Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Twitter Fun - Sherman and Wells

Zachris

I did not. What I said was that he shuts down one side of the field. He's the best CB in the game today.

He's the least targeted CB in the NFL, but still leads the league in INT's Both of those are facts.

i was addressing more the part where you said he gets no help at all. I get that he gets a lot of INTs despite how little hes targeted, but he does get help at some point. Whether its from earl thomas or pass rush.

I don't know to be honest. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but Sherman does not always cover the best receiver because the Seattle secondary is so good. And he seems to get beat at times - bad. The colts game is a great example and also the Atlanta playoff game last year.

Sherman covers the left side of the field no matter who lines up there.  He also covers the left side with no help.  And he rarely gets beat and when he does, it isn't deep. 

Revising history seems to be a virus on NFL message boards everywhere.

Did you know if you mention Hilton beating Sherman on Twitter, he will block you!  haha  I thought he would give Hilton credit, but instead he just blocks you.

If you haven't seen, @fakebradwells started today!  Awesome!  Add the person!

In a way, he is giving Hilton a ton of credit..He's scared to admit the truth, so, instead of admitting he got burnt, he chooses to avoid the question...

I probably watched about 10% of all games played, so kind of hard to say who is the best. He plays in a mighty fine backfield for sure though, to which he certainly contributes.

I'm not sure of the need to try and label people as 'the best' at every position in the NFL. Impossible and pointless.

I probably watched about 10% of all games played, so kind of hard to say who is the best. He plays in a mighty fine backfield for sure though, to which he certainly contributes.

I'm not sure of the need to try and label people as 'the best' at every position in the NFL. Impossible and pointless.

It's not impossible to determine if someone is the best at their position. Is it pointless? No more pointless than anything else to do with athletic endeavors. After all, a fans life is not enriched or penalized based on the successes or failures of the home team.

It's not impossible to determine if someone is the best at their position. Is it pointless? No more pointless than anything else to do with athletic endeavors. After all, a fans life is not enriched or penalized based on the successes or failures of the home team.

It is impossible. But I'm happy to be educated. Please show me your magic formula for doing this, in a team game. Tennis, Golf, Athletics etc, perhaps it's possible, but there is no such thing as a World Championship of Left Tackle...etc

Sherman covers the left side of the field no matter who lines up there.  He also covers the left side with no help.  And he rarely gets beat and when he does, it isn't deep. 

Revising history seems to be a virus on NFL message boards everywhere.

He gets help. Every CB does. He also plays with best DBs in the game and has a monster pass rush in front of him.

It is impossible. But I'm happy to be educated. Please show me your magic formula for doing this, in a team game. Tennis, Golf, Athletics etc, perhaps it's possible, but there is no such thing as a World Championship of Left Tackle...etc

If there was John Inverdale would present it I'm sure. 

I agree by the way, in a team sport obviously certain positions have more impact than others but it's a futile exercise really to try and rank who is the best player as it will always have a degree of personal opinion to it. Even say when there is a out and out statistical leader I'm sure someone will find the argument that "X" was a better player but had his career cut short by injury etc etc. 

To the topic in hand, Sherman is darn good and very entertaining (to a point), but when you look at the D he's been playing in you have to factor that in to the discussion somewhat. The talent at their disposal last year was frankly ridiculous. Put him in our backfield with only a Matthis pass rush and I think he wouldn't look nearly as good. 

To the topic in hand, Sherman is darn good and very entertaining (to a point), but when you look at the D he's been playing in you have to factor that in to the discussion somewhat.

He's a big part of the reason that defense is so good. That must be "factored" in too.

He's a big part of the reason that defense is so good. That must be "factored" in too.

Well yeah... I'm fairly sure I said I think he's very very good, but if you don't think having that crazy depth of pass rushers, pro bowl safeties and a decent #2 corner helps then I'm not sure what to say. I stand by my statement that put him on a lesser team and he wouldn't perform as well, but that's true for all DBs.

Well yeah... I'm fairly sure I said I think he's very very good, but if you don't think having that crazy depth of pass rushers, pro bowl safeties and a decent #2 corner helps then I'm not sure what to say. I stand by my statement that put him on a lesser team and he wouldn't perform as well, but that's true for all DBs.

He would perform just as well. Maybe even more dominant than he is now. If he was on another team with lesser players around him he would be targeted even less than he is now.

He would perform just as well. Maybe even more dominant than he is now. If he was on another team with lesser players around him he would be targeted even less than he is now.

With respect I think that's a fallacy, no matter how good your DBs are with no pass rush they will eventually get beat if the QB has all day back there.

Not getting targeted because there are easier options is more a reflection of others' talent rather than your own.

He would be forced to follow the best player all over the field if he was on a lesser team and be targeted more with less picks and passes defensed most likely. And he would not have the help of one of the best pass rushes either.

What does it say when a CB is the least targeted in the NFL, but still leads the NFL in interceptions?

That's not quite what we were talking about as we'd gone down the idea of if was not a Seahawks. While impressive it was still achieved on a totally stacked D.

I'm not saying he's not a great player at all just he wouldn't be as effective on another weaker D but that runs for any CB.

I think he'd be more dominant on another defense where an offense could simply ignore him and attack elsewhere all the time. As it is with Seattle, they don't have that guy you can pick on and be successful against all the time.