Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So If We Opt Out Of Manning's Contract, What Happens Then?

mightisright

So let's say that Manning is recovering but still not cleared to practice in Feb. Or not fully able to give the team an idea of whether the nerve is going to regenerate enough to play. At that point, he's basically told us to cut him, according to the quotes I've seen around here.

Option 1: We renegotiate a new much more cap friendly contract with him in free agency.

Option 2: Will the Jets or one of those perennially "on the verge" teams with unreliable QB's give him a try? I think Rex Ryan would give his left leg for even a chance at an eventually healthy Manning. So would Baltimore.

Option 3: Manning retires?

I have a hard time seeing the possibility of option 3. Seems to me like Manning will exhaust every option open to him before he retires. That's just my opinion, knowing how much he LOVES this game. What do you all think? Are there other possibilities I haven't thought of?

Can we just resign him in free agency if we opt out of his contract? I don't know the free agency rules.

Edited by Coltssouth

In my humble opinion, unless Peyton decides to retire, we have to exercise our option and keep him. He is worth FAR more to all of Indy, (not just football) than any 28million. Irsay certainly can afford it and I'm sure we could figure out the cap stuff somehow. Peyton has to be a Colt for life. Besides, rumor had it that he was the one who convinced Reggie Miller not to entertain any more thoughts of joining the Boston Celts, so I'm real sure Peyton has a very deep loyalty for Indy and the Colts as well. GO COLTS. Win one for the Peyton.

yeah, but everything I've heard says Peyton won't know if he's going to recover for at least 6-12 months from the surgery. I doubt he'll retire until he knows for sure that he's not going to fully heal. The problem is that we don't have 12 months from the time of the surgery to make these decisions.

I love the fact that Manning has been extremely classy with this whole ordeal. What other NFL player who can write his own ticket gives hit team out an an forfeit the rest of a 90 million dollar contract on principles? What I do hope for is that there is a clear decision either way because I would hate to see this team and Manning be caught in a quandry and be on the wrong side of the choice. If Manning has to be cut because the neck isn't right at that time and then becomes better in the later part of the year, and the Colts have selected Luck, would Manning come back under the same structured contract or would the Colts even be able to pull that off? On the other side, lets say the Colts decide to be blindly faithfull to Manning and stay on the contract even though Manning hasn't progressed and he does not work out, that has major effects on the Colts cap and the teams ability to move on post Manning era. The team has to be on the right side of whatever decision is made for the team to be viable in the quickest amount of time, otherwise the team will suffer a fanbase loss if they are brought back to pre-Manning years. Sooooo much rides on getting this right with Manning and Manning alone. I hope Manning is able to come back and perform at his pre surgical level over all though and the decision is made before the season is up because he will get to practice and ease our minds.

I love the fact that Manning has been extremely classy with this whole ordeal. What other NFL player who can write his own ticket gives hit team out an an forfeit the rest of a 90 million dollar contract on principles? What I do hope for is that there is a clear decision either way because I would hate to see this team and Manning be caught in a quandry and be on the wrong side of the choice. If Manning has to be cut because the neck isn't right at that time and then becomes better in the later part of the year, and the Colts have selected Luck, would Manning come back under the same structured contract or would the Colts even be able to pull that off? On the other side, lets say the Colts decide to be blindly faithfull to Manning and stay on the contract even though Manning hasn't progressed and he does not work out, that has major effects on the Colts cap and the teams ability to move on post Manning era. The team has to be on the right side of whatever decision is made for the team to be viable in the quickest amount of time, otherwise the team will suffer a fanbase loss if they are brought back to pre-Manning years. Sooooo much rides on getting this right with Manning and Manning alone. I hope Manning is able to come back and perform at his pre surgical level over all though and the decision is made before the season is up because he will get to practice and ease our minds.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of: That Manning will need more time than we can give him but be ready eventually and have to go find another team.

Redo Peytons contract, draft Luck, resign Mathis and Wayne.

I am thinking that Mathis MAY get another contract but Wayne may expect more than he is going to be offered here and move to another team. NY Giants would seem to be a good fit for him but I highly doubt he is going to get that 5-8 mil/yr kinda contract, especially from the Colts. Mathis too will be overpaid but I think he will get his from this team before Wayne gets his inflated contract. I sure wish we had a better picture on what the cap is this year and what it is next year from a player to player perspective. Bav used to runa site like this but I think he has lost the extra time to dedicate to it. If anyone has such a site, please post it or PM me with it.

So let's say that Manning is recovering but still not cleared to practice in Feb. Or not fully able to give the team an idea of whether the nerve is going to regenerate enough to play. At that point, he's basically told us to cut him, according to the quotes I've seen around here.

Option 1: We renegotiate a new much more cap friendly contract with him in free agency.

Option 2: Will the Jets or one of those perennially "on the verge" teams with unreliable QB's give him a try? I think Rex Ryan would give his left nut for even a chance at an eventually healthy Manning. So would Baltimore.

I have a hard time seeing the possibility of option 3. Seems to me like Manning will exhaust every option open to him before he retires. That's just my opinion, knowing how much he LOVES this game. What do you all think? Are there other possibilities I haven't thought of?

Can we just resign him in free agency if we opt out of his contract? I don't know the free agency rules.

I like option 2, trade Manning for Ray Rice. Then once and for all get rid of Brown. Rice, Addai, and Carter would be a stellar RB group.

Then draft whatever QB you think gives you the best shot at success at whatever position you have in the draft.

I am thinking that Mathis MAY get another contract but Wayne may expect more than he is going to be offered here and move to another team. NY Giants would seem to be a good fit for him but I highly doubt he is going to get that 5-8 mil/yr kinda contract, especially from the Colts. Mathis too will be overpaid but I think he will get his from this team before Wayne gets his inflated contract. I sure wish we had a better picture on what the cap is this year and what it is next year from a player to player perspective. Bav used to runa site like this but I think he has lost the extra time to dedicate to it. If anyone has such a site, please post it or PM me with it.

I dont see Wayne leaving Indy next year, he wants to be a Colt and Im sure he'll accept a contract with a lower price.

I like option 2, trade Manning for Ray Rice. Then once and for all get rid of Brown. Rice, Addai, and Carter would be a stellar RB group.

Then draft whatever QB you think gives you the best shot at success at whatever position you have in the draft.

Huh? Rice is worth Manning if healthy?

Huh? Rice is worth Manning if healthy?

Yes imo. This team is too reliant on a guy crowding 40. There comes a time to move on and if you can get one of the best running backs in the league for him you do it. Jmo though. Of course I am thinking more long term solution though, we would not be better next year, but certainly in 2-3. At some point its time to start the rebuilding process, if you can get a franchise QB in the draft, get a top RB via a trade, why not start that now? You still woudlnt be great next year, but better than now. But then next draft you get more lower picks to build.

This team is too far down to fix it with one guy coming back. Too thin in too many areas. Its getting to the point where we need to get bad for a few years to get good. That is just how the NFL draft system is built.

Edited by 04DarkShadowGT

Why do so many people think that Luck is the ONLY franchise QB in this year's draft? I would SO rather trade him for a defense and get a lower round QB that's good.

So your telling me you want ot pass up on the most pro ready, most accurate QB the draft has seen in years, for another QB who isn't half as good. Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Kirk Cousins... hah.

Just the thought of Manning in another uniform makes me ill. I really want him to retire as a colt with tidy ending, but I just get a feeling the longer this loosing streak goes and the longer Manning's recovery goes, the reality of Manning not being a Colt is a real possibility. I love this guy and what he has done for the Colts and this city. I really want this to work out and for him to stay a Colt for life. It never ends well when an all time QB finishes his career with another team. We all know the examples, no need to reset. Please Colts fans, careful what you wish for. Luck is being set up to fail. Manning is a Hall of Famer and maybe the best ever! Heal quickly Peyton.

This team is too far down to fix it with one guy coming back. Too thin in too many areas. Its getting to the point where we need to get bad for a few years to get good. That is just how the NFL draft system is built.

This team is no different than it has ever been. The only thing missing is Manning. If he were playing they would be no worse than 7-2 and could be unbeaten. Just imagine what the man could have done with a real defense.

This team is no different than it has ever been. The only thing missing is Manning. If he were playing they would be no worse than 7-2 and could be unbeaten. Just imagine what the man could have done with a real defense.

7-2 is unlikely because the overall team is much worse than last season.

no way,the best they would be is 5-4.This team has a lot of warts.

Option 2: Will the Jets or one of those perennially "on the verge" teams with unreliable QB's give him a try? I think Rex Ryan would give his left leg for even a chance at an eventually healthy Manning. So would Baltimore.

we go 2-14 next year with Andrew Luck at QB

Why do so many people think that Luck is the ONLY franchise QB in this year's draft? I would SO rather trade him for a defense and get a lower round QB that's good.

Absolutely Agree! If we do this, we can work on building the future while still winning now with a sure-fire hall of famer, Peyton Manning. (I know it's hard for some people to believe, but Andrew Luck is not a sure-fire hall of famer, considering he has done nothing in the NFL.)

So your telling me you want ot pass up on the most pro ready, most accurate QB the draft has seen in years, for another QB who isn't half as good. Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Kirk Cousins... hah.

Well, if my options are crappy team + Andrew Luck or Pretty good team + Landry Jones I'm taking the team + Jones and not even thinking twice about it.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that Terry Bradshaw was a better QB than Dan Marino was. But Terry Bradshaw has 4 superbowl rings while Dan Marino is covering his ringless fingers with his isotoner gloves