Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Day 4: DB's

Did Stanley Jean-Baptiste fare well today? That kid looks like a poor man's Richard Sherman. No kidding.

That's exactly what Mayock was saying. He ran a 4.5 something. Not sure what the official time is though. I've only been home an hour so this stuff is probably old. I'm watching now and I'll update but he may have already done everything and I'm just now catching up.

Also, McGill looks very undisciplined in the on the field drills, showing the weaknesses that long corners are known to have. Still a good prospect though. Has a nice back pedal. And I like this safety from Michigan, Isaiah Lewis. But Bradly and Verrett are killing it.

I'm starting to notice that there isn't a huge disparity in the skill level of the CB's. Usually you have like 3 tiers of players: The 1st being guys who are definitive first round talent. Then in the second tier, you have your guys who aren't as polished but are 2nd-early 3rd talents who can probably start. And then you have your 3rd tier guys who are developmental guys you can coach up and turn into starters, a few diamonds in the rough can be found.

Most mocks were throwing around names like Roberson, Fuller, and Purifoy as the true 2nd round guys, but most of those guys have been un-impressive and didn't separate from the pack. Most of the CB's are all in the same tier. A lot of these guys are all arguably on the same tier. It's a deep class, but a lot of these guys are more like 3rd-4th round picks. But it's good because you don't have to be scared and draft a CB in the 2nd because you might not get a good one later.

Dennard and Gilbert are gone in the 1st. Only Roby and Verrett are really legit 2nd round talent.

Also, McGill looks very undisciplined in the on the field drills, showing the weaknesses that long corners are known to have. Still a good prospect though. Has a nice back pedal. And I like this safety from Michigan, Isaiah Lewis. But Bradly and Verrett are killing it.

That is the knock on McGill.  Tests well, but on the field he's a bit stiff.  I really like him, but at the same token, I think he'll need a year before he's seriously productive.   Seems like a similar story for Jean-Baptiste.  I still like drafting one of these guys in the 3rd over the ILBs we've discussed.

Any S look good at our 2nd pick need a ball hawk to pair with Landry Bethea and Landry together sucks

The safety, LB, and CB class are all similar in the sense that there are a lot of intriguing prospects who aren't 1-2nd round picks, but there are a lot of them who you can get late, and coach up in to decent starters. Safety is one of  those positions you can get late. So there were a handful of safties that we could look at late. Jonathan Dowling, Isaiah Lewis, etc.... 

The one safety that looks good in 2nd or 3rd(if he falls that far) is Deone Bucannon.

The safety, LB, and CB class are all similar in the sense that there are a lot of intriguing prospects who aren't 1-2nd round picks, but there are a lot of them who you can get late, and coach up in to decent starters. Safety is one of  those positions you can get late. So there were a handful of safties that we could look at late. Jonathan Dowling, Isaiah Lewis, etc.... 

The one safety that looks good in 2nd or 3rd(if he falls that far) is Deone Bucannon.

Dion Bailey in the 3rd

Jason Verret's the best corner in this draft IMO. Thought so before the combine and am convinced now. I just hope he didnt do to much and get himself into the late first, early 2nd area. I figured he would slide the the bottom of the 2nd for sure, just based on size and some of these other apparently good corners in this class (all happen to be 6'3 200lb.. Size doesnt make a db people!) 

Jason Verret's the best corner in this draft IMO. Thought so before the combine and am convinced now. I just hope he didnt do to much and get himself into the late first, early 2nd area. I figured he would slide the the bottom of the 2nd for sure, just based on size and some of these other apparently good corners in this class (all happen to be 6'3 200lb.. Size doesnt make a db people!) 

I've tried a bunch of different scenarios where either him or Roby fall to us in the 2nd. It'd be difficult. In round 2 he has to make it past Pittsburgh, the Jets, Bengals, and a few other teams who have CB needs. Don't forget San Francisco has 12 picks, they could trade up (as they have done in the past) at any time and snatch a corner or WR in the 2nd.

Verrett after today i would like to see with the Horseshoe on the helmet. There was another corner that caught my eye but his name slips my mind

I'm a huge fan of Verrett.  He went to high school with my eldest son, is a local (to me) kid, and he did awesome yesterday.  Size is the big issue with him, obviously, but he has the speed and cover skills to overcome that lack of prototypical height.  I don't think there is a chance he lasts deep into the second round though.

Keith Mcgill, Kyle Fuller, and Bradley Roby should be there in the 2nd if we decide to go CB and their no ILB's worth taking.

McGill and Fuller would be there, but drafting either of them in the 2nd would be an over-draft. Both of those guys will be there in the 3rd too. McGill could drop to the 4th with his somewhat underwhelming combine performance could mean he'll drop. Would have to trade up for him though.

No way Roby last deep into the 2nd with how well he ran and performed yesterday.

The safety, LB, and CB class are all similar in the sense that there are a lot of intriguing prospects who aren't 1-2nd round picks, but there are a lot of them who you can get late, and coach up in to decent starters. Safety is one of those positions you can get late. So there were a handful of safties that we could look at late. Jonathan Dowling, Isaiah Lewis, etc....

I would just like a day one starter at FS from the draft cause the pair of Landry and Bethea sucks big time and the good FA S won't be available

McGill and Fuller would be there, but drafting either of them in the 2nd would be an over-draft. Both of those guys will be there in the 3rd too. McGill could drop to the 4th with his somewhat underwhelming combine performance could mean he'll drop. Would have to trade up for him though.

No way Roby last deep into the 2nd with how well he ran and performed yesterday.

Fuller should make it to the third but not by the time we pick. Over draft maybe a little in the second but he would be an instant #2 cb and a huge upgrade from Toler. So I would be happy with Fuller in the second.

That is the knock on McGill.  Tests well, but on the field he's a bit stiff.  I really like him, but at the same token, I think he'll need a year before he's seriously productive.   Seems like a similar story for Jean-Baptiste.  I still like drafting one of these guys in the 3rd over the ILBs we've discussed.

This is what I dont get...if you acknowledge that hes stiff on the field why do you still really like him? Thats akin to a receiver who cant catch. I dont care if your 6'3 and run  a 4.2 if you cant catch it doesnt matter. Which is what I said when they signed DHB.. Its just simply a fatal flaw. Wouldnt take either at any point to be honest, let some other team make the mistake.

This is what I dont get...if you acknowledge that hes stiff on the field why do you still really like him? Thats akin to a receiver who cant catch. I dont care if your 6'3 and run  a 4.2 if you cant catch it doesnt matter. Which is what I said when they signed DHB.. Its just simply a fatal flaw. Wouldnt take either at any point to be honest, let some other team make the mistake.

I said he was a bit stiff, not that he was so stiff as to make him undraftable.  He can clearly cover and do a good job of it, which if you watch tape on him, you'll see.  Like catching, this is somethign that can be coached.  Where I think your analogy falls short is DHB was notorious for drops.  It was bad enough that, even with good coaching, he would have average hands at best.  Include with that, a confidence issue.  With any 3rd round pick, you're going to be looking at guys with minor flaws such as this.  You're better off getting a guy with good measurables and a coachable flaw than a guy that has obvious physical limitations, IMO. 

I'm telling you guys, as a Buckeye fan and having watched him play A LOT, Roby isn't that good. He's not that great in man coverage, gets lost at time when playing zone, still has issues in playing the ball and the receiver (much like Cassius Vaughn), and isn't good at tackling in the open field either. He doesn't play as nearly as fast as his combine time.

Ohio State doesn't play the toughest of schedules and rarely sees top quality WR's. However, their secondary all around was horrible this year and Roby should be far from excluded. No doubt somebody will jump at him in the 2nd round, but don't seeing him being any better than an average 2 to possibly being a decent nickel corner. I hate talking about my favorite teams players like that but the hype this guy has received has been amazing.

Bump/Press Corners tend to be more stiff. Deion Sanders said the same thing about Dennard during his on field workouts. When he talked to him later though he said it's okay because he's a true bump and run corner. It's more about being physical and jamming than it is about being able to run along side them. McGill could still use some polish though.