The outpouring was loud, constant, crude, and irrational. I'm guessing that the primary point of your post is that you are a fan of Orlovsky. If so I certainly understand how pleased you must feel that the three posters before you are now asking to see him. Please understand, however, that this has a lot less to do with them liking Orlovsky, it's just that they were all part of the 98.72% and they've just spun in their chairs once again. Actually it's possible that they never spun in the first place. They aren't calling for Orlovsky, they're calling for "anybody but Painter".

I liked Painter then, and I like Painter now. Anyone not expecting ups and downs from a new QB is kidding himself. I will acknowledge that he has been ineffective the last two games, how about acknowledging that on numerous occasions he has shown skills that Orlovsky can only dream about. The goal is to get him to play with confidence and consistency. Yanking him accomplishes absolutely nothing besides damaging him further.

No reason not to. Can't get any worse!!! Heck, I'm up for bringing in Jeff George and letting him play. Curtis Painter is so bad, I don't think it could get worse. I honestly never understood why we didn't bring Jim Sorgi back, who looks like Joe Montana compared to Curtis Painter.

I guess what I want to see from the Colts the next seven games is to try SOMETHING different to show they want to win. Don't keep playing the same players, same setup, and expect a different result.

I would have to give a big NO to starting Dan. Let me ask these questions to everyone....with the somewhat alright running game with Brown today...where was the play-action pass? Painter can run a no-huddle....why don't we go to it?

Sure, Painter needs to learn the touch pass, over time he will....just like the other things, like learning to step up into the pocket to avoid a rush....but this play does not dictate him being benched.

It all comes down to coaching....where does a team start? With it's coaching staff.

Being a Purdue fan...I stick behind the guy. And I will also blame the guy when I see bad play out of him....and while I have over the recent weeks...you can't tell me it is all Painter. He can only run the plays he is given, he's not Manning to where he can call his own play.

I AM of the 1.28% that wanted Painter to start and not get Kerry MOD EDIT Collins.

Has everyone gone blind to the way the game day plan has changed over the weeks? Forgotten that the games that we were leading going into half time to all of a sudden do a 180 on the type of plays?

And WOW...this thread really turned into the "I hate Painter and let's kill him"

Orlovsky has not looked any better in his limited action. I think we benefit more from letting Painter play and learn. He still knows the system the best of anyone and has flashes where the offense looks okay because of that. I think if we went to Orvlosky it would look a lot like Collins where the whole offense just looks out of whack and isn't doing anything. At least with Painter they do something now and then.

FWIW, this Purdue Alumni (class of '93) doesn't share your optimism on Painter. In the brief period of time that Dan was in today, he looked a lot more comfy in the pocket and if not for some ham handed receivers, would have had some nice completions.

I must not have seen the same Colts-Falcons game as you....I didn't see anything noteworthy out of Dan....but then again....maybe he was getting the same play calling? I can say with 95% certainty....get better coaching and Painter would be better.

I must not have seen the same Colts-Falcons game as you....I didn't see anything noteworthy out of Dan....but then again....maybe he was getting the same play calling? I can say with 95% certainty....get better coaching and Painter would be better.

Getting better coaching for Painter is not gonna help anything...the man is a career backup/PS player at best and it's showing. He was drafted to stand on the sidelines and hold a clipboard...not actually play. Why do you think the Colts brought in Collins at the beginning of the season instead of put Painter in? They had no confidence in his ability to lead an NFL team to even ONE win.

At least the few drives that Orlovsky was in he showed a little bit of accuracy...ya know...actually throwing it right to where the receivers were...instead of behind/in front/over/in the dirt like Painter. Saying Painter is accurate makes me laugh.

As for first round draft pick: I hope and pray we do not get Andrew Luck. Use the top draft pick as a trade to get a top 10 pick in 2012 with maybe a 3rd rounder....but add a 2nd & 4th for the years 2013 &14

yeah,let's pass on a franchise QB,which is everything in the NFL,sowe can have a bad QB and great D.What is wrong with you?

I hate to break this to you, but we already are.